Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Matt Zerella posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers but my god they looked bad tonight. Is it really all Maurice?

There's a million small things making this year awful. Duclair's been out the entire time, Barkov, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, Hornquist and Ekblad have all been injured for medium-length stretches, Sam Bennett has gone back to looking like a 4th liner on the Flames despite playing as the 1C and 2C, Sam Reinhart went from playing well and being snakebitten to just looking straight up bad, the Staal brothers are absolute disasters, Ekblad has not at all looked like a #1 d-man, the rest of the defense is led by loving Gustav Forsling and Brandon Montour who are... fine but really not good enough, Bobrovsky is just a huge pumpkin (not the current GM's fault), Knight is league-average with this godawful defense not helping him out, they're 24th in the PP despite having an insane amount of top-end forward talent, they're 21st on the PK because they play both Staals on that thing and they suuuuuuuck, they have zero cap space and frequently can't even roster 23 players, they might have to trade one of their top six at a loss just to bring Duclair back, Bobrovsky is still taking $10 mil of the cap, they don't have any firsts for a few years, they had a few young forwards to see if they could give anything but they still look outmatched at an NHL level, they have zero defensive prospects...

And, yes, they hired Paul Maurice. I don't want to hear anything about how they're 6th in expected goals in the league thanks to his systems. They're putrid to watch. Last year's Panthers generated so much offense off the rush for both them and the other team, and they were always in the game. The team this year genuinely looks like they've quit. I really, really, really hope that Maurice is either fired or retires again after destroying another locker room's culture.

I watch one game a week this season mostly because of how depressing the Panthers have been, along with four of my other teams all fighting for Bedard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

.Spec posted:

I had the thought they should play it at the rink in Winthrop so it's actually you know, cold but they obviously can't pack 40k people in there. I guess it's cool they're doing one here but it's going to be 51° and sprinkling the whole time and the teams will trading ends every 10 minutes after a period.

It'll be fine. Worst comes to worst with regards to rain, they can close the roof on T-Mobile Park. I'm pretty excited even though I am absolutely not going to be able to get a ticket.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1610463085227315202

I immediately thought of the time two pairs of Leafs collided with each other, leaving just one skater standing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubV_tKfkUI#t=5s

... but I could swear there was another incident in the mid-late 00s?

With all apologies to my Canuck friends, this is the go-to moment for teammates colliding in the NHL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsG4i8kadw

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Koth posted:

Sorry to bring him up, but Corey Perry once scored a goal with an opponents stick. I think it was allowed because the other guy stole Perry's stick first?

This is the incident in question. Fortunately, it was Bobby Ryan who ended up scoring, not Corey Perry, so there's that. Mikko Koivu loses his stick right at the start and then immediately steals Bobby Ryan's stick out of his hands. One of the Wild forwards recognizes Koivu's stick on the ice and starts trying to push it back to him, failing to realize that Koivu now has Ryan's stick. So Ryan ends up picking up Koivu's stick thanks to that Wild forward and scores with it despite it being a stick for a lefty when Ryan's a righty. Very funny all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmi8CR2sxXA

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Sabres, Red Wings and Senators all have more points than Florida with less games played, what an absolute trainwreck. No 1st rounder for 3 years lol

Paul Maurice has ruined hockey.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
So I know that SOMEONE has to come out of the Pacific with 3 guaranteed spots, but I'm surprised at the Kings being in second there. What's the story? Easy schedule? Prospects finally breaking through? Quick revived again? Just feels surprising to see them above the Flames and Oilers and in 2nd.

Similarly, how are the Jets in 2nd in the Central over the Blues or Wild? Is it really just removing Paul Maurice?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Call Your Grandma posted:

i know this is tongue in cheek but occassionally a really good player falls to 9th like ehlers in 2014

The guy who just scored the OT winner for Canada at the World Juniors was the 9th overall back in 2021! Fortunately, the Canucks had nothing to do with that pick at any point.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mind_Taker posted:

So Florida is really gonna miss the playoffs huh?They’re currently only ahead of Montreal in the Atlantic when you go by points percentage.

It has to suck for all 7 of their fans to see them go from winning their first series in 20+ years and the presidents trophy last year to this.

It does suck a lot. I've tried to explain a couple of times what the deal is with them but someone on the Panthers SBNation blog has a great summary of what's happened this first year.

"At the halfway point, the Panthers are 15th in the NHL in goals forced (3.22), scoring nearly a full goal per game less than last season (4.11). The Cats have the 10th-worst goals allowed average (3.41), almost a half a goal per game more than last season (2.95). The powerplay is 20.3% effective, 22nd in the league, four percent worse than last season (24.4%). The penalty kill is also 22nd at 75%, nearly five percentage points worse than a year ago (79.5%).

The Panthers are in the worse half of the league in team face-off percentage, hits, blocked shots, giveaways, takeaways, shooting percentage, and missed shots. They have taken the most penalties in the NHL. The most minor penalties, by a long shot, with the second most misconducts.

