Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Me (in November): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL 5.6 is EoL on February 28, 2023. Can we talk about you plans to mitigate this issue?

Me (in December): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL is gong EoL at the end of February. Can we talk about your plans to migrate away from Aurora MySQL version 1?

Me (mid-December): Hey [customer], you have over a thousand instances in three hundred clusters that will be automatically upgraded to MySQL 5.7 during their next maintenance window after February 28, 2023 unless you migrate it ahead of time. You probably want to migrate your 300 clusters ahead of time so you can control the outage. Can we talk about this?

Me (last week): Hey customer, here is a spreadsheet of all of the instances and clusters that will be automatically upgraded on the next maintenance window after February 28, 2023.

Customer (Today): WHAT?!?!?!?!?! This is the first we are hearing about this. How come no one told us about this earlier?!?!?!

Me (Today): *produces the email thread containing two and a half months of unanswered warnings and inquiries that includes my boss and skip levels.*

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Not at the end of the email chain but you better believe I was smug af in every slack chat I had with coworkers asking what happened.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

bell jar posted:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but did you guys pick up the phone and call them at any point? People don't read emails

Whooooo boy. Let’s get into this, shall we?

For brevity, I left out all the contacts, but oh my yes did we reach out.

We contacted them via email.

We reached out on slack.

We spoke with them directly during our weekly stand ups.

The actual problem we face is that the people we interact with in the daily don’t report to their superiors about operational issues due to a culture of pass-the-blame. [Customer] has a toxic culture of assigning blame rather than being solution focused and we’ve literally been in conference calls during customer outages during which production was on fire and yet eight people on the customer side argued about whose fault it was while we listened awkwardly and tried to redirect the conversation towards fixing the problem.

In this case the biggest challenge was notifying customer leadership of this situation without letting that leadership know that all of their reports knew of this and didn’t say anything. Hence i get to send emails directly to leadership because we never get to talk to leadership directly. They just. aren’t. interested.

Again: I’m trying to notify leadership of this situation, not start a witch hunt to assign blame while Rome burns. It’ll come out eventually that their reports knew, but I’m not going to be the one to throw people under the bus because the people are my contacts and we can’t afford to alienate them.

On Thursday I replaced the aging ASUS WAPs in my house with a modern mesh system and that was the most technical thing I did all week.

I spend most of my work day navigating challenging customer landscapes and having difficult conversations with a customer who doesn’t want to acknowledge that we are here to help. For whatever reason we have not been able to convince the customer that we have literal millions of person-years of cloud experience and our best practices are a direct result of that experience. When we suggest following our best practices it’s because we know what the gently caress we are talking about.

But no. I get to play e-mail games.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 14, 2023

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

:drat:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Excel will regularly not open a second file until I close the first one, so that tracks.

Are you in cell edit mode on the first one?

If I double click on a cell to make the cursor blink in the text entry area at the top, subsequent spreadsheets won’t open until I hit enter in the first one to commit changes in the cell.

Could that be the issue? :shrug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

95% of my 10GB usage is copy/pasting poo poo to and from my hobo-SAN/NAS box. There's something magical about moving a game from local disk to the NAS at 400 MB/sec.

My 10g is for iSCSI traffic. I’ve had 10g in the house for years, starting with infiniband and then switching to fiber, and yet I still get exited to see aggregate traffic at 3gigs/sec. It makes it all feel worth it somehow.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Remulak posted:

If you negotiate don’t forget pto accrual, also a signing bonus is better than a raise if you don’t trust them. They need you to close the deal.

Negotiate for maxed PTO on day one. If they give you HR bullshit about how it can’t be done then ask for a signing bonus equal to four weeks (or whatever) of your salary.

This is the easiest way to get extra dosh: “I have a bunch of vacations planned in the next six months and I won’t be getting paid for them unless I am maxed out. How can you help make this right?”

Never mind you got your PTO payout when you quit your last job.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

People = poo poo

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Renegret posted:

A smart thermostat is the one IOT device that I'm going to defend just because of the sheer amount of customization options you're given.

“Sheer amount of customization options”…?

My thermostat has a weekly cycle that lets me program the temp during parts of the day whether it’s a weekday or weekend. No internet required.

What else do you need it to do?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

nexxai posted:

This is a really awesome mindset, and one that I think a lot of newer IT folks forget is an option.

