Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yes, it's a statue that belonged to my grandfather and my wife hates it. We call it the scary goat man.

Someday that statue is going to topple over and break, releasing your grandfather's soul which will possess a family member who tries to bring about his resurrection, probably involving a blood orgy ritual sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Irish. That’s the Child of Prague. A must have for my Irish Catholic tradition loving wife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_Jesus_of_Prague

Wasn't there a Father Ted episode about one of these where the head fell off?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Lilt Man forced to abandon his daily route and learn to code instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oU1R-9G4NU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Fantatic Caribbean subtext of slavery in that. A classic

The Lilt Man was a precursor of zero-hour delivery contract work and a shining example of the work-on-demand benefits of modern capitalism.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jedit posted:

White pudding is made with beef suet, not pork (although pork is sometimes added). Also it's loving vile.

I know there are regional variants but I've never seen a white pudding where the primary ingredients weren't pork, pork fat and oats in that order.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Galatians 3:28 posted:

There is no longer Jew or Greek; there is no longer slave or free; there is no longer male and female, for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

Having looked through the recipes for a bunch of White Puddings, I can conclude every one I saw on Tesco.ie's website was made from Pork.
(You can get ones made from Turkey meat, which my wife gets and quite likes. There are also plant based ones for Vegans.)
But I have never heard of beef based ones.

Also a unit of Black or White Pudding is called a Chub, which is frankly hilarious.

Yep, the first white pudding on Tesco was this

It seems like a fairly bland makeup; the stuff from our local butcher has a lot more flavour in terms of added spices.

The goon who suggested it's a turgid mix of unflavoured beef suet is clearly wrong.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Freshly squeezed turnip juice for breakfast
Turnip stew for lunch
Turnip fries and grilled roadkill hedgehog for supper

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

justcola posted:

Thank you everybody for the advice! This is the one but I was thinking of other stuff too, I'll shoot him some stuff over, cheers.

I feel more on it recently as my dad (in his 60s) asked me recently if I had heard of Jordan Peterson and had started listening to some of his youtube videos. I saw him a few weeks later and he's switched to a carb-free diet and has been watching Ben Shapiro and other daft poo poo, which took me by surprise a bit. So I'm grateful for the chance to send them some more stuff over and try and influence my family not getting red pilled by youtube shorts.

The Watchdog by Lowkey - young British/Iraqi hip-hop artist for all the :corsair: ITT - is one I've been listening to for a bit recently.

The production values are a bit all over the place at times and it doesn't have a regular release schedule, but they're shorter than your average podcast and cover a lot of subjects about the British establishment's connections with general far-right international movements.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

We can terf if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends are trans
And if they are trans
Well they're no friends of mine

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TACD posted:

This is good though, isn't it? Like how everybody understands it's impolite to say _the_ Ukraine now, I thought we were all trying to move towards pronouncing foreign countries / regions according to the preferences of people that live there?

E: I'm not sure how Türkiye is pronounced now, is it like Turkey-ey? (thanks to my laptop for autocorrecting the spelling for me :c00l: )

The Ukraine came about because Ukraïna translated as "borderland" so the definite article was applied similar to Nederlanden translating as "lowlands" so in English it's the Netherlands. But yeah, preferences of the people who live there should be respected.

On that note and closer to home, can the British media stop using "the Republic", "the Republic of Ireland" or "the ROI" when referring to their closest neighbour? The country is called Ireland. That's its name. You'll never see it referred to as anything else on any official Irish documentation (except Éire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The American company I work for did a charity drive where they ordered a bunch of similar boxes and shipped one out to everyone who volunteered.

They paid about $40 per box for what was a pack of crayons, a little notebook and some other tat that would barely have come to $5. This was during lockdown so they had to ship them out to people's home addresses from California to Ireland, so that people could write a "life ain't so bad" nothing to some anonymous American kids with mental health issues, and then ship them all back to California.