Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
THE AWARD-WINNING BIG-BUDGET SPECTACULAR RETURNS FOR THE 2023 THEATER SEASON, FOR

F O U R ( I S H ) - ~ - N I G H T S - ~ - O N L Y!!!
code:
  .g8"""bgd  `7MM"""YMM  `7MN.   `7MF'      .g8"""bgd   .g8""8q.   `7MN.   `7MF'
.dP'     `M    MM    `7    MMN.    M      .dP'     `M .dP'    `YM.   MMN.    M  
dM'       `    MM   d      M YMb   M      dM'       ` dM'      `MM   M YMb   M  
MM             MMmmMM      M  `MN. M      MM          MM        MM   M  `MN. M  
MM.    `7MMF'  MM   Y  ,   M   `MM.M      MM.         MM.      ,MP   M   `MM.M  
`Mb.     MM    MM     ,M   M     YMM      `Mb.     ,' `Mb.    ,dP'   M     YMM  
  `"bmmmdPY  .JMMmmmmMMM .JML.    YM        `"bmmmd'    `"bmmd"'   .JML.    YM  
GEN CON INDY: THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN ANGRILY POSTING ONLINE ABOUT HOW YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW ARE NOT ATTENDING THIS YEAR DUE TO THE DRACONIAN VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

Making this thread is one of my favorite uses for the Internet every year, even as it becomes increasingly clear that really we do lots of our talking on the year-round EDITED AGAIN TO UPDATE LINK Gen-Con Goons Discord group (just post to annoy me if this link stops working) that you should totally join if you have not yet. Especially if you basically do not use Discord, given that I logged onto it like once every few weeks until this group really got rolling.

Assuming that everyone reading this is familiar with Gen-Con is A MISTAKE, as I learn every year when someone surprisingly pops into the thread as a first-time attendee to say thanks for the information and the nonsense and, presumably, the warm welcome! Last year's Shots Wednesday felt like the biggest gathering of Goons I have been seen anywhere but a literal GoonCon, and if we did not make it so clear here that we really are overwhelmingly polite and welcoming that might not have been possible! Hooray!

But I am out of energy already, just gonna let ChatGPT handle it from here

Hmm that was entirely too generic, I bet we can do better

Oh no. Yeah, I am definitely no longer needed

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= WHAT IS GEN CON, DR. QUAREX??? =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Formally known as the BEST FOUR DAYS OF GAMING, but really the BEST FIVE DAYS OF RELIABLE JOY IN THIS INSANE WORLD. Indianapolis becomes the closest thing there is to a Gaming City from about Tuesday night to Monday morning that one week every year, and you absolutely owe it to yourself to attend if you can.

You really will find nearly any game you are into playing here, if you look hard enough. I am not going to pretend every system you have ever heard of is being run, but there is a good chance if you ran a game nobody had played in 30 years that you would still get a full table of players willing to give Homebrew Rambo 1991 or whatever a shot. poo poo I just learned about crokinole a few years back when someone was randomly running a world championship tournament for it! Gen Con is the purest and grandest celebration of gaming, gaming ephemera, and the GAMING LIFESTYLE that you are ever going to find.

Then comes the turn: and I basically never even have time for gaming because there is so much else going on. The Auction and its amazing plethora of great deals on nerd goods old and new(ish) has slowly occupied more of my time at the convention since 2003, when I went from making fun of people who spent all their time bidding on horse racing boardgames, to now when I would be downright delighted if a horse racing boardgame popped up (it helps that I realized in the interim that horse racing boardgames represent 0.01% of the total stock and I just happened to walk in at a very bad time in 2003).

:siren: BUT FIRST A BREAK FOR THE SPOILERS! :siren:

Here are some of the many things our experts can confirm, despite their occurrence at Gen-Con 2009, will not be occurring for you at Gen-Con 2023

Conversely, you are guaranteed to experience the following recurrent events from Gen-Con 2009:

* Bij

OH but yeah like, there are so many side quests happening outside the ticketed gaming events that are ostensibly the biggest draw alongside the Exhibit Hall. Oh, the Exhibit Hall; yeah, after a brief downturn in size in 2021 it is already back to its 2019 juggernaut enormity, where you virtually cannot see one end of the hall from the other, and it would probably take you an entire day or more if you genuinely wanted to look at the stuff every booth was selling.

