Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

there's enough in this first episode to continue watching, and for that alone, it's a success. add that to the fact there's near unanimous acclaim for the series in general, and this was plenty fine. but this episode, by itself, certainly wasn't super gripping or all that entertaining.

as a non-gamer with no familiarity with the plot, I came to this with an open mind expecting an HBO prestige version of the walking dead. overall i agree that this first ep was not really gripping and i found myself bored at the end.

that said the near universal acclaim does give me hope that it will pick up, and there was enough there for me to keep watching to next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
the weird thing about the fungus outbreak (and the station 11 outbreak also) is that, having been through a global pandemic, its now popular knowledge that a disease, contaminated grain, etc doesn't travel everywhere all at once overnight. having a disease suddenly overtake the entire country/world in a few hours is a little straining on credulity.

its a minor nitpick and i'm genuinely glad that this show isn't (so far) showing zombies as anything more than an aesthetic and environmental hazard. genuinely hoping it's more "the road" and less "walking dead."

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Overall much better episode than the first. Show has legs if it can keep this level of tension up as we go.

The indonesia scene was cool, but I do hope they don't go the route of overexplaining the fantasy mechanics of fungus spread. They've already given too much on this front and I don't want to be scoffing at anymore unrealistic/stupid "science."

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

I have seen that particular criticism come up and I don't think the point of the fungus-expert scenes are there to try and lend scientific credibility to it. Those scenes are about the impending doom and fall of everything, where the people most understanding of what's coming are just 'we are hosed it's all over', along with giving the basic ruleset of how it all works.

... which is something you need for proper tension in a horror/supernatural type setting. That's what makes it scary, when you get how xyz works on some basic level, and you understand the threat towards the characters in various situations once you know those rules. They have spent very little screen time on it if you think about it - a couple intros. And the tone of those isn't 'trust us guys, this is SCIENCE', it's, 'these are the basics you need to know and just how hosed everything is going to be'. Creating legit feelings of impending apocalypse that people can see coming and are trying everything to stop, but are ultimately powerless to do so.

i enjoyed the scene, but there were no "rules" about the world introduced by the indonesian mycologist that we didn't already know from ep 1. we got the tension around the "time to turn" "biting" "rapid spread" etc already.

I feel like the intent of the scene was to introduce a character as a fungus expert, spend time showing us that she is an expert thru conversation and microscope scene, and then to also try to stretch her into a medical professional with the autopsy stuff. basically a roundabout way for a scientific validation of the idea that humanity can't be helped and that the only solution is draconian violence against society.

but guess what - we already knew this because we knew society collapsed and they told us already that there is no cure. even more, episode 2 had a throwaway line from Tess about bombing major cities that got the same point across as the entire prologue in less time.

again - i enjoyed the prologue for what is was and but i didn't have the impression that this added anything to the story we didn't already know. as others have mentioned, they could have taken this and focused on the police chief or defense minister of Indonesia instead of laundering the plot through "science" and it probably would have been more impactful for me.

I would be happy to see more prologues set around the world during the early outbreak, but i hope this is the last science-y exposition one of these.

edit - maybe i'm still shellshocked from Rings of Power, which wasted a lot of time overexplaining mechanics that didn't need it instead of telling a tight narrative. hopefully this doesn't go that way,

Moltke fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 23, 2023

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Chamale posted:

Jurassic Park does an amazing job building up fear of the velociraptors, because every expert who knows anything about them is terrified of these creatures. The movie establishes that in the world of Jurassic Park, everyone knows that velociraptor is a vicious pack hunter that eats man-sized prey, even though in our world velociraptor was the size of a penguin and mostly ate raccoon-like mammals. The Last of Us is doing something similar, establishing that this version of cordyceps is capable of infecting healthy humans and controlling them, unlike in our world. "Scientist warns everyone for decades and then disaster happens" is a well-known trope for a reason.

velociraptors are just plain scary the first time you see them, the same way zombies killing hundreds of people in ep 1 is just plain scary. we don't need this spelled out twice. the science parts of jurassic park were all super generic and dumbed down "dinosaur DNA cartoon" and the actual scientists were more representative of man's (eggheads) hubris, which was a central theme of the movie (life finds a way).

my real point in all this is that i sincerely hope this is the last time for this and we don't end up with a prologue explaining how infested grain is absorbed by the body and how infested saliva is absorbed by the bloodstream, or any other pseudo-scientific exposition of fantasy mechanics.