If you like shots and don't care about the quality of shots or the amount of shots that lead to goals, then this is the team for you. The 5-on-5 possession numbers are good, but not as good as those first 13 games.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Zito, Barkov, Ekblad, Bobrovsky, Knight... name your scapegoats. The Panthers are in this position for a number of different reasons, but there is one that stands out above the rest. You all know what I'm going to say. You know who it is...

The Panthers are the embodiment of mediocrity. Paul Maurice has, inexplicably, neutered the most exciting and dynamic offense the NHL had seen in two decades. The best hockey team that fans in South Florida had ever seen has evaporated and the culture, identity, and swagger built under Zito and Quenneville has disintegrated. He has made the Panthers worse in nearly every aspect of the game. He has ruined this team. Ruined it, from top-to-bottom. Everything that was great about the Panthers build is gone; crumbled away because of the decision to put Paul Maurice in charge of this team.

Fire him. Fire him now. Consequences be damned. He took the best team in hockey and ruined it in 41 games. Andrew Brunette must be laughing every time he looks at the standings. Fire Paul Maurice. Right now. Don't wait. Fans, call your reps and request he be fired. Start the chants at the home games. Write the letters to the owners. Fire him. Fire him this second."

At least someone on the team had a milestone with yesterday's 5-1 loss to Dallas.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Call Your Grandma posted:

one of the best players to ever play is having a career year and it's no match for hakstol's coaching prowess

It's a bit soon to call Matty Beniers "one of the best players to ever play", but, hell, I'm all for it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The first coach to defeat the Bruins in regulation at home is Dave Hakstol off the back of a shutout by Martin Jones. What a world.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

thinktank’s posts in this thread are like reading a Cormac McCarthy novel. is there a bleaker outlook for a franchise over the next five years in the big four sports leagues?

e: i tried to think of one. i can’t. even the loving Detroit Lions are in way better shape

Canucks are probably at the bottom, but as far as bleakest outlook over the next five years, depending on how this offseason goes with Sean McVay, the LA Rams could have an argument. Of course, the Rams did actually win the Super Bowl when they blew all their draft capital, unlike the Canucks, so... yeah. Bleakest outlook with least amount of success goes to the Canucks.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Levitate posted:

They're gonna get bounced in the playoffs but say "it was a learning experience, they'll be back and better next year!" and then next year they're gonna struggle for most of it and maybe turn it on to sneak into the playoffs where it's 50/50 whether they'll actually do better or just flame out again

that's how it goes with young exciting teams you can't change fate

Or they hire Paul Maurice and trade Dougie Hamilton and Erik Haula for Pierre Luc-Dubois and everything works perfectly

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I have to think OEL and Connor Garland were perhaps somewhat behind this, as insanely stupid as it makes them sound. Tocchet was the coach for the Coyotes for 4 pretty miserable years save the bubble year that Darcy Keumper and Antti Raata each played like Vezina winners, the team traded FOR Taylor Hall, and they won a qualifying round (and then immediately got their poo poo kicked in by the Avs lol). Still, Tocchet's system was terrible, and truly miserable to watch. Sucks that the Canucks' organization thinks that he might in any way be good at getting talent to perform because, uh, no. He really sucks. Best you can hope for is maybe the goaltending improves.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Salivating that the Coyotes' might get one of the top-5 forwards available in the draft to go with the rest of the extremely strong set of scoring prospects already there. Man, imagine the Coyotes being able to score 3.7 goals per game.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Nick Foligno was 10th in the league in scoring one year.

The year that Jamie Benn won the scoring title with 87 points in 82 games should not be a year celebrated. We should simply banish all mention of it out of the NHL record books in hopes we never see it again.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mennoknight posted:

people picking the Flames to make the playoffs must not be watching them. Holy hell they suck rear end.

This but the Panthers

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

fermun posted:

It is completely absurd that Arizona traded away Conor Timmins for an AHL player. At least when the Avs traded him away they got what became their cup-winning goalie in return and that's a trade any GM would make, but what the hell was Arizona thinking

Curtis Douglas is 6'9". Can't teach that.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Yeah that's what you guys all say and then you make fun of teams that trade for Ryan Dzingel and Ben Chiarot as playoff rentals :mad:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's the Kraken's year. We've waited our whole franchise's life to make the playoffs, and we're gonna win it right away.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers are now justified in the firing of Andrew Brunette.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I would think the best-case scenario for Canucks fans would be making the playoffs and winning the cup, but alas I don't fully understand how people cheer for their teams.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Matthew Tkachuk with 2g3a tonight, glad he powered through that all star weekend hangover

