Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

theshim posted:

this game looks stupid as poo poo

I'm gonna play it

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses visually has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.

No, the co-developer on this one is Gust, who do JRPGs like the Atelier series.

EDIT: Well, actually, Tecmo-Koei do own Gust. It's just that its not the Dynasty Warriors part of Tecmo-Koei again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think Genshin is just...... a good looking contempary anime game??? Just like Engage is?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Gonna play M!Alear but I'm going in with zero expectations about the mlm romance options

This. I think his design is slightly less stupid but I'm only ever willing to be gay in FE. 3H's mlm options were loving dire without DLC though, so I'm not expecting better here.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I really need to play Awakening with the gay mod, if only so I can have the superior Chrobin.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mages? Mages.

All mages.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So is Rosado an Est or are his bases bad or is he just as good as his growths look.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I think the “to be clear” line is supposed to indicate that these aren’t like. The literal spooky ghosts of the old protags.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want to play but I’m at work tonight and also tomorrow night.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I would say most FE are on the bland and lighthearted end of the scale to begin with anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ooh shoot I forgot about that. Yeah general 100% then, not gonna lose my only monster.

That said, promotion bonuses seem to be 1-3 stats across the boards, so I'm not sure if to wait 1 or 2 more levels for some extra Def and HP, even if internal level means there's 0 penalty for promoting now.

I mean he’s going to get better growths from promotion so if you want more stats, just promote.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Augus posted:

do you think they made Sigurd absolutely busted on purpose to hype him up for when they do a FE4 remake?

I mean in FE4 Sigurd is kinda extremely good with the now well known twist that he bites it part way through and then his son starts a lot weaker.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Which S bond ring has Lethality again?

………even though spending Bond Fragments on Bond Rings is kinda a trap…

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Clanne has natural 11 Mag at lv 7 so uh.... Guess who's getting Celica now? And also my DLC Spirit Dust.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Debating Second Sealing Jean or not. Framme is very meh for me and he’s turning out better. But on the other hand, I’ll get prepromote healers later to replace Framme.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The paralogue is perfectly manageable on Easy Normal, but I still have to redo it because Tiki suicided on me one turn before Chloe would reach the Silver Card. :negative:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah jean's skill doubles class growths, specifically, so you want to stick him in a class with good growths. martial monk has no class growth in speed and only a 10% str growth so he doesnt get much from it. in his base class his growths are

HP: 50%
STR: 40%
MAG: 70%
DEX: 35%
SPD: 50%
DEF: 45%
RES: 70%
LCK: 45%
BLD: 5%

the magic growth is impressive but hes pretty eh otherwise. if you want him to be good there's two tier 1 classes that stick out to me in terms of growths - cav and thief.

HP: 60%
STR: 40%
MAG: 20%
DEX: 75%
SPD: 70%
DEF: 55%
RES: 30%
LCK: 55%
BLD: 5%

And Cav has a 10% growth in literally everything, which'd be just 20% extra in everything and make all his growths a 45% minimum.

Axe Fighter also seems like it'd be good - it'd give him a 60% strength growth, a 65% speed growth, and a 35% defense growth, plus a 15% build growth.

In general Jean's gimmick isn't super high growths,' it's that he's more influenced by his class than anyone else. But his base growths all suck except speed, so you need to find a class that patches up his holes.

In my case the problem is that he's got 7 levels before I get even one (1) Second Seal. He's got higher stats than Framme for me so I might just keep him monk anyway, but that got in my way of my original Lance Fighter plans. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want to love Etie but the woman is glacially slow for me. She can chunk anything, but cannot double.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Quote is not edit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, cleared chapter 9 without much problem besides some bad positioning at times. Gonna go do now the Tiki paralogue, hope a promoted Framme can bully those dragon reinforcements to the ground.

Archers can do it just fine.

Also my Clanne is really good and I’m terrified he’s going to stop hitting his Mag growths any second now. :ohdear:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Clanne had more natural (ie before Celica’s bonuses) than Citrine on her join map, so mine is incredibly blessed.

He’s also a poo poo wrecker and I put him in Sage for the S tomes even if Mage Knight’s skill and mobility are better.

I don’t even dislike the sage outfit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad midgame prepromotes are back

ivy's crew feel a lot like hawkeye types, which is something we haven't really seen much of for a while: midgame prepromotes who are just sort of instantly a little bit better than your team to make sure you can get through a difficult section of the game, and they never really fall off but aren't so dominant that they render other people unusable

I'm a big fan of the general return of having a variety in whether units join above or below curve. No proper est this time but honestly, the last time we really saw one was like...Ewan? The archetype might just be dead

I think Pelleas (and maybe Kurthnaga) is(/are) the last real Est, but Pelleas is NG+ only and Kurthnaga is literal last second so shrugs.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Jean is better than my Framme and it’s way too easy to get him a ton of levels way before you ever get a second seal, unless you delay recruiting him for a bit.

I might next playthrough but still.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Hell Radiant Dawn's entire part 4 is basically "here's some random unit, why are they here, who knows, just take them."

