Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It was nice of the Leafs to end the previous year by thrashing the Colorado Avalanche, proving that they are indeed the best team in hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Connor Bedard come home please.

The league is not ready for The Connor Wars.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think it's showing that Bratt isn't shooting himself.

Yeah it's "giving the good passes" vs "shots off receiving the good passes." Bratt is in The Oates Zone.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I feel like I want to see more than half a season of good Tage Thompson before I declare him a perennial forty goal scorer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Did anyone have any idea Connor Timmins was this good?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yep. Ownership must be hosed because they've been through this pattern a couple times now.

This is a bit different because last time they were very much taking revenge against any analytics-friendly players whereas this time the trade for Tkachuk was leaning into the All Math All Stars.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If I redrafted 2016 I'd probably pick Laine in the 10-15 range. So yeah he's not 2nd overall good, but he's not a bust by any stretch of the imagination.

This got me to flip through the 2016 draft again and it's not very good. He's probably still top 5 on a redraft. Like, you've got Matthews, Fox and Tkachuk above the rest. Then you've got a second tier with, like, McAvoy, Sergachyev, deBrincat and Laine. Maybe I'm missing some more people who have played fewer games or are scattered through the later rounds, but it's a whole hell of a lot weaker than 2015.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

It definitely was at the start of the year, when Auston freaking Matthews of all people is passing off shooting opportunities and only taking off-side one-timers on the powerplay for a month it’s not hard to compare to the two previous times his wrist has been hosed up and he started doing the exact same thing. Weirdly he seemed to be snapping off his shots a little bit better lately but nagging injuries gonna nag I guess

I wonder if this has been on the books for a while and the actual breaking point hasn't been anything to do with Matthews but rather the Leafs deciding it's not worth it to go all out to chase the division now that Boston's so far ahead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Remember Denis Gurianov?

With a tear in my eye. The last truly off the board early(ish) pick.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I'm sure if Seattle has shown interest in Horvat, the Canucks have brought up Shane Wright's name. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. At the same time I'm equally sure that Seattle's response was a curt "no" and the conversation ended there.

This is a very plausible scenario because it makes both front offices look like morons.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

According to the closed caption translation there she's only 14, with the tournament being the U18s. TSN put out a whole highlight reel of just her last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LqWyS9ZwQ

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Piss on Eddie Shore.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Auston Matthews had his knee fall off.

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1618994657614270465?s=20&t=sAUObzx0vHLMwY7CxbTDVQ

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Speaking of medical staff, I’m sorry but Vancouver was letting Ilya Mikheyev play on a torn ACL? What the gently caress?

Last week someone like Bourne or Charron was posting video about how much slower Mikheyev was looking this year compared to last year and, well, I guess we have our answer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Issuing a correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the hockey player Brad Marchand. You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him."

Let's test that

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63/status/1620846220301438976?s=20&t=RYmGLy_QoUkvEc6wZocq_g

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Is there a ThinkTank age chart for teams getting hot going into the playoffs and playoff success correlation?

The one that's burned in my brain is the 2000 Devils being so bad down the stretch that it cost Ftorek his job (March 23rd!), of course Robinson took over and yadda yadda yadda, but maybe firing a coach breaks the rule

It's been years since I've seen it but I'm familiar with the "it's the last 25% of the season that matters" bit. It's about a third/third/third between "October was so long ago those games don't have a ton of predictive value," "rosters can meaningfully change at the trade deadline," and "last quarter better captures non-random things that affect team results like injuries." So it's more substantive than "which team gets hot," even though it can seem like that at a glance.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

While it involves being pretty wrong over how good the player is, the most recent example is probably Seth Jones to Chicago.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I guess some of the NBA deal zone leaked into the NHL

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

eXXon posted:

Did you actually want Tarasenko? The price was fine, but also he had an NTC and might have forced his way to NYR regardless. I can't say I'm expecting Dubas to make a splash and solve the top 6 LW problem, but I'll wait until the deadline to castigate him.

Anyway, this is alright:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1623751388835549184

That seems like a very good extension for Toronto.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Front-runners I think are Buffalo and LA right?

LA, Toronto and Edmonton supposedly.

https://twitter.com/LLysowski/status/1624576384222756866?s=20&t=KEx1ZAe_eUZcfVAj5FTCiQ

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nick Foligno to the Leafs!!!

That was just using a team as an intermediary to retain salary, wasn't it? There are a few of those and I don't think they're really in the spirit of things.

As for real three-way trades, there was one with Tampa, Detroit and... San Jose(?) back in the day. I think it involved Matt Carle and a first round pick that would turn into Vasilevsky.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

He did say he wouldn’t move it specifically for a rental… which is also clearly a lie here lol

Genuinely shocked that the GM made public statements to strengthen rather than weaken his bargaining position.

