Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
elden ring is really hard, hardest of the souls game to do a pure melee run in, but they also put in a lot of different ways to modulate your own difficulty through summons, magic, ashes of war (special attacks tied to weapons), and levels in general being very abundant means you can get real over levelled for any parts you want to bulldoze.

dark souls 1 feels like molasses in comparison, and its difficulty largely comes from the environment and a few tricky bosses. you can also delete the difficulty in that game by getting a big shield and lots of stamina and/or pyromancy. i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

lol @ recommending playing 120+ hours of other games before playing the one that is best for a newcomer

‘other games’ lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Instead of purchasing Elden Ring I decided to play Dark Souls 2, since I own it, and so far I'm having a good weird time. It feels like I've stumbled into somebody else's dream. I am a [person] who is being driven mad because my [zombie curse] has ruined my memories of some nice lady, and now I'm in a ruined kingdom stabbing zombies (and really tough pigs?) for souls, which I am giving to a lady in order to become more powerful.

Everything feels intensely familiar thanks to my watching of like 3+ LPs of Dark Souls 1 (it's a fascinating game) but also terrifying because I don't know where any of the traps or ambushes are, and the notes and bloodstains aren't reliable.

Also I managed to go through a long passage and make it to a kingdom(?) full of armored giant knights first and that taught me a lot about watching enemy patterns and dying. I later came back to the first "main" hub bonfire and found a much easier place full of trees and angry zombies.

I'm playing as a knight, as it starts with a big sword, and in Monster Hunter my best weapon was the greatsword.

(Bonus aside: I've played a lot of Nioh and enjoyed it, some Monster Hunter and enjoyed it - need to return to both to beat 'em - but none of the From games yet. I've tried Dark Souls 1 several times but between my first experience being keyboard controls (it was bad!) and the LPs spoiling it, I no longer want to learn that game. I want new stuff!)

dark souls 2 rocks and unlike the other games it gets better as it goes on, the DLCs in particular are the best souls content ever made.

the only thing to be aware of that's totally non-intuitive is the agility stat, which governs your dodge roll invincibility frames and how fast you use healing items. try to level ADP until you get to agility 96 or 99 for a good time with dodge rolls. not mandatory but very helpful.

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite part of Dark Souls 2 is the (killable) merchant who sets up shop right next to a batch of enemies who run at you and explode.

i've played the game three times and that's never happened to me lol, that merchant is invincible until you do a specific thing and when you do that thing you access a bonfire behind him and all the enemies are passive.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
maybe that was in the original version? it's been a long time since i played that and i've played through SOTFS twice in the last few years and it doesn't happen, he's in the doorway of the cell and you get no aggro.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ymgve posted:

With DS2 they made bonfire warping much more powerful, which is good from a gameplay perspective (apart from the gotta warp to level up part), but that meant they didn’t need to make the overall game world a tight knot, which meant less major shortcuts and a more «flat» world feel.

DS3 and Bloodborne were a bit better but the worlds were still more spread out than DS1.

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good, in retrospect, although it had a lot of style. the best areas are the ones like undead burg and anor londo and sen's that are designed to go through once with a lot of cool encounters that feel bespoke and interesting. at the time it felt massively open but in reality (without glitching the game) you can do the intended path, or you can go to darkroot with the master key, or you can go to the valley of the drakes with the master key. you still need the lordvessel (and the game gates off a bunch of stuff with a fog wall if you don't lol). you still need to kill sif. you still need to get the lord souls. it must have taken so much effort to make the first half of the game like that too because the entire back half is a bunch of linear paths into some sloppy garbage areas with lovely gimmicks and some recycled enemies and awful bosses.

