Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As usual during the winter sale \ my birthday, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, tell me your favorite genre(s), receive a game.

In return, write a review of the game somewhere and\or ride the gift train.

Don't add me if you just want more goon friends, that's not the point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If a friend started playing Elden Ring, would Seamless Co-Op be the way to go?

Cantorsdust posted:

Crossposting from the hidden gems thread since the game’s on sale:
DLC? What?

I thought I might have gotten the base edition with no DLC in an itch.io bundle, but steam isn't showing anything either.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It's extremely similar to Recettear, minus the realtime combat. It's a pretty good game.
So it's similar to 50% of Recettear?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Some reviews I got:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm super late but many thanks to Xander77 for Undead Horde, which has been a surprisingly fun and engaging tactics-ish RPG with pretty solid replay potential. The plot is also pretty humorous at times, if not exactly the most original stuff but it's good for scratching that "I feel like watching Army of Darkness" kind of itch.

Artelier posted:

Took up Xander77's offer of free games, requesting an arcade game, and got Gryphon Knight Epic.

In a post-defeated-the-evil-villain land, a knight and his crew have raided the villain's items. Three years on, the knight, goes on an ordinary task out of the castle, only to meet an evil spectre that looks exactly like him, a result of the item that he took from the villain. After running the spectre off, the knight goes off in search of his friends who have raided other items, hoping they did not become too corrupt.

Gryphon Knight Epic is a side scrolling SHMUP, with some peculiarities. Firstly, while the character defaults to moving right, you can change your orientation to left, and the screen will scroll left as well. There are certain "crossroads" in the map where you can sometimes go up, or down, or backtrack, often leading to new areas or items, with a small amount of respawned enemies. It's an interesting idea to be sure, but I personally wish the scroll speed was a little faster, especially if it's an area I've already been to.

There's an overworld, where you can select the level you want to play, followed by the difficulty for that level (which you can change on a per level entry basis). Shops are also available on the overworld, where you can buy items (like the classic healing) to familiars (basically R-Type style forces, though you can only equip one at a time and they can level up or down). When you beat a level, you're normally granted a new weapon, Mega Man style.

To be honest, my skill level at SHMUPs isn't really the best. I thought I'd power through but the thing is...the knight's hurtbox is absolutely gigantic. Enemy bullet numbers are pretty low (and there is enemy collision damage), but mostly I found myself constantly geting grazed by attacks I thought I'd dodged, which made for a frustrating experience once I hit level 4 onwards. There is a definite difficulty spike, though I don't think veterans will have any issue.

All in all, a pretty good time I think, especially, if you're a fan of the side scrolling, everything can hurt you style of SHMUP (as opposed to say the bullet hell type which seems more well known nowadays). I'm still going back to it every day or so......and then getting mad when I burn all my potions on parts that I feel I could get past if I just estimated the hurtbox a bit more.

Skjorte posted:

Thanks to Xander77 for CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATASTROPHE-, an Arc-Sys fighting game I didn't realize existed until he kindly offered it to me. I've probably banged my head against the challenge mode for the last time (after getting very lucky in picking the one unfair-but-sufficiently-luck-based one that let me stumble across the finish line after just a few attempts), but playing through its much more forgiving arcade mode has provided quick and decent fun thus far. Having recently tried and failed to attain any kind of degree of competency in King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, it was neat to be able to jump into a game that lets you lazily string together normal combos, and even pick 2 of 4 'extra' abilities that are usually simple to call upon and find use for. Also, as someone who doesn't remember inputs until after having played a series for about a decade, having your character's move list visible on the sidebar a la an arcade cabinet is a nice, nostalgic, and helpful touch, too. Easy game to like, mechanically.

On the negative side, most of its female cast is of the "can't play this game in front of anyone" variety, and the visuals and polish are well below par, with poorly-looped animations, very rough placement-dependent camera zooms, first-drafty character sketches, and just a never-ending stream of typos all over the place. The surprisingly robust combat system deserves a presentation several tiers better than it's getting here, but since the fighting's good and the music isn't bad, I expect I'll play my way to another couple of horribly messy endings eventually.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Xander77 gifted me REDIRECTION, a challenging puzzle game where you place objects to move automated robots to their escape route, which is color coded to the robot. The two colored robots always move in the opposite direction than the other when it hits something in its path. They either all escape or you rewind to the beginning and move things around and change their spawn timers. You can manually control time by fast forward or restarting at any point. I like games that respect my time and there was a ton of rewinds and fast forward. The puzzles themselves had changing platforms, door locks, conveyor belts, etc., with deadly terrain. There are a couple dozen puzzles and some unlockables of 40 year old games. You can import or create your own puzzles if you want.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 6, 2023

