Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

HopperUK posted:

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

Technically I grabbed it last sale but Symphony of War: Nephilim Saga has been my sleeper hit of the year (after Vampire Survivors of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cactus posted:

On the subject of space games: I've always wanted to play a single-player AAA-quality game set on a huge capital ship, about as big as the Enterprise, the ship in Stargate SG1, or a star destroyer (although maybe that would be too big) where the entire interior is modelled and accessible, like the Normandy but with an indoor map-size comparable to that of a full game.

The ship itself moves through space and visits different systems and such (like a star trek or battlestar galactica ship would) and if you happen to be in a section of the ship where you can see out this is reflected there. Maybe you even get to have a say in where the ship goes if you play as the captain or someone that the captain listens to, and that affects what story events happen and in what order, which in turn have an effect on the ship itself, how it looks, which areas are accesible or closed off, which members of the crew end up dying/changing, that kind of thing.

I'd also be down with playing a more Lower-Decks type of character that just lives and works on the ship but gets caught up in whatever story ends up happening...whatever, who you or the other characters are and what the story is isn't really what I'm focussing on here (although I'd love it if those were as compelling as a Naughty Dog or CDPR game as well, obviously) just the setting itself.

There might be off-ship locations to add some variety, but these would be smaller, more linear areas where story or side missions can have an excuse to take place in a completely different environment just to keep things switched up if needed, like the Mass Effect 2 character missions, but the main star of the show would be the ship itself.

This sounds incredible, especially playing as some nobody caught up in something bigger. Huge, mazelike...I love it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, we all love it. There's also a free demo to try out

Every time I try to download the demo it crashes Steam, anyone else getting this?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Weedle posted:

that game loving kicked rear end. they should have kept making more top-down ones

Agreed, it was everything I'd always wanted from a GTA game, except being on a tiny screen with crappy graphics.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i've used mouse and keyboard for essentially everything for the past 20 years new controller doodads were never going to impress me

The real issue is nobody has figured out how to make a 3d game better on a controller than M+KB (Rocket League aside). Just constant battling with a stupid camera, all the time.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Weedle posted:

yes it's super duper fun. short but $3 is a steal

Such a fun game and a no-brainer at $3 - although I thought the length was perfect. If it had a few more levels I probably would have drifted away, I like churning through a lot of games but rarely finish any because they just drag on and on and the new and shiny wears off after 10 or 12 hours.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

WarEternal posted:

This game looked pretty legit but I'm not really a hockey fan so I didn't try the demo. The hockey smith screenshot cracked me up.

I know almost nothing about hockey but I'm having a blast with it (actually came here to thank whoever recommended it). Runs great on the Deck too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

Bless y'all for putting this on my radar. The hockey part is fun and arcadey (though I wish the AI positioned itself better for one timers). I swear because of the roguelite mashup there must be a hidden % roll every time you shoot. Am I dumb is there a trick to beating the refs?

My first run I lost fair and square 3-2 though they sure felt overtuned skill wise. My 2nd run it was tied 1-1 and I scored a goal in the 3rd but it was overturnen, then out of nowhere they got awarded a goal when the puck didn't even go into the net (which thematically is hilarious but gameplay wise is frustrating as gently caress). The meta-currency (rubber) doesn't seem to save and so I can't really rate the permanant upgrade side. Am I missing something or do I just have to git gud? I swear I saw northernlion beat it earlier today.

Thankfully I'm so starved for a hockey game on PC that I'll give this another crack but goddamn does the roguelite aspect might drive me insane.

My biggest gripe is shooting on goal just seems like a coin flip - I'm always pleasantly surprised when one goes in but not sure what made that shot different than the 5 before it. Also the AI scored by glitching the puck through the back of the net, that was lame. I haven't even made it to the ref match though, I'm just terrible :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I see Taur is on sale and I have it wishlisted, presumably because someone in thread linked it. Anyone spent much time with it?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Mescal posted:

This is a smaller game (60 reviews) that's $3 right now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360270/Gem_Wizards_Tactics/ It's not in EA, it's good. You can push your enemies off the map. Push em around the tactical grid. Shove em down. My favorite game mechanic. My partner liked it but I didn't play it yet because it didn't have full controller support which maybe it does now. I'm excited to play this one.