And there are many more attention-grabbing events to discuss, as there are absolutely people who vouch for attending in large part for watching the Cosplay Parade or competitions, participatory ridiculousness like Dub That Hentai, professional advice in Author's Avenue, the inspired trash-to-temple building aesthetic of Cardhalla, the absurdity of hearing everyone near you at a restaurant talking about their character, the sheer terror of being chased down the street by a mob yelling at you about their character, or even just the pure party vibe* exemplified by the perpetual Georgia Street food-trucks-and-alcohol corridor right next to the convention center.

*That said, I have been to Dragon Con now, and I appreciate Gen-Con is basically a church lock-in compared to Dragon Con's authentic recreation of Saturnalia.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

In this vaguely reservedish post in case somehow there is anything relevant to put here later, here are all the previous iterations of this, or similar, threads:

Archives needed:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Forgotten Goon Meets Thread: Whydirt Kicks Us Off! Also mentions a deleted? previous thread from that year; can moderators see those threads?: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=278795452
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt~ #1: Please Sir, Please Help Me Obtain A Hotel Room
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt #2: Hero Lab Seriously Existed In 2003?
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #1: Rhandhali Tries
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #2: A Second Rhandhali Post Has Hit The Forums
Gen Con Indy 2004: Actually Just A Thread About An NPR Story On Gen Con
Gen Con SO CAL(!) 2004: This Does Not Mean It Was Real!
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #1: Space Pope, Over And Out
Gen Con Indy 2005 Computer Game Interview Request Thread In Games Proper: Ends With A Milwaukeean's Lament
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #2: Three. Posts.
Gen Con Indy 2005: ANOTHER Goon Meets thread I missed before!
Gen Con Indy 2006: Vaguely Resembling A Successful Thread
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of: Quarex Seeks to Understand the Differences Between Gen Con, Origins, and DragonCon Like Some Pathetic Churl
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of, Redux: Seorin Wants Spoilers
Gen Con Indy 2008: Truly The Saddest Official Thread Ever
Gen Con Paris 2009: Did Not Actually Happen
Gen Con Indy 2009: Perhaps The Third-Saddest Official Thread
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #1: Title Mocking Indiana, Thread Bad
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #2: Title Also Mocking Indiana, Thread Also Bad; Coincidence?
Gen Con Indy 2011 Just Posts About A D&D Tournament There, Really
Gen Con Indy 2012: Indianapolis Utterly Destroyed By Great Chicago Fire of 1871
Gen Con Indy 2013: Gen Con Relocates To Villedor For Better Downtown Hotel Coverage

Archives no longer needed:
Gen Con Indy 2014: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2015 and Gen Con 2015 Part Two: 2016: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2017: Celebrating 50 Glorious Years Of Final Chapters
Gen Con Indy 2018: Gen Con Indy Final: The Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2019: Includes a brief history of Gen Con in the first post, if you are into that kind of thing
Gen Con Indy 2020: The Less Said The Better
Gen Con Indy 2021: No Auction Means No Memories
Gen Con Indy 2022: Yes Auction Means Yes Memories!

So topical!

Every convention advice section seems of dubious use these days; I mean, they are still fun to think about, but if anything you want to bring as little as possible to a convention in my opinion. If you have whatever chargers and medicine you need for whatever devices and maladies plague you, you are basically set already. I do still want to throw out the general advice list for things not everybody necessarily thinks through:

• You will probably end up walking at least 5 miles a day at the convention. If you are not used to walking, oh boy, this will suck. I still remember my feet feeling like they were on fire by Sunday my first year.
  • It gets less pertinent every year, but BRINGING CASH will still potentially save you some money, especially if you buy things from the Auction or any of the other few vendors where they add credit card fees to the total if you pay with cards. Plus even in the era of Venmo, CashApp, and Cocainestr it is sometimes hugely helpful to be able to toss your share of the cost of dinner down and run to your next event
  • Also your cards may well be locked for fraud when you purchase things from vendors located on three different parts of the country in a span of ten minutes, so you might need to tell them you are travelling.
  • Some variant of the 5/3/1 or 6/2/1 or whatever rule, where you have to sleep 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1/1 showers every day in order to stay sane and keep those around you sane. I usually skip lunch and just stuff myself with granola bars to avoid spending 90 minutes in line at a food truck missing valuable Exhibit Hall time though
  • If you are the kind of person who ever gets cold in air-conditioned spaces, you will need to be prepared for that. During the day it is usually pretty temperate in the convention center, but both at hotels and in the evenings when the herds thin out and the air conditioning can actually keep up, it can indeed be a little cold.

