Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think we should have a twisto memorial plaque in the op, to commemorate our greatest ever poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

What's funny?

Think just some tepid irony that you said that 'in your experience' people base their beliefs and opinions 'on their experience'.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Just found out the local council in my home town in NI won't put on any christmas lights, tree or have a Santa appear in the town.
Which is a first for decades, they have done it since the 60s. Instead the local businesses are grouping together to do a mini version
Turns out there is no money for them, anyone elses local town having the same?

Ours are reduced from previous years, and all the gammons are moaning about it on the local FB group. I am performing my normal community service of gently reminding them that years of Conservative cuts to local funding mean that councils can barely afford to keep the actual lights on, let alone Christmas ones.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

What an incredibly stupid move.

Eh. They say they still expect terrestrial TV to continue 'into the 2030s'. So realistically, there'll be an entirely new board, government and entire bloody social situation by then. This is basically meaningless other than a signifier of the overall direction of travel for broadcast media.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Honestly, your cat won't give a poo poo. She'll be pleased when you're home, but honestly they're not that smart even if you think they are. As long as they're warm and fed and have somewhere appropriate to take a poo poo, their needs are met.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Oh we posting our cats now?

This is Lizzie. We got her when she was 1 years old, by which point she'd already had a litter of kittens and become homeless on the streets of East Grinstead, and been taken in by the rescue centre.

She chose to take early retirement, and since we adopted her 7 years ago spends moreorless 100% of her time either sleeping, or cuddling.

She has a cat flap and the entire world available to her outside, but she chooses to venture out only to do her business, or sit under a bush if it's hot.

She is the most affectionate and chilled creature ever, and we couldn't live without her.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Lol, the old, 'look at his salary!' trick. As if campaigning for better conditions and pay for workers despite being well paid yourself is somehow a moral failing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Every big brained tory ever : 'oh, that massively complex problem being agonised over by thousands of highly qualified professionals? They should consider my stupid, ill informed, pig ignorant, non starter of a solution :smuggo:'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Man... A massive portion of West Kent and East Sussex has been without running water for like three days now, and it's going to be at least Wednesday before its back.

There are no mitigation plans for this beyond someone in a lorry handing out bottles of water at Tesco.

There are people on the local FB group who have newborn babies etc who are absolutely freaking out and don't know what to do.

This is the third time this has happened in the last couple of months. Southeast Water, meekly backed up by our local Tory MP, Greg Clark, are blaming this all on the fact that it snowed.

I'm sure it can't be decades of under investment and every last penny being diverted towards shareholder dividends, certainly not.

It's a really poo poo situation, and the only upside is that it is one more thing which will make people question just what the gently caress privatisation has done for any of us, and maybe, just maybe, feel a little less inclined to support the Tories or Keith in the future.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh hey, so back at 2am the DWP decided to put the money in my account I should have been getting over the last year. It's a LOT more than I was expecting, so I've spent the last almost 3 hours outside of banking hours trying to put it into another account so that it doesn't gently caress me for tax purposes (I'm self employed).

Merry Xmas! It's staying in savings until I can be sure they're not going to double gently caress me by asking for it back or saying they made a mistake or something.

That's fantastic news, congratulations! Make sure to get you and yours something nice - you deserve it after all the poo poo you've been through.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

I'd be careful if there's a chance you'll urgently need to access that money soon. My medium risk vanguard fund (60/40 equity/bond index linked) has been hovering at around at around a -10 to - 5% loss since I invested around 9 months ago. I am trying to comfort myself by believing that the success of these investments are measured in years and decades.

There are instant access isas which pay out 2.5%. It's not gonna set your world on fire, but it's a small return, and it's safe.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tbf I'm not sure how it's measured. Your wife's might be at 18% for the whole time she's had the money invested, in which case it would make sense, as before the invasion of Ukraine most funds were doing really well. I invested literally a day or two before the invasion, lol :cry:

The fund I picked had delivered something mad like a 40% return the previous year

Edit: an 11.17% return actually, a wildly different figure. I too have no idea about investing.

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 20, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Above post could basically apply to JKR as well. Infinite money and sycophancy breaks people's brains and spirits.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm prepared to accept the broken brain and spirit.

Then my friend you are already rich.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Angepain posted:

gender recognition reform bill now passed in Scotland 86 to 39, despite the efforts of serious citizens with serious concerns

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1605939494582198279

Amazing news. And just before Christmas as well! Congrats, Scots :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Fake a positive lateral flow.

Seconded. This is why God gave us Covid!

Although now I feel suspicious about my dad's girlfriend who just ALLEGEDLY tested positive...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Whenever someone complains about 'politics' being brought into any topic, is because they are uncomfortable with the status quo being questioned due to their (usually unconscious) total support of it.

Nowhere is this more evident than in our local Facebook page, which is full of people loudly wondering why literally everything in the UK is getting worse, but then crossly shutting down the conversation when you point out who's been in charge for the last twelve years.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Condolences, Clarence. Bereavement is obviously never easy, but it is particularly lovely at Christmas time.

And as a part time poster, all I can say is :justpost: Especially in dark times.

The worst that can happen is that your posts get ignored, like mine.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Has any woman actually ever been impressed by a man’s car? Like growing up there always seemed to be this thing that having a powerful manly car would be a definite bonus with the ladies, but I’ve never met a woman who gives a poo poo - even the ones who are themselves are enthusiasts.