Also the classical classic Zeus (+poseidon) is five bucks. been meaning to play that but i doubt it'll play great on the Deck. https://store.steampowered.com/app/566050/Zeus__Poseidon/

Thanks for pointing this one out, it looks fun and can't really go wrong for 80% off.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

boofhead posted:

Tbh I think it's perfectly fine to not have an SSD. You turn your PC on as normal and while it's starting up you just do whatever for a little bit. Rewind some tapes, call your friends house and ask their mum if theyre around and can come cycle to the park and throw rocks at that tree that got hit by lightning a few years back, go play in a storm drain, that sort of thing. Then when you're done you come home, exit the screensaver, log in to windows 95, chuck the command and conquer 1 play cd into your gaming rig, make sure the turbo mode button is pressed even though you're not quite sure what it does, and off you go. I challenge any SSD cultist to point out a single observable difference between this experience and theirs

Haha, goddamn nice.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

Fired up Days Gone over the weekend and yes, it's an extremely dated mash-up of Sons of Anarchy and the Walking Dead that takes itself extremely seriously, but drat if it isn't the best port of a Playstation game this side of Spider-Man. Turns out that a painless smooth 60 fps can cure a lot of the bad memories of a terrible motorcycle club soap-opera that heavily abused musical montages. Also the game itself can be pretty challenging, these mobs of zombies are downright terrifying at the beginning of the game. No other game has captured that quintessential scene and feeling of running as fast as you can away from a swarm of 50+ fast zombies, jumping on your motorcycle, and speeding off just as the swarm begins to catch up with you. Truly thrilling stuff.

I absolutely loved it, even the cheesy story. They nailed Oregon, the motorcycle physics were way better done that most games and super fun, the world was scary (frantically blasting over your should at the giant zombie wolf that's faster than your bike and chasing you down was terrifying), and I could go on and on. I have extreme trouble finishing games, even great ones, but Days Gone just kept relentlessly drawing me back til the end. My biggest gripe was Deacon being such a whiny middle-school baby. I thought a lot of the other characters were done really well though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Artelier posted:

Any opinions on Revita? I do like roguelites in general, but not sure about how "fun" each individual run is, since it looks like you're locked into a weapon for the duration of a run (but with some pretty big ways to modify it if I'm seeing this right?) and that main story progression is gated between higher difficulty

It's currently juuust outside the price point in my region where it's comfortable for me to buy and try

Others have answered you better, but I just wanted to add the music for the first area is an amazing earworm. Maybe the rest is great too, but I haven't made it beyond that because I'm really, really bad at the game.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Symphony of War? Someone described it to me as Fire Emblem With Armies, which sounds like exactly my thing, but the art is so loving terrible I'm really having trouble even wishlisting it. Is it like Siralim, where the godawful looks conceal rad-tastic mechanics? Or should I give it a pass and go play more Fire Emblem instead?

Others have already touched on the weird art and the UI can be annoying also, but other than that I totally loved it. One of like only 3 games last year that pulled me in enough to actually finish it. The story is campy and cheesy but still fun. Definitely recommend.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Awesome! posted:

oh absolutely. the race to world first in wow is a big community event that gets streamed every raid tier release. the best guilds in the world play for ~16 hours a day for roughly 2 weeks. they have entire paid support teams of analysts and addon code writers and poo poo to help them.

Are you for real? What the gently caress

This is somehow sadder than dads that fight at T-ball games.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Mordja posted:

Godsworn has a demo out Steam's Tacticon fest. I've only played part of a skirmish so far, but it's definitely midway between Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 with some convenient, automated resourcing mechanics.

Man, this is fun. I've really missed a nice mellow RTS, nothing has really scratched this itch since WC3.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think i briefly tried hawken but it was a mp game with a high skill cap so i got constantly owned. the f2p elements were also kind of bad, maybe? something to do with upgrades.

Yeah, it was super cool but definitely needed better stratification between skill tiers.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Snowrunner's on a decent sale, but all these passes and DLC are kinda a turnoff. Is it just stupid skins and poo poo, or is a lot of the good stuff gated?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks guys.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Bumhead posted:

Hollow Knight was the point I made peace with myself that metroidvania’s just weren’t my bag. It absolutely was not enough to overcome whatever issues I had with the genre.

Same, I enjoyed almost everything about it except not being able to figure out where to go next and just wandering around dying over and over til I got too annoyed. I did beat Metroid 1,2, and Super Metroid as a kid but I guess I don't have the patience in my dotage.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Even the name Zenimax is dumb. I can totally see some drooling MBA going 'Zenith! and MAX! Together!!!!11".

Too bad it sounds like a mashup of Zenith and Betamax, some real dusty 80s crap.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Watchdog 2 is the one one you guys like, right?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

notable demos going live for Next Fest tomorrow:

Defender's Quest 2

More hyped for this than any other upcoming release, no exaggeration. How long has it been again?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Having just as much fun with the Defender's Quest 2 demo as I did with the first game. So stoked.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I'm a sick in the head mercy player

Moira for me, we're broken.