THAT WILL DO IT FOR ME THIS YEAR EVERYBODY!

If you have any questions about how things are likely to go, obviously ask them here or in the Discord and probably I will leap over myself to answer them as quickly as humanly possible. And thanks as always to Torrent for the thread title collaboration; I think we might already be hot on the trail of 2024's at this point

Badges go on sale at this link THIS SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, at :siren: NOON EASTERN, 11 A.M. CENTRAL! :siren:
PRESUMABLY :siren: 10 MOUNTAIN AND 9 PACIFIC! :siren:
I HAVE A FRIEND IN ALASKA NAMED FRANCESCA, I THINK IT WILL BE LIKE 4 A.M. THERE FOR HER, I SHOULD CHECK!
ACTUALLY YOU KNOW I HAVE ONLY TALKED TO HER A FEW TIMES THIS YEAR, I REALLY SHOULD TRY HARDER TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT JUST ON THE GEN-CON DISCORD.
THE IMPORTANT THING FOR FRIENDSHIP IS TO MAKE A REAL AND HONEST EFFORT, YOU KNOW?
WHAT ELSE CAN WE TRULY DO IN LIFE BESIDES BE KIND TO THOSE WHO WE LOVE AND ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO BE THE BEST THEY CAN BE? SERIOUSLY.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm going to try my damnedest to not miss this year's convention season.

GENCONNNNNNN
YOU CAN DO IT

GEN-CONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Eastmabl posted:

Shotz. Wednesday.
That is true. Shots Wednesday.

(Goons gather at the Rathskeller, a delightful German restaurant, the Wednesday night of the convention at like 5-6. The Rathskeller is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. At Shots Wednesday you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Shots Wednesday motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.)

Al-Saqr posted:

So how good is Gencon for Warhammer 40k and kill team? I might end up going to england for warhammer fest but america is a very rare trip for me so if I end up going I want to make it include one gaming convention for fun.
Please do not take my never-played-Warhammer-40K answer too seriously but Games Workshop actually started formally attending again for the first time in decades a few years back, so I assume their presence has significantly beefed up as a result? We would certainly be honored to host the great Barnae Al-Sandars amongst our group.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How much are tickets to the old people buffet featured in the OP?
I did not anticipate questions about that so unfortunately I must inform you the cost of entry to that buffet is your grandmother dying during Gen-Con 2009. Granted that is not too high a price to pay retroactively if your grandmother died between 2010 and 2023.

nesbit37 posted:

http://best50yearsingaming.com/

I hope Lou Zocchi makes it out this year to the Gamescience booth. It was a sad booth in 2022 without him being there, and they had a lot less old product and in particular a lot fewer pointy dice.

Very excited for this year. I have been an exhibitor since 2018, but am not doing that this year so I will be attending more like a normal person again this year. I should even have time for some more goon functions for once!
HELL YEAH Nesbit37 returning to action! It is hilarious to think you were the first Goon I actually met as a result of an intentional effort to meet people at Gen-Con, and that was only like ten years ago. And who knows who I would have met first if we had not somehow missed the table of 15 Goons on the other side of Colts Grille for the first hour (R.I.P.)

Agreed that I hope Lou makes it one more time, even though I cannot stress enough how shocked I am that he is still alive given how much he had seemingly gone downhill by Gen-Con 2019 when I last saw him. Though I did hear I had just missed him at Gary Con 2022, so clearly he recovered at least a bit from his low point in 2021. As name-dropping-Mudcrab-Merchant again mentioned, it is shocking someone in frail health can survive the hot-as-an-oven vendor setup day given even young people sometimes nearly or actually pass out

Back to you enjoying the convention, I anticipate you in a monocle and your Auction bidder card taped to an ornate auction paddle at the crème de la crème session. Oh my god I just realized I absolutely have to buy a bunch of auction paddles to hand out to people at Shots Wednesday this year, thanks for the idea me. You are welcome, me! Ugh, me is really overrated, but do not tell me me said that.

