Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers but my god they looked bad tonight. Is it really all Maurice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/Mcbearcat7557/status/1610475350529540096

This sounds fake but I’ll take it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That's a legit great deal for Vesey. 50k raise for him and a contract you can hide in Hartford if needed (provided he passes waivers).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers have some really big cap crunch issues going forward. No way do they trade Othmann.

My guess is they'll offer 2 1sts and a b prospect like Robertson or tell Chicago to kick rocks.

Price will probably be lower if Kane refuses to waive for anyone except NYR.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/EvolvingWild/status/1610846232590667777

IDK what I like more, the sweaters or the pass.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a smart coach? Gallant ain't it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Who?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

I also had this reaction, so I looked him up on Capfriendly and saw that he's a 23-year old center who's a former 2nd round pick that's signed for the next two years at league minimum and had decent numbers in the AHL last year, though he has 0 points through 22 games with Vegas this year and pretty bad fancy stats numbers.

With that information, I felt this was a decent claim to take a chance on.

Then I went on Twitter and they're saying he's basically the worst skater in the league so I don't know what to think.

Looks like Rydahl is hurt too so i guess it makes a little more sense? No idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hes been so good lately its awesome. Slow start to the season but he looks like he’s back and getting better by the game.

Also Fox is right back to Norris status.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1613736261080023040

This whole sequence was ridiculous.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's cool that the Bruins traded Lindgren and the 26th pick, which the Rangers traded for the pick they got Miller with, for a handful of games of Rick Nash.

To be clear I am fine with that still. It was the right move for that Bruins team to make. But man, that trade worked out great for the Rangers.

It certainly makes the McDonaugh/Miller(lol) trade easier to stomach.

Edit:

Levitate posted:

yeah I think they gotta move Trouba eventually unless the cap skyrockets. Schneider is already basically providing equal value on the ice.

Lindgren is funny. I don't think he'd really hold down a top D spot without being paired with Fox but they work real well together. He's playing quite well this year and is a bargain for a guy who can play with Fox like that.

Schneider's nickname is Baby Trouba and it checks out. He's been great in the recent run.

And I get big Leetch/Beukeboom vibes from Fox/Lindgren.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 13, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/turn_rake13/status/1614029978420617217

Volume up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

eXXon posted:

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

POTVIN SUCKS!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nat to take anything away from Buffalo but Pronman is wrong a whole lot (he though K'Andre Miller was a sub par skater :lol: )

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Obviously the potential ceiling is way higher, yeah, the comparison was more along the lines of "this guy will likely be incapable of performing the role you're getting him for" both because of injury and because age/production would point to them declining

Honest question but what is it about Leafs fans where whatever rental is rumored to you I see replies like this? ROR would probably be pretty great if you can fit him cap wise and he's healthy.

I feel like I saw this when the rumor was Mcdonagh, and earlier this season, Vatrano.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Don't worry Vancouver, you'll have Gallant in a year or two. It'll be great (for a season).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1617034983025119233?s=20&t=nz2TFXLbyfOo7zex0XmpJg

The maniacs actually managed to make an era darker than the Messier years. Rock bottom, there it is.

gently caress me thats brutal and amazing. A+ job by the fans there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/DaveyUpper/status/1618419805824118785?s=20&t=FCTifrpLBvhYmG5uW8Zgrw

This is pure filth from Kakko. I missed the game because I'm in Italy for work. Looks like the kid line did really well last night?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good soup! posted:

One of my favorite Brodeur memories, partly because of Gary Thorne's hilarious call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoIWzd__uA

:byodood:HE GOT TIED UP AND LOST HIS STICK

Thought the puck was a ring ding.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, he sucks but hes been “fine” on the bottom pair and that contract can be buried easily. Not gonna call it a good signing but im not mad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/nhlnetwork/status/1619121953578565634?s=46&t=0uNJxLCwOiO7CMOBDutcCA

It feels like they only tweeted this as a setup for other teams fans to dunk on them, Devils especially because Hughes almost has more points than all 3 combined lol

But ya, they’re alright

https://twitter.com/moneypuckdotcom/status/1619332214113865728?s=46&t=a8JP2YR0OYSZzZP2zpO2Dw

They're borderline spectacular and if Gallant wants to keep his job he will use them as the second line for the rest of the season and not break them up.

Devils fans can chirp all they want. Laf will come around Kakko is our second best 2 way player next to Mika, and what else can I say about Chytil that hasn't been said.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm as high on the kid as anyone and hate Kreider but I think that big rear end in a top hat still technically holds that crown.

It's close for sure but to me it's Kakko but I'm not going to argue Kreider doesn't deserve that title either.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Also I'm very skeptical of that chart because it doesn't have any lines from the Bruins, Lightning, or Devils. That's suspicious.