i mean it's cool as gently caress to see the demon ruins from the tomb of the giants or whatever but i'd rather take a game that plays well.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah and i forgot, don't you dare try to explore too much on your first playthrough by going through the secret door in blight town, or the catacombs, without getting the lordvessel first lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lih posted:

when people talk about the world design they generally meant how the world all fit together fairly coherently in interesting ways, rather than it being good at guiding player progression or anything. the master key is basically just a trap if it's your first playthrough yeah. the bit people like is that it's cool to explore and have the world loop back around on itself and encounter lots of interesting side paths that still feel like important parts of the world. like you can get to darkroot pretty early via the entrance below andre even without the master key & that's all optional except sif at the very end, eventually, who you can get to by a completely different entrance.

there are certainly big issues with the progression though - it's clear they meant for the catacombs to be tackled before the lordvessel, but there's never any reason to before then and if you do you just have to backtrack all the way out of it which is a chore. the game also kinda pushes you towards new londo if you got cursed since ingward can heal it and the ghosts are damageable if you're cursed, but that was just aggressively cruel design. the moss lady merchant didn't even sell purging stones originally lol

a lot of the issues would be solved by just having bonfire warping from the start like the later games, so you don't run into issues like beating the catacombs too early and having to climb back up with little reward. you do lose a tiny bit of the appeal of the world looping back on itself, having to trek away from safety & the relief at finding new routes back to firelink, but that's relatively minor and the world interconnecting is still cool regardless. i'd like to see a future game try to do what ds1 did with its world, just more polished (& having the quality of life changes from the sequels), since the closest any have is just bloodborne which has some moments but doesn't go anywhere near as far there.

yeah for sure, you are 100% right about how it feels to play and it was my first souls game and i stayed up all night playing it and pretended i was ill the next day so i could skip school and play some more, don't get me wrong lol. i'm just trying to spread some of the hate around from ds2 to the other games :coolfish:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its actually the best designed videogame world ever op

i don’t agree with what you say but i will go hollow to defend your right to say it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
all the best souls bosses minus sister friede and sinh the sleepy dragon are big armoured dudes. artorius, smelter demon, fume knight, sir alonne, champion gundyr, slave knight gael, etc. etc.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this year i hope that least one of the early access games i bought when i wanted to spend money comes out in 1.0

sid meier's skyships
minimalist morrowind
fleshpunk fallout
czechoslovakian quake
gamer brain fuel tank filler
the one i got in a bundle, which doesn't seem promising

i'm choosing to believe that all of them will :getin:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The 7th Guest posted:

i think HROT and Wrath will. it took wrath a long time because of the pandemic but they are working pretty consistently on it now, and HROT already has a couple of e3 maps i think

dread delusion i'm not sure because if it's going for elder scrolls the dev might take some time to put a lot of content in

i expect Dread Templar, Viscerafest, and Blood West to hit 1.0 this year. My Time at Sandrock, Satisfactory and Slime Rancher 2 are possibly edge cases, and then Lunacid 1.0 I expect in 2024.

i hope so, i think it's gonna be a really good year for indies. playing the demos for death trash and dread delusion shot my hype sky high. the first levels of hrot and ultrakill are just incredible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

suuuuuuper meat boy

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
just the best game ever, of all time

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i always demand respect from my games. for my time, my money, my life choices. i want those games to look at me like a marine looks at the sergeant when the sergeant says, you maggot, you loving worm, you're a dum bfucking rear end in a top hat, which is also what i say to the video games when i'm playing them and they don't respect me

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StarkRavingMad posted:

More games should just have a slider for how much they respect you

what game is this

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haha what posted:

sentient for ps1

dope thank you, i'm very intrigued

also this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgGWrxQNnM

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sentient, a DOS/PS1 game from the 90s. Here's SGF's blind playthrough of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2BfYFVQWQYc_igiW4H2h-N

:cheers: nice one

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

this OST is like if massive attack did a soundtrack for an SMT game it's so good. i've listened to it a lot while i've had covid and it's put my brain in a nice cozy cave.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
luckily almost every AAA game is godawful garbage so they can charge $100 idc. let the pigs feed at the troth, more room at the table for me