CellBlock posted:

Scrolling down your OP, when I got to the part about "these are things from old Gen Con that will be back" I was expecting pictures of people passed out on floors.

To anyone new, that's another fun game of the con, finding people who just couldn't go forward anymore. (It doesn't really count if they're in a chair or something; they gotta be just like face down on the floor.)
The champion photo example being the one ... Mudcrab Merchant? took?, and of course by this I mean BOTTOM LINER

WerrWaaa posted:

I'll be there with Magic cards and a Kill Team. Looking forward to games and drinks and spending too much money. I cannot say for certain how much time I will have to ditch my Hoosier friends for Goon friends but it'll happen more than once.
I did like your Hoosier friends but yes I got so accustomed to spending time with you 24/7 at Origins that it was SUCH A SHOCK that you barely existed at Gen-Con. Not that I could claim I was any more available really

Also 8one6 how old is the Abraham Lincoln picture? I know that is RUSTY BAWLS, and I have not seen him for ages there, but that does not mean too much given how often I am sequestered for most of the day at the Auction. Though I just Goog'd his name and one of the first results was someone on the Gen-Con Forums in 2017 asking why he had not been back for years, so yeah probably just died of stilt-related causes

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 25, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bottom Liner posted:

Wow. Friendship ended buddy.
As soon as I posted that I was like "O.K. this is not right but now I cannot remember which of two people took it I will just let chaos sort this out"

(I probably could have checked in a previous thread, too; just shoddy work overall by me)

nesbit37 posted:

I can’t imagine showing up to an auction dressed like Mr. Monopoly would be a good bidding strategy. I mean, on one hand people might look at you and assume you are going to win whatever you want so why bother bid against you. But on the other hand people might just bid you up because they can. I reminded of that guppy guy I saw at Game Hole Con this year.

That said I definitely want to spend some good time in the auction this year. We’ll have to see what my collecting goals are around Gen Con time this year. Last year I succeeded in getting a copy of every game Guidon Games put out. I already have everything but some of the rarest of rares for OD&D, basic D&D and AD&D. Maybe I should go threw Appelcine’s books again and focus on some of those smaller companies stuff.

I think the things I would be most excited about gathering this year are zines, but I don’t know how often those come up in the auctions. I would also want large runs of the zines and just an issue or two out of the whole series, so who knows.
Maybe if I show up dressed as Mr. Monopoly instead that will put everyone at ease, knowing the items are in good hands

Zines have been fairly consistent over the years in my recollection, but not necessarily in a terribly exciting way; like, a handful of cool intriguing stuff in the collector's section and a handful of 'zines nobody has ever heard of in the RPG section. But of course every year has weird trends with the less-common items, so you just never know when somebody will show up looking to unload their entire collection.

Your having everything Guidon Games put out sounds amazing, so clearly you should yeah as you say work on finding new categories of older rare stuff in the less-absurdly-valuable areas to collect. I wonder if Hasbro trying to tank D&D as a brand will result in any changes to collector prices for the old stuff? Probably not.

Cithen posted:

2022 was supposed to be my first Gen Con, but I got COVID a couple of days beforehand. Maybe this year...
Are you in THE DISCORD??? I do not think I remember us pouring out a sympathy beverage for anyone. Definitely hope you can make it this year!!! WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I think ... I ... want ... to sit in it from open to close each day, that’s ... much plus .... At least I ... must ... like ... games....
Good point, I feel the same way.

Anyone have any suggestions for a rectangular (horizontal) image that has Gen Con Vibes(tm) without being covered by intellectual property laws?

