Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TACD posted:

This isn't related to anything at all but I thought the thread might enjoy this morsel from a pathetic man:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...but-not-bonkers

Sometimes when I'm not inspired enough to read the entire article I settle for the graun url summary: alex-horne-secret-to-cult-show-taskmaster-offbeat-but-not-wacky-off-kilter-but-not-bonkers

wonder who or what does these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Can you please stop spaffing your royals all over my newsfeeds its starting to get a bit tedious

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
congrats on your latest 'disgraced former' i guess

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Boardwank empire

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega Comrade posted:

If housecats were made 5x bigger they would likely steal and murder children from the local school to leave on their owners beds as gifts.

imo that depends on whether you mean 5x height x 5x width x 5x depth or just 5x weight. also it's possible some gifted children would still be alive when found

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm Liz Truss, whining about not being warned about how lovely her budget was, after surrounding myself with obsequious yes men and sacking everyone who wasn't

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i didn't think ukraine were nazis until they sent that missile into poland

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Photogenic spidey tax

Found chilling on a road sign this summer.

For tattoo designs:

Waving at me cutely:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pistol_Pete posted:

The human body is remarkably unhappy in low-oxygen environments and will go from unconsciousness to irreversible brain damage to death in a remarkably short number of breaths. You'd think that as people can hold their breath for a minute or two with no ill effects, they'd equally be able to breathe in air lacking oxygen for a bit with no ill effects, but nope.

I thought in an enclosed environment, carbon dioxide poisoning would get you before the oxygen would run out

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I was reading discworld contemporaneously with the later harry potter books and it's baffling how little I can remember of the latter while the former still articulates foundational principles of how I think about the world.

this should make you a very lucky human being, but then you didn't dodge reading those books. I remember potter books being bad, with relative badness being mainly proportional to the number of pages each book had

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

The thing about Harry Potter is that it has fairly decent writing by the standards of genre fiction - at least in terms of being engaging and playful, not so much all the other things like plot and setting and whatnot.

I'm not saying I love it or anything, but there's a reason why it was so wildly popular.

I kept reading because of inertia and ended up hating each character for separate and individual reasons by the time I was finished

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Do you mean monoxide?
I think Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in your blood, so yeah it can cause you to die while there is still oxygen in the room.

As for Carbon Dioxide, this is present in the air naturally, but very low.

No I mean from exhalation, it's something like 4% of the air you breathe out, and to quote the top google search result "Concentrations >10% may cause convulsions, coma and death."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Does it though? Again at the same time we had His Dark Materials which I really enjoyed, and "attack and kill god to liberate humanity" is a hell of a premise. Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy are also very good and I think nail a much better atmosphere than the harry potter books. HP is not a standout in terms of quality even at the time, it just has a lot of inertia behind it.

It's very jrpg. I re-read dark materials recently and found it really good

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

But also that they are seemingly very uncritical of their consumption. I can buy that someone could be just utterly ignorant of the author's views on things, (although perhaps not now) but a lot of them seem actively unwilling to think about the things they consume recreationally. Which is just strange to me. I like HP lovecraft's work a lot, but I think it is improved if you know how much his own hosed up racism informed his work, because you can still appreciate the terror that he's communicating to you, but you can also understand that he genuinely felt that way towards just, normal loving people in his life. You might have engaged with it because you picked up on his fear of what scientific developments meant for humanity's place in the world, a loss of meaning and alienation from a world that is increasingly complex and impossible to understand, but he also extended that into "I saw an italian and had visions of the end of days"

The work is enhanced if you can read it both as a thing that contains elements you enjoy, but also understanding the limitations of the author and where they're clearly just writing their own hosed up poo poo into the work, and through that understanding you can understand more about why you like something that clearly contains things you disagree with, and even move on to transcending the author's failures and reconstructing the work in ways that highlight the things you do like and addressing the things you don't, as I think most people who enjoy lovecraft's or derivative works today would do.

If you don't do that you're left in this sort of... consumption prison where you are left with either this vague, cringing feeling that other people will judge you for the thing you like and you can't defend it, or some people just outright deny the existence of lovely themes or refuse to engage with them. Which I guess is a way to deal with it but I think that does have implications for how they handle other things in life.

