Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So if I'm looking at this correctly, Snorlax is unobtainable, like it can't even be transferred over through Pokemon Home?
gently caress that poo poo, if that's true then call me when they inevitably release a DLC that makes him available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

kiminewt posted:

Why do people turn off autosave? In case they fail to catch something and want to go back to a save?

Yeah, or if you're about to be handed a pokemon and want to make sure you get one that has decent IVs or the right nature or is shiny or whatever.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizard2 posted:

has anybody actually been banned from Home after that recent announcement? havent heard anything

What recent announcement?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Is there a reason why Nintendo doesn't just directly interfere with the development of Pokemon games?

Because they know it's a license to print money? I mean, if you told me I was going to make hundreds of millions of dollars and didn't have to do anything other than wait on the check to cash, why would I interfere with that process?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm only far enough to unlock picnics, then I'm holding out until they come out with whatever expac puts Snorlax into the game because I am goddamn stubborn and will not budge on that, but this is legit the first new pokemon game in possibly decades where there are new pokemon I'm actually excited to have in my party, instead of ultimately going with the same handful of Gen 1 and 2 mons I always have.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Because of the way access to the boxes works, you can swap team members between members of the Elite Four.

I wonder what the ratio is on that decision. Like, how many parts "We made this doable because it's a kid's game and we want it to be more accessible for them" vs how many parts as a nod to the anime where he's constantly swapping his teams in and out for his tournament matches.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blaziken386 posted:

extremely evil and hosed up that beast balls, which you could buy an infinite amount of for cheap in gen 7, are locked behind completing the entire pokedex in this game. have they ever considered that ceruledge would look amazing in them.

does gamefreak realize that arbitrarily locking something like that to one-per-save is why people go out of their way to find duplication glitches?

Yeah, they should seriously just let you glamour your pokeballs by now.

"Ok, so my Snorlax was caught in a Great Ball, but I really like how Heavy Balls look. Click click, now my Snorlax is in a Heavy Ball."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I hope they put Munchlax/Snorlax in the DLC so I can finally play Violet, because I am a stubborn man-child and I am not going on any Pokeadventures without my best boy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, when they get around to releasing the Home update for real, will I be able to finally bring my Snorlax buddy to Scarlet/Violet, or will I still have to wait for the DLC to come out in fall?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's probably a wait for the DLC. Snorlax doesn't have any data for things like movesets for Gen IX yet.

:negative:
One of these days, I'll actually be able to play this loving game.
At least the bugs and glitches should be patched out by the time I decide to actually leave the schoolgrounds and start my adventure.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HootTheOwl posted:

I think SV shouldn't have told you were everything was, you should have either had to a) discover it yourself, or b) be told about them. Have Nemona/Arven tell you where Gym/Giant pokemon 1 was instead of marking all 12 on your map. They'd still be there (and you could get a bonus bit of dialog if you find them before someone tells you about them) but IDK. I think one of the worst things about open world games is when the world opens up and your map becomes full of markers. (Terra raids, IMO have this problem too)

Seems like the sort of thing that they should make optional.

Like, just have the game pop up and ask if you want all or none of the markers revealed and make it something you can change by talking to some Hiker NPC who can mark on your map where he saw something weird.
That way, if you want to explore and figure it out yourself, you're golden. And if you want it marked so you can get it over with, then you're also golden.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Asterite34 posted:

...that's not exactly a ringing endorsement

A successful scholar married to the daughter of the most famous man on the planet?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Neo_Crimson posted:

My wishlist fixes:

1. Bring back Super Training from X/Y

2. Ice should resist water, grass, and dragon

3. Regional Ground/Fairy Yamper that learns EQ by level up and evolves into something not boring looking.

4. Tera types are rolled into a "Hidden Type" mechanic. Also bring back Hidden Power and have it be whatever a Pokemon's Hidden Type is.

5. gently caress it, bring back all the generation gimmicks and have them co-exist.

6. Give Eveelutions actually good movepools, Espeon is currently the closest to doing this.

Definitely in favor of 5. Even if it's something like "You can only utilize two at a time"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Augus posted:

shinies should get a single extra base stat point over non-shinies, to drive people insane

Back in the 3/DS days when I was still using an Action Replay to hack in mons I didn't want to wait until post game to actually be able to raise, I noticed that a lot of Shiny pokemon had to have terrible IV scores in order to pass as legitimate.
Not sure if that's still the case, but, your post reminded me of that and it amused me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can do everything except catch version exclusives and some of the past-gen legendaries without ever going online, and the latter don't have dex entries if that makes a difference.

Earning enough Blueberry points to unlock the starters on your own is a tedious grind, but you can knock them out pretty fast if you group up with goons, which is a lot less terrible than online raids, and also how you unlock the other past legendaries.

Encountering past legendaries is always funny to me.

I mean, in RSE, Groudon and Kyogre showing up was a literal catastrophe. The global map was in danger of needing a drastic redraw as continents rose and fell rapidly.