Indianapolis' skyline is not really distinctive enough to work in my opinion (apologies to the thousands of Indianapolis locals reading this)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am partial to this pic of the exhibitors floor from 1987:

Someone, whoever took the original photo (a Barbara Young), owns the copyright. It was taken by a fan not someone for TSR or some other company. So I guess it depends what you are concerned about. Is this for a facebook group or something?
Well that is fantastic but no, it is for printing on a physical object, so that would definitely not be a great choice, even though it is a magnificent picture. I should have been clearer, though I am quite glad to have this photo in my life so I am glad I was not clearer until just now

Cithen posted:

I was/am, but I don't remember sharing it at the time.
Fair enough. Well we will save a spot for you at Shots Wednesday! In the sense that they have just given up and started giving us the entire unoccupied ballroom space, and even though there were, like, what, a good 60 of us there last year, we still only had the space about 1/4 full

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
!!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Imagine buying your badge before you’re actually traveling to indi
How did you attend in 2017-2019???

Today we discovered just how active the official Gen-Con Forums actually could be when there were like ~75 posts in five minutes from VIGs unable to buy their badges, which is about 50 more posts than there have been in the rest of January.

Then they deleted all the overlapping threads :mad: yet they somehow cannot seem to set up even a basic system to catch the constant stream of Spam accounts/posts

LET THE RECORD SHOW HOW DUMB IT IS THAT EVEN VIGS HAD A QUEUE FOR HOTELS

oh anyway
Again make sure to EDIT: UPDATED LINK join the Gen-Con Goons Discord
but also post your insane screeds or questions here

Like "why do we go on attending in the years since Sugarfire Smokehouse closed in Indianapolis?"

Well, there may be one near you, just check the webpage for their store locator and hope for the best

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

I wound up missing Gen Con 2017 because my wife wanted me home to mind the baby. She eventually gave permission in early August, long after badges had sold out.
Having a baby during Gen-Con 2016 was definitely the only thing short of catastrophic illness or injury that I imagine will lead to me missing the glory until such time as I die and my body fuses with the Indiana Convention Center.

Plus missing that convention led to me telling my father about that and him telling me for the first time that I was born the weekend he was going to be the keynote speaker at a conference in Sweden, an opportunity he certainly never had again as far as I know. Truly, missing that was exactly the same level of meaningful as me missing "doing T.O.V.A. one of many years"

Ilor posted:

I sometimes feel this way about Haveli.
I am nearly positive I learned about Haveli from your posts originally so you can at least feel good that you did your best to help it remain. I cannot really imagine it closed due to lack of business given how busy it always was, but I also do not understand restaurant economics

CellBlock posted:

Primanti's is good, but was only there for one con, I think.

I went to Nevermore last year, and between how that went and what reviews are looking like now; I don't see them sticking around very long.
But it sounds like it was designed SPECIFICALLY FOR OUR GROUP TO ALL FIND SOMETHING TO ENJOY if they have coffee and drinks and gaming!

...so looking at their webpage it seems they have dropped coffee from their concept since opening. And I also now see the string of 1-star reviews. Wow, fantastic! Reminds me of the only 1-star review I ever left, of Piratz Tavern (years before it was on Bar Rescue might I add), where we repeatedly walked from the front to the back of the restaurant for 10 minutes and never once saw anyone working there to talk to. Restaurants that do not actually want to be open are really the most amazing kind of business

8one6 posted:

I miss the Indian buffet that was in Indy. It was close enough to walk but just far away enough that it wasn't packed during the con.
That was Haveli, unless there was another Indian buffet we tragically lost recently.

Haveli and Claddagh were absolutely, at different times in my years of attending, the Food Rock around which all relaxation and planning seemed to emanate, as I went to each of them more than once at least one year. And then both turned to trash and closed. O.K. Haveli probably did not turn to trash but it sure did close.

Harry & Izzy's is the only nearby restaurant I would go to bat for these days, and it certainly seems like it will stick around. Well Patachou, but I always feel like if you have to pay for breakfast you are doing it wrong

WAIT and Fat Rooster if it survives yet another year

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Patachou is certainly good enough that I might intentionally get to Indianapolis in the morning before checking in to my hotel just to eat there and have it make sense

Al-Saqr posted:

Gen con is probably the only good thing about Indiana tbh
I mean it is definitely the best thing, but it would be my favorite thing about any state so that is not saying much.

That said, Indiana does not do much to inspire politically certainly. And as an Illinoisian I am required to have always thought it was a wannabe Illinois.