For example: If you're trying to get away from a job that makes you support phone systems, and the interviewer at the new place asks you if you know telephony, a perfectly reasonable answer is "No." If they ever somehow find out AND confront you about your experience with telephony later, you can just say that you didn't and still don't feel confident working with it and so didn't want to overstate your capabilities.

This accomplishes two things:
- You might actually get the job that doesn't make you support telephony (or <insert technology you hate>)
- You show humility and "self-awareness" of your own skill level

See, sometimes lying works out for everyone. :)

This with IVR systems, Sharepoint, team foundation server.

Never a-loving-gain.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

Ink . . . jet?

Boo this man

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

My son’s friend bought a new computer with his hard-earned money and the tried to downgrade from windows 11 to windows 10 so he could play games. Of course the downgrade screwed everything up and in a moment of weakness I said I’d flatten it and install win 10 from scratch.

It runs much faster but now it has a hard crash and reboot that I’ve been troubleshooting for weeks now on an on-again off-again basis.

It kills me that this kid paid $1300 for a kick rear end PC that has some kind of issue that I cannot resolve and I’m bummed for him and annoyed at myself for taking this on.

Stupid computers. Stupid Agrikk.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

pointlessone posted:

Are the crashes while playing a game with Easy AntiCheat? It's insanely stupid, but check for a BIOS update. Had that be the root cause of what looked like hard power cuts and reboots.

If this is it I’m going to be hostile.

And I dunno why he downgraded other than “I downgraded to windows 10 to play games”. Having avoided windows 11 I know nothing about it nor do I know how games play or don’t play on it.

He wanted windows 10. I gave him windows 10 and now there’s this thing. Worst part is I have no way of knowing if this was happening before my wipe because his PC was unusable after the downgrade.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Good idea. I’ll run that down.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for all the tips, y’all!

Memtest did find errors, but reseating both sticks seemed to have solved it as evidenced by successfully rerunning the test a half-dozen times.

I blew away the win11 recovery partition when I flattened it so a restore that way isn’t an option.

I did confirm that my son’s friend plays Apex Legends which does indeed use Easy AntiCheat so we are going to look into a BIOS update.

It could also be thermals because the machine runs really, really hot. I ran a CPU and GPU stress test program, each for several hours and while both ran really hot (I can’t remember offhand what the numbers were) the numbers were right up against the factory spec ceiling, the machine ran stable for hours. Running without the side panel dropped temps by maybe a dozen degrees so I will say the case has bad thermal design and if it were mine I’d be cutting into it with a dremel by now.

I am going to try kale flashing the BIOS because that seems the likeliest culprit. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to have him run things with the case door off to see if it’s thermal related.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Multiple unemployment stints IT person checking in.

Keep after it, Witch. Your career is out there and you’ll find it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

gently caress yeah! Congratulations Frosty Witch!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

A Frosty Witch posted:

I saw a memory stick Christmas wreath today and I can't believe it's been 11 years, y'all

That’s crazy! 11 years…

I’m currently making my way through the Dangerous Chemistry megathread and came across a post referring to a different post in another thread. The chemistry post said “can’t believe that post is six years old!”

The chemistry post about the six year old post is six years old.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Entropic posted:

Normally you can get in basically anywhere if you have a clipboard and look bored.

I used to carry a sharpie on a black shoelace to rock concerts. I would wear it around my neck and try to bluff my way backstage. It worked as often as it didn’t because who wears a sharpie around their neck who doesn’t need a sharpie at all times?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

~Walks through office. Spots plebe with brand new 43” curved monitor.~

“Excuse me. We need to talk. Would you come with me?”

~Pushes them down stairwell.~

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Pretty sure my buddy got our domain password changed to Th1sIsTh3w4Y2021! when I worked for the army. Our sysadmin rolled with it since we were just help desk, "yeah good enough"

I had the opposite:

At our rental cabin up in the mountains, my sister changed the WiFi password to some autogenerated password that was fifteen characters long and had a healthy mix of caps/lowers/numbers/specials that spelled no words.

“It’s secure!”

Yeah but it’s a pain in the rear end for people to enter and what are we trying to secure? The entire network is literally just a linksys router plugged into a cable modem.

I reset it to BlackWhite123 and walked away.

There. You all now know my mountain cabin’s WiFi password.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've used Firefox since it was called Phoenix (and Netscape Navigator before then),

Wh… what?

Firefox can trace its lineage to Netscape Navigator?

Well how about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Oh for gently caress’s sake