Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isn't another big part of all this was that William wasn't cheating just the once.
That with at least one affair he caught feelings, which was a big no-no.
So now he is just doing some emotionless pegging to fill out his days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That reminds me, a few years ago two Ulster Rugby players (and two of their friends) were on trial for Rape and other sexual offences. Some of the most damning evidence was taken from a group WhatsApp conversation they were all a part of. (Even though they were acquitted, the stuff in the WhatsApp group was used to kick them out of the International Rugby team for "bringing the game into disrepute. ")

In the court case there was an extended legal argument about whether the jury could be told the name of the WhatsApp group (did the Probative Value of knowing the name of the group outweigh the prejudicial effect it would have on the jury.) In the end it was kept from the jury and just given a dry name like "the WhatsApp group."

But the groups actual name was To Rape and Pillage.

You couldn't make it up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The cat tail thing becomes very obvious if you have ever seen two cats together, even friendly ones.
They twitch their tails like a novelty clock, and soon you are about to witness some hilarious cat agro.

Anyway pictured bellow is Lara T. Catt, in one of the rare times when she is not wailing about being hungry/wanting to go outside/complaining that the dog or baby are looking at her funny.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Looks like the Bonsai Cats are making a comeback.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In fairness, if anything of Boris Johnson was doing work worth £1.3 million it was his trousers.
Between staying on, staying clean, going up, going down, hanging on etc...those trousers did Trojan work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I hope she did it by dropping from the ceiling dressed as a kuroko before pipetting one drop of a rare poison into her ear and backflipping out through a window.

Guavanaut. I want you to look deep into your heart of hearts. Do you think Liz Truss is capable of doing anything complicated as required in that scenerio?

I mean, I could see her managing to fall out a window on her own.

Unless you think Jo Swinson found Ricardo Montalbán's sonic device for turning people into assassins and used it on Truss.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I almost got a headache from reading this tweet and trying to figure out what it was saying since it uses so much double speak.

Basically, it is saying that more students from disadvantaged backgrounds were accepted to University programmes (such as law ) due to Scottish Government initiative.

The newspaper is framing this as bad as it means students from well-off backgrounds are missing out on these places.
But it's using such contradictory language you could easily mistake it into saying the opposite of what it means.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Well yesterday wasn’t great for the Met. I’m sure today will be better…

Police officer from the Met: No I didn't think Richard "when I die, burn all my laptops" Watkins was up to anything suspicious.
As for that nickname, it was obviously just a joke, innit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

These people are lunatics similar to the flat-earthers. Have they given any thought to the logistics of how this would work? "Thrown from the wreckage" means you're exiting your vehicle though the windscreen at a relative speed of 100mph, probably leaving the lower half of your body behind, and coming to a stop 15 yards away having used your face as a brake. (I just made these numbers up to get the point across, in a similar way to these fantasists.)

Wear your seatbelts you silly bastards.

They are often the same people who think that more people having guns would stop mass shooter instances.

Instead of it becoming a chaotic mess, each person with a gun is treated as having a Robocop style targeting system which allows them to only shot bad guys...in the balls.

It's the same with seat belts. They just imagine being ejected from the car, brushing off some small shards of glass and saying "that was a close one."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

I had never watched blade runner in its entirety in a sober enough state to remember any of it

Fixed that recently and.... Its okay? The effects and general feel were good but it felt like not much really happened and I don't get the hype that surrounds it for some- and it was probably underwhelming in part because of that

Its pretty good and influenced a bunch of other things and is worth a watch imo

The last paragraph which was about the Godfather can just as easily be applied to Blade Runner.
It's hugely influenced Sci-fi since it came out.
It has a incredible engaging world and it's visually stunning and it's practical effects largely hold up. Meanwhile the basic plot is well done, and it's got some great dialogue.

Also there is the whole interest about the Directors intention of the story versus the lead actors intentions.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm sure she is a wonderful person and it's great to hear she isn't a Tory.

But I can't see her name without thinking of the Viz article "Carol Vorderman's Bukkake Sudoku."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Think Jackson Pollock Painting.

Honestly there probably isn't really a way to combine these two different art forms. (Unless the gentlemen are all assigned a number from 1 to 9)
Mostly I think the guys in Viz just thought it sounded funny and just ran with it.