Apparently Bloomington is the cool hip part of Indiana but until they have a convention there I am never going to know

kirtar posted:

It should given that it's just a branch of St. Elmo's.
Well yeah but that did not save Burger Study! Granted it did not literally share a kitchen with St. Elmo's which probably helped it be less sustainable. I am just glad I got to have the Stranger Things burger before it closed, especially since it confirmed even great ingredients cannot fully make up for a burger being between two Eggo waffles

nesbit37 posted:

I feel like Gen Con is lacking good restaraunts these days. Or at least places I liked. Primanti Bros and the RAM are both gone now, as is Scotty's. I don't think any of them have suitable replacements within walking distance of the con. Good Wood is ok but I liked everything about the Ram better.
Some municipal database surely has the answers I seek but I really do wonder if Indianapolis lost significantly more restaurants than average in the last few years. That a few of our favorites closed in 2019 is really the thing that makes me wonder if there were other big factors in play besides the pandemic. Iremember reading claims about riots playing a role in destabilizing downtown; likely hyperbolic, but perception feeds reality and all.

Honestly until I started going to Origins again I did not realize how dire the situation was in Indianapolis, as in Columbus the existence of North Market alone functionally means there are as many good places to eat at Origins a block from the convention center as there are in Indianapolis within easy walking distance at all, not to mention all the other good restaurants within a few blocks there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I just hope either better restaraunts open or the currents one improve by Gen Con this year. I tried the perogi truck last year, and I should have known better because they didn’t list prices, but it was $25 for 3 very overly cooked and kind of cold perogis. Maybe some of the other trucks were better quality but i bet all of them except Island Noodles were just as expensive.
The food trucks are so infuriating to me, as they are seemingly busy at all times and there is barely any covered eating space and I am NOT GOING TO STAND THE gently caress IN THE SUN IN INDIANA IN AUGUST

Capfalcon posted:

Discord link is dead.
INCONCEIVABLE

I will edit the old links to this one I am making RIGHT NOW:

Join the Gen-Con Goon Hivemind

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

Welcome to the Midwest.

Ilor posted:

Last year's vaccine+mask mandate was great. Kept all the chuds and idiots away.
It does seem like a decent chunk of shitfucks have been permanently disillusioned from thinking Gen-Con is for them due to several decisions made over the past decade, obviously including the vaccine and mask mandate but also unforgivable sins like having Anita Sarkeesian as an invited guest and claiming a zero-tolerance policy for harassment (how well enforced that is is a matter of interpretation but certainly it seems like their policies are often about the best you can get). Oh and formally banning Dungface Bigmad and Literal Rapist. No need to investigate who I am talking about if you do not know already (should be obvious from their legal names that I just used).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just posted this in the Discord but I am so excited about this I want to post it here too

An on-site 1974 Gen-Con news story! A couple of statements from Gary Gygax and some people ROLLIN' DICE

https://uwmarchives.tumblr.com/post/624829404569288704

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

216A posted:

It’s an archetypical small hippyish college town. It’s nice but in no way different than any of the other ones in every state.

As a fairly long term Indianapolis resident, the loss of the convention trade/sports affected the restaurants on that side of downtown pretty crushingly.

In a similar vein the restaurants in that area are ones pointed to the same trade, so nothing that stands out at best. I live/work downtown and other than the occasional trip to ST Elmo’s there is nothing that I ever go to in the area.
216A, you are the gatekeeper of all missing Indianapolis knowledge, thank you for this (also that makes sense about Bloomington, I am sure I have been to a town just like that one dozens of times then, not that this makes it bad)

Do you mean the loss of convention/sports largely in the pandemic sense? Certainly that must be a big part of it but I imagine there is more going on there

St. Elmo's really is great, and if it and Harry & Izzy's disappeared I would genuinely not know what to even do with myself while there. I guess I would still dutifully go to the Old Spaghetti Factory and Fat Rooster once each but that leaves a pretty big gap, especially when I am there for 7 days. Oh wait Kuma's Corner for pre-convention days!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nashona posted:

i was trying to remember what those 2 restaurants were, and then I was, oh right, am vegetarian.
I literally cannot imagine what a vegetarian even does during Gen-Con other than bring food from home

I guess vegans would have an even bigger problem, as I have had just pasta and cheese a few times. Though most of those places are gone, too

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

216A posted:

I think the loss of the conventions and sports started the trend. I know catering numbers shot up when those things did come back in an attempt to limit exposure. Many people were and still are convinced that downtown Indianapolis is now like Beirut 1980 and they have lost a lot of the suburban diners.

