Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shardix posted:

Looking forward to Patch the Good Luck kicking me into a pit of Nineballs

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope we get to see our good friend Patches again
:hai: Hope we get Will Vanderpuye back as Patches.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

FROM's flagship mech series already featured a number of familiar design elements that would eventually come to define their award-winning fantasy games through the 2010s after the arrival and stewardship of director/president Hidetaka Miyazaki: a shattered social fabric, unconventional narrative delivery, nameless player characters, rpg-inspired customization, new game+, PVP, The Moonlight Blade! :grin:, and an ambiguous sense of purpose inside of a huge landscape of pragmatic war-makers, profiteers, space pirates, and violent thrill-seekers.
Beanpole please add Patches to the list of familiar design elements!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Plot-twist: this is the elden ring dlc.

Trailer shows a giant meteor Fallingstar Beast crashing into the planet. :tinfoil:
That’s what happens when you put your faith in corporations to protect you from rogue asteroids instead of Radahn!

punished milkman posted:

it's too bad it's so hard to give From Software money to play the older Armored Core games.

if you want to play For Answer and like me do not have a functional 360 or PS3, save yourself a bunch of wasted time perusing the shittiest websites on the internet, and just use the xenia emulator and find an Xbox 360 ROM of the game. you just open an ISO file with the emulator and it works perfectly.

it does look like it's possible to buy Verdict Day on the Xbox marketplace: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/ARMORED-CORE-VERDICT-DAY/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d0864

AC 5 has a marketplace link, but it doesn't seem like you can buy the game: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Armored-Core-V/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024e4d084f

can't find any of the other games, and there is absolutely nothing on the playstation store

Verdict Day is the only AC game available to download on the PS3 store. I think ACV had a big, big focus on PVP, so that not being available makes sense, but it stinks that 4 & 4A are not available.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I initially dismissed it for the same reasons, but scavenger backpack robot had a heavy souls feel to it. Though once again, that's cinematics, and AC games were bleak as hell long before the souls games existed.

A lot of their games are pretty bleak. The first Otogi could be another time the Old One from Demon’s Souls was woken up with very, very minor story tweaks. In both games you clean up the aftermath and kill a bunch of demons, but the land has been depopulated and left empty and anyone who got their soul eaten (basically everyone) is SOL. Also you can destroy random bits of the environment just like you can roll through barrels and furniture in the souls games and has puzzle bosses that sound better in concept than work in practice.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 12, 2022

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Big Scary Owl posted:

From the IGN interview, thought this was interesting:

Games with Push Forward Combat™:
Doom
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Armored Core 6

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rockstar Massacre posted:

ugh if there's a lock on system that turns the camera for you does that mean there won't be lock-on disrupting gizmos anymore? i loved those for pvp

There is an expansion slot available that had nothing in it during the demonstration media and influencers saw. I wouldn’t be surprised if a radar/lock-on jammer could go there. Or something that replaces the scanner ping with a “break lock-on” ping.

A little sad to see the number of build slots decreased, but it’s probably for the best.

The only thing that seems Souls inspired are the repair kits. So many games these days put primary actions on shoulder buttons. Boss design seems indirectly souls inspired. In a “we now have the experience and understanding to make interesting boss fights that aren’t just other ACs or basically slowly moving buildings with lots of guns” kind of way.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
From needs to go back to making business office software. I’ve been waiting 30 years! Armored Core fans only had to wait 10!

I never played it since it was on the 360, but how was Chromehounds and how did it play in comparison to AC?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

WaltherFeng posted:

Did For Answer have some weird PS3 issues where sometimes it ran at 2 fps during huge fights and you had to change the patch version ingame to fix it or something

Never messed with changing around the in-game patch function for 4A, both 4A and Demon's Souls had similar issues where even the simplest particle effects could absolutely tank frame rates into the single digits. The effect for the anti-magic field spell in DeS and weapons that produced a sort of electricity particle effects in 4A could turn the games into a slide show on PS3 when on screen.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Crazy Achmed posted:

The short stages and the tinkering and upgrades bring central to the gameplay always reminded me of tyrian and raptor as well - although the ammo restrictions end up being very different. But the loop of earning money and getting new, shiny upgrades definitely scratches the same itch, so hopefully there's enough variety of parts available.

Actually, the other thing I'm hoping for is making sure all the decent-tier weapons are actually viable. Like there's a niche for slightly crap weapons for players to use while starting out, but they need to fix stuff like machine guns that only carry enough ammo to do like 2500AP damage total, assume every single shot hits target. Like what the hell were those even for? I guess maybe a quad that relies mostly on shoulder cannons?

Yeah I would like to be able to use parts and weapons that both look cool/fit my build visually but are also viable.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hmmm wondering if Vaati got paid. But also this is already rough, not the game, but the showcase. They really seem to be doing those live and not pre-recorded.

Edit: LOL just literally reshowing the old trailers again.
Edit 2: Didn't even bother to update the date at the end of the Game Awards trailer. Still just said "2023" instead of the exact date.

Edit 3: The fact that this is truly live and only a week before the game launches makes me wonder if someone at Bandai Namco thought they didn't do enough advertising and are trying to cram some in at the last minute like a kid trying to write a 10 page essay the night before its due.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 19, 2023

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Stopped watching. Bandai Namco should kill the stream, pretty sure it would just turn a few people off from the game.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
No ring

Solumin posted:

Most of the criticism I've seen isn't about the story, but rather how they tell it: mission briefing slideshows, which aren't particularly engaging, and mid-combat NPC blurbs, which can be easy to miss when you're trying not to die.
It kind of matters when they expect you to side with a faction when choosing missions, which is apparently how the story branches. Not telling the story well detracts from that.

That said, I really don't expect it to matter much.
I did like the IGN review saying something to the effect of "The story was a bunch of powerpoints and audio clips. So I didn't really care and just wanted to complete missions." Which, even when you don't care about engaging with the story in any way, is still basically engaging with the story. "All these different factions try to convince me to help them out, but man I don't care about that boring political poo poo. I'm a mercenary: I will do whatever as long as you pay me." A mercenary who doesn't really pay attention to what is going on is pretty much the default in a lot of AC games. I wouldn't say it's the best story telling ever, but at the end of the day you are a mercenary doing a lovely things for money on a dying world. You are not a hero where destiny comes to find you. If you want to be anything more then it's on you to pay attention during the boring slide shows and in-mission dialogue. But yeah, again, it's not the most amazing way of telling the story, but I do like how it fits with the gameplay and world and have a soft spot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Glimpse posted:

One exception I found is some of the missiles have an effective range of 2.5km, still not great for a vehicle mounted missile (man portable TOW missiles have a range of 3.75km). Of course, your FCS can’t lock at that distance so that’s purely for hangtime, but I don’t think they’ll ever get near that far in game before losing or hitting a target.

But yeah, these are games. Games need to be fun, realism be damned.

I think even CoD does this. A face full of bullets from an FNP90 and the other SMgs does no damage outside of melee range and you have to use an anti-material rifle to kill an opponent if they are further than across the street from you (and even though only if it's a headshot). The biggest non-battle royale maps are the size of a small city block. And a fair number of players bounce off BR modes because yeah, you do get killed by a single gray pixel a kilometer away.

I do like AC4A's explanation for the ARM's forts: it's actually easier to control a thousand minimum wage precarious employees than 1 highly paid, well armed independent mercenary.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2023