Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

New OP looking good!

I continue my sumo brand of "Tochinoshin ride or die," even though that's mostly meant dying lately.

Y/O:
Takakeisho :unsmith:

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Shodai
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Nishikifuji
Tamawashi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Oho
Takanosho
Aoiyama

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Kagayaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

i feel like my brand of sumo is to start strong and fall apart after day 8, so i am sorry right now for everyone who has members of my team

I feel like my brand of sumo is Hattorizakura, the Ls start comin and they don’t stop comin

Come down with me, to the bottom of the banzuk-sea

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

God drat it. Kenning, can I get the following trades:

* Trade Tochinoshin (now kyujo) for Takarafuji, Kotoshoho, or Kotoeko
* Trade Oho (who is just plain suckin it up) for Onosho, Aoiyama, or Hokutofuji

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hokutofuji and Kotoeko for me. Both of them go absolutely full out in every match, every time. I love it, even when it honestly doesn't work very well. Both of them are like the anti-Shodai.

I have a minor soft spot lately for Sadanoumi too, who has been on a consistent streak lately after years of bouncing between upper juryo and lower maegashira.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Thanks and congrats Kenning!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
-

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Kotoshoho
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Sadanoumi
Takayasu
Nishikifuji

M11+:
Kotoeko
Kinbozan
Bushozan

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I love his style, but Sadanoumi is just making me sad this week.

Trade request: Exchange Sadanoumi for Takayasu, Nishikifuji, or Endo.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Kenning posted:

Trades registered Day 7. Also I'm ditching Tamawashi for Midorifuji, making this the first time I've done two non-kyujo trades in a basho in I can't say how long.

Hey Kenning — did my day 6 trade make it in?

ullerrm posted:

I love his style, but Sadanoumi is just making me sad this week.

Trade request: Exchange Sadanoumi for Takayasu, Nishikifuji, or Endo.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Special prizes are up.

Shokan-sho (Outstanding Performance): none
Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit): Kinbozan, conditionally Midorifuji
Gino-sho (Technique): Kiribayama, Daieisho

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Beeswax posted:

Very informative, thanks!

What's nishiki* ? It has taken me forever to identify/name nishikigi and nishikifuji at a glance.

https://tachiai.org/2015/10/04/%E9%8C%A6-nishiki-brocade/

TLDR: As a noun it means brocade, but it's used allegorically to describe things that are beautiful, especially in nature. (It also gets occasionally used to describe rewards/honors of success.)

Both of the active wrestlers with that in their name use it for heritage reasons:

* Nishikifuji is named after Aminishiki, who used to be his elder stable-mate in Isegahama.
* Nishikigi is named after an early-1800s Ozeki from Iwate who founded the original Nishonoseki stable (no direct relation to the current stable).

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 29, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

potentially odd sumo question: has anyone gone their whole career without going makekoshi? Obviously a full undefeated career is mathematically impossible, but beyond people who were only in the sport for about five minutes like Kototenzan I was wondering if anyone'd pulled it off

There was an 1800s-era rikishi called Raiden who was never MKed, although there were only two tournaments per year back then.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Tameemon

FWIW, a lot of wrestlers from that era could technically claim that they never MKed, but the standards were different back then -- they didn't consider kyujo as a loss, and matches could end in draws (which also didn't count as a loss). Raiden is the only one from that era that actually just showed up and KKed every tournament he played in, as far as I know. Absolute unit.

I would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Brut posted:

I don't really know how to read the scores either, like in the basho after his initial Ozeki demotion he got 4-2-1-2d-1a, wtf does that mean? :shrug:

4 wins, 2 losses, 1 absence, 2 hikiwake (draws), 1 azukari (no decision).

Draw calls have been mostly been replaced by mizu-iri (water break, then resume or restart) -- there hasn't been a true draw since 1974.

No-decision calls have been replaced by torinaoshi.

e: There also used to be "itamiwake," a special kind of draw used for when a torinaoshi or matta was called but one of the wrestlers was injured in the first fight. They eliminated that call in the 1970s, changing it to "a wrestler must either fight or forfeit" -- and that in turn has led to some really loving horrifying scenes where wrestlers fight again while clearly suffering from a concussion. Which has led to even more awkward JSA rules forbidding a wrestler from fighting if they've suffered a concussion prior to the fight.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 25, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hakuoho at M9 and Gonoyama at M5! Sheesh, the youngins are already in striking range of sanyaku.

Seeing WTK in Juryo breaks my heart.

Pretty reasonable banzuke, not many surprises. September’s gonna be good.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Aww poo poo, here we go again.

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Meisei
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Ryuden
Kotoeko

M11+:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Sadanoumi

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

the salt in MidnightSumo chat is unreal, and hilarious. what an end to the basho.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Blatantly stealing this one from nattocord:

I've been watchin Atami since makushita and a yusho would have been nice... but being perfectly honest, he was nervous as gently caress, and the old pro smelled it and juked him. The only kind of sumo that matters is winning sumo, so well played to hamster.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hell yes, it's time again. Thanks again Kenning for running this for us.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Ura
Meisei
Shodai

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Kotoeko

M11+:
Roga
Sadanoumi
Tomokaze

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 10, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Chiyomaru is kyujo with a shoulder injury. Given that he was 0-3 prior, he’s likely to get booted from Juryo if he doesn’t come back. https://www.47news.jp/10130604.html

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

Fingers crossed. He and Roga are dragging my team down. Hoping week two will be kinder to them.

