Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pokemon colosseum ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So is the jank fixable? Like can this be patched or is it just broken beyond all measure?

all jank is fixable, whether they fix it or not is a different matter altogether

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

Really getting the feeling here the devs wanted to set this game in Mexico or Central America more broadly but we’re told it wasn’t white enough.

This has been my unfortunate theory for a while now. It’s a shame because India would without a doubt be the perfect setting for a Pokémon game. It’s a country that actually does have jungle, deserts, and snowy mountains! No need to place a desert in Wales!

why would you think this, the map is literally shaped like Spain. we had Pokémon Hawaii two gens ago. Gamefreak has never given a poo poo about accurate climates, they put a desert in New Jersey

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MoonCrab posted:

This debate is based on a fake premise since the start. You can just add VA to a game, and put an option to disable it if you want. Wow. An option? Like, allowing the player to make choices, in order to tailor their personal experience? Wild.

“just adding va to the game” takes time and money and they might not deem it to be worth the additional investment, which it probably isn’t considering how rushed the games already are tbqh. “just throw it in and make it toggleable” only works as an argument if it’s something that would be quick and easy to implement (like Set mode…)

quote:

Anyway, anybody got any romhacks they'd recommend? I still wanna play some manner of pokemon game and completely forgot this was an option lol. Preferably something that has all of the pokemon, or at least most of them. I've missed the last... 3(?) generations and I'd like to see them all.

i was playing Radical Red for a bit before this game came out. didn’t get that far so I don’t know if it gets really BS romhack hard later on but it was pretty fun from what I played. it’s FireRed with Gen VIII mechanics and Pokémon, lots of difficulty settings and options to reduce/eliminate grinding.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 20, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

way more than the framerate issues what really bothers me is that the battles feel like a downgrade from how fast and snappy arceus’s battles were. switching Pokémon in particular is really slow, it’s annoying. the general feel of running around and exploring also feels like a downgrade from Arceus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every animation going into in and out of battle was way way more sluggish in PLA. Not to mention the combat just worse overall. You're crazy

nah I just double checked and I am definitely right, it is you who is the one who is crazy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

objectively incorrect

you’re literally hallucinating, the difference is really obvious

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

wrong. you are. and you re in a psych ward right now. take your pills.

you are tripping on peyote in the middle of woods right now, put the phone down

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The way stuff is organized in terms of level is so weird lol. The dark Team Star crew and the water gym are literally right next to each other but there’s a 10-level gap between them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Borsche69 posted:

i know this new game sucks but there needs to be a moratorium on the words 'jank' or 'jank'y or 'jankieness' there has to be a different way to express how much this game doesnt loving work

nah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Borsche69 posted:

this thread uses the word 'jank' like its the sa standard operating procedure

Can we get a moratorium on you being a gigantic dork

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what is “the game everyone wants” even

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Okay it's probably explained in one of the terrible terrible dialogue boxes I've been mashing through, but I do not understand the area numbers. The left side of the island it seemed obvious like oh okay so area twos seem to be like level 20+. But then this desert has mobs that are like 30+, but the trainers are all around my lower 20s level? So okay maybe i'll try exploring the right side. Oh area two is on the other side of area three, I guess I'm gonna to be needing to avoid really tough encounters for area three while I make my way to area two! Oh wait no, this Pokemon I just ran into in area 3 is level 14. What on earth?

I know people hate this kind of thing cause I guess it ruins the mystery of the open worldness, but I would love for it to just show a Pokemon level range on the map in each spot so I can get a better sense of things.

the area numbers mean nothing and the level curve was written by a madman.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

also re: level curve - this game is much better than SwSh because the Titan pokemon and Star bosses have giant HP bars and are willing to punish you for having glass cannon pokemon. My team mvp has been naclistack because its very defensive and salt cure has come in clutch for some of the stronger bosses

yeah I’ve been going out of my way to do fights without over leveling and they’ve all been pretty fun so far. The fire leader put up a good fight

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry, I probably should have pointed out that Hard Drive is part of The Hard Times, a satirical website. That article was meant to be funny (and it was)

no, it’s from Hard Drive Minus, the part of hard drive where they are boring and serious, the humor you are experiencing is unintended

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Framboise posted:

It looks more like you'd be better off starting going east from the Academy and working your way around.

I followed the advice to go west first and was very confused at how quickly the levels spiked in that direction while east is far, far more gradual.
no it’s very simple, you just go west, then east, then west again, then east, then slightly less east, then slightly more east, then west, then east, then west, then north, then west, then south, then north, then west, then east. what part of this are you not getting??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

until hisuian zoroark is in ScarVio I’m afraid Arceus is just superior in every way that matters (having hisuian zoroark)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beat the game, the whole end sequence owned.
Top-tier Pokémon game imo, even with all the glaring issues.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Countblanc posted:

They do lots of damage

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s a great game that was released 6 months sooner than it should’ve been

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

I picked Quaxly so I didn’t really have a problem with Mela honestly (also I think he was already on his second stage when I took her on)

It’s a level 26 fight, your starter should be evolved by then.
I didn’t end up using my duck much in that fight because of Sunny day

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, for those that played Violet is Turo any different from Sada personality wise or is it mostly just a case of find/replace “mom” with “dad”, “past” with “future”, and “ Koraidon” with “Miradon” (also does he use any different Pokemon than Sada when you fight him at the end)?