There are a lot of great places fairly close, particularly if you have a rental car. Bluebeard and Milktooth over in the Fountain Square area are amazing. Hinata is the best semi-formal Japanese food I’ve had away from the West Coast, though reservations are needed months ahead. If you are willing to drive further afield, the southern suburbs have a surprisingly amount of great Burmese/Hmong places due to post-Vietnam resettlement policies.

It’s still impossible to get a good pierogi but there are some ok kreplach.
Kreplach knowledge increased!

What you say makes sense about people thinking downtown Indianapolis is a terrifying place; over the last few years I have seen a few threads on either the official forums or Facebook (probably both) where locals are like "I won't ever go down there except for Gen-Con anymore, it's not safe!!!" and other locals are like "literally what in the hell are you talking about"

Bluebeard and Milktooth definitely used to be on the list of good Indianapolis restaurants I maintained in the yearly post, but basically as Nesbit37 and BlackIronHeart got at nobody is wandering outside the immediate radius of the convention center by Thursday morning, and Wednesday evening is Rathskeller Time which means for most people in this thread there is really no opportunity to explore elsewhere. This definitely might be my Milktooth year though!!! Though Hinata sounds awfully tempting. I did love Burmese food the one time I ever had some in the D.C. suburbs, as I did not realize I needed "kind of Indian and kind of Chinese" in my life.

Unrelated if anyone is ever in Seattle you have to go to Pam's Kitchen because Trinidadian food is like Indian-Mexican and is also magnificent

Fellis posted:

I’ve never eaten at any place in the ICC nor at any of the food trucks. I went to the food court in the mall once lol
No shame there, I am still sad I never ate at CUP OF CORN

They used to have a genuinely delicious Italian restaurant in the basement of the mall (well the pizza was good I do not know if the normal food was), yet another of the many restaurants I was sad to see disappear in the last decade

Dammit why am I not in Indianapolis already

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am not planning to run any events this year, but if I was and wanted people to mask I’d probably just walk away from the table and refuse to run it someone showed up and refused to put a mask on after being asked. I don’t see any other good solutions that don’t involve sitting their awkwardly with a dick for 4 hours.
Agreed, I hope this is pretty much how it goes precisely so Bottom Liner's point about how they will probably be doing nothing but dealing with mask arguments does not have to come true.

Ego Trip posted:

Does buying everything Free League sells count as an event?
Scary Swedish things are of particular interest to me, a scary (3rd generation) Swede

I do yearn for the days when I had competitions to see if I could find and purchase something at the Auction that was hilarious to me and yet that nobody I knew thought was the least bit funny

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Alas. I wish we had picked up another half-dozen Goon VIGs in 2021, I feel like we could cover everybody with a few more rooms

Alternately, we need to make EVEN MORE LASTING FRIENDSHIPS AT SHOTS WEDNESDAY

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That made me think about how part of the VIG issue for hotels having a queue for the first time was that at least some of those 500 people then immediately booked a second room for their Companion, meaning there were more like 750 in line than 500.

That said, it is also weird that their system cannot handle 750 people at once

Page. 4. Snypa.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Welp, that was brutal.
Sorry man. GenConHotels.com will hopefully be your salvation eventually!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Gonna go to Dragon Con dressed as that guy next year

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

That cleared up, I don't know if I will be able to go this year because I made a whole human and now have to take care of it??
So I'm flyin by the seat of my pants to the last minute just like the last two years :smuggo:
Missing so many potential cosplay opportunities if you stay home. Well actually I guess you can still cosplay at home

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone who has sort of left the Gen-Con merchandise orbit since Rollacrit took over for OffWorld Designs, you should know they have finally gotten to the point I thought they should have been at for 20 years, where they release several new things every few months and a lot of it is actually worth contemplating or EVEN BUYING (I pretty much exclusively drink out of Gen-Con branded travel mugs/tumblers at this point)

And they just revealed their SPRING LINEUP

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Beastfucker better be running at LEAST hourly

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not know enough about zeitgeisty pop culture to offer an alternative

Maybe we should go back instead

Beastfucker guy, which "Happy Days" character is most likely to submit to the ritual

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Happy 20th Forums Anniversary to me and my homies CaptainRat and Torrent, at least one of whom has attended Gen-Con with me all 20 times I have gone in-person!

