Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've got small girl hands with short fingers and I find the Deck very easy to hold and play. It sits much more easily in the hands than the Switch and there's no discomfort about reaching any buttons or anything. I was honestly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I've spent many years joking about how I have gaming ADHD as I often just bounce rapidly between games without finishing any of them.

Turns out no, I probably have actual ADHD, been through a few rounds of assessments now with a big one this morning, and now have a final appointment booked end of March for a final diagnosis and treatment plan.
Feeling some very mixed feelings about finding this out at age 36 and my brain is trying to cope with it by going "hey, well, maybe you'll finish more games now".

Hello! I was a bit older than you at diagnosis. Two years later I'm still figuring out everything it means for me. It's complicated and it's okay to feel any way at all about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can't believe I missed another chance to go on about how Lego DC Super Villains is fantastic and fun and you get to zoom around and break stuff. It's my favourite.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's so good. You create your own character and go through a fun silly story where the real Justice League have been replaced by fakes and the villains all team up to fix it because they have standards, god drat it. You can be Reverse Flash and zoom around at top speed and break everything. The game has adorable Lego Gotham and Lego Metropolis and even Lego Smallville. And after a certain point you can create characters freely and use those in free roam.

My player character was the BLU Medic from TF2.

e: Here he is about to destroy Fake Superman

Here is a cutscene where every time the camera angle changed, Reverse Flash zipped into the shot and sat there looking thoughtful

I love Martin from the DC TV shows so I made him, here's the selfie mode

ee: gently caress it I'm gonna install it and play it some more

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What do you DO in those games?

Puzzle solving mostly. You get abilities that vary from character to character to enable you to move things or break things or find things. There's a free roam where you tear around and can do little sidequests. There are always a load of collectibles and stuff tucked away. Sometimes you have to go replay a stage with a different character to get something that's behind a steel wall or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Final fantasy 14 is a p good single player mmo from what I hear

It's the best of both worlds. You can interact with other people if you want and the atmosphere is pretty decent most of the time but you can ignore them if you want too. I love playing solo but in MMOs just because I enjoy seeing other people running around, but would rather not have to actually do things with them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sometimes I say 'gl' even when I don't want the other person to have good luck. When I want the luck to be mine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gorgeous cat!

So I realise I am a bit late to the party but Breath of the Wild is quite good isn't it, I'm having a nice time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most games have sons and daughters

Tails is NOT Sonic's son

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I finally got one of the creepy stone statue masks in Elden Ring. livin the life

hey Metis

hey

why the long face

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i feel bad but i think hitman is kinda fun? i keep thinkin maybe i got it figured out and had my fill but then want to play again the next night

You can't just come in here and enjoy a game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

my computer broke which busted me out of my dwarf fortress addiction, so I've been playing tunic

pretty good imo

If you want the DF gangtag in memory of your expired computer, let me know

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think it looks pretty nice. CG animation is getting better now it's embracing some of the expressive techniques of traditional animation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is there a word for when you're really in tune with a game and you begin to feel like the thing you're controlling is a part of you? Or that you are the thing altogether. It can be whatever, a super hero or a car.

I like watching people play Mario games for the opposite of this - when people gently caress up a jump they don't get frustrated that *they* hosed it up, they get cross with Mario. "Mario! Why!"

Not sure if Luigi also gets blamed for errors.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vermain posted:

good loving riddance for them mishandling 4E so poorly

:hai:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just listened to a podcast where two guys were trying to work out which factions you could price out a full 2000 point Warhammer 40k army for less than five hundred bucks and they could only find four. So I'm glad I got into Warhammer only through the twin lenses of videogames, and painting models with no inclination to actually play tabletop with them.

Just glued together a rat ogre. Skaven forever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LegalEagle is a fairly fun youtube lawyer guy who has just put out a video about the D&D thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQJQYqhAgY

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Okay I'm going to call that a wrap on Vampire Survivors! Very fun game and honestly the kind I could keep on playing forever if it did not cause me immense eyestrain.

So far in 2023 I have completed:

- Citizen Sleeper
- Vampire Survivors

Up Next: Batora: Lost Haven!

Nice! Did you have a favourite character or favourite weapon?