"The bird rapist you killed last game won an internal poll to become recruitable. He's alive now and will auto-join if your dancer is just kind of with your murder ball as you reach the end of the stage. Every boss from here on out has unique dialog with him. Why? IDK we thought it was funny."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Counterpoint, this was Radiant Dawn's single best idea.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It was funny. It's the only recruitment that's presented as a failure state with Ike going "no really, it's okay, you don't have to defect, I'd be happy to just kill you instead" and Oliver responding "too late I'm blue now."

RD in general has some of the best stupid recruitments, like letting you recruit several of the strongest Dawn Brigade members in act 3, even though the Greil Mercenaries are all top tier and the Dawn Brigade has like three useful core members.

Who said I was complaining? :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Tellius games are also probably the only ones in the series actually balanced around waiting to 20 to promote too lol.

E: RD more so than PoR but still.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 1, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I actually thought this was the case because Alfred is a Noble (cavalry) and Celine is a Noble (mystical). I guess those are just different classes? I'm still early (Ch 6)

They’re different classes under the hood. All the royals have a class named “Noble” with completely different growths and abilities that then promote to unique classes.

Terper posted:

The next game will have *rolls dice* biorhythm

Can’t wait to ignore a random rear end waveform yet again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Taear posted:

Seriously that's the worst part of the game
And that you have to fight them and can't skip that fight? Why, seriously why

Hint: press +.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So is Chapter 12 supposed to be a breather map or is it just especially a joke on Normal even compared to other maps? Because I beat it in uh 3 turns.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

“Marcia is soooo good” is always hilarious to me because I’ve never had a Marcia that can do damage for poo poo. I always just use Jill since she’s also early game lol.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wonder if there is such thing as a bad dancer. Some dancers are better than other dancers (see the herons singing multiple people and also flying) but it’s pretty much always a good idea to deploy your dancer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t see the benefit of specifically reclassing to use the magic bow though, because that doesn’t give you the ability to break and you only get Backup if you go with Warrior. Tomes let you counter at one space if you gently caress up your positioning and Wind is effective against flyers.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the end sounds like a threat

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He simply wants a classic Marth skin in the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm running Jean as a Martial Master and he's the punch god every else says their Framme is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have an extremely blessed Clanne who keeps slamming the gain MAG button and as such is my MVP.

I’ll miss it next playthrough when it’s not the case, because it’s made me a little fond of him.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eimi posted:

Fun sucks. I hate it.

Also Rosado is cool, but with that hair and being cagey about his pronoun in pre-release stuff, I thought he was trans. Be nice to have a confirmed trans character.

I mean they retroactively confirmed Kyza from FE10 NB but they’re an extremely minor character and not localized that way in FE10 proper (because it came out in 2007).

But also I think Kyza being trans vs a 2007 era Japanese gay stereotype is a whole can of worms.

(tl;dr Kyza has okama speech patterns and “the heart of a woman” in the lorebooks so a lot of people hc’d them as a canon trans woman kinda ignoring that okama and that exact phrase were more of a gay stereotype in the era the game was released rather than trans. (Note: I’m specifically talking outside of media that actually, like, engaged in queerness in any real way.) At the time Kyza was localized with he/him pronouns and as still being into Ranulf (and also very boring like most RD introduced characters). EN Heroes then decided to localize them as NB with they/them pronouns. I personally think the original intent was “extremely stock gay stereotype” but I’m not going to complain about Treehouse deciding to just make them NB so :shrug:)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

in japan gay men and trans women have a long history of being conflated so phrases like 'heart of a woman' or 'not a man or a woman' were applied to flamboyant gay men as much as anything and kyza was playing into that stereotype. considering kyza was in the same game as heather (who i love, but,) thats probably the extent of it.

the fe 20th anniversary encyclopedia outright refers to them as an okama. but given that would have been made in 2009-2010 and kyza's feh appearance was a decade later, they might have changed tact. i dont believe kyza is ever referred to with gendered pronouns in jp fe heroes either, but given how japanese is that isnt a smoking gun. regardless, their speech pattern is slightly less flamboyant than it was in fe10, so its at least clear the intent was to go 'okay lets walk this back a step.' you can also compare the portrayal of characters like rosado and forrest to kyza or, say, lucius, where there's a few jokes about 'you're a GUY!?'.

in terms of an nb character who was always meant to be nb, limstella is probably closer, but then they're also an evil henchthey created by dark magic. which i mean, #slay, but.

Oh yeah I agree with this 100% but it’s why I wanted to but a giant asterisk on Kyza.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know nothing about Sigurd or even what game he’s from so it is definitely funny.

Edit: sometimes the battle banter reminds me of the quests you’d send your units on in Final Fantasy Tactics. They’d come back and explain what happened but inevitably one would chime in with something inane like, “I had a good feeling!” Same energy.

Sigurd and a mysterious forest lady who isn’t supposed to leave the forest fall in love at first sight and get married.

This starts a series of events that directly lead to Sigurd’s death and the birth of the anti-Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ungulateman posted:

chrom and robin are gay, op