Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thank you all!! You're wonderful. It means a lot to hear this much support.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Congratulations comrade!!!! We love and support you!

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support you :)

Just keep being you, while I work on me. I see this as becoming a more complete version of myself - I'll have some new interests and views of the world, but I'm still going to be making GBS threads up the NFCW thread in the name of the Holy Run

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MrLogan posted:

That left turn off International is such a pain in the rear end.

But then you get to take the weird ramp to Chain Bridge and see the Toilet Seat Building, aka HQ for the Office of Foreign Asset Control

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

107.7 The End in Seattle used to have a commercial like this (before they got bought by iHeartRadio and turned into generic dogshit)

two guys listening to great alt rock on their couch and the police find them as skeletons because "dude this song is great too!" and the cops start vibing to Lithium at the end

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I've used a Timbuk2 bag for years and really like it. Slim profile but can hold lots of stuff.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

a sexual elk posted:

Speaking of the PNW, I’m a huge Del Taco fan so when I took a family trip to Seattle I hit a Taco Time thinking it’d be in the same “not Taco Bell” range. Christ that place was janky, half the people in there weren’t wearing shoes

My wife absolutely loves that place, it's like all she eats when she's back there

not to be confused with the Mountain West Taco Time chain, which has the same name but is entirely different

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

swickles posted:

Should I move to Alaska? My wife got offered a job there that pays a ton and has a huge relocation and sign on bonus. I don't know what I would do there though, its on an island that has a clinic, but no need for an anesthesiologist as anything needing that goes to Juneau. Its pretty far south, so the weather isn't that bad (25/38F are low/high average temps in January). I think it might be fun to do for a few years, but we would be really isolated from any family and friends, town is only 8k people, and on an island. While it seems like a cool adventure and could be fun, the uncertainty of me finding a job (unless I could do research remotely) makes it tough, plus I am not sure if it would get old fast being that small.

So, Sitka, I assume. I have family in Juneau and spent two summers there, and I've stopped by Sitka for a few hours on a ferry trip. It's nice! Very pretty. There is fairly easy access to Seattle because Alaska Airlines runs 737s to those towns constantly, especially in summer. But yes, small town island life gets constrained fast. Juneau is technically on the mainland but is cut off by road so it acts like an island, and after a few months even 30,000 people feels small.

Plus the weather can get pretty rotten. One summer I was up there it rained nearly every day. The winters are apparently clearer because the jet stream shifts south, but the equinox storms in the Fall can get really nasty.

Fishing is absolutely top notch, good hiking (watch for bears). But yeah it's not for everyone. I'd visit before signing on to anything long term.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pron on VHS posted:

if you live in the DC area, you owe it to yourself to check out Nasime. The best restaurant. Just do it and thank me later.

Thanks for the rec! I've heard unanimously great things but haven't gone, and it's harder now that I've crossed the river. May be a good spot to take my Dad though, he loves Japanese food.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pron on VHS posted:

cross many rivers Shirts and Skins. Your dad and you will be talking about that meal for years to come. It is a bit pricy, about 90 a person.

There is precedent! The best meal of my life I think was when I took my Dad to a fancy omakase place in Seattle for his 60th.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Shinji2015 posted:

Ranma is a really good series for cracking someone's egg. Lot of trans anime fans watched or read it and went, "wow, what is that Ranma person complaining about? I'd love it if I could turn into the opposite... ohhhhhhhh"

sometimes I feel like the only trans woman on earth who hasn't seen Ranma lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

LeeMajors posted:

Being out from under student loan debt is so freeing, it’s impossible to overstate.

Oh yeah, on that note, I hit my 10 year mark for PSLF in October and I got my student loan discharge letter yesterday. From $81k left to debt free and it feels fantastic. So yeah, this whole forgiveness thing does happen sometimes! Glad the feds kept their promises here.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

LeeMajors posted:

Looking for recommendations on a good coffee grinder. I’m tired of shackling myself to preground roasts (re: I need a steady stream of Ethiopian into my gullet and it’s always whole bean).

Also, most nice roasts are ground a bit too fine for my pour over.

You at the very least are looking for a burr grinder so you can adjust the grain.

The typically recommended gold standard for a home burr grinder is the Baratza Encore. They're spendy though, around $170.