Anyway I am broadly ambivalent about O'Reilly but trades are always cool.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

On second thought, after taking three tries to spell "O'Reilly" I have decided that having both O'Reilly and Rielly on the team is a tremendous burden on me and so the trade is bad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

For this season ROR was getting something like 80% defensive zone starts, was the main player to take on the other teams top lines, and his main line mates were Josh Leivo and some other guy I don’t even remember. Also, the Blues, especially the defense, are bad this year so that’s even more work.

Someone posted on twitter that his main linemates this year were Leivo, Schenn, and Kyrou. It looked like the lineups with Kyrou did very poorly, and the lineups without him were just fine.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1627091821951344643?s=20

O'Reilly on the second line with Tavares moved to the wing, and Acciari on to the fourth line. Kerfoot on the fourth line is *tugs collar*

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

lol wtf is this big brained bullshit.

It doesn't look like a line setup you expect to last, does it?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The East is so lopsided. Six legit good teams and the rest of the conference sucks. I feel like whoever makes it to the top of the poo poo heap for the wildcards is just going to get run over by Boston and Carolina.

This is prime territory for one or both of Boston and Carolina to get swept.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I thought about that too. Everyone remembers the Blue Jackets doing that to the Lightning, but the Blue Jackets were a 98 point team. They were underdogs for sure, but not bad. The wild card teams this year are legit bad. There's a bigger gap between Boston and the Islanders than there is between the Islanders and the last place Blackhawks.

Islanders in three.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1628896067247828993?s=20

lol gently caress off MacLellan that's the best you could get for probably the best rental D on the market?

I am distraught. Helping out the Bruins like this is immoral.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

I’ve said this before but looking back at the Leafs/CBJ play-in roster and what’s become of most of the depth on that team I feel like I… get the result a bit more? Once Muzzin’s spine got pulped the d corps was awful, and 5 of the forwards played will be in the AHL now if Kappy makes it through. Mikheyev was still learning how to use his slashed wrist again and rookie Engvall was even floatier than he is today. That was a real flawed group relative to where they’re at now.

Yeah it kinda gets lost that the Leafs and Jackets had just about the same record that year. There was definitely a sense the Leafs should be better but the team wasn't really all that good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Back when I was still attempting to post on PPP I floated the idea a few times that maybe the reason the Leafs underperformed every year was because they weren’t as good as people thought they were, and if that’s the case then at least some of the players on the roster must worse than people thought as well.

It was roundly decided that no, there wasn’t anything wrong with the roster construction or decisions made getting them there and the Leafs must simply be cursed or whatever

I mean they are cursed that part is undeniable.

That team was weird all around. We spent the whole year waiting for them to figure it out and get in gear. Then Babcock was fired and the vibes changed but the results didn't really.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

stab posted:

Who is gurianov and why should i care

He's the last truly off the board high(ish) first round pick and his play has justified where he was ranked more than where he was picked.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

I wish I could forget about Tyler Boucher 10th overall 2021, ranked in the mid-40’s to 50’s

May he have as much success.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

If Jeannot is anything like he was last year moving forward then that's a good deal. His disappointing season means he'll probably sign relatively cheaply and has a chance to have his production exceed his value. It's a high risk move, but generally Brisebois gets it. What does a team like Tampa need draft picks for? They'll recoup a lot of them when their window closes and they start selling.

Yeah if it turns out he really is a true talent 20 percent shooter it'll be great for Tampa.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

All the trades happening before the deadline is so good. I wonder what those guys are gonna talk about for 10 hours on TV this Friday.

That's always the real attraction of trade deadline day. It's a general celebration of not working, the stuff you do to pass the time when you're forced to be at the office despite nothing to do.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Since this is a trade I'm a fan of it.

e:

Koopa Kid posted:

Alexander Kerfoot should be counting his days as a Leaf, imo, but that's a personal wish as Keefe and Dubas seem to think there's value paying a mid-at-everything guy $3.5M to sit around waiting for an injury to another C

A couple days ago I think it was Weekes mentioning that Kerfoot to Vancouver might be a thing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs fans are also extremely upset online

I really do think that this was precipitated by Sandin’s camp, he basically demanded top-4 minutes in the off-season and it’s clear Keefe wasn’t going to give them to him any time soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Connor Timmins whipping rear end on the third pairing also played a role. If you want a third pairing killer, you've got Timmins. If you want someone who can play up the lineup, Sandin isn't clearly an option either. The Leafs didn't obviously downgrade their roster and got the 27th-32nd pick in the process.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

HE'S BACK BABY

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1630685025984290821?s=20

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So they gave Vancouver a 2023 3rd for Schenn, and got a 2024 3rd from NYI for Engvall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Another Leafs move that doesn't really move the needle at all. I don't understand their rationale at all.

The Sandin, Schenn and Engvall moves in aggregate certainly suggest another thing's coming. As Koopa Kid posted upthread, they have like 10 defenceman on the roster right now.