Yep, Ura and Roga are my boat anchors atm.

Ura will keep. He started off the week with five sanyaku matches in a row, so I'm hoping that the worst of the meatgrinder is past and he'll scrape out some wins versus the rest of the maegashira and get his momentum back.

Roga, idk. If he gets dunked by Takara-loving-fuji then I'm trading him.

(TBF, it was a risky pick; most wrestlers' first time in makuuchi is a wakeup call. I remember picking Atamifuji on his first basho at M15 after watching him crush in juryo -- and he got steamrolled 4-11, insta-demoted, and spent four bashos in juryo getting his head back on straight before he came back in his current form.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hokuseiho vs Midorifuji: Well, that's a first for me in 2-3 years of watching sumo. Water break called at the 4 minute mark.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Okay, can't take any more. I'd like to trade out Roga in exchange for either of my other two M11+ picks (Sadanoumi or Tomokaze), please.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Ura

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Midorifuji
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Asanoyama
Tamawashi
Meisei

M11+:
Onosato
Aoiyama
Shimazuumi

Juryo:
Roga
Kotoeko
Tochimusashi

Thanks, Kenning!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Some great matches in sandanme today!

SHODAI winning on day one feels weird as hell, man.

Terunofuji vs Ura: Kaiju is back. But also holy poo poo ow, I hope Ura's arm is ok

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 14, 2024

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I was hoping he'd come back energized after the juryo stint, but this looks more like an impending retirement instead.

Can I trade out Aoiyama for any of Shimazuumi, Churanoumi, or Kotoshoho?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Gonna keep Asanoyama for now, no autotrade plz. He only needs 3 more wins to pick up a KK, I figure that will be motivation for him to come back before the second week's out.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 22, 2024

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

What? How? How is possible to be that bad? He is, using a wrestling term, a jobber? Like, he just falls over without being touched!
I'm so intrigued how someone does this and keeps continuing on.

He retired two years ago. But tbh he's not unique -- there's often a sandbagger or two in jonokuchi at any given time.

Hattorizakura just really loved the sumo lifestyle. He was apparently always upbeat and willing to help out around the stable and do chores/etc. -- well liked, but simply not built for wrestling. He never put on weight or developed good form, got injured a few times... but he also didn't want to be known as a quitter. So the dude wrestled for six years, only won three matches in his entire career (often against other sandbaggers), and never made it out of jonokuchi.

Reportedly, when he retired, he moved back in with his parents and was working on starting a post-sumo career, but nobody's seen hair nor hide of him since. And that's fine, he's earned the right to disappear and reinvent himself.

I honestly see it as a "dudes rock" sort of thing. Yeah, he was awful, but you gotta respect the tenacity.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 26, 2024

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Special prizes have been announced:

https://vxtwitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1751455009630462449

Shukun-sho (Outstanding Performance): Wakamotoharu, and also KTW if he takes the yusho
Kanto-sho (Fighting Spirit): Onosato, and also Shimazuumi if he wins today's match
Gino-sho (Technique): KTW

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Greekonomics posted:

drat you Ryuden! :argh:
drat you Bushozan! :argh:

But seriously, this was fun! I'll definitely be back in March!

Btw, what is an "ISP Match?" It shows up a couple of times in Kintamayama's videos.

It’s another fantasy sumo thing that Kintamayama helps run. http://isp.sumogames.de/Rules.aspx

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Midorifuji
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Takayasu
Shodai

M11+:
Sadanoumi
Daiamami
Nishikifuji

Juryo:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Oshoumi

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Day 2:

Wakatakakage showing off some impressive reflexes and ring awareness, pulling out a win from what I was sure would be him getting bowled off the dohyo.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Fearless posted:

Leo Dickinson was still up after the other channels got shut down for some reason.

Leo got shut down as well a bit later.

The suspicion is a dude using a botnet to mass report sumo channels, in retaliation for being banned from Midnight’s chat. Twitch always un-suspends them after a human investigates (sometimes as fast as 10 minutes), but it’s frustrating.

Midnight said last night that he’s just going to stick to YouTube for a bit until he can get in contact with Twitch and ask wtf.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Day 4: SHODAI

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

My team's off to a rough start. It breaks my heart to see Tamawashi at 1-4, but I just can't bring myself to abandon the Old Man. No trades for this basho, I think, and hopefully the boys will turn it around.

Ura has been a goddamned delight this basho and I think I need to start picking him more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I was wondering what happened to him. Too bad, he was fun to watch.

Poorly-treated diabetes happened. He admitted in early 2023 that it was impacting his wrestling, but he didn't get it controlled and tried to fight through it instead, and just kept on losing muscle mass (and matches) all year. He looks positively skinny these days compared to his peak, which is not great for a thruster.

(For contrast, Terunofuji also has diabetes, but got it under control during that year he took off for his knee surgeries.)