Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If I like video games but I have video games and no time to play video games what should I buy in the steam sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is jedi fallen order super hard and stuff? It's tagged souls like and I don't know if that means 'it's hard and you have to die a bunch of times' or something else

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Lotta great recs for my kids, thanks everyone! Might get bugsnax and slime rancher for myself tbh

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Interesting. Seems like I should buy Hitman 3 right now while on sale so I get all the Hitmans soon

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

Alternate take: the Ratchet games emulated (not the best or whatever, but very fun).

Tell me more

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

I replayed a bunch of the R&C games last year through RPCS3, a PS3 emulator. It was great to see Tools of Destruction unshackled from 720p. It ran great for me (less slow downs than the original). I have a decent computer but not top end by any means. The CPU is the most important part.

The older games should be PS2 emulatable, but I stuck to the PS3 collection, which has native widescreen and some texture improvements iirc (and a few sloppy oversights). That should work on weaker PCs too.

Oh cool, will have to take a look at the compatibility list for RPCS3 again. I tried it for last of us when the TV show was announced but it didn't work great

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

Performance will largely depend on your CPU. You really want something that came out in the last couple of years, the newer the better, and preferably with at least six cores (though it’s not a hard requirement, and the CPU family can be more important than core count).

I have a 12th Gen i5, just built pc last year. I read last of us is just poo poo emulated and I assumed most ps3 games were poo poo emulated so I never tried anything else

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'll have to take a look at the wiki again, thought I did. Yea the pc version was announced after I tried the emulator. But it comes out after the show airs and I wanted to start (and then never finish probably) before the show

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's a pointless debate anyway. Harry Potter is the 8th highest grossing media property ever. It's gonna sell a gently caress load and nothing anyone says is gonna change that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3 was so loving good people were playing previous games in the series and reading books for the first time because of it.

NOBODY is going to start reading Harry Potter books because of that game. I'll eat my loving hat if anyone does.

Not really a comparison that works though. Witcher was a niche fantasy series that was barely in English before the games. Probably the people getting the Hairy Potter game have already read the books and seen the movies and own a bunch of dumb pop figures of them.

My Witcher opinions are that 3 is too loving long, Skellige is one of the worst examples of pointless wastes of time points of interest and I skipped most of them.

But overall it's a great game and if you're a person who can just do quests and not feel forced to visit every pixel on the map it's awesome. If you're like me and you can't ignore anything (except skellige poo poo) then could possibly burn out on it and miss out on a cool story

My last opinion is that overall I enjoyed 1 and 2 a little more than 3.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
No lie, I was really into Witcher 3. I had a mod that added all the crap to the map and as mentioned I have a bad trait that makes me do everything in a game. When I got to skellige and opened the map I closed the game and stopped playing, went back 2 years later and finished it but had to force myself to not go doing all the crap littering skellige

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

kazil posted:

Didn't help that it was like 80 hours in to a 100 hour game. The burnout was real by Skellige

I also went there at 80 hours but I was super over leveled the quests that took me there. I guess you're supposed to stop what you're doing and go there and then leave there before you finish all of it and go back and forth. Which honestly sounds annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Paw Patrol is more successful than Halo, lol

Kids (parents) are a gold mine

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I know this isn't the morrowind thread but as it's the topic of the moment

I just 2 days ago Googled morrowind mod pack and installed something called moise with some mod installer that required me to click download 200 times on nexus windows it opened

So having said that, what's the best way to play morrowind these days? Or oblivion. Did any of those things like skywind morrowblivion skyblivion or whatever ever actually finish?

Edit
Thanks person below me. I looked at the first post of that thread. I don't think I wanna play it that bad

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 11, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Anno posted:

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but, parent goons of the Steam thread, can you recommend anything for my almost-5 year old to play? She’s been asking for awhile now to try games, and has played a little of this little of that, but I’d like something pretty much just for her that she can play either with a controller or mostly the mouse to help her develop those skills a bit.