Status symbols attract people who care about status, and make everyone else think you're pathetic. I guess there will be some people who are more likely to touch your peen because of it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Payndz posted:

All this game talk made me realise that the last new game I bought was Far Cry 6 - which came out over a year ago, even though I thought "Must have been this April or May, surely?" And there's nothing I've seen upcoming that I'm interested in playing. Guess my interests have changed as I've got older, except they don't seem to have been replaced by anything new. :smith: (Can't work up any enthusiasm for new movies or TV shows either.)

play elden ring imo

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
When I said 'end outsourcing in the NHS' I didn't mean end ALL outsourcing on the NHS!!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Argh help me! I have got a new phone, and the forums are now in tiny text. I managed to change it to a larger size on my old phone, but when I review the options on the awful app I can't see it anywhere. Under 'font' I can change the...font... but not the size.

Please can someone tell me how to change it? I glazed over at the accessibility derail last week but now I'm very sorry!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Chubby Henparty posted:

I didn't see that part on account of his text being too tiny :(

On the Android Awful app, under Settings/Posts is default post font size. Hope that works?

This did the trick, thank you!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I saw a Tesla on the m25 today which had 'ORG4SM' as its numberplate and I've been thinking all day about the chain of events and thought process which would lead a person to have that numberplate.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I mean tbf that video is clearly heavily edited. I don't have the faintest iota of a doubt that Braverman still comes across appallingly in the full one, but as long as it's an edit then it's easy to dispute that it is a fair reflection of what happened.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, looks like the beast is now sufficiently starved that we just have no choice but to put it out of its misery.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Oh man if that happened to me I'd be stewing.

:lol:

I love inventiveness in anti social behaviour.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

No doubt this just one bad apple. Lessons will be learnt, now let's all move on.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tbh all the coppers or copper equivalents I've ever known personally have always been 'decent' while clearly also enjoyed asserting themselves and have had very firm views on right and wrong (they're right) and who's good and who's bad (they're good), with very little thoughtfulness or self reflection.

I don't think those ones are domestic abusers necessarily, but it's no surprise at all that domestic abusers are attracted to the profession.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RoyalMail/status/1615754713487626241

There are whispers that everything might not be back up and running until the end of February.... :toot:

I basically have no idea what this means or what the implications are.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I've worked in software development or adjacent industries for the last ten years, and I've learnt that actually half arsing it and procrastinating til the very last minute is the most sensible approach, because 75% of the time management will decide to delay your project anyway and redeploy you to fight another fire somewhere else.

I have colleagues who are devastated when this happens because they've spent weeks and months working their arses off, for nothing. Not me, though :c00lbutt:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
If I didn't have to work for a living I would try to get a voluntary role with a conservation charity and do productive and / or menial and disgusting things on a nature reserve.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tories lack empathy, news at 11!!

My favourite one is still the MP who repeatedly and enthusiastically voted for cuts to legal aid, and then ended up being taken through court and amassing massive legal bills, and then becoming a passionate campaigner for... increasing legal aid funding.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
When I'm writing an email to important people at work, I write out what I need to say, then spend another half hour ruthlessly culling it so it's about one third of its original length, making it as concise as I possibly can.

EmptyVessel, your job is at the posting factory. Your fellow posters are your execs. Don't waste our goddamn time, do you know how many posts we have to get through every day, just to stay afloat?! Up your game, ASAP.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I love the fact that you can get an entire loving defensible barracks for half a mil. There are three bed semis round here which cost more than that. God, I want it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The absolute worst are people whose dogs think it's ok to jump up at you when you're out on a walk. Ruined a brand new coat once cos someone's dog just playfully jumped up and covered me in muddy paw prints. Never before have I been so close to breaking my British decorum and telling their meekly apologising owner that yes they should be loving sorry, and they can pay for my dry cleaning as well.

Of course, actually I just smiled awkwardly and said it was fine, then spent the rest of my walk fuming.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

The screeching about this from the hacks and pundits is extremely revealing

Can someone share some top quality screeching please? I can't see any after scrolling through the replies.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Rarity posted:

My work's brought in a Competency Development Framework for our annual performance reviews and it is the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen. Instead of just looking at whether I'm good in my role and picking out some development ideas I instead have to grade myself against 7 separate attitudes like 'working collaboratively' or 'delivering capability' on a scale of 1-3 in a structure where the desired traits are often exactly the same across different grades then justify exactly why I picked those grades. It's such a load of horseshit, gently caress HR departments into the ground. Just inventing insane levels of bureaucracy because they need to feel like they're doing something

Every single medium to large employer has poo poo like this, and it drives me insane. If you're lucky, your manager views it as the pointless box ticking exercise that it is, and you can get it over and done with in a half hour meeting.

If your boss is an idiot, however...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Uruguay is a sufficiently obscure place to be that I bet if someone did some digging there'd be a very interesting story about why he's there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

My dad's been absolutely furiously imbibing from this fire hose for the last year or so

It's been going great lol

I am so, so thankful that my dad is the biggest luddite on the planet and barely knows how to check his emails, else I think he'd definitely be susceptible to this poo poo.