watching any TV show is an exercise in the suspension of disbelief, especially a zombie show, and the more they focus on midichlorians or whatever, the harder it is for me maintain that suspension and the worse the show

upgunned shitpost posted:

next week I hope it's a libertarian writing an article about mixing fungicide with colloidial silver for usenet.

yes, this

Moltke fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2023

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

It still exists now but 2003 there was extreme Muslim/Islamophobia in the United States. Anything said by these communities was ignored or they were blamed for a lot of things that were going wrong at the time. So, having the plague start in Indonesia means that they might of been ignored by Americans as violent thugs trying to extract something out of the US.

weird thing about this tho, bush era republicans had actually been working against post-9/11 muslim bigotry, and anti-muslim sentiment was actually at a low point by 2003. aside from the massive spike in 2001, you need to go to the 06 midterms, or obama's election in '08 to see when the mask started to slip and islamophobia became mainstream in american politics. george bush is a war criminal (maye he rot in hell) but he regularly denounced islamophobia and this definitely wasn't the zeitgeist in 2003.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

uh as a muslim in the States during that era, let me just say you're completely wrong here.

Thousands of US muslims were rounded up by the government extra-judicially, and the Bush admin worked hard to prosecute and jail others (that are still in Guantanamo) as well.

e: and then there's the Feigl-Ding crack. Let's try to keep politics out of this thread, please.

ok, i'm not here to say your lived experience is incorrect, or to relitigate the bush admin, which was heinously terrible for muslims. but the data, as well as other muslim accounts and quotes from bush, corroborate a very different view of 2003 from the one expressed so far in this thread, which is as far as i'll go with this. again, bush is a monster.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/09/bush-muslims-lip-service-911-attacks.html

Moltke
May 13, 2009
sorry bud, happy to review any data or studies that disagree with the FBI stats and other first person accounts i shared about what life was like in 2003 specifically.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
to try to get back on track, i'm not arguing about the patriot act

I responded to this post about the show, because he was posting about the show:

Mooseontheloose posted:

It still exists now but 2003 there was extreme Muslim/Islamophobia in the United States...

with evidence that supports the statement that violence against muslims was at a post-9/11 low in 2003, and indeed lower than the trump era, which i dont think most people actually realize how much worse its gotten.

the showrunner moved this from 2013 to 2003 presumably for some reason. 2002-2003 bush was desperate to build an international coalition to support his warcrime against Iraq, and was particularly keen to win over Turkey and Saudi Arabia to be able to use their airspace and military bases in the war. He was absolutely pandering to the muslim world after 2001 and at least until the 2006 midterms, when the quiet part got louder, until it became the normal part in 2010 and then the loud part in 2016.

if it was islamophobia they wanted to tap into, better to pick 2001 or 2016. 2003 doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless they are after the international disdain for america of the time period.

Arist posted:

I think it's absolutely insane to suggest that there's no broader islamophobic trend in America a mere two years after 9/11

you're right, there was a broader trend for islamophobia a mere 2 years after 9/11, which was downward

Shageletic posted:

200,000 Muslims beg to differ, buddy.

ok, speak for 200,000 people if you want to, i'm only speaking for the primary sources about 2003 that i've shared.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 24, 2023

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Ersatz posted:

I wonder what moments like those are like for non-gamers. If they don't register as cliches forced by the constraints of a medium, do they come off as clever?

Oh poo poo! They're trapped!

i couldn't stop myself from scoffing when this happened. will get my non-gamer GIRLFFRIEND to watch and see what happens.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
the one thing the phantom menace was missing was a scientist in a white lab coat calming explaining that lasers are dangerous to the audience for 10 minutes. maybe have a few scenes to show how he is an expert on lasers first also?

also, are mammals susceptible to the gungan energy bombs, or just robots? i hope we get a detailed explanation of this at some point.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I would actually liken the jakarta scene to the s1 visit to the CDC made by the protagonists of TWD. The purpose of this is to message to the audience that "science won't save us," but the key difference is that, by that point in TWD, we didn't know that the world had ended or that there was no coordinated response to the zombie outbreak anymore, or that a cure wasn't possible.

