Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Game seems fun but too jank for me to pay the 60 right now. I hope the choice pays off for me and they do that "update with the rest of the content we wanted to launch with" patch 1 month later like they did with PLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stux posted:

but it sliterally the game everyone wanted
y'all it's Hard Drive. Relax.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its the "serious" section of harddrive wherhe they also have stuff like this lol

https://hard-drive.net/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet/how-to-level-up-pokemon-faster-in-pokemon-scarlet-violet/

lets GOOoooo

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Whoever decided that the new evolution method for this game is make a Pokémon walk for 1000 steps in Lets Go mode needs to walk straight into a herd of Taurus. Why do the tumble weed and defibrillator have the same evolve method. I’ve had them in my team this whole time to get levels :negative:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Augus posted:

what is “the game everyone wants” even

Step 1: all pokemon
Step 2: all moves
Step 3: proper Battle Frontier

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Step 3: proper Battle Frontier

this

also mega evos

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, I've played through almost the whole game and this is like, next to Legends Arceus, Emerald, and SuMo up in my favorite Pokemon games.
if this game had a few more of the arceus mechanics (ie: being able to aim pokeballs, being able to toss my entire team out for funny screencaps, slightly better UI, shiny sound effect) it would probably be my favorite polemon game? even with the lack of optimization

also i can never go back to random encounters, i need overworld pokemon for all games

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stux posted:

its the "serious" section of harddrive wherhe they also have stuff like this lol

https://hard-drive.net/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet/how-to-level-up-pokemon-faster-in-pokemon-scarlet-violet/

lets GOOoooo
i legitimately did not know they had a serious section

Thats hosed up

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Augus posted:

That thing in Let's Go! where you could put little outfits on your Pikachu/Eevee except for every pokemon in the game.

Also Koraidon is cool and all but it would be a thousand times better if there were just a bunch of normal pokemon you could ride around. Let me sprint around on a Dodrio.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Okay it's probably explained in one of the terrible terrible dialogue boxes I've been mashing through, but I do not understand the area numbers. The left side of the island it seemed obvious like oh okay so area twos seem to be like level 20+. But then this desert has mobs that are like 30+, but the trainers are all around my lower 20s level? So okay maybe i'll try exploring the right side. Oh area two is on the other side of area three, I guess I'm gonna to be needing to avoid really tough encounters for area three while I make my way to area two! Oh wait no, this Pokemon I just ran into in area 3 is level 14. What on earth?

I know people hate this kind of thing cause I guess it ruins the mystery of the open worldness, but I would love for it to just show a Pokemon level range on the map in each spot so I can get a better sense of things.

the area numbers mean nothing and the level curve was written by a madman.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'd be 50% happier if there were a way to actually aim your Let's Go Pokémon when you send them out instead of the ball just defying physics to flop out in a pretedermined spot in front of you

Anyway the gym leader theme is so loving good. I wish the Terastalize theme built on it instead of completely switching styles

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
also re: level curve - this game is much better than SwSh because the Titan pokemon and Star bosses have giant HP bars and are willing to punish you for having glass cannon pokemon. My team mvp has been naclistack because its very defensive and salt cure has come in clutch for some of the stronger bosses

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Heliotropical posted:

Oh god. Imagine if Shedinja was in this game and able to terastallize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0gp7ZVToI

Turns out it's already been tested out! Unsurprisingly Shedinja was very quickly banned.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

also re: level curve - this game is much better than SwSh because the Titan pokemon and Star bosses have giant HP bars and are willing to punish you for having glass cannon pokemon. My team mvp has been naclistack because its very defensive and salt cure has come in clutch for some of the stronger bosses

yeah I’ve been going out of my way to do fights without over leveling and they’ve all been pretty fun so far. The fire leader put up a good fight

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

There aren't repels in this game, right? That would be cool so I could make all the animals run away from me as I ride my motorcycle through their habitat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Augus posted:

-difficulty settings
-more effort/time put into visuals and animations
-not taking away things people liked from prior games like better outfit customization
-battle frontier(not actually what "everyone" wants but I loving want it)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

found a shiny pig and didn't realize it had take down before false swiping it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Thoughts from a bit farther into the game:

Positive:
- I wasn't super crazy about a lot of the new Pokemon designs at first but I'm warming up to them quite a bit.
- I love how many Pokemon there are to catch in each area. I've only got 2 gym badges and I've already caught ~150 Pokemon. It's making the idea of completing the Pokedex seem pretty reasonably reachable.
- Because of scale/balance issues I mentioned below, I took on the Ground Titan like 20 levels under where I should have been and it was genuinely challenging and fun. I want more of that without having to "sequence break"!
- Tinkaton is not as strong as she should be, but she has a big hammer and she is my friend.