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

As a very basic example of a game actively disrespecting your time:

Atom RPG models "realistic" secret bases, forests and settlements that your characters take several minutes to cross at a dead run. Each area has dozens if not hundreds of containers. 90% of them are empty or full of useless junk. 30% are locked. If your character doesn't have the lockpicking skills, you can't open locked containers. If he does, you get to roll over and over until you finally succeed. Only to discover there's nothing hiding inside this locked chest... but there might be something in the next 10 or so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

goferchan posted:

Are they random or preset?
A mixture of the two, I think. Certain "trash" containers have random trash loot, but certain items are hand placed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jelly posted:

I feel like the Hogwarts game should be a lesson to many for how you should advertise a product. It's been in my face for weeks and now it's the top seller on Steam and it's not even out yet.

I'd probably check it out if I could ensure that the transphobic dipshit wasn't getting any royalties.
I honestly don't get it. Even if people don't give a poo poo about Rowling one way or the other - it's been years since the last movie AND there were already a bunch of HP games, all of them quite terrible.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother bought me Starcraft 2 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying co-op with him. I would like to play co-op with more people, but I generally don't do voice chat. Where could I go to post to see if anyone wants to play with me? I'm still testing all the commanders and leveling them up.
Isn't that the "friends" thread at the top of the board?

(People bring this up periodically and I mourn the co-op board on the goon discord, which died a quiet death without a single post after I suggested it)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

There's no reason to buy RDR2 Ultimate, right? Seems like everything is cosmetic \ online only?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sab669 posted:

WB owns a patent for the Nemesis system, right? That's why no other games have tried to do something like these games?

So many RPG games (and total war games) would be better with that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Star Wars isn’t exactly consistent about this poo poo. People regularly point out that you could simply turn the lightsaber off and back on to free it in a duel and the official response is “uh the sith and Jedi both agreed not to do that”
Could you explain that one to me? Jedi and Sith are pushing lighblade against lightblade, in a cinematic cliché that doesn't really work in real swordfights. Someone decided that they could just turn their lightsaber off and then... reincarnate that not do that next time?

As an aside, is there a way to sort the games in your library by size? Or age rating?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Not age rating though, no.
That's installed games. I need a way to see that for all the games in my library.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I just don't get it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/358920/Star_Control_I_and_II/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, I didn't think of actually reading the contents of the "Your purchase has been refunded" emails. :downs:
I have 30 of those warnings. Clearly they don't amount to anything.
It's honestly kind of annoying that using the refund system to check out a bunch of games and refund the ones you don't like is apparently fine, but refunding a game you never launched and got for free on another platform a few years later is an issue.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress. Forgot all about this.

Regardless. Steam sale. Gifts. Handing out.

Add me, tell your favorite genre(s), receive game that may or may not have anything to do with that genre.

In exchange, post a review here or ride the gift train

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex
Same. Knocked out guards eventually waking up and alerts outright spawning more guards made me give on... whatever the MGS5 demo \ prequel was.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Steam sale. Gifts. Handing out.

Add me, tell your favorite genre(s), receive game that may or may not have anything to do with that genre.

In exchange, post a review here or ride the gift train

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you might be the first person in recorded history to give a poo poo about the ~story implications~ of winning a match in a pvp shooter
also this comparison doesn't even make sense because the pvp in destiny (particularly crucible) is also canonically a just-for-fun pastime with no consequences for losing.
Wasn't "I signed up to fight dinosaurs, wtf are we doing loving around with the other team" the consensus on this game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

That makes more sense.

In my defese, who pays attention to the British?
Could also be Australian \ Canadian.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Volte posted:

I've never heard "republican" in Canada other than in reference to the US party.
I have the misfortune of following the political cartoons thread and JJ McCullough used to describe himself that way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

credburn posted:

What's the next main entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise after Black Flag?
Rogue.

Might be because I played it right after Black Flag and Freedom Cry and was all sailed out, but its genuinely a worse version of Black Flag. I'd skip to Syndicate.

Whatever happened to the one guy chronicling his playthrough of the entire rear end Creed series in this thread? A lesson in the dangers of not skipping AC games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

They pay you to take the Bore derlands, right?
I've got BL 1 and 2 (+ some DLC) in a bundle back in the day, and actually bought Tales from the Borderlands.

The full Borderlands Collection, at 90% off (!!) would still cost 156 shekels.

That's a frankly gross amount of nickel and dime DLC. Maybe not up there with paradox or whatever, but just insane for a shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp5iwZoCoc

I absolutely love that "mission", it's such feelgood vibes.
Holy gently caress, thanks for that.

Not usually a :roflolmao: kind of guy, but goddamn.