This scene was well done and felt impactful, but it came off as unnecessary repetition of obvious facts with nothing new to add and borderline overexplaining. Whether we veer into "too much stupid detail" or not we'll see.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
bush was a dipshit and would have bungled a pandemic perhaps worse than trump, but the messaging would have been slightly less overtly stupid

Moltke
May 13, 2009

this is the non spoiler thread, why are you talking about what the climax is going to be

Moltke
May 13, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

The Road was also pretty recent

the road is so great in part because they don't try to establish silly rules or walk you through the mechanics of how society fell apart. it might as well have been literal magic for all it matters to the plot.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
it was a good one, girlfriend spent the entire time crying her eyes out. it's no white lotus or succession yet, but definitely starting to move up the list for me.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i sort of get it, i generally despise the "shipper" aspect of stories. i genuinely don't care about romance between fictional characters in almost any show. peggie and stan ending up together at the end of mad men? i honestly wish they had skipped this. it's just not my thing, even tho i loved mad men in general.

while i can say that i more or less felt the same about the romance this episode (didnt really care about it), it was still a great episode of a zombie apocalypse show. we almost never see this type of character - the competent survivor - unless it's some sort of parable combined with a heavy handed authoritarian leader providing a sense of security through draconian repression. there was lots of interesting stuff happening, some action, and a little bit of a romance story.

this was an anthology entry to the show, separate from the main plot. Yes, this is different than what we were shown in the first 2 episodes. but it was good TV, and if you're so hung up on the lack of advancement for the main plot that you couldn't enjoy this "tales from the last of us" episode, i don't know what to tell you.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
FEDRA's first issue was setting up the QZ's in the middle of the most zombie impacted parts of the country, its cities. makes no sense.

there clearly aren't that many people left alive tho, based on how boston has been diminished to a single, barely inhabited neighborhood. i'd wager that with population reduction that severe, (generously pegging this at about 10% survival) food and basic supplies (probably even gas) aren't that hard to come by, hence raiders not being a significant threat.

keeping any type of population center from literally killing itself through stupidity (hello ellie going into the mall and bringing infection back with her) is the hard part, and you need to be very vigilant to prevent that. FEDRA gives off strong mall-cop energy to me.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

The probability of this happening is somewhere between never and zero, but I'd go crazy if they made Bloodborne into a TV series or movie.

this is actually in preproduction with HBO

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Eh? You have a source on that?

ehh just a rumor i guess, but i want to believe

Moltke
May 13, 2009
it will be hard to go back to an (inevitably(watch me be proven wrong)) less good version of the road with joel and abbie traveling west this week, unless they do more anthology entries.

honestly a shared setting zombie apocalypse show does sound infinitely more interesting to me now. you can have actual stakes for the characters.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
its a gay forum

Moltke
May 13, 2009
how can you possibly know that something from the game that didn't happen in an episode won't happen in a later episode? just don't compare to the game until the show is done.

frankly i had to stop reading this thread entirely because i was sick of spoilers being inserted by seemingly well-intentioned people who don't know what they don't know.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
it's good but i'm finding myself leaning back towards "why does this exist" post-gay romance episode. its well made but this is like C tier for me in terms of HBO shows.

still head and shoulders above most other TV but i can't say i'm excited to see where this goes or when the next episode will air.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i get it about Joel, he's the mandalorian without any mystery to make him interesting. we found out what motivates him in ep 1 and the show's only attempt at characterizing him in later episodes is to remind the viewer that he couldn't protect his daughter so he's going on a road trip with elle. there's nothing else to him to really connect with. just another wasteland misanthrope.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
where i'm at is that the gay romance episode is going to go down as great because, even if you consider the setting stupid, it was like a classic 1 hour syndicated anthology show, ala twilight zone or crypt keeper or black mirror.

season 1 of TWD was good, i remember enjoying it, but i see nothing new here. the joel/ellie story is boring and none of the side characters they introduced as a crutch are anywhere near ep 3 so far.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

The thread for any zombie show is going to be roughly 30% media illiterate mooks who think the only reason they haven't succeeded at life is that there hasn't yet been a zombocalypse.

the absolute worst is when people stop talking about the show and start posting about posters instead

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Ahhh yes season 1 of the walking dead where a cop dad has to save everyone is much better than this. Truly a sophisticated take.

it literally is. cop dad has a lot more depth than "just some dude" dad and it shows every episode they need to introduce a new character because of this essential problem. joel is just not that interesting.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Source your quotes.