I mean I'd agree with you that might make sense with Lovecraft but can you really see someone being like "coming to terms with rowling as a howling bigoted turd of hate really made me appreciate those novels that helped me endure growing up" because I can't see that ending happily

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

History Comes Inside! posted:

I go through phases where all I wanna do is read so I’ll tear through books like nobody’s business and then suddenly I have absolutely no attention span and won’t pick up another book for 6 months or so. I’m in the middle of a very stop-start re-read of the Discworld novels right now, which hasn’t had a “start” moment since like November.

I blame the kindle for making it so easy to put a book down without having the physical book there to prompt you to get back to it. Still love it though.

Same. I can usually keep the reading streak going as long as I have a steady supply of readable series of novels, or until I step on my e-reader, but it always gets interrupted and that always saddens me

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

You could look at the HP books critically and figure out what exactly it is that you like, and which bits you don't. And then understanding which is which you can better articulate and internalize liking things that is is very easy to level deserved criticism of, and have a better understanding of what you might like in future. It is freeing because you don't have to go to bat for the whole thing and you might be able to find other things that have far less tension between things you like and things you don't.

Lovecraft's novels are virtually indistinguishable from his writing about seeing an immigrant one time. Horror at red hook is literally just "oh god I went to new york and there were too many ethnicities and I had a dissociative episode as a result" so there's an even bigger need to figure out why you enjoy reading his work, I think.

I liked hearing that Justin Sledge, doctor of esotericism, went on a Lovecraft convention and delivered an address on how Lovecraft knew gently caress all about the occult, and the attendants were all like "figures, in lots of ways he kinda sucked"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQt5DQP_UqQ

Ol' Howard never did make much to enable uncritical reading. It's one of his better qualities as a writer I think

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Would you believe when I first read him as a kid I actually did not at all pick up on the racism and thought he was remarkably unracist for the time? Clearly he is just writing about aliens and that's why the people are scary, because they worship the cosmic gods!

Nineteen-thirties racism was a lot more subtle. You couldn't just write "piccaninnies with watermelon smiles" and get million-pound speech deals back then

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also ^^ pro youtube channel tip. It's all about the serious study of the arcane, none of the woo. His episode on the Voynich codex is pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67YzIOZTZXk

And if he refers to a particular occult tome or practice you haven't heard of, there's probably an episode on it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I really need to finish that one, it's very long so I never got through it all.

I really like mountains of madness and dexter ward though, very atmospheric the first one and a pretty drat good mystery the second.

In some other thread we were discussing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and the guy who coded the PC version (I think) was in the thread. I told him the escape from the hotel was the last time I was genuinely frightened by a video game which he took as a compliment

I never did finish that game, but that scene stuck with me. It's from the shadow over innsmouth iirc

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Don't the boats stop themselves when they reach the shore

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
channel water being so turbulent, stopping the boats would actually require constant corrective acceleration

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
In fairness that logo could either be warning people about the imminent destruction of the dutch culture, or be advocating for it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Private profit will destroy everything, forever, even if we survive a million years into the future, private profit will have to be constantly fought against, as a concept. Even if we colonise the entire galaxy, everything we build will be threatened by the externalisation of costs and the internalisation of benefits. It is a psychic disease of the mind and soul.

Only way to escape is to find the right crypto and hodl until you're on top

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, that's the funniest/ saddest thing about it all: she's one of the few people in the world who has the opportunity to live her life in literally any way she likes, and she chooses to spend it in sour-faced Twitter posting and hating on trans people. Like, she's curled up in a massive sofa in a massive sitting room in some big loving mansion, obsessively searching her own name on Twitter, as a butler brings her tea and the daily newspaper on a silver platter (I assume that all rich people have butlers, like Lara Croft).

she's aiming at replacing churchill as the Greatest Englishman

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Well the question of whether a politician is able to effectively advocate for policy that's entirely contradictory to their personal faith comes down to how much faith you have in that individual politician. Thus, since both are questions of faith, neither of them can affect policy, rendering the objection moot. Moot I say

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1628024875766931458?s=20

Ah I see. So really Corbyn should have said "I hate the Jews, personally, but I promise to do nothing about it as its not a popular view" and Sunny would have been fine with it.

