Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think people are going to be discussing the ideal use for each emblem for a long time to come. There's a lot to be said about reinforcing existing niches vs adding to a units versatility, for instance. Hell, it's not exactly an idea *completely* without merit to toss Celica on someone like Louis and just use Warp Ragnarok as a "surprise, there's an armor knight in your backline" button.

I actually did this and I’m not going to say it’s a good idea, but it is very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I wonder if the revival stones were conceived as a way to make it harder to end maps early by rushing the boss. It seems to me like that’s their main impact.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

They blow really hard, they should have used that time instead to come up with more ways to play with Sommie

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Did the rumors about Gust collaborating with IntSys have any basis?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's not really an excuse, but this is pretty standard for jrpgs tbh. it's a tales staple, even.

sometimes they do an idle combat animation while talking directly infront of a threat, but engage does have one of those

This is actually something Gust is great at. I mean, not this actually, they definitely still have characters sitting around in front of the boss, but they've gotten quite good at direction for more low-stakes cutscenes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Am I correct in feeling like some of the non-student characters in Three Houses are worse due to the whole "having very few supports" thing? Or does the buff from being near a high support character not matter much?

I have Anna from some DLC (who I've been using just because I haven't been able to recruit anyone yet), and it seems like she'll always be a bit weaker due to having no supports.

That’s an Anna problem— the adults from the base game all have plenty of supports. They’ll probably have fewer available than your students, but they still have some.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Eimi posted:

Tbf, despite her generally good performance, I hate her dress so much it stopped me from using her the second Citrinne showed up.

If you’re zoomed out and Céline has already moved, she just looks like a gray slime monster on the map. At least once I was super confused and asking myself, “who’s that ooze mob?”

I really like the super stylized, unrealistic outfits like hers, though. They add pizzazz to the game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I turned Alfred into an axe fighter because Céline kept calling him a barbarian.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What is the damage formula for Chain Attacks?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Did anybody manage to beat the Four Hounds in Chapter 11? It felt impractical but maybe not completely impossible (on Hard).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

So the Engage setting is just Wars World, right?

Brodia is Yellow Comet.
Elusia is Blue Moon.
Firene is Orange Star.
I guess this means Solm is Green Earth, although I don't think this one really makes sense. They are the last country you visit, I guess.

It all checks out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Harrow posted:

I can't decide if Hortensia has grown on me as a character or if she's just so incredibly useful in battle that I've decided I have to like her no matter what

In my experience it’s really easy to convince myself I like characters if they’re really strong, or that I don’t care for them if they’re useless on the battlefield. Fire Emblem can be funny that way.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I like the turnwheel too, but it’s not like the game doesn’t lose anything for its presence. It adds tension to a game when progress can be lost with a single mistake, and that tension heightens the emotions one feels as they play the game. Games with rewind simply can’t evoke the deep anxiety, relief, despair, or triumph that the older Fire Emblems conjured.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, it’s still worth having Classic because you have to play less sloppy, but there’s definitely a degree to which you can just wing it that isn’t there even on easier entries in the older games. That said, no one makes you use it, and also beyond the obvious perk of accessibility to new players Engage would be a worse game without it because you can just get blasted with a combo you didn’t fully process like the Chapter 10’s boss being able to do 40% of your health before he even does his normal attack.

This is true— playing Conquest could be a brutal and stressful experience for this very reason.

I think if I were designing Engage I’d give the player 3 rewinds on Hard and 1 on Maddening, probably with an option to get infinite instead of the player wanted.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m glad there’s a chapter in the game that can bring back that classic Fire Emblem sensation: getting oneshot by a 1% crit 3/4 through a map. In unrelated news, I am mad right now. Also sad.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The first time I played Chapter 14, Alear got surprise-killed by the boss when she pulled out a 1-2 range weapon that’s effective against dragons.

The second time I played Chapter 14, Alear got surprise-killed by the boss when she pulled out a 1-2 range weapon that’s effective against dragons.

If I play Engage a third time, I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen on Chapter 14.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Did anyone honestly expect them to let us have two Mauvier’s after seeing his identical outfit? Actually that would have been hilarious. Just straight up give us a clone unit with identical stats, bases, appearance, and support conversations.

In fact, just have a different version of all his supports for if you have both of them. The script should be the same, but both Mauviers should be standing around and speaking all their lines in unison. Imagine how safe Veyle would feel with two dudes in huge armor following her around whenever she tries to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I have bought every western release of fire emblem since they started coming out and, until very recently, played a total of 0 of them.

I just completed the very first western release on the gameboy advance.

My thoughts are:

I enjoyed the gameplay (except 2 part final chapter, what a terrible slog). I disliked the story and pretty much all the characters. After chapter 20 I was skipping all the dialog and never felt I missed anything.

I’m reaching out to ask for help. Which western release fire emblem has the most refined gameplay? I really had fun playing the GBA game.

Story doesn’t matter because I’ll likely end up skipping it. If it does have a good story, that’s a bonus.

You should ask in the other fire emblem thread, but honestly it’s probably this one (Engage) unless you have unusual tastes. If you love character building and difficult puzzles it might be Conquest. If on the other hand you don’t think you’d like anything significantly more complicated than the game you played it might be Radiant Dawn. And some people love Thracia 776 but I haven’t played it so I’m not sure what sort of person has that opinion; and it doesn’t have a western release anyway (though it does have a good fan translation).