Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The death of Funky Winkerbean was such a self-congratulatory nothing, but it's a shame one of the most consistently infuriating strips has been removed from the rotation.

As always, Dustin Burn in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Raisin Bran has more sugar than pretty much anything with marshmallows.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm extremely irritated that this is basically the only time we've ever seen Ed express a sincere, spontaneous interest in physical fitness and his wife is making GBS threads all over him because she believes, simultaneously, that pole vaulting is disproportionately dangerous compared to other physical activities and also that it's a dumb sport for babies.

I'm of two minds here. It would be irresponsible for a man in his early-to-mid 50's to go from "completely sedentary" to "extremely intensive physical activity" on a whim.

But also:

His wife's response is "For even entertaining that idea I will divorce you" because Dustin isn't just written like a sitcom, it's written like a bad sitcom with an icy, dark heart.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

manero posted:

Somehow, Crankshaft is even more boring

Green Intern posted:

The last couple of Crankshaft strips have been these two blankly staring at the football broadcast in abject boredom. I have never felt so seen by a comic strip and I hate that it's one of Batiuk's.

I mentioned it in the last thread but something I really hate about Crankshaft is that there's a streak of "Only My Sports Fandom is Pure" running through it that rears its head from time to time. We're getting a whole week of it here with these two schlubs watching a football game where every gag is "Too many penalties! Too much tech! Remember when they just let the boys get out there and PLAY?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doomykins posted:

There's A LOT of Archie so I'm sure there's a bunch of Jughead stories and inconsistencies and filler stories of Jughead having a girlfriend or trying to get a date but they tried to make him canon asexual recently, looking it up it didn't stick?? Maybe??? But honestly to me canon Jughead is this unflappable guy who doesn't give a drat about tail of any kind and isn't even proud of it, just a humble dude loving life and burgs.

When Archie Comics launched the "New Riverdale" lineup of titles in 2015, Chip Zdarsky made him a declared asexual in that universe...but it launched around a year before Riverdale debuted, the show where everybody fucks. I believe his asexuality still holds true for that comic line, but the TV show's visibility and success kind of sidelined the idea of making that a broader canonical truth about the character.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Perhaps the most beloved annual tradition of Curtis: The Kwanzaa story kind of petering out to a "Wha...huh?" moral that doesn't line up with anything we just read over the last two weeks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

Some folks calls it a kaiser blade.

Tomorrow: I reckon Ed Kudlick has a heart attack after a big meal o' them French Fried po-taters and some biscuits 'n mustard, mm-hmm.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Take your wistful, sentimental, "meaningful" C&H strips, for my money this is the one that most nails what it's like to be a kid. Being unable to process excitement to the point where all you know to do is piss.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Can we really enjoy Crankshaft anymore, knowing that The Burnings are coming in the future of this universe?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I get that they're just doing visual shorthand for the gag, but the story of Adam and Eve really isn't substantial enough to support a book of that size.

Oh I hate this

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Spider-Man? I dunno I'm struggling to make the Turn Off the Dark gag work here. I thought I had something but no.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

18 Riverdale students were killed today following a single-vehicle rollover crash.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Jan 29, 1954)

Good Ol' Charlie Brown :)

EasyEW posted:

HE HELD OUT FOR TWO. WHOLE. WEEKS.

It's twice the inanity, now confined to a single three-panel strip!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ah yes..."Fattening Pills"

(Thank goodness they dissolve in liquid.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I don't know why, but this one got me good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Darthemed posted:

Jumping over a batch of reruns from 2004 and 2002 brings us to February 6 & 7, 2006, in Docks.

Hey, they're talking about their own TV show! The brief window when the show and comic overlapped.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...you could play Magic and vape!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/22-24/40

Mercury Hat posted:

I've read every one of these strips and have decided Scarlet was born with superhuman abilities and the invisibility was just a conceit for her to use them in public. Look at her catch that falling boy with her leg!

I want a Mythbusters episode covering all the stuff we've seen Scarlet doing. Catching a kid on a cane with her leg, stopping a pro ball player from swinging a bat, etc. I have to imagine it would just ruin a ballistics gel dummy.

Also, let's appreciate that there was an open quarry within walking distance of the blind boy's house, which is just seconds away from the lagoon. The geography of this town is downright Springfieldian.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Look at the pure joy on Scarlet's face as she kicks the living poo poo out of a child. We should all have the opportunity to be so happy in life.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

But first, I wanted to call out this panel from yesterday:

Bob Montana's alma mater, Haverhill High School, also has a "Thinker" statue out front -- although theirs is copied from Michelangelo, not Rodin.

Haverhill High School, also the alma mater of Rob Zombie and Seth Romatelli

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Bonus News Story! Further proof that horny teenagers have always been stupid.

I wish that the reporter had interrogated his initial plan of being shot three times. Why didn't he think a single bullet wound, or even two, would be enough?

Also, he presaged some great prestige TV.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A great spin on the classic "FORECASTER SAID THE WORD 'SNOW' WE GOTTA GET BREAD AND MILK" panic mentality of the Southern US.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

So Will Henry is doing a thing;

I was tempted to entry this contest as I was pretty sure I could find all the images, if only by searching through last years thread, but I felt that I'm on the wrong side of 30 to enter and it would be best to leave it to kids and/or their parents.

Very cool! Our local paper had a Garfield Scavenger Hunt when I was a kid (This paper was so small it only had two comics, Peanuts and Garfield.) Find the hidden Garfield in the paper every day for a month, send in the answers and hope. I wound up winning second place and scoring a Garfield Aquarium, which was cooler - and seemingly more expensive - than the first place prize (The classic Garfield phone, the one that opens and closes its eyes and constantly washes up on French beaches.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PREVIOUS PLAN: Raise a blind boy for 6-7 years to eventually swindle him for $40,000
NEW PLAN: Cripple that blind boy (the money is now an afterthought)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Um Bread

End of chapter 1! I have no idea where this comic is going!

