Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Time to kill the annoying poll.

This one??

https://twitter.com/kamil_grabara1/status/1599138058653212675

Hard to disagree tbh, extremely disrespectful to Mat Ryan from a guy who couldn’t get off the bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tomberforce posted:

Am just a bit bemused by all the handwringing that they weren't on some sort of watch list in an environment where you just have to look at the comments on basically any Sky News article to see a hundred other wingnuts spouting identical insane poo poo. It is absolutely everywhere and has been for a number of years. The sheer proliferation must make it nigh on impossible to tell apart the keyboard warriors from the ones hoarding firearms to ambush cops.

I agree, we should be imprisoning anyone who comments on sky news

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don Dongington posted:

While the dismissal was covered when I was in secondary school, the narrative was more around demonstrating how the Governer General's failsafe works in the event of a hung parliament

:chanpop:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's someone close to the pokies lobby trying to derail the reforms in that area.

That doesn’t exactly narrow it down in NSW

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I feel like there’s something fairly important separating darth vader from the nazi party but can’t quite put my finger on it

Rescue shelters are 99% bull arabs / staffies/ dobermans and then one or two kelpies and a Great Dane.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bucky Fullminster posted:

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Communicating efficiently doesn’t mean dropping the typeface down until it technically fits on a slide

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If I got that slidedeck I’m definitely chucking some notes in the CRM about you bucky fwiw

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Recoome posted:

It's a slight reputational hit for PwC and I'm sure there was some email sent around ensuring that partners actually use the special teams which manage conflicts of interest but not much will actually change here.

Theres a lot of focus on isolating the audit components from the consulting components in the Big 4 (IIRC at least one Big 4 spun off it's management consulting arm in an attempt to de-risk) but what's harder is when you have clients with potentially competing interests. It's why we have the many consulting firms as not one single firm can manage such a huge variety of competing interests but normally it's better managed than this.

I mean throwing some people in jail for twenty years as an example would be a pretty good first step.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Here’s a radical idea, what if government retained some kind of capability for policy analysis and development within the public service :aaaaa:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Even if you’re desperate to be a public service careerist, the APS is where you go to pad your resume for a few years and then come back to a higher paying state role.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Thailand is great not only can you walk into a pharmacy and get antibiotics over the counter, they gave us half a course and told us to just come back for some more if symptoms don’t clear up :stare:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dear Bucky, we would be pleased to organise a sit down with the Minister, although you appear to have forgotten your $50,000 donation. As soon as that comes through we’ll be in touch to sort out diaries.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I can definitely understand the desire to align yourself with institutional power as some form of protection against a very real threat, but imo a float at pride won’t make cops so much as blink before joining their mates in the far right to stomp on some minorities the second they get the chance.

imo progressives tend to massively overestimate how much their enemies give a poo poo about being seen as hypocrites or inconsistent

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kooyong Forever! 🙅‍♀️

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Konomex posted:

Wait, was my cousin even a cop then? He claimed he got stabbed and everything

All cousins are bastards

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ranter posted:

The voice will do nothing to improve the material conditions for indigenous people. It grants no power, and consultation will be ignored like it always has been.

The voice will as actually cause more harm than good because people will think it's a big win, that things will change for the better, so the fight doesn't need to be fought, as hard or st all.

No to the voice.

Tell me what you think happens to advance indigenous interests after the referendum fails.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

there are certainly some indigenous people not on the right wing that arent supportive of the idea of treaty but the main issue i see is primarily that a homogenous treaty of all atsi people as one group will actually strip individual nations of their agency rather than address the huge range of cultures encompassed under our white idea of 'indigenous'

It’s a pretty good thing that most ideas of treaty revolve around multiple local/regional treaties with individual groups then, similar to how the voice proposal put forward from the co-design process actually has local/regional voices as the most important aspects with the national voice acting as sort of an interface between federal government and local/regional voices.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Comstar posted:

Finance writer: The 3 US banks collapsed due to overvalued assets, such as housing and real estate.

Same article, 3 paragraph's later: However, our banks are perfectly fine.

Sounds the a paradyme is refactoring itself back into reality.

Actually it was because the boards had people that weren’t white men on them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Extremely funny seeing how much right wing journalists (approx 98% of journalists with a job in Australia) care about some dipshit getting told their stupid question was stupid vs say the intentional murder of close to a hundred journalists by a genocidal occupying force.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The Guardian agitating about a grand conspiracy (yes there is wankers like the Koch brothers but one is dead and the other irrelevant nowadays) theory flies in the face of that the vast majority of scientists come out in support of action mitigating climate change and that furthermore, this same percentage would likely be reflected in the people in regulatory positions and even an increasing section of investors.