Overwatch is still my favorite chill out and mess around multiplayer game, but it definitely never should have tried to be competitive or a fake sport or monetize via F2P or had the stupid push maps or or or

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Anyone tried the new Might & Magic Clash of Heroes definitive edition? I was super stoked but it's getting murdered in the reviews which is a huge bummer.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Azran posted:

So I've been playing Astrea Six-Sided Oracles for a couple hours, managed to win my first run a few minutes ago. Astrea is very good!

This looks so fun. Anyone played it on the Deck?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Kin posted:

gently caress me is Jedi Survivor boring.

Like the core gameplay is interesting enough, but it's like they designed a basic corridor game, realised it was too linear and then tacked on all these extra paths that lead you to a collectible. Most of which are just some cosmetic poo poo.

It's getting laughable just how many "shortcuts" you unlock because they're immediately after any puzzle jumping section which the game is littered with.

The worlds are now these giant sprawling things that feel pointless because most of your rewards for exploring any of the linear paths is just another colour for your lightsaber or another beard variant.

I'm sorta enjoying it but it's definitely starting to slog.

The whole thing probably would have been better with more, smaller regions with fewer collectibles.

Yeah, that was kind of my experience too. It wasn't bad, just lost my interest quickly.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Azran posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

Don't sleep on this demo if you at all enjoy deckbuilders, it's very fun!

Wow, that was super fun, day 1 purchase for me. Thanks!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

moot the hopple posted:

I'm playing Symphony of War and the writing doesn't seem as bad as I've heard it was. Granted, I've only done the first five missions and the most I can say about it so far is that it's serviceable, with perhaps some bare characters and predictable plot. Guess I'll have to see if it shits the bed from there.

Mechanically though I'm really liking it.

The writing is campy but I found it fun in that fluffy sort of way - it maintains the same throughout. I definitely prefer that to bad writing that takes itself seriously (most video games).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Rockstar celebrating their contributions to gaming culture is like Pilate celebrating his contributions to Christianity

There's so many ways to take this and I love them all.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Begemot posted:

Played a couple hours of this last night, it's pretty good.

Really feels like an indie game from like 2010 that got all the time and polish it needed to be fully finished, in good and bad ways. Lots of dumb jokes and internet references (especially around said fascist squirrel, King Josh), but it's also got a compelling plot and really nice pixel art. It's not one of those RPGs where you're messing around with equipment and stat points all the time and grinding out XP or whatever, it's more like a series of boss fights with a handful of easier fights in between.

loving sold, looking forward to trying out the demo.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Like I primarily get the heads up on cool new poo poo from this thread specifically and even then for as much as I appreciate the work put into highlight posts, eventually my eyes glaze over and I move on because there's just too many games to keep track of.

Yeah this. They could make 0 new games ever again and I'd still be playing new bangers til I died.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

raccoon.bmp posted:

Can't huff my Steam Deck, can't lick my Switch carts, what can anyone do for fun nowadays?

There's always good ol' Elmers. Kids these days forget where they came from.

Almost bought Against the Storm on sale but going to roll the dice on a better discount for Christmas.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Is this guy a known rear end in a top hat or something? This is hilarious, should have just hung it up instead of melting down on stream. Loving Gabe just a little bit more.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Sab669 posted:

You're a page late :v:

Still, I'm happy to LOL again! Thanks Velocity Raptor!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

For real stoked to buy a bunch of games I'll play for a few hours and never touch again. Wishlist is ready!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

Is this the "general PC gaming thread" enough to ask about stuff like a gaming desk? If not, is there a semi-active thread for that sort of thing?

If you're getting old like me but still like an occasional long gaming session a good sit/stand is a total gamechanger. Just get a good one that's not wobbly. I have an Uplift but there's a number of good brands. I love it to death and will never go back to a normal desk. It's got all the customizable options a good nerd wants like cable trays and ports, usb/power plugs on the desk surface, tons of different sizes, shapes, materials, etc.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I didn't say any are bad. But I had plenty of runs where I was just like, "My kingdom for a <whatever it was I wanted to try that run>". Or like you explore a glade and it has a some huge resources for the resource gatherer you just can't find or whatever

That's what gives Against the Storm it's lasting appeal - trying to navigate whatever hand you get dealt in a creative way. And the game has so many levers to push and pull that every run feels different (to me anyway).

Honestly it's the most addictively fun game I've played in at least 5 years, can't believe how hooked I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

JAnon posted:

also Cobalt Core is out.* (furry roguelike game set in space)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

ED: *it's been out since November

I've been playing this game a while now and it's very good. Don't be deterred by the crappy title image.