Now there's some guy who's all "Yeah, I saw Groudon hanging out in a cave the other day, just eatin' some snacks."

That said, I do appreciate SwSh and being able to have Groudon on my team before my first gym battle, just because I like having my team "complete" before the post game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RatHat posted:

They had to make 18 Z-move animations work for 800+ Pokemon, it’s understandable

This is why I understand them not continuing Mega Evolutions, even though I still miss Mega Scizor.

I wish they'd have kept Gigantimax instead of introducing Tera forms though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All that said, I appreciate Iron Thorns and will be bummed out when it is inevitably gated behind post-game/dlc content in every subsequent generation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I use the last box for pokemon I either actually have an interest in raising or that are event pokemon that will probably end up transferred to Home at some point.
And then I don't organize the rest because odds are anything else is just something I caught for the pokedex and will ship it off in Mystery Trade if I ever interact with it again at all.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cambria Bold posted:

Gen 8 to me always felt like it had all the recessive genes of Gens 6 and 7 with none of their redeeming qualities. Its selection of rival-adjacents are one-note and don't really amount to much interesting like in XY, but they manage to stop the game every 5 minutes with cutscenes as in SM.

I miss rivals that were actually rivals, and not just cheerleaders who challenged you to a fight every once in awhile.

Like Blue, Blue was an rear end in a top hat. He was always one step ahead of you, and he wanted you to know it. There was satisfaction in sending him back to the Pokecenter.

Modern day rivals don't even register as a threat, because within the first 10 minutes of the game, you've already unambiguously been told that you are the Super Special Legendary Chosen One as Foretold in the Prophecy, so dealing with any so-called rivals is just free xp at best and a minor chore you have to deal with at worst.

But, I'm also just an old man complaining about a children's videogame.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gladion was kind of a 'jerk' rival even if Hop was your main one for SuMo. Same with Bebe.

Yeah but even then, it goes back to my other point about how you were already told by the plot that you're the Chosen One, so really, what kind of threat are you going to see him as?
And Gladion wasn't a jerk to you personally, he was just taking out his family issues on everyone around him.
Blue, since he's obviously the best example, was personally invested in making you his special project.

Although yeah, Nemona gets a pass. At least with her, it's pointed out repeatedly that she is literally holding back and just raising a fresh team parallel to yours specifically to help you train/kill time while you do your gym challenges. There's no "Ok! I'm super serious for real this time! *gets loving rekt*" like other rivals.
And yeah, Pokemon Goku is just fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The real question is who would come out on top between Nemona and Kieran.

(Its Nemona)

Is the fact that this is canon :thejoke:?
Because yeah, he tells you that she straight up pwned him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AlternateNu posted:

I want to know how powerful Geeta really is. You and Nemona beat her on the reg but never actually become top champion. >_>
What kind of bureaucratic nonsense lets her retain her grasp on power? :argh:

Like you said, bureaucracy.
"Top" Champion is probably some sort of job title, once you hit Champion rank then that's as high as you officially go as far as the league is concerned, unless you opt to work for them, then you can probably get a side hustle as a gym leader or elite 4 member.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 12, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Deeters posted:

Also you and Nemona are children, and she's an adult.

Counterpoint: Poppy

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vinylshadow posted:

Not a top champion though, merely an Elite Four

She still works for the league in an official capacity despite being 5.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Araxxor posted:

Apparently she's actually 9. :psyduck:

How?
I mean, isn't Red 10 at the start of R/B/Y?

Hell, I thought 10-12 was the default age of every mainline protagonist.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BlazetheInferno posted:

All I'm going to say about Geeta is that, by having "Champion" be a rank that is attainable by multiple people, and the final test to achieve it is beating Geeta, and she herself claims that she is incapable of holding back in a fight...

She is, by definition, the weakest champion in Paldea.

Which kinda makes sense.
I mean, out of all the regions, it really feels like Paldea puts the absolute least emphasis on their league. It's treated as more of a side hustle or a hobby than anything. Being a league official is secondary, hell maybe even tertiary, to anything else.

poo poo, as much as I like Larry, it's kinda ridiculous that he's a gym leader AND an elite 4 member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zuzie posted:

I think some people don't really like Carmine because of the events of the Teal Mask where she basically locks Kerian out of the loop about Ogerpon, which eventually leads to the set up of Indigo Disk.

I can't say I entirely agree with that reasoning. It seemed to me like the big trigger for Kieran's heel turn is the fact that Ogrepon decides to go with you instead of him, despite the fact that he's a Nice Guy. Hell, it's the whole reason he has the foresight to bring a Master Ball with him when you find Terapagos, because he knows that any Legendary Pokemon are going to automatically gravitate towards us and he isn't in the mood to get rejected twice.

I mean, yeah, Carmine keeping him in the dark about the goings on wasn't a very smart move, but that's not what really laid the groundwork for Indigo Disk.