I asked that question here and got a lot of great responses https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020953&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=56287#post528805192

You'll see my recommendations there as well but to restate it. My 6 year old and 3 year old love Wobbly Life. It's like an open world game with jobs and driving. Kid Gta basically. In the beginning they were bad at it but playing it made them much better at using the controller.

If also has split screen co-op and online co-op if you have multiple computers. Online co-op is loads of fun (with my kids and wife, I've never done with randos)

My other suggestion is GTA 5 with thr family friendly mod. The loading screen has guns but the mod has instructions to remove those too, I just never bothered. In game it removes all weapons and cops and violence, bad words, songs, etc. My kids spend hours and hours driving around in that game. No other game comes close in size and quality if you're a kid who wants to drive around

Oh one thing about gta, sometimes when it loads as Franklin he's coming out of thr weed store (you just see the leaf logo outside and he puts something in his pocket) and a lady in a bathing suit walks by and thr camera follows her for a moment as if he's looking. In case that would bother you

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 11, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Waffle! posted:

I thought Lego City Undercover was everyone's version of that.

Probably much simpler than getting mods in gta and keeping them working (not that it's hard).

I have heard that it's kid gta. I tried it once but my kids didn't like it. I should try again since kids like different things every other day

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wonder if the contract prevents them from just having 1 dev on it and delaying it forever

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It feels like I've been waiting for skyblivion since 2011 when skyrim came out. Dunno if development started then but it feels like it.

Also been waiting for skywind and morrowblivion. Don't think any of them ever came out. Guess rebuilding entire giant games is a huge task or something

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Has anyone played exoplanet first contact? It's been in early access for 7 years and a lot of reviews say it's kinda short or lacking but it seems cool

https://store.steampowered.com/app/531660/Exoplanet_First_Contact/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

pentyne posted:

The one exchange from Forspoken I will probably remember forever if I don't play the full game is

Frey "huh, lots of ruined buildings"

Cuff "this was the center of the government, the ruins are all that is left, it was an important "

Frey "whatever I don't really care"

like the game is embarrassed you have to play it and see their game world.

Maybe I'm weird but it doesn't seem out of character for a teenager to react like that to something like that. Not everyone would react that way but likewise not everyone is gonna react all amazed or whatever.

This game doesn't look great but it really doesn't look as bad like the worst game of all time as the internet wants me to think. But to be fair I'm basing this on clips as I haven't played it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

MMF Freeway posted:

insane stats, I appreciate the flex

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I grabbed PGA Tour 2K21 cause maybe golf is relaxing? I dunno, I'll find out I guess

Oh I forgot to say thanks.

Thanks anno!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Between the people who will buy hogwarts because they aren't terminally online and know nothing about jk Rowling but have loved Harry Potter their whole lives and been waiting for this game forever

And the people who are gonna buy it to own the libs

And the people who are gonna buy it even though they said they won't

And the people who are gonna buy it cause they don't give a poo poo about anything except arry pottah

That game is gonna sell a few copies probably

It's one of the biggest media properties in decades. In online echo chambers it's easy to think that everyone is gonna avoid it cause Harry Potter is lame/dumb/whatever or jk Rowling is a piece of poo poo but probably not so much in real life

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Aw yea, a proper fantasy life sequel is great news. I ahd so much fun in that game co-op. The mobile version was trash

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how do EA games that say this work these days?

Do they just launch origin and make you run both it and steam? Does steam controller support still work with them?

In the recent past they installed an origin thin client which runs when the game starts and closes after. It's pretty unobtrusive

They're migrating to a new EA app that's replacing origin across the board. It was also unobtrusive but I removed it and reinstalled origin and always decline the update it tries to do on launch cause no achievements are working in mass effect legendary in EA app

Can't talk about steam controller sorry but I assume it will work

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Gamerofthegame posted:

workers and resources got delisted on steam, apparently prompted by the devs who didn't want to deal with DMCA claims from a steam guide weirdo

v tragic

For anyone else wondering

https://www.reddit.com/r/Workers_And_Resources/comments/ytd0rt/comment/iwl7a9r/

This poo poo is wild. How can someone think they own the way a game is played. What