That or it was a bit of "these are both Japanese words. Let's combine them." Slight racism for humours sake going on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

(Warning: Serious nerd chat incoming. I cannot overstate, however nerdy you think you can handle, the following post may still just overwhelm you.)

Reading this topic about JK and foriegn names, I'm reminded of an issue of Black Panther from the mid 2000's

Basically it was the culmation of a year long story arc where Black Panther (superhero and king of fictional super African nation) gets engaged to Storm. (Popular mutant and sometimes leader of the X-Men.)

This particular issue of Black Panther (issue 18) was written by Regianld Hudlin and drawn by Scot Eaton.
In one big scene, Storm flies to the ceremony in her wedding dress and all her X-Men teamates are in awe.
For this scene Eaton consulted with real world costume designer Shawn Dudley about wedding dresses. Shawn goes and does meticulous research and combines real world wedding dresses with various African Royalty clothing and creates. The end result was this beautiful non superhero costume which would feature in less than half an issue tooks weeks of work. But it looks amazing.

The writer (Hudlin) was an American Producer and writer mostly known for making shows on BET (Black Entertainment Television) that you most certainly haven't heard of. He was already controversial among comic fans for ignoring established comic history in writing some....controversial stories.
In the scene, he has Nightcrawler say something in German and has Wolverine go "you said it buddy."
The intention is obviously supposed to be that Storm on her wedding day looks so beautiful that no one knows what to say.
The only thing is, the word that Nightcawler says is complete gibberish. It's not German, it's nothing. The closest comparison if it was said outloud in German is a slang word that basically meant "I want to take it for a test drive" but even then it's not spelled like that and it's a very limited type of slang.

In short, the artist of this comic spent weeks drawing a dress and the writer couldn't take two minutes to Google a real German word.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nilbop posted:

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1619095074331041792?s=20&t=DBO3mDEzgb0eQ-kUwC5MEg

I am struggling really hard not to say something inflammatory here, so instead I’ll just say this is a catastrophic failure of Unionist leadership.

"Do you want a pointless conflict to continue that could result in you dying? Y/N?"

Unionist: Well, I'm sure it won't be me dying. Probably some young thug. I'm voting No.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah, I actually think TM bears most of the blame for the situation we are actually in. A 52/48 referendum result, especially one where even the Leave side was talking about Norway models and 'no one is suggesting leaving the Common Market' would surely lead to a 'soft Brexit' which fulfilled the mandate of the referendum while acknowledging the slim majority. But (perhaps because she campaigned for remain and so felt especially under pressure?) she not only drew up those red lines but pushed the button on A50.

I was remarkable blasé about the EU referendum - I was disappointed but not entirely surprised that Leave won, but I genuinely thought it would be the work of at least a decade before we were actually out, because (surely...) it would be national suicide to leave before we had regenerated our own abilities in so many areas, invested in potential growth sectors so they were ready to go, started reforming new international relationships, formulated what our post-EU policies on stuff like immigration were etc. It would be extraordinarily dumb to even start negotiating before any of that work had even begun, wouldn't it?

I was genuinely amazed that a government could be so incompetent and destructive, and for no apparent reason.

When the results were announced that Leave Won, most of the people in Ireland knew that the end results were going to be the hardest possible to no deal Brexit. It was the most logical (if irrational) endpoint.

Brexit as it was presented and campaigned on was ultimately a bunch of nonsense. There was nothing in writing as to what a Leave Vote would entail .(the disadvantage to holding a referendum when you don't have a written constitution to tie it to.)
So it immediately became this blank vote that anyone could write what it meant onto it. It would be like if Americans voted in an election "to Make America Great Again" with no explanation of what you were voting for.

As such, every potential outcome ran into a simple problem. You try a negotiate a soft Brexit? What is the point, any deal you get would be manifestly worse than the status quo.
As such the soft Brexiters just limply try and argue for what is a bad deal, while the ultra hardliners want to demand a harder and harder Brexit. Sure it's going to be the worse result, but the people who were hardline Brexiters are committed to the idea of Brexit and aren't going to let economic realities get in the way of it.

Basically it could only end with the worst (or nearly the worst) possible result, because the nutters will demand the worst possible result.