Incredible posting.

That's one sizzling steamer of a take right there jesus

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Reveilled posted:

I did RE as a Higher (well, technically, Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies) and that along with Higher Classics are honestly probably the two parts of my entire education I ended up enjoying the most. The main thing I credit it with is introducing me to existentialism, the primary usage of which is telling people on the internet who think they've come up with a cool new spin on Nihilism "you're just badly describing Existentialism" or "that's Absurdism, it already exists"

What're the Lower Classics

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How's the turnips

Are turnips even people food

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Guess we've figured out the £.03/day food budget lifehack

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, I'm waiting for 30p Lee's cookbook based on turnips.

Dice raw turnip roughly, fill a trough and dig in, just like thêresë coffey (b. 1971) did during ww2 rationing. Anything more is basically avocado-and-latte entitled wokerati food cancelling

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
As a Swede, I had to Google to find out what's my eponymous root vegetable. Turns out it's the one which is great in stews

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The Devil's root veg imo is Cicuta virosa, the cowbane or northern water hemlock

Buttered mash of that tuber's gonna drop you stone cold dead

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 25, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Angepain posted:

do the Swedes have a specific vegetable they hate that they call the Brit? its what we deserve

You're more of a general kitchen punchline, not a specific one

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If I wanted to insult-by-root-vegetable a nationality though, my choice would be horseradish. That thing's just never a good idea

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Miftan posted:

I like a good kohlrabi which I've been informed is a kind of turnip.

Nah kohlrabi is a cultivar of the same species as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and collard greens. I never will get over that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol why do we still have this silly nonsense in 2023?

This implies the amount of silly nonsense were constant or declining, which isn't supported by evidence

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'm the gammon rage about the head of the EU popping in to see the UK chief-of-state

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nilbop posted:

So, the "Stormont Brake:"

This seems to imitate the old Petition of Concern (which was itself notoriously abused by the DUP) in every manner that matters. Setting the number of MLAs being required to sign a petition as low as 30 seems just as open to abuse as the PoC itself was. 30 member signatures can be gained from a single party, never mind a single community (as, in fact, was the case in the past with the PoC). There's a lot of good-faith language in there ("The Brake will not be available for trivial reasons," "there must be something significant" etc etc) which seems to be drafted completely in ignorance of the DUP's history abusing exactly this sort of mechanism.

This doesn’t seem about ensuring cross-community consensus so much as it seems about placating Unionists and getting them back to the table with the carrot that if they do better in the next election they can go right back to abusing their position as they have done in the past, rather than having to put up with a filthy taig First Minister.

Modeled on Petition of Concern is what it says--though with the new rules, not the old ones:

quote:

Petition of concern including:
 The mechanism, which was designed to ensure that all sections of the community are
protected and can participate and work together, will return to its intended purpose
 Parties to publicly commit to using it in most exceptional circumstances and as a last resort
 Petition can still be triggered by the support of 30 MLAs, but it needs members from two or
more parties (this can include independent MLAs)
 A valid Petition shall trigger a 14-day period of consideration. After this, if 30 MLAs confirm
support, the Assembly will determine the matter in accordance with the cross-community
consent procedure.

...and, presumably, after that it goes to the UK gov, and if they're convinced, talks with the EU. It's pretty much a basic good faith check before it can be done, also I'd imagine you can't do it if you're not in Stormont, working. Would this be enough of a turd-to-throw-at-fans to make the DUP happy?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I just found out what Boris calls his dingle dangle

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I know what does wonders for my mental health is going to a meeting with a bunch of judgy fuckers and telling them how much of a big fat pig I was this week.

Like even if you're looking for weight loss, slimming world seems like an absolutely dire way to do it.

The only diet I don't immediately reject (other than maybe the DNP slim-and/or-die scheme) is the potato diet. Sounds p good actually