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

KazigluBey posted:

This is the welcome post on their Discord:

Also he's been DMCAing YTbers who play the game using the gamemode in question and DMCA'd it in Steam, leading to the delisting. Something tells me this isn't about a name in the credits, lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/784150/announcements/detail/3647388792201529685

This is the devs discord? Makes them sound like assholes

But on the other hand that guide writer or whoever is using dmca to mess with people's jobs and stuff so they're also an rear end in a top hat

Assholes all the way down

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

What's the leather supposed to do exactly when layered on top of plate armor?
Also we're still doing boob armor in TYOOL 2023?

Nope, I remember reading about it ruining the performance so I disabled that poo poo instantly.

Looks like it's for medals or insignia/rank or something?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

RandolphCarter posted:

Me and a friend are gonna try to sell some unusuals to get the fun bux to buy him a deck. Can you just transfer credit from one account to another, or should we sell the hats from one account?

Pretty sure you can't transfer steam bux to another account. Sell the whatever on one account

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bovis posted:

Got some games from the humble bundle that anyone can take if they want

Baba Is You
H3RGY-LCBK9-E0YNB

Dorfromantik
69QVL-IC62P-Z408W

Monument Valley
692L0-PVB6F-XK4NA

Monument Valley 2
5VMVK-YXBN9-JV0WK

DARQ
5KIWN-M7HKZ-VYR4D

Not gonna bother obscuring them since I'm not that fussed honestly.

Dofromantik was used. I grabbed darq. Didn't try the others.

Thanks bovis

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

Also, checkpoints are a positive thing because they make you learn the game instead of abusing quicksave/quickload.

I usually have to give up on checkpoint games because sometimes I have to quit immediately and I end up losing progress.

Even if I wanted to abuse quicksave who gives a poo poo. Someone abusing quicksave doesn't force another person to also abuse it in a single player game.

Checkpoint games are dumb as hell

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm gonna get gunfire reborn, do I need the DLC now or can I get them later after playing the main game a bunch?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
thanks y'all. I've been playing it on gamepass but then I read somewhere that it was an old version or something so I decided to get it on steam. I've been enjoying it but I think I'll wait anyway because I'm sure the base game has enough to keep me entertained for a while.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/263260/discussions/0/3802776599350327685/

Blizzard didn't do it?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is there anything worth it in atomic heart or is it just a standard not-shooter.

I'm trying it on gamepass and so far my main weapon is an axe and I don't like it. Do I get more guns and ammo later or am I always gonna be relying on the axe due to ammo scarcity?

It's pretty to look at but so far it just feels like a bioshock-alike. With unfunny banter and characters and vulvas everywhere. Plus it's mostly checkpoints which Im not a fan of.

So what I'm saying is does the story get good and pay off or is this just not for me? I can sit through all the poo poo if the story is really good

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

fuckpot posted:

Doing some Steam card idling and was just wondering what's the best way to quickly sell thousands of cards? Feel I can easily buy a game even if I sell them all for three cents each. I've had a foil dropped with apparently has a value of $70 which is obviously high but I remember selling a Falcon 4.0 foil for $20ish once which was really cool.

Steam inventory helper browser addon last I checked

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's not a big deal, you can get the tokens playing the game too. You get the required number of tokens for 1 save every 7 days of logging in and collecting login rewards. It resets if you miss a day though

You can also earn them if you're good enough to place in the pvp leader boards but you probably won't with all the whales.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

PowerBeard posted:

If you are looking forward to Starfield, James Stephanie Sterling has a great video on it.

Can't wait for Bethesda HR department and management to eat a bag of bricks.

For anyone else wondering what this is but hates videos like me

https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-online-dev-transphobia-deadnaming-allegations-bethesda-zenimax/

I don't know if it's the only issue she talks about cause I stopped watching once I had something to Google

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There was also supposed to be a cool single player campaign or something but apparently it's been scrapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the horny fridge is the upgrade station in that russian bioshock game
i know nothing of vulvas

Same game