From what I’ve seen Turo is the exact same as Sada in terms of personality. He uses a different team when you fight him made up of future paradox Pokémon instead of past ones.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still haven’t seen a single shiny in my entire playthrough and it’s making me paranoid that I’ve been running past Shiny Nymbles or whatever other tiny Pokémon and not noticing them lol

why don’t they sparkle on the overworld like they did in Arceus???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Same, and frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about

they are neat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I named the duck josuke and each evolution made the shoe fit even more

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

big black turnout posted:

I strongly considered the duck but I hate the final form which pushed me to the cat

Edit: have any of the games had starters that weren't fire water grass? It would be cool to have one that was a different triangle

not in the main games but some of the spin offs have had different starter types. Colosseum had you start with both Umbreon and Espeon (though you get to choose from the standard elemental triangle later)
the mystery dungeon games also give you a lot of different starters alongside the fire-water-grass ones

oh yeah and there was Pokémon Yellow where you start with Pikachu

I don’t think they’ll ever stray from the established starter trio in the main games because it’s the most intuitive and obvious introduction to type weaknesses for beginners. stuff like Psychic > Fighting > Dark > Psychic is a bit more abstract than Fire > Grass > Water > Fire

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m pretty sure Rika is, like, the final boss of lesbians or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm very sure every one of you is projecting your own poo poo into this. Except me who thinks the home ec teacher is a long lost jojo

I am not a lesbian let alone the final boss of them, tyvm
(you are correct about the home ec teacher tho)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in that late-game part where dialogue shows up while you’re walking around you can pick up items and the item text will cover up the dialogue text while it keeps scrolling in the background lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

The good thing about choosing Quaxly is that it's the only one you can't get in wonder trade.

But also I'm a little miffed there's no post game. Not even a token battle tower. I'm at 399/400 in the pokedex, will the national dex or something open up when I finish?

nope , there’s just the gym leader refights and the school tournament

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I ran into that music bug while I was fighting Rika, thought it was really weird that the elite four theme was a 10-second loop that didn’t even change for Terastalizing. Luckily I realized something was wrong and restarted the game before doing the other 3 fights because the full theme is a certified banger

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Was Black and White really that good? I kinda bounced off them for some reason, but X/Y I thought was absolutely fantastic at the time and compared to B/W/B2/W2

yeah they kicked rear end.
they were super polished in their presentation and mechanics, had great Pokémon designs, and were rich in optional content.
The only real shortcomings they have is that they came before the introduction of fairy types and the elimination of HMs, and that the main stories cap out in only the 50’s so you won’t be using cool evolved mons like Hydreigon until the post game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

1. scarvi
2. swoshi
3. golsil
4. sumo
5. plat

dont see bw 1 or 2 anywhere on this list. in fact im cehcking and theyre at the very bottom.

gold and silver are mid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

added/defined lots of stuff and the remakes were very good. infinitely more interesting than bw, the most boring region ever created full of intolerable npcs.

they made solid improvements to the overall formula and I loved playing Pokémon Stadium 2 but Gold/Silver themselves are pretty weak. the pacing is awful and the level curve is a mess. the Gen II dex added good mons that I love but it feels more like an add-on to Gen I’s dex than something that has its own identity, you’re still spending most of the game dealing with Gen I mons. It’s really stupid that you can’t catch Houndour, Murkrow, or ANY other dark types until Kanto. The team rocket plotline is bad and tedious. And as cool as revisiting Kanto seemed, it ended up being a let down because it was a late addition that they could barely fit on the cartridge.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 1, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

yeah going back to kanto sucked rear end. everyone thinkis this. absolutely wasnt incredible as a kid and made the game feel huge. also yeah the level curve. its uh... bad somehow. im sure. A Greed.
Kanto was cool when you first entered into it but it got boring fast because they had to trim it down to the barest basics

the level curve sucks because you spend like half of Johto fighting a constant stream of level 25-30 trainers of equal difficulty, then it suddenly jumps up into the 40-50 range for Claire and the Elite Four. The wild Pokémon are also all comically underleveled throughout the entire game which makes the game really grindy if you ever decide to change your team, it’s easily the most grindy Pokémon game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

never had an issue sorry sounds like a personal issue.

nah it’s just a pretty boring game. HG/SS improved it but it’s still got a lot of the same issues. They should re-remake it and make it better this time

Stux posted:

never had an issue sorry sounds like a personal issue. all post games would be improved by replacing a big tower of fights or whatever with a truncated version of the last games region.

it’d be easier to accept it as just a post game battlefest if the Johto part of the game could stand on its own better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bleck posted:

Every time people say Gold/Silver is bad you ask why and they start talking about level curves and distributions and then I zone all the way out because I'm a normal person.

I'm glad my good friend Dunsparce got some love in these games.

it’s because they’re boring and grindy op
they were boring and grindy when I played them as a kid too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

literally never grinded in the game as a child. once mroe this thread is laid low by rpgs 10 year olds easily conquored lol

maybe you were one of those boring kids who didn’t use any Pokémon besides their starter, I guess you never have to grind if you never catch any new Pokémon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

u dont have ot grind bcos u would just stick the pokemon in your party and have it take down stuff higher level than it bcos the game is made for children to play op.

you cannot do this against claire the swinubs in the ice cave are like 20 levels under her weakest Pokémon she’ll kill them before they can even do one attack.
I’m sure you were very badass as a 10 year old but it sounds like ur just making poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

12 level diff. u can use a status move first and then swap them in. or you can get absolutely rolled by a game for 10 year olds and then admit to it for some reason, up to you.

her dragons are not dying in one hit from a loving level 22 swinub lmao