Funnily enough VS doesn't cause me eye problems at all despite my eyesight being catastrophically bad. Maybe that's why.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Heard there were some rich people in here, pretty hosed up imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Looper posted:

so far my experience has been i think doing a lot of stuff that isn't what I'm "supposed" to be doing but I'm still having a good time

It's okay, that's actually what you're supposed to be doing

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I've been playing some Bully. I thought I'd played this game before but I must have just sporadically watched an LP or something because I don't remember 95% of this poo poo.

It's a lot of fun and has the best writing I've seen out of a Rockstar game. Tons of little scripted moments that take me by surprise. Like a bunch of kids standing around the school's entry hall watching a firework go off, only to all be blown on their asses when it explodes. Or a nerd screaming "WELCOME TO THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN!" before stealing my date's textbook and flinging it at her.

I also love how exaggerated the conflicts between the cliques are, every day getting to classes is like wading through a fight club until everyone sprints for class right before the bell.

Can't wait to play more. Bully 2?

Was it easy to get working properly?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I didn't have any issues.

Probably best to play with a controller though bc there's a lockpicking minigame where you have to do circles with the joystick.

There's something very appealing about a game where the seasons change. It's mid fall so I'm currently rocking a sweater and slacks combo. But I'm stocked up on warm clothes for the winter.

Nice! I love Jimmy, what a little poo poo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

any day where a thread shows me Wentworth Miller is a good day, thank you thread

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

who the gently caress is POSTING in here

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I trusted you

I thought we were friends

and now I find you are posting

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

You don't want me posting, I'll just talk about board games and music videos I think are cool

Oh no, don't. That would make me, a mod, really mad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

YOU FELL FOR MY CUNNING RUSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ktB4wQe-M

I read a very cool article about updating an old board game Quo Vadis with a new coat of paint to make Zoo Vadis
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/140765/publisher-diary-reiner-knizias-zoo-vadis-or-how-br

And one of my fav board game crews, No Rolls Barred put out a video of it this morning which imma watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVM1pkQRmw

Why you!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Also if you like Mafia/Werewolf/Traitor games they do a series for Blood on the Clocktower

Oo thank you.

One time we played Resistance and I was the assassin all four times and my sister got increasingly outraged because she believed that I wasn't every time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Irrespective of Forspoken this is the kind of thing that generally drives me up the wall about the jokey MCU style of writing. It projects a deep insecurity that people will naturally find an emotional connection to the product, and so attempts to cut them off at the pass by constantly lampshading itself, which only comes off as more insecure. Some people apparently hate the idea of jokes themselves, but it goes much deeper than that, I think. Fourth wall breaks are inherently lame to me because they're what you do when you're not confident that people will willingly suspend their disbelief and emotionally engage with your story and characters.

This kind of 'haha, the thing we're doing is stupid, right?' bullshit that ruins everything Steven Moffat touches.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I think more games should be like FFX-2 where last night in an attempt to save the land of Spira I put on a pop concert. It was magnificent!

In Space Rangers 2 I took a moment out of saving the galaxy to put on a pop concert. Also I ran a ski resort for a while!

Love that game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Space Rangers 2 is a delight

I doomed the galaxy by forming a pirate rump state too weak to win but strong enough to keep the organic races from beating the robots lmao

I've done that before but never on purpose lol

I do kinda miss the old translation. The Dominators are attacking all over the space!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

If you go against the social mores of an entire world you are evil.

This is a problem of definitions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Let's say you're playing a game with an inventory system. You pick up a key. You walk to a locked door.
Do you want the game to automatically pull out the key and unlock the door? Or do you want to go manually into your inventory and select the Use option on the key?

I think that depends on the game itself. If it's a puzzle game, then probably the second one. If any other kind of game, I want the door to just open.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

verbal enema posted:

just hosed up some lil goblin dudes on the beach ftw

punch the weird beak octopus thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I do really enjoy the thing the Souls games have, and a few others, where the game looks all grimdark and serious and intense, and rapidly develops into 'a man dressed as a clown invaded my world, threw rainbow stones everywhere, disco danced for ten minutes, then gave me a sword and vanished'.