It's half a season in and before the prospect + pick develop or don't, but I think it's safe to say the Panthers won that trade. Tkachuk is the truth while I haven't heard anyone liking Huberdeau or Weegar's performances so far. The Panthers played the Lightning tonight like how they played most of their games pre-Paul Maurice and it loving worked wonders. If they want to go back to that style full-time, the team has 17 more home games to climb back into the playoff picture. Still think it's too late to do so, but who knows. Even Bobrovsky looked great.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Has there been any indication that literally any hockey player raised up through Juniors would pull a Lindros anymore? They're all the same robot with no personality that just say "gotta play our game" and believe in the coach/team above all else. There's no way any of them would rebel like a Lindros.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm going to miss Chychrun. Really can't give up Keller anymore or there's truly no one to go watch on the Yotes.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

heehee posted:

what about phil kessel

He's on the Golden Knights this year.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

T-Bone posted:

Pittsburgh should still be fine I think, but it sure looks like Florida is gonna overtake the Caps.

It does feel like the Caps are destined to have the bottom fall out, but I wouldn't be confident that it's the Panthers doing so. Right now, they're riding a hot Bobrovsky as Paul Maurice plays the top players 30 minutes a night. It's really unsustainable. I don't know what Buffalo and Detroit are doing to stay in the race but it wouldn't shock me if either of them overtake the clearly gassed Panthers soon.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Carter Verhaeghe has scored 30 goals this year. What's the most anonymous player to score 30, 40, or 50 goals? Because who the gently caress is Carter Verhaeghe?

Also, no one pointing out that McDavid has 102 points already and 20 points over #2 because ho-hum it's just McDavid.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I know Carter Verhaeghe very well as a Panthers fan, but I figure he's anonymous across the league. Leafs fans know him as a 3rd rounder that left before developing, and Lightning fans know him as a 4th liner that left to get a bigger role, but does the league at large know him? Just on the Panthers alone, you'd expect to know Barkov, Tkachuk, Bobrovksy, Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad before Verhaeghe due to a mix of draft pedigree and (former) star status. It's cool if people now know him widely.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

This playoff setup they changed to is a joke, it’s February and it’s all but etched into stone that Toronto and Tampa are going to play each other in Round 1

Is this a problem? Sounds like a perfect first round matchup to me.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Need to make a rule that states that you can only trade a player you've scratched for trade-related purposes for other players scratched for trade-related purposes, or at least put a games limit on how many games in a row you can do that for. This is silly. Not a big deal, but annoying. At least it isn't like the LTIR shenanigans and the cap hit still matters, right?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Another Jones to the Blackhawks, huh. How many more before they have a full team of Jones?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm into the Rangers going for it. I haven't seen a team load it up like that in ages

The Panthers loaded it up just last year! Now, loading it up with Ben Chiarot, Brandon Montour, and Claude Giroux may not have worked or be quite as "loaded up" as you might think, but still!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Matt Zerella posted:

Getting mad at players getting paid for not playing, and teams exploiting the cap, is some a+ bootlicking. It’s like someone let my dad and uncle in here.

It's true, I'm a bootlicking chud that wants those drat players to shut up and play this children's game or put a skirt on them instead. I really don't think it's that crazy a take to say that I want to watch players play the sport, especially Chychrun for Arizona when there's so few reasons to watch them already. It's great for players to get paid for not doing anything, I agree.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
If it makes you feel better, teams can only move up 10 slots in the draft because the NHL changed the rules.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I look forward to a solid decade of terrible, unwatchable Penguins teams with no hope of improvement anytime soon. Every time a Canucks fan posts I think "oh man that's gonna be me, so much fun!!" Can't wait to join PAS in 2026 posting things like "sure we're gonna be terrible until at minimum 2032, but it was totally worth it to watch them get curbstomped by the Bruins back in '23. So great"

The Pens won 3 cups with this core. The Canucks won zero. There will always be the victory DVDs to watch.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

whatis posted:

I think you're discounting how bad the goaltending is. "Great stretches" mean nothing when they are consistently followed up by absolute garbage. There are 45 goaltenders with a better sv% than UPL lol.

And if Adams goes into next season with UPL and Comrie as his top 2 goaltenders it'll be the biggest mistake of his tenure as GM. Resting the fate of the entire season hoping that UPL magically becomes consistent is an incredibly dumb thing to do.

Don't the Sabres have like 2 of the best goaltending prospects at the moment? Levi and someone else? If you're expecting the window to open in 2-3 years rather than next year, I feel like it's fine letting things play out like this.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

This loving sucks. Dude has been injured a good amount of this year and didn't look great when not injured. Hope he's alright and it becomes another reason Zito uses to kick Maurice to the curb.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This just in: Patrick Kane traded for Timo Meier. This deal is one for one.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Have you considered the Blues actually wanted Kasperi Kapanen and didn't care about his "bad contract"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Jeannot led all rookies in goals last year, hits really hard, and feels like someone that is going to get a Milan Lucic-esque contract that'll be instantly regretted. Fun player. Wonder who got him.