Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

theshim posted:

this game looks stupid as poo poo

I'm gonna play it

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I can't get over how good the dancer looks. He's got an all time design imo.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ares' art in feh also always makes me think he has a moustache. It would be really in character for him to get to grow a lovely pencil one too.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm just going f alear for maximum hair, because I default to girl mcs and because her little battle romper is cute

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah i definitely can appreciate a bit of leaving it up to god. ignatz has sohttps://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44me surprisingly good paired endings id have never gotten if i had complete control.

edit: i dont know how that happened

agreed 100%

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

tbh i like byleth more than robin. people propping robin up as this font of how to do it right always feels really weird to me because they're too written to project anything interesting onto but also barely have anything resembling a personality or interesting conflict. at least byleth has the vague suggestion that they care about people but have difficulty showing it in a normal human way.

Yeah I found byleth really charming in their weirdness when I first played it. I eventually got a bit sick of them due to protagonist overload which always happens to me, but then three hopes reminded me why I liked them in the first place.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really loved three houses, enough for five playthroughs, but I went back for a sixth recently and discovered I could not handle it again. But that's a pretty high bar tbh. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly it has its flaws but it's up there with my favourite FEs (FE4, Echoes).

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Honestly I think if everything about the advertising is screaming at you that it will be something that you'll hate, just don't play it. Why put yourself through that, and why put it on everyone else around you?

I just genuinely don't get it. If I'm hating some form of media, I just stop playing/watching/reading/whatever.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's amazing how much the sprites improved from FE4 to FE5. The same characters look ten times better.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sorry Nealuchi rules and I will not accept this slander against him

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ah, time to quit reading this thread until release, I see.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

its okay that one was spoilers for fe8 and fe6 actually

Lol I see now.

Anyway I have to finish ai nirvana before Friday... I think I'm close to the end but I gotta make time for it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm up to chapter 5. Having fun. It's a mom game. Louis with Sigurd ring is MVP. UI is annoying me a bit but I'll get used to it.

Enjoy engaging friends.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

some of the engage quotes are pretty funny. like anna's 'this item is NOT for sale'

The funniest quote I've had so far is that at the end of a fight, if alear is engaged with Sigurd, they say "if this love is a crime!"

Like it's a great line but it needs a context

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love Ivy. Post over.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

merrin's class has slightly better stats/more move but it doesnt get the double avoid from terrain

I keep thinking about changing classes and then I remember the character will lose their secondary class if I do it and that changes my mind. It's a good bit of balance, stopped me from making Louis into a great knight.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I simply use my faves regardless

edit: also I got an S rank Olwen ring really early on and that makes thunder tomes brave which has been insanely good. 3 range brave tome... Thank you Olwen for existing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette is the real crit machine, I'm impressed by her. Hovering around 70% without supports atm.

Yeah I absolutely love her. Fantastic design, incredible unit, fun character.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

RoyalScion posted:

I'm crutching so hard on Olwen S dire thunder it's crazy

God I know. I'm worried about when I inevitably replay this game and I can't rely on it anymore. 3-range brave tome is just so useful.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette & Ivy B was the best comedy support in the game so far. Keep it up Engage, you can do it. Tbh almost every support with Ivy is really good.

I was just coming here to post about them! I love their support. Almost every other Ivy support is one of her retainers or other royals, so they're kind of obligatory interactions, but for Panette there's no link like that, Ivy just saw this weird girl and thought, 'yeah I vibe with her, let's be friends.' I love it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Fists feel pretty wasted on Alear tbh. They operate off the average of mag and str and Alear's is so low that she's always going to be doing half the damage she would with a sword.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How do you get A supports with Emblems? I thought I saw a message saying finishing their paralogues did it, but I'm not sure how

Their paralogues unlock further bond levels.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This game needs reeking boxes because I need a skirmish to appear on a particular map node so I can adopt a flamingo.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

Are skirmishes infinite? My original plan was doing a main chapter, then any skirmishes available, then proceeding with main once they’ve run out, but I’m getting to a point where skirmishes are spawning 3 at a time. If they’re infinite I’ll probably just leave them be unless they have gold/silver corrupted

I think they only respawn once you've done a main chapter/paralogue. But there's still no real need to do so many skirmishes, I only do them if I'm desperate for the animals on their location.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

also people say the base stuff has no characterization but i do feel like there's unique animations for everyone hanging around. like i saw framme and timerra having a waterfight in the pool and i doubt theyd have vander and zelkov do that. probably.

I had this! It was super cute.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Like, for people who did get and used the Olwen ring, would you say is worth it 5000 bond if I can also get another S ring?

I don't know how I would be defeating a lot of the bosses without my dire thunder ring. It's extremely good. 5000 fragments to guarantee it is very much worth it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I got my flamingo after three skirmishes and one save-scum of the post-skirmish explore, so no matter what happens in the rest of the game I'm happy. That's all I needed.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chapter 18:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My ivy gains 2 stats often but one of those is always magic so she's good

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The only scene that really bugged me was (chapter 24) Zephia's million-year long death scene. Like, I get it game, she genuinely loved the hounds like a family, you don't have to have her monologue on about her backstory for ten minutes and then have her appear in the past to say the same things about wanting a child of her own. That really felt like, "we've written this background for these characters but haven't gotten to use it so we'll stuff it all into her last scene." Otherwise I loved everything about the time travel section though, getting to see red Alear was fantastic. Laura Stahl did a great job with the voice work there.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Notty posted:

Just finished Ch20-21 and it's on sight with anyone who thinks Engage has a bad story. I just had such a wide grin on my face when Marth said 'you are the thirteenth emblem, the FIRE EMBLEM'

I love this goofy rear end game lmao

Hundred per cent

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hargrimm posted:

A lot of people seem to really like Ivy, but I just got one look at her insanely stupid wrist-spikes and face-grille design and said no. Maybe I'll use her on my second playthrough.

your loss

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I firmly believe she designed her entire outfit herself. Sat on the floor surrounded by singed lace and ribbons melting glue with a fire tome until she got the perfect fit on her fascinator.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

none of you have ever worked in a craft shop where you had to clean up all the glitter and feathers from the hat section and it shows

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Is Fogado, and his unique class good? Not sure what it's wanting to do with the counter skill... wondering if he wouldn't be better off as a warrior.

For me the benefit is higher mag base and growth so he gets more use out of the radiant bow, which is glued to him. Otherwise it's not great.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Terper posted:

The actual strat is to use both Ivy and Hortensia

This

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

Alear and Zelkov’s A support is pure gold.

It's so good

I just finished the game, loved it. Will do another run on maddening probably when all the DLC is out.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

Endgame plot question:

Are we supposed to have any idea who or what the emblem of foundations is?

who is the true foundation of all fire emblem? that's right, emblem zero is............ kaga.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love the different reads characters have on their sync lines. Hortensia with Micaiah says "why do you attempt to throw away your life?" like a bitchy teenager and it's so funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Oh god Soren’s paralogue says staff animations will be turned off due to the high volume

incredible