Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Woke up this morning and had to go to the emergency vet. It’s over.

Sorry buddy, that poo poo ain't ever easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JPrime posted:

this has real "trump will never win republicans won't nominate him" in 2015 vibes, no offense

He just said it would be resolved, he didn't say they wouldn't agree Boebert was going to end up as speaker or MTG in a backstabbing that would actually impress me a little if we're imagining apocalyptic scenarios.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

No they are feuding over the Speaker vote that is being discussed. MTG is a McCarthy supporter

Yeah she cut a deal with the...maybe very slightly more sane R guy (????) than whoever else they will choose as far as I can tell, not that it'd be any good.

Although I will say I read this post in the 1950's McCarthy sense for a second and it still made sense with her.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

*forearm bash into fist bump*

Congrats on being you!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I do not remember the star star star hard R thread. Was that in TFF? If so - why?

SAS. NASCAR was the 'joke.' Happened right after some ugly stuff in the sport.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know I should be asking this in SH/SC but I'm old & going to other subforums scares me, so Jeremy my issue:

Got a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8gb RAM, (upgraded to a) 1TB SSD, running Big Sur (the furthest it can update due to age). I normally run Google Chrome but lately it keeps crashing.

Uh… :confused:
I don't have that much RAM so what is going on?

I'm of no actual help here other than to say maybe learn to love Safari, since that seems to work much better on Macs from my very brief googling things (don't trust me, I don't know). But I do like to think the bookmark for SA Smilies is screwing everything up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just finished my national registry written testing for medic and I think I'm going to either throw up or break my F5 key waiting for the results. Probably both.

Luck, friend. You're gonna be fine I'm sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I got an instant pot for Christmas.

Give me some weeknight instant pot things I can do because I really need to stop going out to eat

There are so many fancy things to do but make dry beans in like an hour or make rice really quick or do things with veggies is what I mainly use it for after having one for a while.

Which sounds boring but is very convenient.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
These people are going to have a big problem with Shakespeare's career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Late but happy birthday to like everyone except me apparently!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Drug trafficking at Ft. Bragg May have been going on for quite some time, if you want to believe Timothy McVeigh.

I mean if there's one trustworthy source in the world it's Timothy McVeigh. He never got anything wrong.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm glad that my relationship to wrestling is looking up old wrestlers on wiki now and then when something reminds me of them (and mainly discovering that they're dead it seems), otherwise I'd have to angry about this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Freaquency posted:

I am sure that a rule that looks to ban gas stove starts with new construction and renovations, and would probably focus on multi tenant properties at first. They aren’t going to tell 330 million people to all go out and buy a new stove at once.

Yeah no one is coming to steal your stove or tear up your house making an electric stove work, that's just manufactured outrage. This is more of a 'well by 2050 we hope most stoves will be electric and we won't be producing more of these for in-home cooking' type of thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

You still have a working Sears? I think even in Chicago they're all gone, and we're the hometown of Sears. Only thing I can find are Sears Appliance Repair places.

Related to Sears downfall, looking it up KMart still has three stores open in the continental United States and nine stores total.

Which is 9 more stores than I expected.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

e. K-Mart is owned by Sears now, they merged (one of the first things Lampert did as CEO, I think).

Yeah they're totally the same thing going on there with being eaten alive by the same venture capitalists and poor decisions previously. Er, I mean the exact same ones, not the other ones doing away with Toys R Us or whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The one near me (where my dad worked for several years selling appliances) has been turned into apartments and condos, with most of the first floor becoming a DeVry University, and some indoor parking.

Huh, speaking about things I'm somewhat surprised to find are still around.

The DeVry that was sort of by me is now a federal FEMA office apparently looking it up. I didn't pay any attention but apparently that's why there's gates to get in and security now that I noticed driving past.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

I am really chuckling and laughing out loud at this one

Dude really took that old argument about how many days there are in a week and went full throttle with it, I respect that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

It's Chicago. They need to stop being dicks about everything. It's miserable in Chicago most of the time. Hell they love to scream at people for saying they live in Chicago depending how many minutes it takes to drive to the lake.