Negative:
- I really do wish there was some sort of scaling system in the game. I like to explore and wander, yes-- not even grind, just explore!-- but when I get back on track and try to complete stuff, I find myself completely overleveled, even after cycling out my strongest dudes. (I've made a box called "retirement home" for Pokemon that are just too strong for their own good right now). I had Pokemon at level 35-40 before I even hit the second gym because I started exploring Alfornada and the desert before heading west. Like, if people can fuss about Gen 2's balance issues, I feel like the same should be true here.
- The visual issues of the game have been complained about to no end, so I don't want to pile on that and won't. It's just disappointing, is all.
- A lot of areas are very vast with absolutely gently caress all to do in them. What is the point of having such a huge world where there's so little to actually discover outside of TMs? I'm starting to feel tempted to start blazing through areas because there's just so little to find, but I'm concerned I'll end up missing something.

Petty:
- Do you really need 5 text boxes for Klawf's ability? It shouldn't take like 15 seconds to say "hey this dude's stats changed".

edit: also I love Mela and the way she walks because of her doofy boots.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 21, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

salt cure is absolutely goated with the sauce

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry, I probably should have pointed out that Hard Drive is part of The Hard Times, a satirical website. That article was meant to be funny (and it was)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Thoughts after 2 gyms, 2 titans, and 2 Star bases:

-Weirdly, performance seems to be better the further I get into the game. The big city still kinda runs like poo poo, which is probably why there's not much in the way of actual cities this gen.
-I've had the game crash once when I was raiding the fire Team Star base, which I don't think I've ever had happen in a Pokemon game before. Luckily it autosaved right before I went into it.
-I'm glad they didn't do level scaling, it makes the world feel a lot more alive this way. I appreciate having a reason to do stuff so you can actually handle tougher areas(and on the flip side, it's nice to have the option to go "I've been playing this series for 20+ years, I can handle stuff that's 5 levels above me" so you can have some actual challenge if you want to). If the entire world got harder as you levelled up it'd feel fake as hell and destroy any incentive to actually play the game, and having it get harder as you complete objectives wouldn't be much better. I get that some of y'all wanted an experience where everything was always roughly your level, but that's fundamentally not what open world games do. Being nonlinear means having the possibility to get overlevelled as hell because you put off doing a path until late, and that's just the natural consequences of the player's choices(and frankly, if I'm not into a certain path, I should be able to trivialize it by putting it off for last).
-Echoing the "why the gently caress does it take half a minute for Klawf's ability to proc"
-Actually new Pokemon are a little sparse, but you can still find enough for a team+wiggle room to swap out stuff that isn't pulling its weight.
-I keep finding ominous poo poo with no immediate explanation - mysterious needles in the ground? A huge chained shut door with a message about ruinous tablets? Owns.
-I'm still having a good time with the game, which is what really counts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just caught a Tandemaus. They are an incredible Pokemon.

The little attack animation where they do a small jump, wind up their fists, and then do a punch together is so good.
When you send them out to go kill Pokemon in the wild, they do a little skip and it's extremely cute.
THEY SCREAM!!!!!!

In conclusion, Tandemaus is a 10/10 Pokemon and the best one this gen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry, I probably should have pointed out that Hard Drive is part of The Hard Times, a satirical website. That article was meant to be funny (and it was)

no, it’s from Hard Drive Minus, the part of hard drive where they are boring and serious, the humor you are experiencing is unintended

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

if this game had a few more of the arceus mechanics (ie: being able to aim pokeballs, being able to toss my entire team out for funny screencaps, slightly better UI, shiny sound effect) it would probably be my favorite polemon game? even with the lack of optimization

also i can never go back to random encounters, i need overworld pokemon for all games

I don't know why they don't let you do this! It's such a nice easy addition to the "catch em all" conceit; take fun screenshots of your favorite pokemon and post them on social media. The rickety engine supports this since they all hop out when you make a picnic, you just can't position them or not have the picnic table in the way.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Here's a handy spoiler free little map of how the level scaling goes on the major objectives.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been loving this, the world is open enough to get way outside my level and it's just fun to ride around on Koraidon.

