Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bone emulator posted:

The new Fire Emblem might be good, right?

Probably, I’m still waiting for more previews/reviews to preorder but it looks like it’s not as complex as Fates/3H (which is good imho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

I don’t hunger for 60fps bloodborne. Both Sekiro and Elden Ring have outdone it, I don’t need to play it anymore

Sekiro has one weapon and Elden Ring makes you use an Ash of War just for a parry that doesn’t blow chunks?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they finally nerfed everything that was OP at launch with the nerf to rot breath/Flame of the Redmanes. RIP janky imbalanced mechanics, it was fun cheesing the game while you lasted, time to just cheese the game normally with the magic sword made of literal death. God Elden Ring owns, so many toys to play with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So do Pokémon naturally evolve as they get older, or is that family forcing their Pokémon into battles

There’s wild azumarill (level 18 evo) just vibing on the overworld along with little groups of marill in level 50 zones so it probably could go either way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chev posted:

Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 year of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

Condolences.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started playing Tunic, it’s real cute and a neat take on the Zelda 1 formula of dicking around a hostile mostly empty world combined with the whole strategy guide gimmick. Kinda wish the combat was more fluid since it’s trying to also homage Dark Souls but there’s accessibility options for invincibility and death seems pretty meaningless anyway so it’s not the end of the world.

im like 85% sure the stick is gonna have some cool secondary usage once I hit a certain point and unlock the instruction manual page for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bone emulator posted:

Xenoblade 3 has the worst kind of RPG shoopkeeper, the ones that gives you poo poo if you don't buy anything. It's not my fault their inventory is bad :(

I learned to ignore all of that NPC griping after Patches started calling me out for it, after trying to murder me, then stealing my new friend’s amulet, and convincing me to go get trapped in the volcano dungeon basement, and in another playthrough kicking me off a cliff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I beat the sword lady in Elden Ring, I belive that makes me a “pro gamer” now. :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Play station five is actually up to 13 games. Check it out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games

What a lineup OP

Man, Covid really hosed up their plans huh, this is definitely when you’d normally see bit GOTY blockbusters like God of Dad Ragnarok be PS5 exclusive for some kind of selling point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Would you all like to hear a story about how I beat a miniboss in Elden Ring?

In Raya Lucaria, there's a really strong knight guarding the lift to fight the main boss of the area. I absolutely could not beat him in a fight, so I decided I would run past him and get on the lift and that would be fine, right? Except he got on the lift too, and immediately killed me. EXCEPT! Somehow the lift then killed him too, which meant I got his shield drop right after the YOU DIED screen, and then when I returned to the lift he was no longer there. Extreme gaming power.

Anyway I'm really enjoying Elden Ring. I've never played a souls game before except for half an hour trying out Dark Souls 3 and dying to the first boss a lot then giving up.

Souls games are all about “we take those kinds of wins”, you’re getting into the swing of things perfectly. Hope you continue to have fun with Elden Ring and then hopefully the other Souls games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tunic: I beat the Frog Zone, and I thought the game had just been having frog guys hook shot me to annoy the hell out of me when they dragged me into a gank squad, not because my own Orb of Hookshooting *also* lets me do that and they wanted me to realize how useful it was.

Now I wonder how early on I could have gotten this. I think this is the first item I’ve found the entire game that actively serves to gate progression besides the sword (although the other stuff you find makes life much easier like the shield and magic staff), i noped out on the beach when I first stumbled on it because the giant birds/fairies seemed like a real bad time without a shield/staff but I guess if you’re good enough you can just beeline the Frog Zone/Hookshot Orb ASAP.

Also, question: if there are hidden properties with items that I can’t easily infer like how the dodge roll is also the dash button, or that you upgrade stats by using gold when you’re in front of a bonfire does the game eventually use manual pages to hint them all to you? I’m guessing “yes” but I just wanna make sure, I feel like the stick definitely has some fringe use since it’s still in my inventory instead of having been replaced outright with the sword, but I just wanna make sure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I successfully finished a three houses run. .. can't believe you're intended to play through the game multiple times, I took what turned out to be the shortest route and it was still like 60 hours.

Iirc this literally wasn’t the intent, the devs just expected people to do one route and talk to people who did the others instead of playing it themselves. Still kinda silly that they’d make a story where only some stuff gets context depending on the route but it was made with a lot of Dynasty/[insert franchise here] Warriors people so I guess they set their expectations low for themselves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

The side quests are where all the good character moments are. Play them all unless it’s really annoying like that parade one

Yeah, the sidequests are basically where all the good dialogue is and most feel relevant in the sense that you learn more about the world in some way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

in previous souls playthroughs i've always gone with physical builds so it's kind of exciting to be focusing more on magic this time

I’m wrapping up a faith run and it’s sick as hell, you get so many different options for like no reason, like the laser eye sniper spell, the “turn into a dragon and inflict toxic” one, and my personal fave, “make a sword out of the literal concept of death and do a sonic boom with it”. Winged Scythe is clutch as hell and I think one of the best faith scaling options in the game too, or at least it sure seemed that way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tunic, big spoilers: i got the three medallions, just like in Zelda (they’re even colored the same!) and freed the ghost fox lady who’s been reviving me the whole game when I died…who then turned around and killed me, which left me as a ghost, which kinda loving sucks since being incorporeal means my upgrades are gone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

haveblue posted:

I would totally wear the clownsuit but I did get annoyed that my highest power head slot item was a face mask that hid Jack's scars and grimaces and probably would have made the bit where the princess points out the small cut on his jaw make even less sense

I just used the menu option to keep helmets from showing up in cutscenes, there’s some real dapper ones for sure but even some of the less obtrusive ones like the red mage hat can still mess things up depending on the angle of the shot.