I keep thinking about how miserable the Big Bread's life must have been if all it took was Um Bread sharing a little porridge with him to convince him "Well, that does it. I'm going to kill that Dr. Birb at the cost of my own life."

Soon:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

Finally here's Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 in which Glenn hears about Nero's "side hustle"

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Ohhhhhhhh, now we know for sure: Nero's a right git.

quote:

Can you start a K-Pop band if your not from South Korea? I'm seriously asking.

I wouldn't!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I saw the classic Black Ball Bomb and cackled

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 08, 2001)

por favor senor NO

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MyronMulch posted:

For reference, I grew up in suburban Pennsylvania in the early 70's adjacent to areas that later became chud epicenters, and -- big surprise -- we had to give valentine's cards to everyone back in 1972, so this notion of "they are now making us do <whatever> in 2023 not like the old days" can go gently caress right off. I was there in the old days, it was exactly the same.

I skimmed past Dustin until I saw Huxley's post. Similarly, I spent most of my elementary school years attending a tiny-rear end, extremely rural school, and "Everybody gives everybody else a Valentine" was the standard in my class. This was THIRTY gosh-darn YEARS AGO at a school where some of my teachers had no issue routinely introducing BIBLE STORIES into our lessons plans. Kelley is bitching about poo poo that was already the norm in the heart of MAGA Country when Operation Desert Storm was being cheered on the nightly news.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is pure body horror and I'm amazed Holbrook has yet to pick up on it.

holbrook.txt

Weembles posted:

It works a lot better when you've been reading his stuff since the beginning. The characters were introduced in waves and a reader had plenty of time to get used to them before a new wave was introduced.

But he's been publishing since '98 and has memory holed a lot of his earlier work, so I can see how it can be frustrating to try to figure it all out.

Yeah, I've read basically everything JA has published online, save for Original Bobbins (I also haven't read Giant Days,) and I have no issue with his recent stories being kind of loose. I like spending time in his just-whimsical-enough world and letting the characters ping-pong off of one another. Bad Machinery was kind of an outlier in having a central focus and consistent length for the storylines; back in the Scary-Go-Round days plots just ambled wherever and character focus shifted back and forth constantly as he favored writing for one character or another.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Holy poo poo that spoilered comic.

I mean I assumed racist like Out Our Way not....that.

Highlighting the use of child slavery to harvest cocoa, but in a way that reduces said children to anonymous, identical, insensitive caricatures. Sometimes you can make a good point* in a bad way.

(*There's also no real take on the whole practice, so it's not that good of a point.)

Mister Olympus posted:

what was osama bin laden's fursona

tell us, holbrook

I assume that Holbrook operates within the Brian Jacques/Redwall dictum, so...some kind of rodent, possibly a stoat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay now it's dumb.

Strong disagree; the whole "Kevin made a mind helmet" angle was wearing on me, but the second that he started demonstrating telepathy it all swung back around to "This is great." Enough rakes have been stepped on for the gag to work again, and I'm eager to see where this goes now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm in this image and I don't like it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kidcoelacanth posted:

to me the real question is why this didn't happen years ago, he's been vile for half a decade at least

Murdstone posted:

Yes, but your average newspaper reader didn't know that.

To confirm, I was visiting family over the weekend and flipped through the paper at my grandmother's to see what was on her local comics page these days (Which was, surprisingly, a ton of strips that I'd never even heard of because they aren't posted in this thread, but also Crabgrass :toot: ) My uncle said "I heard the Dilbert guy's in hot water, huh? That kinda came outta nowhere" and only my brother and I were able to say "No, he's been like this for a while, but to this point he wasn't being openly hateful enough to make headlines."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

..."social media" and "write a biography for my website" have dick-all to do with one another!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft settles into its new place as Funky Lite by streaking back to comic books as quickly as possible.

Finally: A strong, talented and successful man can do the job that a woman repeatedly fails to accomplish. Funky is BACK, baby!

Get hit by a truck.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kidcoelacanth posted:

my mark trail hot take is that i think the bloodthirst that this thread has over a mediocre legacy comic author is way more annoying than the comic itself

This is the hottest take, and also the most correct one. The strip ranges from "heh, kinda clever" to "whatever" for me, Rivera's linework might be sloppy and struggle with size and perspective but it never enters the "What the hell is wrong with the person writing this" territory that all 3 of Holbrook's strips do on a daily basis.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Bruceski posted:

Ah, the person who becomes a vet because it means they get to play with animals all day. I'm sure something will make me hate this guy later, but that's a classic.

"...I signed up to put down 10 animals a week, minimum! To satisfy my Dark Passenger!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/5/41

Look who's working Sundays now!

Scarlet taking a big swing with that "Hey, Fatso!" crack.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Leo Karpatze?!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

In high school, I hopped on the trunk of a friend's car and insisted that she drive me to my car on the other side of the parking lot. I immediately realized what a terrible mistake I had made; it was nearly impossible to stay seated on the flat, slippery trunk lid, and even though she hit maybe 15 MPH tops I was convinced that I was going to go flying at any moment and break like 20 bones in the process. If only I could've awkwardly wedged my legs between the bumper and the car body, then steadied myself with a loose handhold on the tail light. Look at how effective that is for Scarlet, even her hat remains firmly in place!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

That second panel:

:smug: "Hey listen to this Laffy Taffy-rear end pun I came up with"
"Wow, that's so clever it makes ME self-satisified just hearing it" :smug:
:smug: "I'm also here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Mar 23, 1954)

Only registered members can see post attachments!