Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/habsfantv_/status/1609666203642888193?s=46&t=8l1C5kIrvSMpGdPY_PcZEg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Came here to post this.

It’s cool how he went from probably returning a first round pick+ to a completely untradeable asset.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Detroit put Jakub Vrana on waivers.

That sucks, I can only assume it's due to some bad off-ice issues he's still dealing with.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nick Backstrom is returning tomorrow after his hip resurfacing surgery he got in the summer.

I’m excited but I find it hard to believe he’s going to come back and be effective given that no one else in the NHL has ever come back from the surgery and played more than a few dozen games.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Backstrom's game isn't really all that much about skating though. It's not like he was ever zipping around like McDavid. As long as he can keep up with the play, I'd imagine he'll still be reasonably effective.

His game is predicated on puck protection and good hips are kind of important for that. He was pretty bad last year when he tried returning without surgery. 31 points in 47 games isn't terrible of course, but it was a huge dropoff from his normal form. I'm hoping he can be better than last year, even if he's not likely to get back to his old form.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also Tom Wilson is coming back tomorrow.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anthony Mantha is going to be a healthy scratch today when Backstrom and Wilson return.

Great trade!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Florida is really gonna miss the playoffs huh?They’re currently only ahead of Montreal in the Atlantic when you go by points percentage.

It has to suck for all 7 of their fans to see them go from winning their first series in 20+ years and the presidents trophy last year to this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think it's funny that Tom Wilson tore his ACL specifically because he decided against running a Florida player.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like the net always used to come off when Ilya Samsonov played in Washington. I never saw him mess with it but it makes sense that he would be doing the same thing as Murray.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Apparently John Carlson’s ear had to be reattached when he took the slap shot to the head a few weeks ago. That’s pretty grisly and explains why he’s going to be out for so long.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Why do I feel like the Caps are losing to the Flyers tonight?

Probably because they got outshot 2:1 by the Blue Jackets when Columbus was on the second end of a b2b while Washington was rested. Hopefully Backstrom and Wilson play better tonight.

Washington needs to keep winning because they really need to avoid the wild card this year. Avoiding Carolina and especially Boston in the first round seems like a prudent move. Much rather they take their chances with one of NJ/NYR/PIT.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Peter Laviolette galaxy brained himself into scratching Dylan Strome tonight which is really stupid. I feel like he’s a good coach when it comes to strategy but his personnel decision are friggin stupid as hell.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Nicholas Backstrom actually looked like Nicholas Backstrom last night for the first time in a long time. Hip resurfacing surgery is no loving joke and it’s amazing he can even play. Google it up on youtube if you want to vomit.

Yeah it was fun to see him make some plays last night. He's still super slow but he seems maybe a step faster than last year. But until he proves otherwise I'm still skeptical he's going to be effective due to the nature of the surgery.

Wilson also had his best game since returning. Hopefully both guys were just rusty as hell and are back up to game speed because they're about to enter a tough stretch in their schedule.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

efb

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

lmao even Deangelo was out for warmups wearing it. They didn't wear them for the game

lol the Flyers

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait didn’t Tortorella say he would bench a player for kneeling for the national anthem?

drat it must suck to be a Flyers fan

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

He’s been a piece of poo poo with awful takes his whole career, dunno why sports journalists fall over themselves writing articles about how good of a guy he is at heart

Because those journalists agree with him

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

You have to imagine SJ and Karlsson have to be trying to facilitate a trade to a contender while his value his high.

But it’s such a weird case because his contract seems untradeable even though he’s arguably the Norris frontrunner this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Bruce is 68 years old so while I think he'd still be a good coach I feel like he's probably only got one more shot before he decides to retire.

Toronto would be a fun stop for him if when the Leafs can Sheldon Keefe after they lose in the first round again.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://youtu.be/1aws0kvaBbM

Bruce Boudreau rules

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

e:
Apparently the capitals 4th line is loving beastly. I didn't know Dowd and Hatheway were that good

The Capitals 4th line and their defensemen mask how much worse guys like Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Backstrom have become. Washington transformed into a team carried by their depth players after they won the Cup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1619448144676421632?s=46&t=yGuk5moVkPIRCgr_qRd6_w

Binnington is a gigantic baby, part 6436732

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington probably shouldn’t do much because they are also-rans who don’t have a legit shot at winning it all.

That said I’m surprised that speculation is that they want a defenseman. Their defense is largely fine, it’s their forwards that stink this year. Marcus Johansson is second on the team in goals with 13. Through 51 games in a higher scoring NHL that’s really bad!

I think they just need to stand pat and do a retool this offseason. Maybe get rid of Oshie and Mantha. I love Oshie but the dude is broken and he says he can barely walk nowadays.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Being serious, Boeser would be a really good fit with the Caps. For all the crap he's taken this year he's on pace for 60pts and has looked considerably better this past month. If you stop thinking of him as a pure goalscorer and instead as a complimentary winger he's still pretty decent. He's a perfectly adequate third guy on any line. Defensively he's fine to good and offensively he's inconsistent but an improvement over Mantha or Sheary. I imagine he'd end up filling a similar niche to what Vrana did with the Caps a few years ago.