Anyway, SoP was great imo but I wish they just let you get minute bonuses by leveling jobs instead of through loot so there’s more of an incentive to get out of your comfort zone like Final Fantasy V/Tactics.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I didn't know what people were talking about. I typically don't give a poo poo about post-credits content because "there's more after the credits" usually means, like, a couple extra dungeons. Not whole new plot routes.

To just be specific instead of vague posting without actually going over plot stuff in specifics: Route B is basically Nier Automata: Director’s Cut, you play as 9S which means some new stuff in the instances where he and 2B are separated, and more side quests that his hacking gimmick opens up on top of being able to do the ones you weren’t leveled enough for before. Also, it addresses the thing you didn’t care for with bosses since every single one gets at least a little info dump/interlude of their deal, and has a lot of new plot stuff in general towards the end of his campaign.

Route C/D/E is just straight up the second half of the game that continues on from the finale of what you recently finished, called C/D/E because it culminates in a choice of how you go about the final boss, and a third choice after doing C/D, so it’s not three playthroughs since the chapter select unlocked after a clear just lets you skip to the C/D decision.

Hope that’s helpful. :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Disagree on Lorenz but otherwise a good list.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Studio Trigger can do no wrong.

Soundtrack rules
https://vimeo.com/635224293

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5qwkYE_Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXCdc5XbTY

They name the robot that turns up towards the end of the movie to save the day Deus X Machina :allears:

Kill La Kill and Luluco were mid IMO, but otoh they made inferno cop and Cyberpunk so I guess they still own overall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont think Balan Wonderland was an AAA game lol

I don’t think it was but it definitely had the pedigree of a top tier game regardless, at least on a surface level. God, what the gently caress happened to that game? How could literally any game dev ever be so bad at making games with the jank Balan had?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Might just go ahead and snap my Nier disc in half and stomp it to bits. Last night I ended at the start of story C, where you have to hack the transmitting machines. Tonight I started up again, got to the part with the virus, went back to the bunker, went back down to earth, was playing the part where 2B is infected and has to make her way to a place with no androids. During one of her limping phases where you can't dodge she got punched down into the very bottom of the pit. So then I had to wait for the limping phase to end so I could climb up the ladder and then get across that crater area that was full of robots. Except, 2B is limping so she's not faster than the robots. And the infection got to the point where she never leaves the limping phase. So when I get to the part where I can climb out, I can't anymore because she can't jump. And then she gets stunlocked by a series of robots and dies.

And now, I have to start all over again at the part where you have to hack the transmitting machines. The loving credits played, I went through a SHMUP section, and the game specifically told me not to touch the saving machines. And yet, no restart point like they do in boss fights.

I am extremely loving unhappy right now.

Take the long way around next time and give the pit a wide berth, the virus mostly gets worse by intervals as you get closer to the goal so you have like twenty minutes iirc. Still not a great part of the game in practice tho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It took since May 18, 2015, but I have finally completed everything there is to do in Witcher 3.

Congrats, legitimately could never imagine doing that myself. If only because “everything” includes the Skellege coastline treasure hunt, but still. Man, I should replay W3 when I burn through my backlog. Is it only the current gen versions that included that new stuff?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

My favourite thing about souls combat is how deliberate it is. The slower pace isn’t a detriment to me.

I wish Souls combat could actually stick to one or the other tbh, like Bloodborne is sick because it’s a game where you just (at least when everything works as intended) kill and kill and kill some more because enemies drop heals and get forced to be aggressive because your baseline defensive option is “quickroll/sidestep motherfucker” but DS3 enemies are basically the same but you don’t have rallies, guaranteed quickrolls, or more than four HP refills at base.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

It's almost like they're comparing two different games to show how one of them is flawed because the systems within it don't compliment each other.

Yeah, not sure how Gripweed missed this, thanks for succinctly summarizing it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you're describing a preference, not a problem with the game, lil bro

I kinda thought “enemies attack like it’s BB but you’re still in DS1” was a pretty common DS3 complaint…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the reason why most off-brand Souls clones are lame is because all those developers hear is "difficult and disorienting world" and think new players will have the same tolerance for theirs as From fans who have religiously bought every game on Day 1 for over a decade. Souls games are difficult at first, but it's like 60% knowledge 20% execution 20% having the right stats/items, which is mostly just game knowledge anyway. Most Souls games have a pretty easy start where you don't need to care or know about anything in the world to hack at something and feel good about it. Compare this to the Surge 1 or Mortal Shell which are already trying to communicate complex mechanics and throwing obscure lore at you when you haven't even had the chance to orient yourself in any of the game's systems. Basically if you wanna be a Souls clone and do well, give players an easy W right at the start and don't assume anyone will give a single poo poo about your deep lore. Instead focus on making it look visually appealing. I'd say add big bapped anime babes too but somehow Code Vein was even worse than the Surge.

I really appreciate how Tunic is the only Souls successor that copied the important part of Dark Souls’s vibe: obtuse lore inspired by playing old foreign video games in a language you don’t understand, complete with doing the thing you think you’re supposed to do ending up with you being loving dead

Also I guess Hollow Knight is pretty good at nailing the lowkey hostile vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

In more important Mario news I just made it to Bowser's Kingdom in Odyssey and holy poo poo the little bird guys with poking beaks are amazing. Is this what Sekiro is like?

There’s no cool lava, but yeah pretty close. Idk why Bowser tricked out his castle with a feudal Japan aesthetic but it makes for one hell of a set piece.