Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tiggum posted:

So, aside from the corruption, what was the corruption? :confused:

It was that. That's what I was referring to. That scene wasn't there by mistake. You are supposed to infer things from it.

And that same cop later threatens to have Joel, Tess and Ellie executed unless they can give him a sufficient bribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

The spoiler thread says that the kid at the start only gets euthanised after returning a positive test to the fungus? Which I totally missed, and if so, is much less brutal/evil than the (still understandable) alternative that they just straight up kill any outsiders seeking sanctuary.

It would probably have been a public execution for coming from the outside rather than a quick needle if she hadn't tested positive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Some of my shirts have the tag info printed on the inside by the neck now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like genuine long takes but when they're filled with really obvious cuts it feels a bit pointless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't even realise the cars were blocking the alley at first and wandered why they didn't simply walk around it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AmbientParadox posted:

Hi thread, new viewer here. I've never played the games, watched any youtube walkthroughs or explanations. I assumed the game / show was like The Road, so the show has been a surprise for me.

However, I am aware that it's based on a game. What I'm wondering is, how close have the scenes mirrored the games? For example in ep2, The museum felt like a stealth mission in the game like I was getting flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid. Did the games feature a Colonial America museum level? It could also be the case that I'm reading too much into this and seeing patterns where none exist.

The museum bit was straight from the game. Pretty much all of the scenes in episode 2 are at least partially inspired by something from the game except the Indonesia opening which was entirely new.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah different families are different. There's no reason at all middle aged brothers can't be close.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Joel picks up that dish of last meal, that can't be more than 1 week old.

Bill really should have dig a grave and figure out a way to bury Frank and himself together. Die on the bed out in the open will attract all kind of fry and bugs and wild animals.

He probably liked the idea of dying in Frank's arms a lot more than he cared about what happened after that. Who gives a poo poo if a squirrel eats your corpse? It's the apocalypse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Walking Dead game could've make an ok show but that brand is forever tainted - and the setup is way too similar to TLOU which got in there first.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

deoju posted:

Speaking of gun noobs, Sam's gun wasn't fully loaded. I have to think that was a deliberate artistic choice rather than an error since kids with guns was adressed earlier in the episode.

Couldn't he just not have that many bullets?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't get what makes her a Karen other than the fact she's a woman.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah once they set up the QZs in the most convenient places and locked them down it would've been next to impossible to move them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stoatbringer posted:

So that's probably going to be Saturday on NOW TV in the UK.

Unlikely. I just checked and Sky Atlantic is showing it 2am Monday as normal.

Bonkers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m guessing the ogre zombie was a final boss in the game?

More like a miniboss that turns up occasionally. The game doesn't really have bosses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Also they were not being conservative with that writing paper at all. One of my fav details from ep 1 was Joel saying “and I need the bag back”.

You mean the reusable magnet paper? It's like an etch-a-sketch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes, I picked up that the infected were attracted to the explosion, but having them suddenly tunnel up through the earth like a scene from Tremors was ridiculous. And it wasn't like the group of them was quiet in the tunnels.

I got the impression that FEDRA actually did clear out the tunnels Joel etc went through - but they weren't entirely wiped out, they just moved on to the sewers/tunnels outside the main city.

I don't get what was ridiculous about them coming out of the big hole in the ground. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Rox posted:

I really enjoyed this ep and the series so far, but yeah there were a few annoying cliches. Maybe it’s just impossible to avoid them?

I think at least twice now there’s been a big fight scene and then the protagonists are safe once they get 50m away. It happened after Tess died too.

Like maybe the big bloater dude and/or crazy soccer mom chase them across the old bridge out of town but the bridge collapses.

But yeah it’s a tv show about zombies I’m happy! Kids die all the time Henry!

You see the horde head for the city - which makes sense since it'll be the loudest, biggest place nearby. Four people running the other way probably wouldn't really register to them in all the chaos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

We only have Henry's word on that. And we never see anything of FEDRA in KC - all we see is actual FEDRA getting horrifically brutalised on the night of the uprising. I'm not saying "FEDRA are perfect angels," I'm saying "there are better ways of telling this story if this is the point you're trying to make."

If anything Henry's more likely to downplay what FEDRA did since he sold people out to them. Why would he exaggerate that?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So just out of curiosity, does leukemia medicine work like that? Take one dosage or whatever and poof cured? Or was Sam still a dead man walking but had a few extra months?

I’m guessing it’s the latter but it would be cool if some leukemia drug could treat it if caught early or something.

Yeah I was wondering that too. It was all pretty vague but I didn't get the impression that he'd bought him loads of time - or that they had any medicine left by the time we saw them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NmareBfly posted:

Thinking of child zombies, it's a little weird to me that ol' cordy appears to arrest aging in addition to all the other things it does. Makes sense in other zombie media because they're... dead but here I'd think the body itself would keep on sprouting.

This is a similar line of thought to all the other holes in zombie fiction but I'm not really complaining, just an interesting point. Do the rage zombies in 28 days later age?

I don't know the actual answer but surely the child Clicker could've been infected a year ago when she was a slightly younger child.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Also Kathleen’s “sympathetic revenge towards a character we like” angle was also GAME STUFF

Yo wrong thread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Rox posted:

Ha well yeah of course, cause the more seasons they do the more money they make!

Nah it would legit be a bad idea to try to cram it into one season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LLSix posted:

I thought the same thing, but it can't have been earlier than 3 years ago when FEDRA drove all the local infested underground. Which is long enough as a zombie to wrap back around to the same question of if zombie's age or not.

There's nothing to suggest Ish's playroom/base is that old though is there? She could have come from there or anywhere else and ended up underground with the rest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

In which case I don't understand how everybody isn't just wearing rags. I certainly don't have a single piece of clothing that's been regularly worn and lasted longer than 7 or 8 years max.

Yeah but there are billions of dead people's clothes lying around for the taking so it's not hard to come by new ones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah the spoiler thread is pretty positive overall and seems to like the show a lot more than this thread. It's just full of open discussion of both games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The most successful movie in cinemas on Outbreak Day was Welcome to the Jungle starring The Rock and Sean William Scott. A few days before it was Underworld. Poor fuckers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ilmucche posted:

There's been a bunch of series that do this, why is that? Not pro/against the idea just curious as to why it happens like that

I think it mostly just comes down to how much work it'd be to direct more than a few hour long episodes at once. Each episode is like directing half a movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

General Dog posted:

The last scene is an ending so good that they probably should've just let it be.

Yeah I was really against the idea of the game having a sequel because the ending is completely perfect. I was glad to be proven wrong though, TLOU2 is great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hollismason posted:

Its also kind of weird that they had the doctor just ready to go at a moments notice and were just waiting around for Joel I guess to show up since he was several months late.

I mean they were in a hospital. He probably does other stuff there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoutPatrol posted:

Thinking a bit, not sure how a cure would stop 4-5 zombies trying to rip your head off.

I suppose the idea is that there are only 4-5 zombies and they don't get any more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

Watching the show without playing the game can't possibly give one the impression that infected are some constant threat, more like just a lurking horror that prevents access to certain areas and nothing more

Nah if most of the country was wiped out by fungus zombies that could be anywhere and everywhere outside of specified safe zones (which are only safe until they aren't) I'd consider them a constant threat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It wasn't a murder grenade, just some knock out gas or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The last of us... the last of us never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Can I play the second game having watched the TV show? From all the discussion in here it seems like it stayed pretty drat close to what was in the first game, but I dunno, would I be missing anything about the plot?

You'd probably be fine .There'd probably be some gameplay references you don't pick up, and it might hit different having experienced the first part of the story with different actors.