In Brexit related news a friend of mine went to Portugal for holiday around Christmas. The hotel was full of British OAP's who were giving out that Brexit meant they could only stay in the hotel for 3 months at a time (the maximum stay a non-EU citizen could stay.) We both noted that those people almost certainly also voted for Brexit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

In this case it seems like a department plagued by wanky management speak asked some people for suggestions to replace some of it with less problematic wanky management speak, some of them went a bit excessive, then the tabloids did their usual trick of pretending that the woke language gods hath decreed that everyone has to talk like this now.

Normal people weren't going around talking like "we need to grandfather in the whitespace, I'll get some braves on it" anyway, so it's not like anything of value has been lost.

I'm resurrecting this post because mot only is it 100% accurate * it's also timely as a post is going around Twitter about removing violent language which means it's another attempt to galvanise people against general improvements to language.

* = And 87% hilarious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rarity posted:

I'm just imagining the complete inability to self-reflect it takes to make memes where you cast your side as the murderous vanguard of a fascist authoritarian regime

It's the same with the American Right. Like the MAGA guys were making memes about Trump having the Infinity Gauntlet to make all his "enemies" vanish...and they use the scene from Avengers Endgame where it all goes Pete Tong for the Mad Titan.
Like the couldn't even bother watching to the end of the clip they are sampling to make sure their guy won.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, it's this. Western countries are officially steadfastly insisting that Russia must be completely defeated in Ukraine but they don't actually mean it. If they genuinely saw this as a ww2 existential crisis against an implacable enemy, places like the UK would be introducing conscription, nationalising key industries and turning them over to military production, borrowing hugely to rapidly build up the armed forces, interning Russia citizens and sympathisers in prison camps etc etc. They're doing none of that and don't have the faintest intention of starting.

What's happening instead is that enough money and equipment is being fed into Ukraine to keep the conflict simmering along but sufficient support to actually end it is firmly off the table. I've got very little doubt that the USA and Russia are already quietly discussing what requirements have to be met to bring the conflict to an end and meanwhile the killing continues. That's how I see the situation and why I think we should have immediate peace talks now rather than in a year's time, when nothing much has changed and a whole bunch more people are dead.

The support that Ukraine has received from it's Allies has allowed it to inflict massive casualties on the Russian army, retake huge amounts of territory that Russia seized in early 2022 and prevent them from pushing Westwards after their initial botched attempts at going for places like Kyiev.

Western nations have been very disjointed at times in their supply of equipment (see all the problems with artilary or tanks). but without it, Ukraine likely would have fallen by now.

Ukraine's allies could be doing more, but there is also the notion that too much intervention too fast would allow Russia to try and escalate the war to essentially World War 3. It's highly unlikely, but at the end of the day Russia still has nukes. You can't poke it with sticks, you've got to go with the "frog in boiling water" approach.
After all the Allies to Ukraine have been able to supply it with equipment now that if it had happened in early 2022 would have almost certainly been used as a red line issue by Russia.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This has always been what the hardliners Brexiters wanted.

It's also step 1 on a move towards reintroducing the Death Penalty. So that's fun.

In lighter news, I saw Carol Voderman was trending on Twitter. Seems like she's doing good work. So much so I almost regret bringing in Sudoko chat the last time the thread came across her.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The only YouTube shorts I will click on are Rollercoaster POVs and Eddie Hall making faces at people doing weird strength challenges.

TikTok looks awful, I will never

The only YouTube shorts I watch are short videos of people explaining different parts of Warhammer 40K lore.
("Here is a 30 second video about an Ork Warboss who soloed an Imperetor Titan.") Or any of Justin Whang's shorts.

Speaking of biscuits, Tesco has finally restocked their Plain Chocolate Digestives after being gone for about three months. Another reason why Brexit has been terrible.

For a really cheap, normal biscuits, they really hit the spot when paired with an orange drink.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Broke: Jonsing for Bussy.

Woke: Jonsing for Clussy.

Bespoke: Jonsing for Trussy.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 6, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Okay I was curious and clicked through - it's a fisking (nerd TL: named after Robert Fisk, fisking is the act of reproducing a body of text broken up by your comments and critiques, rather than only replying at the bottom) of Liz Truss's bullshit article in the Torygraph, which it calls the Truss essay, and then shortens it to Trussay. It actually is a pretty good pisstake and tear-down of her.