Moltke posted:

the absolute worst is when people stop talking about the show and start posting about posters instead

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Outside of genre-trappings of the settings

where is this show without the "genre trappings of the settings?" they didn't do mad max, the road, or even the postman. this is a zombie show and should be compared to other similar media.

its sort of like how something like a battlestar galactica managed to be its own thing despite being launched as a studio-directed star wars clone. this show is completely derivative and we should be looking to see what it adds, which to me (aside from e3) is not much besides a higher budget.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is every show with zombies in it a zombie show? Like if for some unspeakable reason they made a show out of Zombieland, would you compare it to both of them?

yes, a zombieland show would be comparable to TLOU because it is a zombie show, and it would probably be a more interesting concept than what TLOU is doing (outside of ep3).

Xiahou Dun posted:

Would you compare Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey because they both take place in the 1920’s? Like I’m down to do this but it’s rapidly going to get very silly.

One’s an ensemble survival-horror and the other is a travel drama with one large A story framing occasional self-contained (?) B stories : no poo poo they’re gonna have different pacing.

i'm not sure that i would be comparing boardwalk empire and downton abbey in TLOU thread. i supposed someone could do that if it were relevant.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
gay mr. pamuk deflowering bill and dying of a heart attack the next day

Moltke
May 13, 2009
is there a way we can compare 2 pieces of similar media without being forced to compare things like darth vader and frankenstein? posters itt are hard at work on this epistemological problem

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Except that one guy who thinks everything with zombies is the same genre. He is never going to get what he wants.

it's not controversial to say that zombie apocalypse is a genre except when engaging with a "but mah bideo james show" people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_apocalypse

(hint: the example list includes TLOU, TWD, Zombieland, and everything else you would expect)

originality and novelty are not the only criteria for evaluating entertainment media but they are significant ones for a prestige drama, and this show is not doing well here aside from ep3.

think the second game is great? maybe it is, but i don't know why that matters to criticisms of season 1.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

O cool, you decided who I am* and then cited a loving wikipedia list. However can I face this well-reasoned argumentation.

Well may I interest you in a list that literally does the exact same thing I did as a joke to show you how dumb that is? I can't believe that I didn't even have to change my example.

Do you not know what a setting is? Is that what this is?

*What the hell does "mah bideo james show" mean in this context? I think I played like 2/3rds of the first game when it came out and have barely thought about it since.

the list i shared demonstrates that zombie apocalypse is a genre, lots of people think so, yet this is something that you and the other guy are denying for some reason. i don't even get it, why is this a problem for you?

your list does not demonstrate that the 1920s is a genre uniting downton abbey and boardwalk empire because this is a very, very stupid thing to say or believe

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's also a list of horror films set in academia, a a list of films about/by Mormons and a list of films that almost cast Bill Murray but didn't.

Boy am I glad that we decided to make wikipedia the final arbiter of art. It's really good to know it's in such safe hands.

again, you are confusing lists of settings with a list of genres, which are not synonymous, and this is very very stupid

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. So if we have the exact same source how does it totally prove your point while disproving mine.

ok, you can keep running on this crazy train to deny reality. zombie apocalypse is a genre. let me know if you come up with a grand way to unify downton abbey and boardwalk empire in the next thread about either of those shows.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

you're right, they're not synonymous, which is why it's weird that you're confusing them anyway

Zombie apocalypse is a genre of fiction in which society collapses due to overwhelming swarms of zombies. Typically only a few individuals or small bands of survivors are left living. In some versions, the reason the dead rise and attack humans is unknown, in others, a parasite or infection is the cause, framing events much like a plague. Some stories have every corpse rise, regardless of the cause of death, whereas others require exposure to the infection.

i guess if i'm confused and this really is just a setting, then a lot of other people must be too. weird

Moltke
May 13, 2009
ok, because the 3 criteria listed in that article for the "genre trappings of the setting" for genre "zombie apocalypse" are all met by TLOU. i guess i'm just a stupid moron who doesn't have a brain big enough to mash boardwalk empire and downton abbey together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

Anyway, I'm like half sure this is just a really low-effort troll because citing Wikipedia genre descriptions in a forum argument is just remarkably lazy. Like, you haven't even meaningfully defined "genre," which makes sense because you keep misapplying that word.

what you're describing is a genesis fallacy, and is not an argument against the reality that zombie apocalypse is a genre, whether you like it or not

i will not spoonfeed you anymore - perform a basic google search on your premise, instead of bad-faith argumentation, and see how many other "sources" state that zombie apocalypse is a genre

you not liking wikipedia doesn't change reality