Boeser is overpaid for sure, but with retention and/or taking back a throw in contract like idk Lars Eller there's a workable deal there. The return wouldn't be much, and I think Boeser would do well as a cleanup guy on the Caps powerplay.

I don’t know that I agree with this. Washington is in dire need of top-end talent and not just another complementary player. Outside of Ovechkin Washington’s top 6 forwards are easily among the worst of all playoff teams/fringe teams. Oshie and Backstrom are old and broken, Kuznetsov is in la la land most of the time, Mantha never gelled, Strome is fine but is a 2C playing higher than he should be, Wilson is fine but certainly not elite, etc.

I don’t think Boeser really does much for them. If they are going to target an expensive player might as well go all in for Timo Meier and extend him. He’s a guy who can actually anchor a scoring line.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Buffalo really should be looking to add. Probably not all in but making the playoffs should be a big deal for them after years of misery.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

They are useful at making me laugh.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I want Bedard in the East so I can watch more games. I don’t really care where. Philly would be fun to be honest.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tortorella healthy-scratching Bedard because he doesn’t block shots would be funny.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Buckle up, this poo poo’s gonna be a wild ride to the end.

It's hard to believe Boston and Carolina don't wipe the floor with whatever two teams come out of this trash heap.

Washington put a scare into Florida last year as a Wild Card but Florida was also a pretty flawed team. Boston and Carolina aren't perfect but neither seems like the type of team to choke to any of the wild card teams in the East.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin is out for at least a few games so Washington’s leading goal scorer is now Marcus Johansson with 13 goals. That’s bad!

I think Washington needs to consider selling. I’m not sure if they’re going to re-sign Orlov but he’d probably return a first round pick and maybe a bit more. Jensen could return a nice haul too, he’s a very good player on a cheap contract. And some team (Edmonton) would overpay for Hathaway too because of grit. Gustafsson is another guy who could get a surprisingly high return. Sheary, Johansson, TVR, Eller would all return mid-round picks. Maybe someone will value Mantha.

Maybe they shouldn’t sell everyone because they need a roster for next year but it will be pretty annoying to see them do nothing or buy at the deadline and either miss the playoffs or get curbstomped by BOS/CAR when they do have some decently valuable assets on the trade market.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just looked up Washington's player stats and I never would've guessed who their top 5 goal scorers are after Ovechkin. This roster looks so bad on paper too. Nearly at the end of an era for the Caps I guess.

Their forwards are really bad outside of Ovechkin. Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Oshie are all shells of themselves. Mantha has been a bust. Eller has 1 point in 2023. Sheary and Johansson are fine as third liners but too bad they have to play top 6 minutes because their other players stink.

I think their D and goaltenders are pretty good but too bad like all their D are UFAs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it seems like Washington actually made some really solid depth moves on F (Milano/Strome specifically), but that their core outside of Ovi just isn't good enough anymore (or at least this season). Kind of the opposite problem that the Pens are having, interestingly enough.

Yeah Pittsburgh theoretically has the much easier path to becoming contenders again. Getting good depth players is doable over the course of an offseason and TDL.

Washington is in a much worse position going forward. Their prospect pool stinks and their star players stink (relative to other teams’ cores). How exactly are they supposed to bring in a 1C and like two more top 6 wingers? They really don’t have any way to do that.

They also can’t really rebuild because they want to get Ovechkin to 895 and they need some decent talent around to help get him there.

The future is bleak but hey it’s been a fun ride and 895 should be one more big accomplishment before years of sucking. It’s been worth it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

:fork:

The Caps are done. They need to sell and stop pretending they have any hope this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know Florida hiring Maurice was laughable and losing Weegar hurt them defensively but man did they do great getting Matt Tkachuk long term and avoiding signing Huberdeau long term.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Remind me to never put my kids in competitive sports.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It’s funny how Penguins fans are still mad at David Steckel

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I was hoping the Leafs were going to give up their first for like Joel Edmundson instead of making a reasonable move with it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think I want to see Washington get blown out tonight so they can just hurry up and sell. They need to retool this offseason or at least collect assets so they can try to be competitive the season after next. And they have plenty of potentially attractive pieces to sell this deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

They may not obsessively trade all their pucks for veteran rentals every spring like the Pens do, but the Caps are not going to be sellers as long as Ovi is there.

This year really seems like a lost cause for them. Nothing wrong with throwing in the towel for a season and making the best of a bad situation.

I'm not saying they should blow it up and trade everyone, but I think it'd be wise for them to do what they can to load up for next year. That probably includes selling guys like Eller, Sheary, Hathaway, etc. Maybe they try to sign Orlov and Jensen because they are both good but they really need to get what they can for guys who won't be there next year rather than just using them as their own rentals. Because they have basically zero shot this year.