I'm willing to bet a substantial amount of money the author sold it to their editor as "oh yes, this is what it means. Absolutely no innuendo here, no sir!" All while chuckling to themselves.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Given how every year British media (and inevitably the BBC) will label Irish actors/sports stars/musicians as "British", I wouldn't give the BBC the benefit of any doubt.

It all comes from the same level of ignorance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Apologies for posting Dunt but he is in fact correct here lol

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1623584240603471874?s=46&t=nTtAKFBaAjNKTNdc5NULqw

Edit: for non 2000AD nerds

Lee Anderson was also the MP who posted a video clip/tweet about a woman who worked for him that was basically "look at her. She earns minimum wage and can still afford to live somewhere. Also, she is quite submissive and breedable!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The least successful of the Dudley Boyz.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Objecting to the 15 minute city thing is so bizarre because why would anyone living in a city not want local services within 15 minutes of them?

Oh wait, it's because they don't want The Poors at their nice local well-funded services, and prefer them corralled in areas with lovely or no amenities elsewhere.

I mean it's easy to see how it can be weaponized. All you have to do is change it from
"Imagine living in a city where everything you need is 15 minutes away."
To " Imagine living in a city where everything you need is 15 minutes away."

All the disingenuous have to do is frame it in such a way that it makes it sound like the Government wants to build a bunch of these cities. Which becomes "The Government want you all to live in cities."

And that's effective, even if it's bullshit.
Like I absolutely would not want to live in a city, even if everything I want is supposedly 15 minutes from me.

And that's all they need to tap into.

Now I don't support this guy since
1) He's a twat.
2) He is supremely disingenuous. You can tell by the obvious lie of "low emission zones kill the economy and don't help the environment."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Nigel wanking himself into a frenzy

It's probably the point but he's not saying that it's the violence or a crowd of people trying to burn down hotels on foot of misinformation that's the bad part. Just implying that it's that, but also leaving it blank enough that racists can imply he's talking about the migrants coming over is the problem.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/joinaunionpls/status/1624373863688568833?s=46&t=RmodAtMz20WYBXiiUE_evg

Just an ordinary working-class guy who'd had enough of all this political correctness.[/columnist]

Mark Collett: This Monkey Paw is great!
I've used it to make myself Important and Politically connected!
Now for my third wish!
I wish for the perfect girlfriend, a real-life version of the Nazi woman that Frank Millar put in most of his Batman stories!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

just going through the tattoo artist portfolio and you come across the swastika titty

Mark Collett isn't doing that anymore.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The last two pages have been the text equivalent of a DND alignment chart, but for lemonade.

(Also drink Club Orange/Lemon/Rock Shandy if you ever go to Ireland. )

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Haggis is absolutely elite tier (once you get over the ingredients) what are you all on about. I could sit with a bowl of that stuff and eat it with a spoon, and I have done exactly that on several occasions.

It suffers from the problem that sheep's meat is greasy.
Now if you made it from Pork then you get an elite tier food. (Namely Black or White Pudding.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I know there are regional variants but I've never seen a white pudding where the primary ingredients weren't pork, pork fat and oats in that order.

Having looked through the recipes for a bunch of White Puddings, I can conclude every one I saw on Tesco.ie's website was made from Pork.
(You can get ones made from Turkey meat, which my wife gets and quite likes. There are also plant based ones for Vegans.)
But I have never heard of beef based ones.

Also a unit of Black or White Pudding is called a Chub, which is frankly hilarious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

"Okay, you took the Hippocratic oath to do no harm. But, can you make people go back to work, for the economy?
What do you mean that will hurt their long term health? That's not relevant.
Also can you advise your patients to only be sick on weekends and holidays? Thank you."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

Yeah, it says it's regional - which is what I originally wondered. Ireland, Scotland and Northumbria use beef suet and less meat, NI and southern England use pork and it's more of a meat pudding.

In all my times eating Chubs (of White Pudding. And sometimes Black) in the Republic, it has always been Pork and not Beef.
Maybe some places in Northern Ireland do them, but I haven't come across it on any of my visits.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

It was a fine game but the story was utter crap. "Apartheid is bad but also slave revolts are violent so they're just as bad as each other, also you are alternate time line Jefferson Davis."