My home setup currently uses an Oxo Brew. It's about $100 and works very well. https://www.oxo.com/conical-burr-coffee-grinder.html

If you don't already have them, I recommend a good waterproof scale that measures in 0.1 gram increments and a good gooseneck kettle. We've used this Bonavita for years and it's outstanding.

https://a.co/d/7HaL1j3

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Is there a decent tax site that isn't turbotax that can do a lot of 1099 forms? I have several just from various banks, spending and mortgage stuff.

I've been using freetaxusa at reddit's recommendation and it seems to be working fine. We had a few 1099s including an NEC and it handled them well. It's free for federal and $15 per state and you don't have to pay extra to itemize.

One piece of advice I got if you're not sure about their calculations is to put everything into TurboTax too so you make sure the numbers more or less even out. After all, you don't have to pay for TurboTax until you file.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
does anyone have gochujang recommendations

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Big Jesus posted:

Our children hit the 10 week-adjusted mark and it’s like a loving switch flipped and now they’re actually sleeping. 11 hours between feeds at night/morning, naps throughout the day. I don’t feel like a zombie for the first time since mid-november.

Isn't it amazing when the light turns on and they look you in the eye? I hear that's the time neurologically we "should" be born, but we come out early so the pelvis can stay small enough to keep us bipedal.

Just be ready for a sleep regression soon, the newborn shushing/swaddling/swaying tricks will stop working as the in-utero reflexes stop, and they'll start noticing more things around them and getting distracted

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
the Seattle Sounders just put out a Bruce Lee themed kit for away games

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kalli posted:

Barney Frank is on the board of that bank.

And supported repealing Frank-Dodd which allowed it to collapse :)

Dodd-Frank hasn't been repealed, and it had nothing to do with SVB's collapse :psyduck:

Like I guess under the original DFA they would have been subjected to a few heightened prudential standards, but honestly the problem was simple mismanagement of interest rate risk

in other news: don't get COVID, it sucks, do not recommend

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Freaquency posted:

Is it any better? The one time I went each room had like 4 items in it and enough text about it to fill a small novel. I went to live out my James Bond fantasies, not too read

e: oh yeah, I also went for free as part of a promo with the Post, and they had a game where you had to find a certain guy who was wandering around the museum. We found him and he was just like “yeah you got me good job”, no high speed pursuit through the streets of DC or anything. They also stiffed us on the gelato they promised us for winning. Absolutely no immersion, 2/10 would not recommend.

depending on when you went, it may well be better because they moved to a new building at L'Enfant Plaza just before the pandemic hit.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Riding out a Category 5 is the sort of thing like 20% of me wants to do and the rest of me finds utterly insane. Glad your structure is holding up well. Here's hoping the storm makes a speedy passage. I'd love to read your thoughts on your experience after it leaves.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Abugadu posted:

Post-typhoon update:

Jesus. Glad you survived, that's an insane thing to live through. What a story you have.

I read a book about Katrina called The Great Deluge that described a major hurricane as sounding like an enormous version of a dentist's air hose - a deafening, roaring, sucking sound outside all the time, with occasional rumbles as a gust comes through. It sounds utterly miserable.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah we'd get day or two long Big Blows in the PNW, basically subtropical cyclones that hit in the fall, and a bad one can hit with consistent tropical storm force winds all day. My apartment in my windy-rear end college town would shake all night from those things. I can't even imagine what a full-blown hurricane is like in comparison. It must feel like the world ending for a full day.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

No Butt Stuff posted:

LG Easyloads. Do not get Samsung under any circumstances.

We have the LG Easyloads as well and love them

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
yeah think of an NFL defense lining their secondary up at the line and the Dolphins hitting them with Tyreek and Waddle verts. The offside rule is just that you can't be behind the last defender when the ball is hit. Time it right and your striker is at full pace when the ball is struck and is through on goal before the defense can catch up.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Also, Happy Pride, TFF! It's a special one for me - the first where I've felt like more than an ally.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
it's time. I'm deleting the bird site Friday. It was fun to watch it break for a while but the "cis is a slur" thing made me say gently caress this guy and now the site is toast anyway. I haven't used it in days and it feels great actually.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Woke up and AQI is 264 from forest fires a county over on the west side. Cool

my parents live in NW Olympia and I'm low-key worried lol O_o

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Having a major life change - in my case coming out as trans - has been a surprisingly effective way to get people back in my life. A lot of my closest friends were women and it's sort of natural to drift away from them while married as a man. Not that my wife was hostile to it, but it was kinda weird to go hang out with them. Now, it's not!