I guess that explains why we’ve seen such incredibly effective climate action from governments worldwide.

Thank gently caress we don’t have to worry about bad actors in climate change anymore, I was worried for a bit.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Having small councils works for the state government because it means none of them gather much political power comparable to the premier, and works for councillors because there’s a bunch more robes and chains to go round. Both state and federal government are as corrupt as each other imo.

City of Melbourne is a liberal org because companies get a vote, otherwise it would be a den of commies like the state and federal electorates that make up the CBD.

Brisbane seems a nice enough City but lol at living anywhere with such a high density of Queenslanders.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

tbh the density of qlders in the inner north of melbourne is probably about as high as brisbane, and i assume this is why nobody likes collingwood

There’s a reason the Yarra exists and it’s largely to keep those people out

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Recoome posted:

Queenslanders are bad but my god no one ever mention COVID around a Melbumian because they’ll turn into a frothing anti-vaxxer who spouts off every LNP talking point from the last 3 years. Absolutely mental stuff and once again supports the Fortress Queensland and Premier Palaszczuk.

I guess this is why Dan Andrews lost the 2022 election in a campbellesque rout

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Honestly I think part of the reason we have a population of dedicated lunatics is that they’re so marginalised from mainstream politics that they decide getting mad and nude on the steps of parliament is their best shot.

As mentioned above we also attract some international grifters because MoSt LoCkDoWnEd CiTy :kingsley:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Breetai posted:

Let's see what the head of the RBA has to say today.

Smells like blockchain.

She also brought up the concept of getting the consumer to bear additional handling costs with regards to making cash transactions, carefully coaching it in terms of 'we think this would be a difficult sell' but also mentionoing such costs in the same breath as loving 'shrinkage'.

That'll be a great tax on the poor and unbanked!

Hell yeah the cookers will start focusing on something other than “walkable neighbourhoods are totalitarian” for a while

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We desperately need aggregation of individual lots to enable well built multi-dwelling development in established suburbs, so the big brain Victorian government have of course decided to make granny flats easier to build and further entrench 1 or2 dwellings on a lot

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Unless they've changed it so that you can no longer only keep one on your property if you have a dependent residing in it, I don't see how that's a bad thing? Multigeneration households are cool and good and far better for the physical, emotional and mental wellbeing of the elderly.

No, that’s the change. It’s open slather second dwelling on a lot. Don’t need a planning permit if the lot is over 300sqm and the secondary dwelling is less than 60sqm (still need a building permit). Also it no longer has to be a removable dwelling like a DPU had to be.

Multigenerational living is a great option, however this will significantly impact the ability to rollout what we need even more: multi-lot development in established areas. There’s only so much densification you can do working lot by lot while retaining any sort of public realm, permeable space, open space, and tree canopy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Non Compos Mentis posted:

isnt the victorian government now overriding councils heritage listings because they were using it to stop any building plans they didnt like? like apartments near train stations

That’s NSW atm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Councils should be allowed to list 100 buildings for local protection and that’s it (that’s way more generous than I would be if I had the choice, anything actually important goes on the state or national heritage lists anyway and doesn’t need local protection)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Nah I would prefer to keep most of the 19th architectural heritage of inner-city Melbourne, it's aesthetically pleasing and half the reason I still live here instead of moving back to the affordable but off-puttingly Ballardian environs of Perth where everything was built 5 minutes ago and looks like Phoenix Arizona.

You’re free to buy and maintain as much of it as you want

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is the map of heritage protection implemented by local councils in Melbourne

https://x.com/heritage_why/status/1419886322680958976

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

What's even the point of heritage listing?

Beyond protecting unique/interesting/historically significant buildings isn't it just sparkling nimbyism?

It’s nimbyism with a fair bit of racism/classism for good measure.

Not only does it restrict increased density where there is access to services and infrastructure, it prevents *those people* from coming in and building their ugly houses.

I have no problem with having significant things listed on the state heritage register and protecting them, but local heritage is an absolute loving crock.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Blanket heritage overlays are disingenuous bullshit and the Vic state govt should follow NSW's lead, however at the other end of the spectrum you just know that the people who run that twitter account or the Sydney YIMBY one would happily tear down the entire inner city and replace it with Corbusian monoliths

Once again, the people that love those buildings are free to buy them and protect them as long as they wish. Hell they could even buy them, chuck a covenant on the title prescribing what they want to keep, and then sell them on again.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Planning approvals are supposed to manage externalities like incompatible adjacent uses or access to daylight and privacy not to enforce some dipshits aesthetic preferences on the world at large and turn a city into a museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I was anti-genocide but after being mildly inconvenienced I am now a staunch Netanyahist