Libs can't write politics.

My feelings on the story were, Bioshock had a really interesting setting being "a revolution happened in this place. It's over now, do what you are seeing is the aftermath." Where as Bioshock: Infinite went we "this place is primed for a Revolution. And you are about to see it happen."

Like I get why people didn't like the story. But from my memory of playing the game when it came out, the City of Colmbia are the badguys in it. It's just that the Revolutionaries are bringing out the guillotines, so you are probably going to be killed along with everyone else. I can see why having to kill Revolutionaries and racist bigots at the same time is really bad, but I felt it made sense from the story point of view.

Like the violence in the game was really uncomfortable to play through, but you have a circular saw mounted to your wrist. When you start using that on humans, it should make you feel uncomfortable in a way that doing it to demons in Doom doesn't.
It's a game with a specific message about there being no glorious Revolution, along with lots of stuff about alternate dimensions.

Edit: Three pets who are waiting for the Revolution against their human overlords.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 15, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Her Dryer posted:

I did actually quite enjoy the game right up until you go through the first dimensional portal thing, at which point the game entirely fell apart both narratively and gameplay wise - the classic Bioshock problem of enemies becoming unfun bullet sponges, useless plasmids, introducing new guns after spending hundreds of dollars upgrading my old ones, the one boss I shouldn't need to name because everyone knows what I mean when I talk about the one very bad boss near the end of the game.

Do you mean the Ghost boss fight? Since I remember that being a whole ball of frustration dressed as a boss fight.

And I do agree that they had lots of story ideas. Some worked and some needed more time in the oven.
It also really should have had the planned bit where you end up on the Citadel Space Station near the end.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

exactly, it's lib poo poo

I think there are no glorious revolutions. The aftermath might (MIGHT) produce good results, but the reality of a revolution is at the time, a lot of people are getting shot in the face.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

2 had no pacing and the levels were repetitive. At least in 1 you had some variety and environmental storytelling, but 2 was clearing the same tilesets over and over until a room defence setpiece you could easily cheese once you had the right plasmids.

I don't think I finished it because I really didn't know or care about what was going on with the story, it really gave off very strong "play more bioshock you hogs since you gave us so much money for the 1st one" vibes.

It's very much the problem of second albums. You had all your life to come up with that killer first album/script. You have 6- 18 months to do the second one.

Bideo James are littered with sequels that are just data disc like redoes of the first game. (Who can forget "UFO: Enemy Unknown" to "X-Com: Terror From the Deep.") Like it's not as bad as Hollywood is with cheap sequels, but it's still a thing that comes up.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 15, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Don't besmirch my continued enjoyment of the first two original X-Com games. :xcom: :colbert:

Don't get me wrong. The first game is a masterpiece, so much so that periodically some games company will just make a new version of it, and it will be excellent. (See Xenonauts.)

But the second game is just the first game reskinned. The only difference is the ultimate bullshit "gotcha" moment from the end of the first game (a double level map that screws you if you didn't bring tons of extra ammo.) is replicated for this entire game.
And with a whole new "gotcha" mechanic. (Some weapons only work underwater. Some work above and below water. No, you can't use your old XCOM weapons when above water. gently caress you, that's why.)

All with the added bonus that "players complained about the first game not being hard enough*? Well see how they like this one!"

Then for the picture of "big ideas that couldn't make it" you have XCOM Apocalypse. A friend if mine did a Twitch Stream play through of it, that took him six months to complete. That game is janky.

* = And players were right. Due to a bug in the original game, the game was permanently stuck on the easiest difficulty level. So the studio really ramped up the difficulty for TFTD.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Also I think its absolutely reprehensible that the police have had to announce to the press the reason they think Nicola Bulley went into the water was her issues with alcohol to try and stop the level of absolute insanity going on right now.

I saw they were saying that "social media speculation wasn't helping."
What is happening with the story? Are people investing in some QAnon style conspiracy theory, and the police are trying to stamp down on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

Well, congratulations to Ms Caroline Symonds on her new house, I guess.

It's not her house.
At least it's not her house until the divorce. Which all she has to do for that is invite a friend over, leave the room, and by the time she has come back with Bourbon Creames, she will find her friend and her husband in flagrante delicto.