It does take effort to keep old friends in your life, but the ones that I know will always be there for me are the people I can go months or years without seeing and just pick back up like no time passed. If there's someone like that in your life, drop them a line! And if your old friends become distant because your life has changed, then it may be time to build new support networks.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Manoueverable posted:

I would need years of therapy to unravel my constant anxiety about my job and my friendships. And that's not even getting into the abyss of being single in my 30s while 3/4 of the people around me are in committed relationships but have no single friends.

well, years of therapy is kind of like planting a tree. the best time is 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

just a PSA that you can be perfectly happy and well adjusted and benefit from therapy, you don't have to be "bad enough" or "deserve it" somehow. it's never selfish to check in with yourself or get help. it's been great for me and my wife.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Rotten posted:

It’ll be crowded since it’s prime tourist season and school is out, but go check out Mt Rainier if you haven’t seen a volcano up close before. Same with Snoqualmie Falls. Go like midweek before noon if you can. Up the road from the falls is North Bend where a good chunk of Twin Peaks was filmed, also Mt Si is pretty and cool. Also there’s a local elk herd that hangs out usually in the evening in the meadowbrook farm area near north bend. I can give ya more info if you’re interested.

These are good tips. Also, Tacoma has the Museum of Glass, which I hear is quite lovely. Don't go to Starbucks - there is outstanding coffee everywhere. Tacoma used to be pretty rough but it's where a lot of artists have moved. If you brave Rainier you might have some success with the Mowich Lake campground area, there's a lovely trail from there to Eunice Lake and Tolmie Peak where a fire station gives you a gorgeous view of the mountain. My wife also enjoyed going to Crystal Mountain ski area in the summer, where you can get a gondola ticket to the top for some hiking and sightseeing.

If you do go to Seattle there is plenty to do for sure. Don't skimp on the touristy stuff just because it's popular, it's fun. Pike Place Market is a favorite of mine, I'm always sure to head to Mee Sum Pastry for some hom bow. I also love the Uwajimaya market, a Japanese supermarket in the International District. Others have recommended Capital Hill, if you do go I like Elliott Bay Books a lot. One of my favorite bars is up there too, Pine Box. It's in a former funeral home that once handled Bruce Lee's affairs.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yo I may have missed it but are your parents ok?

they're fine! thanks for asking.

hopefully it's not too smoky when I come out to visit next month

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

loving Hollywood and their remakes. Cinema will never top the pocket tater tots scene, I'm sorry

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's a perfect summer night folks. hope you're enjoying things this much wherever you are

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

swickles posted:

Active shooter in the Senate...at least its not a school.

that would be especially stupid of them since it's August and there are no senators there

I stg if this fucks up my commute...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Speaking of back to school

I love you children but get out of my house

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
On anger as a form of grief - it is my belief that anger and sadness come from the same place, and that anger is an externalized manifestation. Because of that, it lets you do something, like break things, or yell, and sometimes people do that as a way of coping. It keeps the sadness away if you can be angry about it.

I did this for many years. I was also outwardly happy, but had a definite anger problem. In fact I was hiding my own hurt at not living the life I wanted to, and my bitterness at the situation would boil over sometimes. It's hard to help someone coping that way because all they want to do is lash out, but I bet that brother is grateful for your presence even if he won't say it right now.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Satan page lining up with the end of daylight savings is appropriate. the kids have been up since 4:45.

on the plus side I got a court order the other day declaring me female with my chosen name, so I've got that going for me, which is nice

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yep, I'm calling my local SSA office Monday to set up an appointment for a new card, and have a DMV appointment on Tuesday.

I haven't been so excited for the DMV since I was 16

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I shrank a bit on hrt and am now 6' and 0.5", and that as a height is *really hard to say* in conversation

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I went from being able to fudge it and say 6' and now I'm pretty solidly 5'10.

hell yeah. although honestly I could take or leave height loss but I'd love for my feet to shrink some more. I'm down a half size but most cute things are so far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I recently reread LOTR for the first time since I was a teenager. They are so freaking good, wow. Tolkien absolutely loved to write about travel through shifting landscapes