Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for making the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Did my final scoop-up of the sale - I picked up Deity Empires, Globesweeper, Illwinter's Floor Plan Generator and Transcendence, because it's finally time I paid for Transcendence. And Ord, which is a little text-based game where each scene is only three words and you get to click one word in response. Like Zork but for cavemen. Someone mentioned it in the (very cool) hidden gems thread.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I am not really Good At Videogames but I love Elden Ring and I'm drat well going to make more time for it this year. I don't find it easier than Dark Souls, exactly, but I do think it's more accessible. If you're getting frustrated with something and can't get past it, you can always go do something else instead, or radically change your approach to it without much fuss - go ranged, go magic-using, summon help. And I really like the lore and the stories.

And those spinny goats! What other game has spinny goats? ...'Everything' does I suppose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

My wallet thanks you! I want to try it myself but not at 40$

Thinking about Elden Ring more. Hmm. I should install Dark Souls 2, I can’t play 1 after seeing three LPs of it.

The fashion in Elden Ring is really good! And your character actually looks like your character instead of 'your character but a raisin'!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Resdfru posted:

So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any

My five-year-old niece is completely in love with Slime Rancher and Bugsnax. Might also be worth looking at Chicory; that has a mode where player 2 can just colour stuff in, I believe.

For driving, Motor Town has lots of different kinds of vehicles but it's not really aimed at kids and at the moment, Krampus is wandering around and is a bit spooky for tinies perhaps. But maybe glance at it anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I randomly tossed Trombone Champ into my cart and I don't regret it a bit. My kids and I were laughing our asses off everytime one of us attempted a song. What a stupid fun game.

It's so funny. And a goon game!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I don't know about playing it, but that age group—generally—seem to love videos of Farm Sim. There's even dedicated streamers/youtubers who mod in bright coloured terrain and machines, neon level, and drive around obstacle courses, etc. specifically making content for toddlers. If you got the game it's easy to get a "government subsidy" mod that gives you either hundreds of thousands of cash a day, or else millions, and just buy fields, machines and tractors to your heart's content.

Every year on my birthday I go with my sister and her little girl to the zoo. A couple of years ago the kiddo was about two and a half and we went on the little steam train thing that goes around the zoo. We adults were all gasping and pointing and showing her elephants and stuff and she was politely interested, and then suddenly she leapt to her feet and pointed and shouted "TRACTOR!!!"

There was a tractor doing something in a field on the other side. We asked her in the car what was her favourite animal at the zoo and she said it was the tractor.

Anyway now she plays Minecraft but just as a way to collect as many cats as possible and walk around with them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Resdfru posted:

Lotta great recs for my kids, thanks everyone! Might get bugsnax and slime rancher for myself tbh

Slime rancher is delightful, strong recommend

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Waffle! posted:

I kinda forgot about it for a while, but the remake of Solium Infernum is due out sometime this year! It's a resource building/political game where you and other demons try to claim the throne to Hell after Lucifer goes missing. It's being developed by the same team that did Armello, so they know their way around boards and hexes. The original game seems pretty drat impossible to find, and the creator quit to make board games instead :(

I'd forgotten about that too! Amaaazing

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Nah, I use my wishlist as the storefront.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

How is the Dwarf Fortress UI now that the game has graphics?
Is it exactly the same level of terrible, unintuitive garbage it has always been or has it been improved?

It's been greatly improved, but I dunno if you'd find it tolerable or not.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This question is definitely not going to be resolved here in the Steam thread.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can we please move the interminable 'Dark Souls should have a difficulty slider / people who want easier games are just bad at games' conversation to its own thread if you really must have it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nancy posted:

I picked up Fabled Lands on a whim and it's been delightful https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/

Oh the art style is really nice on this!

I'm looking at Reassembly, the spaceship builder thing, and the Zachtronics Solitaire collection. Symphony of War (thanks Sloppy) is on my radar but I never played any of the games it's paying homage to and I'm genuinely not sure if I'd get into it. Might be worth a shot though! Maybe next sale in March.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I want to say it was a recommendation that came from the 'hidden gems' thread which has been really fantastic so far, if quite expensive.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah Streets of Rogue is great on the Deck.

Luck be a Landlord is an awesome little game! A slot-machine deckbuilder sort of thing. You get to add symbols to the machine and they have all kinds of interactions and effects, and every few spins you must pay your rent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Huh, that looks fun. Is it by the same developer as 1,000,000? Looks like the same art style and design language.