Kakko is on it twice :smuggo:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Can we talk about who the Rangers need to buyout to afford his next contract? Or likely trade destinations?

It's a really big problem and that Trocheck contract gets worse as time goes on. Drury is a loving moron for not letting Chytil take over 2C.

They're also going to have problems with Kakko and Miller. They quickly went from "great contract situation" to capfucked in the span of 2 years. Goodrow and Trouba should be the candidates to get away from but I don't see that happening. My first guess is Lindgren is going to get traded which causes another problem.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

Lindgren is one of those defensemen that gets a little underappreciated because he doesn’t play a flashy game or put up points, but is a perfect partner to a top offensive d like Fox.

Reminds me a bit of Dylan Demelo, he was perfect for Chabot and then Pierre flipped him for a 3rd to Winnipeg where he is playing 22+ mins a night with Morrissey now.

I fully appreciate him. It's pretty clear the defense completely falls apart whenever he misses time. And this year if that happens it means Harpur gets moved up which is really bad.

But he's probably the most movable asset they have if they can't figure something out this off-season. This is all moot if Drury goes full moron and decides to trade Chytil.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Trouba would not let that jersey incident happen if he had any say in it so my guess is Dolan. Love Trouba or hate him he's all for that kind of thing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/rangers-made-an-absolute-mess-with-pride-night-about-face/

quote:

Two players separately told Post colleague Larry Brooks and me that there were no team discussions about sporting the pride-themed jerseys and tape. They did not know why they didn’t wear them. Brooks also reached out to the NHL’s deputy commissioner and chief legal officer, Bill Daly, to see if teams had been advised not to proceed with their original Pride Night plans in the aftermath of Provorov’s refusal. Daly said no and that each club is entitled to proceed as it sees fit.

So if it wasn’t the players and it wasn’t the league, then it appears the decision must have come from higher up in the Rangers’ organization.

gently caress James Dolan.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

clean ayers act posted:

Jonathan marchessault told the beat writer hes only ever read 1 book. "a harry potter book"

Liberals are allowed to play hockey too, what’s the problem here?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers need defense more than RW. If/ when Lindgren goes down, they're in big trouble.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mike_V posted:

The Rangers should trade for Vladimir Tarasenko

Sure. Blais and a second who says no?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Trash talking or just being an rear end in a top hat? Because there are a few of the latter.

Lmao every time I see this

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I can’t believe that none of Marner’s teammates like him enough to have a frank discussion about this hat style, cause he’s been trying it for years and never made it work

https://twitter.com/yanoforsure/status/1621623121772945408?s=46&t=hpRKo2HnITHxJC9KHGFwBQ

what no ark of the covenant does to a mfer

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Elias Pettersson is criminally underrated. He's on pace for 100pts and is a top quality two way forward. Plus he just won the hardest shot competition. If he was on a good team he'd been mentioned in the same breath as Barkov.

No idea how/if it could happen but I want him on the Rangers really bad. He's awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The Rangers probably just have the assets to put together a futures package for Pettersson, but the Canucks have made it pretty clear they're not going to do that. If they were intending to trade Pettersson for picks and prospects, why bother extending Kuzmenko? The Canucks would probably ask for Adam Fox and that's probably realistic value wise, but unless I've missed the Rangers suddenly deciding they needed a wholesale shakeup I can't imagine they'd want to do that.

I think I'd be willing to part with Miller for him but not Fox. As much as I love Key, Fox goes nowhere unless he gets Leetched later on in his career.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That Trochek contract is really bad and proof Drury is a dummy. It's way worse than Goodrow. 6mil a year for a 3C is awful.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Chytil was ready to take over 2C and they could have signed a cheaper 3C. He's the best Rangers draft pick not named Shesterkin or Miller of the past 5 years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Guys whose only talent is hitting like Trouba become huge liabilities in the playoffs so it's a little self correcting.

What you need is a guy with actual talent who's also a violent rear end in a top hat. That's the ticket.

He doesn't need to do much else when Key is his partner.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

He wasn’t able to solidify that spot and gets injured all the time

The spot was solidified in the playoffs where he was on fire and Drury went out and signed a mediocre Strome clone to a 12 year contract.

Players get hurt and hes been in the league since he was what, 19? Kid took some bumps, it happens. Kakko has been injured a lot too and no one calls him injury prone.

Criminally underrated even by the fan base.

E: Mika got hurt a lot too when he came to NY, no one said a thing.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I feel bad for Sid having to do another spell in the spinny chair, but on the other hand, it has been wildly entertaining watching all of RAS rush enthusiastically onto the "Actually headhunting is both cool and good" train after a flagrantly dirty elbow KO'ing the other team's best player unquestionably won their team a playoff series they would otherwise have lost in 5 games.

Show your work please. It’s equally entertaining seeing PAS twist a borderline hit into a Scott Stevens level event.