Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes
Severed Steel, which owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Hitman games are getting consolidated together on January 26, so there's only one game (Hitman 3 with the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 Standard content) and one DLC (containing the Hitman 2 and 3 expansions). If you already own Hitman 3, that means you'll be getting the Hitman 1 GOTY and Hitman 2 standard content for free if you don't own them already.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

was that double x one they put out a few years back any good? i feel like snk was running on fumes by the time they put out 6 and then i think they went bankrupt eight or nine times
SNK is in a perpetual state of financial crisis, no matter how many rich uncles or regimes back them. They're like Brewster's Millions but with better pixel art.

Wiltsghost posted:

Also said they had id help out with some of the combat so that's good.
I think Id were also said to have been pulled in to help with combat on Fallout 4, for reference. I believe their contribution was basically providing advice and feedback on making the guns satisfying to use.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LLSix posted:

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?
Probably after Elder Scrolls 6, which based on Bethesda's usual production pattern isn't even starting development until the Starfield DLC is out the door, in whatever form that takes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wonder if Steam only puts regional sales in their top sellers list, because I don't see any HP games (in Germany). Battle Brothers is number 3 for some reason??? It's not even on sale lol
The top-sellers list is regional "for a set of most popular countries". You can view the top-selling games globally or in any given region via the Store > Stats page. According to that, Hogwarts Legacy is currently listed as #3 top-selling in Germany, and #5 globally.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

I've started playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes yesterday. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun! The character handling and stealth are the highlights by far but the whole thing is strangely cohesive, too. Out of Kojima's games, I've only played Death Stranding before and liked it enough.

The above is an unapologetic segue into me asking what is the best way to emulate Metal Gear Solid nowadays and where should I start? I know there is Metal Gear but not sure about the exact connection.

P.S.: I had a PS3 which I could have used to play the MGS collection but unfortunately I've sold it before that. I don't plan to buy another because of lack of space and honestly playing games on it was a drag anyway. It also doesn't seem the collection will ever be released again. Annoyingly enough, it was also taken down from Playstation Now (which was not available here) before it merged into the new Playstation Plus tier (which is available here).
MGS1 is on GOG, but the PC port's perhaps a little rough. It emulates great in Duckstation with all the enhancements you'd ever want.

MGS2 used to be on GOG, but got removed from sale on all platforms after the licensing on some stock footage expired. If you don't have access to a PS3 or Xbone, PCSX2 emulates it fine. Get the nightly releases for a better UI and better performance!

MGS3 never got a PC release. It emulates fine in PCSX2, but might need a bit of fiddling with the settings - it's a very demanding game and pushes the PS2 to the limit. Again, get the nightly releases.

MGS4 never left the PS3 and is a worst-case-scenario nightmare that haunts emulator authors in their sleep. RPCS3 can be coaxed into running it, but with frequent crashing, so savestate often! There are some custom forks focused on MGS4-specific compatibility hacks that may function better. Oh! And it uses Sixaxis poo poo, so you'll want a PS3, PS4 or PS5 controller anyway.

MGS Peace Walker is a spinoff for PSP, but its story is very relevant to MGS5. Again, the HD Collection is the best release since it has such innovative additions as support for a second analog stick, but if you can't swing that PPSSPP will run it perfectly without complaint.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Even back at the height of their game fixing powers, GOG were a bit of a crapshoot. The GOG versions of Rainbow Six and Interstate 76 are still marked down to this day as explicitly not supporting any version of Windows post-Vista!

When they do occasionally get coaxed into fixing a game properly though, the results are pretty good. Their versions of Wheel of Time and Mortal Kombat Trilogy have worked a lot better than the fan-patched versions I've found in the past.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Metal Gear Survive is also, inexplicably, always-online, even in single player mode.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A free DLC has been announced for Powerwash Simulator at the end of the month adding a mini-campaign with five new missions revolving around an old friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di73_USvE78

Must be weird for Square-Enix to have to license an IP they sold off not too long ago...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

uiruki posted:

It was originally supposed to be cancelled in favour of a March sale but it looks like this one is an initiative from a publisher instead, rather than being a Valve thing.
It is. The next "big" Steam sale will be the Spring Sale in mid-March. There's gonna be a couple of smaller sale events in the intervening period, though:

Base Builder Fest: 23-30 Jan
Next Fest (aka Demos): 6-13 Feb
Mystery Fest: 20-27 Feb

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kazil posted:

They are raising the price of an older game that never goes on sale? What's up with that?
Official reason is to account for inflation since the 2016 release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I ain't sayin' it's a good reason. I'm just sayin' it's what they're sayin'.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pentyne posted:

Anyone know what is going to happen with Marvel Avengers after they delist it?

Seems like a dumb but fun comic action game with a decent enough plot that just farted out various 'expansions' in an irregular manner.