Everything about Chicago makes Chicagoans angry, even what to call the freeways

You live in LA and work in the film industry right? I feel as though you should be passingly familiar with people making instant judgment on you for superficial reasons.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Not trying to bring back Waffle House chat but

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Good for him. He deserves some Waffle House.

Shinji2015 posted:

It's very much something a Clemson kid would do, going by all the Clemson people I've met

I mean this is the absolute closest I can ever come to relating to the golden boy QB who had everything in the world handed to him because he was very good at a sport.

We're all the same at Waffle House.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

We are also all the same when botflies lay eggs in our sinuses.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wrath of Khan is the best St ar War

I very much hope you have not spoken into existence some producer reading this and deciding a melding of these universes is the way to go.

Or maybe I do, burn it all down gloriously. You'd definitely end up with some funky shows going on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm a fan of 'can you throw away body parts?'

Second place is Hacksaw: good for dismembering or no?

e: also a fan of 10 ways to dispose of a body if you really need to because someone has published that article, and they have no idea what they're talking about.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 19, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

Someone ask the Reagan bot about Selene Walters.

I want someone to ask Jesus Christ what he thought about Charles Manson.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

These things are such a blight on my state we're famous for them. Our state of origin rugby league team is even named after them. We kind of have this weird cultural thing to kill them on site here, that's instilled in us as kids. So much so my grandad used to have an old bayonet fixed to a broom handle for just that purpose. The greenies tell us to catch them in plastic bags and put them in a freezer but I don't think that's how most of them meet their end. It was funny one day at the range there were at couple on the hill and no one on the firing line bothered with a paper target for the first little while.

I'm curious as to how the preferred method of killing them is supposed to be kinder. It sounds a lot like 'I'll put you in a plastic bag and suffocate you, but if that doesn't work I'll freeze you to death.'

Also looks like you'd need a lot of freezer space.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If there was anybody remotely smart in the GOP "reducing meat consumption to battle the issue that mass cattle farming contributes to global warming."

I mean, this is the least likely even ironic and caustically cynical spin I've ever seen imagined from that party being put to use.

So...in other words yeah maybe someone will say it. Although I'd imagine it'd be more along the lines of 'cows are for working people, we need to stop giving them to the poor.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know the origin of the beef here but this is good random angry stuff

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1616654355071135744

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

This is probably a boring overly recommended book that half the thread has read (possibly including you) but I'm finally getting around to Nixonland.

So far I'm having fun? (???) looking up all of the people and events that are randomly mentioned and moved away from that I knew a little but not a lot about [note: much of the further reading is not particularly fun]. There's just a lot there and it's a well documented period that's easy to look up further information online if you're a history dork.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quiet Feet posted:

Taming down the Christmas lights today and feeling kind of blah about it.

I like to think this just means you're grooming them in some fashion and they stay up all year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm trying to get into this book and it's just not cooking yet :(

I'm not a fan of a lot of the framing Perlstein does, I got the notion of the Franklins vs the Orthoginians in a few pages, it doesn't need to be repeated over and over again in words that just mean the elite or the working class.

I spend half my time reading it and half looking up stuff that sounds interesting. But, yeah, I'm not you, so, your mileage may vary for sure.

e: didn't mean that to sound condescending if it came off that way, just I like nerdy stuff like that and you may not. I probably only feel like I have to note this because we're getting into a whole lot of condescension talk where I am in the book.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 22, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

T-Square posted:

Lmao, put Heat on and I forgot Henry Rollins somehow got a part in Heat with prime Pacino, DeNiro, and Kilmer.

My absolutely weirdest brain fuckup that I cannot explain at all because it makes zero sense: every time I see their names in print I get Henry Rollins mixed up with freaking Ted Nugent.

They are the absolute opposite person as far as every view they have and I like me some old Black Flag stuff. If I see a picture I'm fine, but for some reason the names themselves get crossed for me and it takes me a second to figure out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

I've been slowly reading through the Sharpe series of novels. It's kinda similar to the Master and Commander series in that it's historical military fiction during the Napoleonic Wars, but it focuses on a low born infantry Rifleman rising through the ranks, instead of ships.