Though it seems pretty disappointing that we're back in "fight pokemon 1 at a time to train EVs" territory now. It seems really odd given how easy it is to fix everything else about a pokemon now...

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Here's a handy spoiler free little map of how the level scaling goes on the major objectives.

so it looks like if you go bottom up, you'll do all three paths in a roughly ascending order?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how S/V Nuzlock will work.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Having fun running around beating up gyms with a haunted car engine, a mouse couple, a flamingo, a lightbulb, and The Fonz in duck form.

Game good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mycatscrimes posted:

so it looks like if you go bottom up, you'll do all three paths in a roughly ascending order?

It looks more like you'd be better off starting going east from the Academy and working your way around.

I followed the advice to go west first and was very confused at how quickly the levels spiked in that direction while east is far, far more gradual.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, the new egg processes are great. Just get some egg power from a meal in town, take an easy-to-catch Ditto and whatever you want to breed, go get a drink and you have like 10 eggs ready to go.

Then it's stupidly fast with a Flame Body Carkoal or whatever to hatch them. I've just been hucking Sprigatitos into Surprise Trade all afternoon since I got a Japanese one to breed with.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
One thing that does get to me a bit-- why does every Pokemon game only ever seem to top out at around level 60 for trainer battles and such? If I'm facing the champion of the entire region, it'd be cooler if they had Pokemon in their 90s or something. Would really help in terms of making the level curve more balanced for this game too imo, that way you're not super overleveled 3 badges into the game whether you're trying to be or not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I need to stop playing this for a few days :ohdear:

I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving and was looking forward to playing this on the trip but I've already got 14 of the 18 badges lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lhet posted:

Been loving this, the world is open enough to get way outside my level and it's just fun to ride around on Koraidon.

Though it seems pretty disappointing that we're back in "fight pokemon 1 at a time to train EVs" territory now. It seems really odd given how easy it is to fix everything else about a pokemon now...

Aaagh I haven't thought about EV's yet but that sucks if there aren't poke jobs or anything.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is great, thank you. I've been following a level scaling guide but I also like not knowing what's coming up.

I'm 50/50 on some of the new Pokémon. Clodsire and the mice are some of my favorites ever, but some of these things look like procedurally generated creatures in Spore

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Framboise posted:

It looks more like you'd be better off starting going east from the Academy and working your way around.

I followed the advice to go west first and was very confused at how quickly the levels spiked in that direction while east is far, far more gradual.
no it’s very simple, you just go west, then east, then west again, then east, then slightly less east, then slightly more east, then west, then east, then west, then north, then west, then south, then north, then west, then east. what part of this are you not getting??

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Framboise posted:

One thing that does get to me a bit-- why does every Pokemon game only ever seem to top out at around level 60 for trainer battles and such? If I'm facing the champion of the entire region, it'd be cooler if they had Pokemon in their 90s or something. Would really help in terms of making the level curve more balanced for this game too imo, that way you're not super overleveled 3 badges into the game whether you're trying to be or not.

This is just a thing with jrpgs in general. It's pretty rare for a game to reach the level cap, and in general the main campaign only puts you half way through it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t have the map locations memorized but was thinking of tackling the Earth Titan, Fire base, and Grass gym first. What’s the minimum level recommendation for those (I can always grind off some Tera raids if need be)?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Larryb posted:

I don’t have the map locations memorized but was thinking of tackling the Earth Titan, Fire base, and Grass gym first. What’s the minimum level recommendation for those (I can always grind off some Tera raids if need be)?

I don't recall specifics, but the fire base is definitely spicier than the other two. Heck, Team Star in general is the harder content, which may be why the game seems to push for going east or west for the gym and titan content first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

I don't recall specifics, but the fire base is definitely spicier than the other two. Heck, Team Star in general is the harder content, which may be why the game seems to push for going east or west for the gym and titan content first.

Ah, the PokeCenter I talked to recommended the Grass gym first and I figured I’d tackle those since they were on their way and I had a couple Water types on hand, though it’s possible the recommendations are based on location rather than level