Will the game be playable or is that gaas infrastructure going to mean it locks you out of like half of the stuff?
The full details

All the gameplay content was free (except for Spiderman who will forever remain a Playstation exclusive). All of the cosmetic crap available in the marketplace, challenge cards and shipments will be granted to everyone for free on March 31, alongside the final content and balance update.

Single player and multiplayer will continue to be available after September 30, supposedly with some tech changes to "ensure as long a life as possible", albeit without any guarantee they'll be able to fix any issues that crop up after that date. Limited time events will continue on a fortnightly rotation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1617532717045846017

In other, hopefully better-written news, Trackmania 2020 is finally coming to Steam in a bit over a week after a couple of years in the uPlay and EGS wilderness. Granted, it'll still require the uPlay client like most of Ubi's Steam release so god only knows how it'll handle on the Deck, but hey, it's there!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think most people just play on websites like chess.com nowadays?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Also, they didn't send out pc review codes for Forspoken so it might just be a total mess.
The minimum spec demands 16gb of RAM and a 3.7ghz Core i7 to play at 720p 30fps. It's gonna be a fuckin' mess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

To be somewhat fair, minimum specs are probably going to go up in general as devs stop releasing on the PS4 and Xbone and finally focus on the PS5 and Series S & X. We haven't had many games so far that skipped the last generation due to shortages, but they're starting to happen.

Forspoken, Returnal and the Dead Space remake are all skipping the last gen of consoles and have fairly high minimum specs (all say they require 16GB of ram and a 10 series card for Nivida)
Returnal and Dead Space's recommended specs don't ask for 24gb RAM while still being stuck on 30fps (the "ultra" specs, the only ones that list 60fps, demand a whopping 32gb!)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

That makes me wonder.
Are there any good games where the player character is an explicit target of racism or other kind of discrimination?
Preferably in the way that actually affects gameplay, because I'll be honest, nobody NPCs in Skyrim occasionally yelling weak-sauce made-up slurs at you doesn't make me feel anything.

I know Arcanum is one of the games that actually exposes you to reasonably realistic racism if you play as a Gnome or an Orc.
Merchants and Innkeepers will often rip you off and occasional quests will be more annoying to do because you won't be given as much leniency in the high society.
Jagged Alliance 2 had hidden racism and sexism stats for every character that I'm pretty sure aren't actually used in the final game, but I think at least one of the fan-patches uses them to effect team morale.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced: Yggdra Union, a remaster of a GBA/PSP tactical RPG. This technically came out on mobile four years ago, but it's in English now. New features include rewinding, autosave, multiple voice tracks and PC-centric control improvements.

It'll hit Early Access on Feb 7 with all the content and features included, and spend a few months there making tweaks and fixing bug reports before declaring it done.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PC demo for Forspoken will be out today, so we can see whether the port sucks or not for ourselves.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Metro Exodus has released a mod SDK - and indeed, their entire engine - for non-commercial screwing around.

Their blog post also contains some thoughts on the unenviable task of making videogames in a warzone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I envy people who swore a blood oath to never skip cutscenes, because they’ve clearly never played Golden Sun on the GBA, a game that does not have that feature but is designed specifically to answer the question “why would you ever want to do that?”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that turns a type of enemy that is spiderish into a cat. Any other games have no spider modes? Thinking about it, spiders are probably the most common video game enemy? Top five for sure.
Grounded has an arachnophobia slider. Sliding it gradually removes arachnid characteristics from the giant spiders until they're eventually just a pair of floating single-colour blobs with a pair of red circular eyes.

EDIT: Triple beaten, christ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll get the game if I can play it on my steam deck.
It's an Unreal Engine 5 game so it might be anywhere between "a little bumpy, 20-something FPS" and "unplayable slideshow".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Beaten

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 26, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tithin posted:

It wasn't - from memory it was entirely a multiplayer FPS with parkour (well implemented) that struggled to find a playerbase and was delisted.

e: I was wrong about it being delisted, I stopped playing it because I was under the impression the servers were no longer running.