Late to this, these are all kinda sameish narratively but work well. Same author I noted writing historical fiction about the Vikings a long time back when AC: Valhalla came out.

Like every book no matter what happened before our main character is broke or in some sort of trouble and manfully dominates everything in front of him eventually while being screwed over by everyone around him. I don't say this as a bad thing, it's good to me, I like it. Just that's the way they go. And you pick up stuff about how much it must have sucked to have your face and hands scarred by black powder blowing back into it and other stuff.

He has one formula but I do like Bernard Cornwell.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 24, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
90 seconds to midnight baby!

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150982819/doomsday-clock-90-seconds-to-midnight

quote:

The world is closer to catastrophe than ever: the Doomsday Clock, the metaphorical measure of challenges to humanity, was reset to 90 seconds before midnight on Tuesday.

The science and security board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists said the move — the closest to widespread calamity humanity has ever been judged to be — was "largely, though not exclusively" due to the war in Ukraine.

Gotta admit I'm less worried about Putin destroying the world than I am climate change, but if he wants to he could I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sad to have missed Catholicism chat as a general student and outside hater:

I have no clue how true the posthumous book is or if it's being suppressed but...if it does exist and is translated to something I can read I'd read it. [translating it to something I could read and understand rather than have chanted at me is obviously not something Ratzinger would want by his record]

I wouldn't like it, but I'd read it to see what the bitter old man who abdicated being the freaking Pope is complaining about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'll always laugh at the mooninite episodes. Especially since they caused a bomb scare once.

This is pretty far up there with the most randomly stupid panics that I'll always remember.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey football friedns This is lame as gently caress but my union is going on strike next week and we have a GoFundMe to support our workers. It's the sort of thing where public support is more important than the actual dollar figure so if anyone can share it on social media or give a buck I would take it as a personal favor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/portland-city-laborers-solidarity-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Mods, edit this out and slap my hand if this is out of line. Just feel like I have to do everything I can for my folks out there.

:hai:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a sexual elk posted:

Hm directions for these White House sliders call for a microwave, which I ain’t got. So should I bake with a pan of water/ toss em the toaster oven or throw the Pattie’s in a skillet and toast up the buns?

Each of these options works from what I can tell, steaming will give you softer buns, other options a little more toasted. They're fully cooked so really you're just warming them up in whatever way works for you.

*-as a fan of the worst fast food in the world in general I really miss having a White House somewhere in the city.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 28, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Reportedly nypd have shut down grand central station in anticipation of the Memphis police murder release.

Apparently this is also about a different protest already going on about shutting down Rikers, but it might be both since they anticipate it to be bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

toasting a white castle burger bun and putting the patty in the skillet is some of the most lunatic behavior poo poo ive ever heard in my life

You're thinking way too fancy, you're just warming that up, the whole thing goes onto whatever heating device you're using. We're eating frozen White Castle sliders here, there's no judgment past that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I told my mom who likes to do puzzles about your thing with taking pictures of them and putting them up on your wall and she thought it was cool. Do you print them out on an office printer or use a service to do this? (neither of us have any color printers and this is my job to figure out now that I've gotten it into her head).

Looking it up I guess something like Shutterstock would be the way to go? I'm not a printing physical pictures guy so I'm walking in blind here if you or anyone else tells me how to do this the cheapest and easiest way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I normally take pictures of the ones I'm not putting up, just so I have a record of it. For ones that I'm actually putting up I get glue sheets/backing stuff instead. It's how I hosed up my last puzzel -- I was moving it so I could flip it over so I could put the backing on it and it slipped off the mat I was using. Generally speaking though, for other stuff I'll use Shutterstock since it's pretty easy. I do have a color printer at work but it's not made for nice stock paper.

Oh god the glue sheets might be even harder to do and I'm afraid of mentioning this possibility. Thanks, I'll give Shutterstock a try for now and...probably tell her about that other idea because I'm weak and she really likes her puzzles. And then try to figure that out.