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
there's certain things you can do with a hitbox that you can't with a stick or a d-pad, iirc it was some kind of super in street fighter that's possible to start on 4 frames instead of 5 but i can't remember the specifics.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
everyone who plays smash competitively is deranged so i definitely believe they said some wild things about the hitbox.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Zero Seconds of Silence sounds like the next big JRPG

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah. There was some hope that it was just a matter of a separate trailer production team going for a weird tone that wouldn't necessarily be reproduced ingame, but now it sure seems like that was on purpose and the whole game is like that. :psyduck:

sounds like they forspoke too soon

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

pentyne posted:

Forspoken just went from "lol no" to "yeah on sale probably" for me if my computer can run it in a stable, even 30 fps manner.

Like drat, I will definitely support games going all in on that whole customizing game difficulty values and settings, it needs to be standard in every game of reasonable size going forward.

i'm just gonna turn the 'didn't play the game' slider alllllll the way to 100%

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Anno posted:

There’s seemingly unlimited bad dialogue floating around from this game, but this seems fine?

it's not just horribly creatively bereft and bland and lovely but it's also doing that Marvel Thing where Funny Dialog is an end to itself. like the script was fully written and someone said we don't have enough funny lines!! and they just randomly added them to whichever character is currently speaking regardless of whatever's going on or who they are.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
honestly no idea, all i know is that it seems to be happening in all media a lot more after superhero films really took off and it was happening in the new star wars films so that's why i call it a marvel thing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

zoux posted:

So, "comedy"

more like " " " comedy " " "

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i capitalised it as Funny Dialog to imply that it's not funny dialog, which is great, but Funny Dialog, which is term i made up to describe the sort of bland detached interchangeable dialog we're talking about. like the point isn't to make the viewer laugh it's to have as much Funny Dialog as possible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i can have an emotionally fulfilling and cathartic life irl but i can't blast goblins with a shotgun irl. gameplay > cutscenes, it's a wrap folks

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mistermojo posted:

I forgot how incredibly creepy the the spiders in Rain World are. it doesn't help that a dead one wound up in my shelter somehow

i'm playing northern journey rn and it's a masterclass in making insect/arachnid/crawly enemies deeply unpleasant

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the spiders have no mouth and i must scream

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

I mean, different mediums but same idea. Acting like Saturday morning cartoons are cringe for idiot babies and adults can't enjoy them is way more cringe than just enjoying the ride.

sounds like he was butt-chugging hardcore copium to me op

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bumhead posted:

Similar here. I need to be better at valuing my own preferences and time, because nothing about Hades or Hollow Knight managed to convince me those games were for me even after I played them.

Inscryption and Outer Wilds are two big ones for me every time there's a sale on. I can almost guarantee I won't like either, but the reception to them is so positive it's tricky to ignore them at discount.

i felt the same way about it but outer wilds is worth trying just because it does something literally no other game does and you'll know if you're hooked within the first 20 minutes. while inscryption's pretty good but it doesn't do anything all that remarkable it's just a fun game that plays around with its own ideas.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat. absolutely incredible adventure/FPS/walking sim/horror/metroidvania/etc. game. it creates a really evocative and cohesive world centred around scandi mythology, despite being pretty loving out there, or rather it's fully in line with how actually loving out there most scandi myths are, with some very unexpected, funny and memorable events. some janky ugly graphics and some text on the screen is all this game needs to do more to get you invested than a cutscene worked on by 100 people with paid hollywood voice actors. you never have any idea where the story is going next or what you're about to do but it all fits together into this compelling fantasy story that's equal parts about mythology and faith and community as it is about human ingenuity and its daredevil attitude towards the unknown. i'd hate to spoil anything about it, honestly, since that's half the fun of the game. but the dev is one of those people who seems to have realised that you can make your video game do anything so why just stick with boring stuff? the complete lack of information about this game online also definitely helps give the game a sense of mystery. it's one of those you want to keep playing to see what happens.