Last reviewed 12 years ago...
Brink wasn't just kept running, Bethesda randomly made it free-to-play one year as a Quakecon surprise. No microtransaction mechanics, they just removed the price tag and let an apathetic world at it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

How come EA Games erased this title from the face of the earth?
No official explanation. I think they also tried delisting the classic Syndicates from GOG around that time as well, but the collective internet screamed them into an embarassing about-face.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Wild Hearts - Feb 16 - Here's an EA and Koei Tecmo two-hander trying to take on the Monster Hunting genre. Should be on Gamepass since it's EA.
The full game won't be on Game Pass at launch (EA usually don't put new releases on EA Play for anywhere between months to a year after launch) but three days before launch they'll be kicking up a demo for EA Play/Game Pass Ultimate users that lets you play "up to the gates of Minato" which Googling suggests is like the first three hunts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Steam client update has released for the six people not using the beta client. If you're not one of those, that means you can do this now:

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

Also, Big Picture Mode has been replaced with the Steam Deck interface.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

They changed it because during the pandemic everyone was sitting inside without having anything to do but downloading their backlogs, which was causing too much strain on the servers.
IIRC it was actually an industry-wide gentleman's agreement to delay auto-updates on all platforms to off-peak hours, to avoid clogging up bandwidth that could be used by the endless Zoom meetings lockdown life entailed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

Has there been anything revealed about the story yet, I'm kind of interested in whether it's literally going to be a story about putting down a slave rebellion or if that's going to be subverted somehow. Was that actually revealed as the plot officially, or are people just extrapolating that from "it takes place during a goblin rebellion" plus JKR's views?
Looking at reviews, the basic premise is "You've figured out magic as a teenager and have joined Wizard School straight into the fifth year. Also, it turns you have a connection to some weird Ancient Magic buried deep beneath the school. A goblin rebellion would quite like that magic for themselves and have teamed up with dark wizards to try and get it. Also, it's the 1800s."

Also looking at reviews, every single one has a deadpan disclaimer about Rowling, before moving straight praising the game exactly one paragraph later, which might have given me whiplash.

Also also looking at reviews, apparently the character creator has no gender restrictions on customization and the choice between being a wizard or a witch only seems to change what dorm you use, so they're clearly not too restrained by any ties to Rowling.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ready your grim-voiced narrators.

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1622642005095636992

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More announcements from Nintendo's strange insistence on announcing Steam games:

Atelier Marie Remake: The Alchemist of Salburg returns to the origins of Gust's alchemy RPG series this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfHby0zw74

We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie resurrects the PS2 classic with an extra set of five or so stages where you play as the young King of Cosmos, and the ability to take selfies because it's the 2020s. It'll be out June 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-KGt6Yido0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WerthersWay posted:

Hitman World of Assassination is on sale and as someone who only played the individual games on PS4 but now wants it on PC, it's still very confusing to me. It includes "Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 1 GOTY Edition" and "Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 2."

This means I get those 2 full games in addition to the Hitman 3, right? Or does it just mean I can carry over saved data from those two games if I already owned them?
Buying Hitman: World of Assassination gets you all the levels from Hitman 1 GOTY, and all the non-DLC levels from Hitman 2 and 3. World of Assassination Deluxe gets you the DLC from Hitman 2 and 3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Announced earlier today: The 2010 award-winning indie be-poor-and-miserable sim Cart Life, which was pulled from Steam in 2014 for various reasons ranging from technical to personal, is being bought back later this year by the original developer backed by a small team of Telltale veterans, with a new engine and additional content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-r3Gm7bkk4

quote:

How will the new version of Cart Life be different from the original?

It’s better to ask how the new version will be the same, because the overall experience will be very close to the original. The graphics, story, and premise are more or less untouched. If they have been touched, it’s to improve on something that Richard was unsatisfied with in the original.

Under the hood, though, a lot is different. One big change is that the game has been moved from the freeware Adventure Game Studio engine to Unity. This gives us a lot more flexibility to fix certain issues from the original game, and it enables us to release Cart Life on consoles as well as PC. We’re also tweaking the controls, so gameplay that previously required keyboard input will work on consoles.

Some new content is being added to ensure that each of the playable characters has a proper ending to their story. The order in which you choose to play the three characters’ stories will matter in the new version, too, with each protagonist’s playthrough affecting the other playable characters in subtle ways. A lot of the new content is stuff Richard always wanted in the game, but he was unable to include originally.
Not really my jam, but I'm 100% sure it's somebody here's catnip so I'd be amiss not to share it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Not sure if that has changed over time, but Mirror's Edge used to be a standard Steam game, i.e. no EA login/launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this delisting was there to make way for a mandatory launcher version.
They're removing it from consoles, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Counter-Strike 2 enters limited test today, with a full release this summer as a free update/replacement for CS:GO, adding a new game engine with better smokes, sub-tick netcode, and upgraded/rebuilt maps. Oh, and mapping tools that aren't based on loving Worldcraft for Windows 95. That's a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhhFl5zgA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZtISgOxEQ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kanfy posted:

I suspect they just want to avoid mentioning Nintendo by name.
They're doing some pretty impressive work sidestepping using any Nintendo trademarks in that store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
3DSen and RetroArch are both on Steam and both perhaps slightly less cautious about treading on the dreams of globomegacorps. Dolphin should be fine legally as long as they don't ship any of Nintendo's copyrighted code or materials... which I think means they might have to change like, three icons for the game list.