Different developer listed, but a quick google couldn't tell me if any staff are shared. It's a great little thing and you can get through a run pretty quickly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's also totally fine if the general shape of the game isn't for you, even if it's objectively a great game. Everyone loves Teardown but it just is not for me at all and that's no big deal.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well Vampire Survivors is free on mobile now so what else do you need?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This thread is generating a lot of reports and a lot of lovely posting. Stop sniping and namecalling and talk about games for gently caress's sake. Stop just making GBS threads on each other constantly, it's not entertaining to read and it makes the whole thread a piece of boring poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I understand getting lost in an actual maze but to keep turning right, and keep ending up in the same place, for *thirty minutes* without realising you're doing something wrong - how? I mean assuming the playtester was sober which they might not have been I suppose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've never really had trouble finding the correct way to go in games, but I've always attributed it to having more iron in my nose than the average person and thus having a more natural sense of magnetic north.

It seems like a good power but if Magneto comes along you'll be in trouble.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

my sense of direction is absolute complete loving dogshit the worst you could possibly imagine but i'm the first person to say please do not design yourselves on my account

My friend had a cat who was catastrophically stupid. If she was walking somewhere, you could pick her up, turn her the other way and set her down and she would just be completely lost. She would sit down and cry because she didn't know where the kitchen went.

Anyway that's what happens to me if I accidentally gently caress up the camera controls and have to reset them in a third-person game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Stop right now, thread. We're not doing this again today.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Runa posted:

The fact that Ghost Trick isn't on Steam is drat near criminal

I remember hearing about it a lot a while ago! We need more investigation/detective games on the PC in general. I suppose they're really hard to write. I'd love a digital equivalent to those Sherlock Holmes tabletop games where you have a bunch of documents and you get to try to solve mysteries using the information in them. I know there've been a few like that but I want more.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

haha what posted:

my favourite fact about sentient is that they recorded an entire soundtrack for the game, and its pretty good too! but its not on the game disc because i guess they ran out of space?

so its included separately to play in a cd player while u play lol

Reminds me of a game I had on the Spectrum when I was little that had a heavy metal track on the tape after the game data, so if you just let it keep playing you could listen to a really lovely, tinny rendition of the music while you played the game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Serephina posted:

hahaha, It's like that moment in Hades where if you have the basic mook land the killing blow on you, the sleepy guy back at base who gives commentary on your runs rather awkwardly suggests "Have you tried... dodging?"

Hypnos. I love him because he has a very wide-eyed innocent dopey tone to the things he says, but he is almost certainly just loving with you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

his behavior towards everyone else suggests that he means it as genuine advice. guy's basically functioning with "just woke up at 5 a.m." levels of brainpower 24/7

Oh I get that, but in Greek mythology he has a bit more of a sense of humour than you'd think. Even in the game he agrees to put the whole house to sleep so Zagreus can go snooping around undetected.

Either way it's a great voice performance from the lead developer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wasn't there a little gathering of Dangan Ronpa fans and one guy printed the paywall 'register an account to keep reading' screen on a t-shirt and went as the paywall? That was cute.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

I never did install the extinction mod.

I remember ages ago there was a goon with the username Cliff Racer and in the Morrowind mod thread someone, say their username was Joey, said 'Is there a mod to remove all cliff racers?' and Cliff Racer almost immediately posted 'Is there a mod to remove all joeys? :mad:'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving ubisoft. Make the most 'eh, it's fine' games to ever exist. I did quite enjoy Watch Dogs 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I respect Legion for trying something different, but all of its original ideas ended up watered down and blended into generic Ubislop

Yeah it so *nearly* worked. I do love the recreation of London. I don't often get to mess around in a city I know so well in a videogame.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gyoru posted:

I played a few hours of the full game and it's more Uncharted Waters: New Horizons/the KOEI games than other age of sail games like Pirates! or the STORM engine games (PotC, AoP, every version of Sea Dogs)

I like it so far

Can you expand a bit on what this means? I never played Uncharted Waters but I'm kind of intrigued.

Also please let's not do necromancy in the thread, we don't need the dead rising to start going on about their videogames

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Uncharted Waters is like Sid Meier's Pirates except you start as predetermined characters of different nationalities/archetypes each with a different focus like cartography, creating a grand armada, starting a trade empire, raising national prestige, archaeology, etc. You sail around the world painting the map while upgrading your fleet, recruiting more captains, making money by selling your maps/trade goods/research/bounty hunting/piracy

That sounds fun! I think I'll hold off on the game for now though, apparently the translation is very janky and that's the kind of thing that gets on my nerves.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

40 minutes isn't long enough to go through two chunks of gameplay and I think you need at least that to understand what's going on properly. But if you already know about that, and you just can't live with the controls, then it's a huge shame but maybe you're better off watching someone play it or something. It's a lovely story to experience either way but it's so *good* when you work stuff out yourself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

what's a videogame

a miserable little pile of data

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like Nomad Survival okay. I think that's its name anyway, these goddamn games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone been playing dream light valley? It looks like a nice chill deck game b

It's pretty nice but I've only played on gamepass, and I haven't got my Deck set up for that so haven't tried it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

moosferatu posted:

Wait. I don't understand. What are all of those games above Silksong?

Starfield is the Bethesda thing but there are seriously a lot of these I've never even heard of.