some of the steam reviews called it skyrim on acid and that's not inaccurate on a surface level but it's got so much more going for it besides just being a richer and better version of a scandi fantasy game.

it's also very pretty. i know i said it's ugly and it kinda is but you spend a lot of your time wandering and ziplining through norwegian mountains and hills and swamps and caves and it's a really pretty game. on some of the maps you'll start on the ground gradually making your way higher and higher, on some you'll delve far into the underground before coming back up. you unlock new means of transportation as you go on and ziplining across the landscape you just struggled through is, as in all games, a lovely feeling.

oh, and the combat. lol, the combat. this is probably where the game's going to lose people. if i was in a kind mood i'd say the combat is charmingly janky, if i wasn't i'd say it was pretty dogshit. other than boss fights you spend all your time fighting these incredibly unpleasant insects, arachnids, whatever ticks are, basically the whole game is crawling with giant bugs and they're really annoying to fight. some of them fly, some of them hide in the grass (and when they attack they attach themselves to your camera and take up like 50% of the screen for a few seconds while they suck your blood). and there are so many of them in the game (there's at least half a dozen kinds of spiders lmao). and they make insanely hideous crawling/flying/skittering bug noises, which is good, because it warns you that something is coming.

and yet. i still pushed through. i mostly have zero tolerance for stuff in games that i don't enjoy but i think northern journey gets away with it in my brain for a few reasons. 1) the game is made by a single dev so i'm much more forgiving of all weird decisions, and because it has such a clear vision throughout it's definitely part of the intended experience 2) because the enemies are so unpleasant to fight, you really appreciate all of the increasingly mechanically complicated weapons you get to fight them, reinforcing the thematic content of human ingenuity and conquering nature 3) going through areas you've cleared is great 4) since most of your weapons are affected by gravity and the insects move in a very insect-like way, becoming better at fighting them takes some amount of skill and it's very satisfying to line up three perfect shots in a row 5) it makes the game feel grounded, which is important when the game goes so out there in so many other ways 6) it leads to some moments of profound terror.

i did play it on the deck which made it a lot harder to aim. and it's possible i am huffing some pure strain copium wrt the combat because i loved the game so much.

anyway it's incredibly good. play if you enjoy video games.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sway Grunt posted:

Coincidentally I just started this today after buying it in the winter sale. Put in five hours so far and I 100% co-sign everything, it's just fantastic. I could almost instantly tell it was one of those rare titles, so immediately captivating that it reminds you how good games can be. The combat is janky for sure but it works, and even as someone who generally hates fighting flying enemies I've been having fun with it.

I'm done for today having just come back from the Nokkpond but I really hope it stays this good.

enjoy, it's an amazing game :cheers:

nokkpond might be my favourite part though there's a lot of competition.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

it really is. i kinda can't believe the game gets away with it but it does so what are you gonna do lol. and the OST is amazing, re-listening to it will put you right back in the game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

seems like a good month to renew gamepass to test some of these games out. i feel like there's a 50/50 chance a lot of these bigger releases are gonna be good. wild hearts looks cool but it also looks kind of poo poo and i don't think i'll know until i play it. atomic hearts same thing. also wu long early march.

very hype to play returnal though, that's one that i don't think can miss.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
are there any first impressions of how returnal is gonna run on PC?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

wtf i thought this game would be like £30

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ciaphas posted:

Returnal's out now. Looking forward to hearing about the port quality, or possibly lack thereof

48% downloaded :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with Returnal? Why is everyone raving about it?

From what I've seen it just looks like any other shooter in the roguelite pile except with the AA coat of paint, and somehow I doubt it's best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

i'm only like two runs in so far but it looks amazing and it feels very good to play. i don't think there are many other competitors in the uhh 3d roguelike bullet hell genre aside from risk of rain 2, which is also very good but a totally different game. there also aren't very many competitors for high budget titles that are really fun to play and don't suck.