Unhappy nearly 20th Forums Anniversary to Hrothgar, who has rudely only attended like 5 times and only actually gone with me specifically in 1997 and 2021/2022.

Oh and happy 10th anniversary to me making this goddamn thread! Wow look at all the great success everyone

Malört and pizza with pickles on it for all!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh poo poo, my 20th Forumsversary will be Thursday at Gen Con 2024.
You can celebrate by hopefully still being alive after the Malört pickle shots on Wednesday night!

I wish I could be entirely excited about this but somehow it never occurred to me we might be moved out of the convention center entirely. And here I thought being on the 2nd floor was the worst-case scenario.

Admittedly the Auction was at the Conrad? early on in the Indianapolis years, so clearly this is not the kiss of death or anything, but I hope we can have a sign at the old location or something.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah this is definitely gonna be the year to grab all valuable things Thursday morning! And possibly clean up Saturday morning.

Definitely makes me sad that I missed like two huge tubs of stuff that I am sure would have gone for more last year, but it will probably be a good year overall for picking up cool stuff in the live auction phase as well

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How is it only 100 days to go

It was 140 days to go, like, 40 days ago. This just does not add up

I just realized yesterday that my kiddo wanting to go to Indianapolis for the week before his birthday is, in fact, the weekend before Gen-Con, so now I have to decide if I want to amp up my concerning behavior by staying at the same hotel starting the Friday before the convention. I could bring TWO car loads of stuff for the Auction that way! The child can ride on the roof

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theironjef posted:

Another round of us trying to host a game where we don't announce the system until you're at the table and another year of GenCon being dead set against it.
Even though I agree I do not understand how you would list this in a system set up primarily to be searched by types, I do love this. Particularly since the only truly successful campaign I ever ran was one where everyone played for 30 minutes before I handed out the Call of Cthulhu character sheets and the noise they made in response was exquisite

Also in 2003 I stayed at the Homewood Suites Indianapolis North and it was such a pleasant place that I stayed there again occasionally over the years, like, not for Gen-Con but just when in the area. The commute certainly could have gotten worse but it really is not as huge a deal to drive in to Indianapolis like it is in some other cities

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I will never understand why one of those locker companies doesn’t set up shop at GenCon like they do at furry cons
Imagine central lockers in the convention center for your heavy crap that you can just scoop up at bed time or when leaving the con seriously they would make so much money
MUH 9/11 AL-QAEDA

I know Gen-Con literally said the lockers were removed for security, but that was like 15 years ago and I cannot fathom there is no way they could revisit it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sounds like a good test session for that proposed campaign world Frank Mentzer was going to do with mechanics for 7 systems simultaneously listed

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Paranoid Dude posted:

Howdy, Gen Con enjoyers, I'm thinking about making the voyage this year. I have a bit of time this August off and some disposable income to spend on little plastic guys and tomes. This'll be my first major con out-of-state.

Other than not pass out on the floor, what are some things you wish you knew your first Gen Con (or, really just first major Con at all)?
Welcome, Paranoid Dude! Would you like to come chat in our Discord where everyone can constantly watch and plot about you?

Awesome to hear too; we all (every human) had a first Gen-Con and doing our best to thinking back to how unprepared we were the first time is always zany.

I definitely wish I had known that there is so much going on that filling your schedule with ticketed events is likely to be a bad idea unless your attendance is specifically tied to a desire to play something only available at the convention, in which case obviously who am I to interfere with that? But like, sure, maybe make sure you have a few events booked once the events list goes live and pick up some generic tickets, but between the Exhibit Hall, Auction/Consignment Store, and Goon meet-ups for food, drinking, gaming, or donuts, you can easily get to Sunday without touching the formal event apparatus.

Granted the Goon part did not apply when I first went in 1997 but even then there was still so much going on that I wish in hindsight I had only played in one of the games I did, but the only guy I went with who had been before insisted you would want at least 2 events a day 🤮

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just realized my Indianapolis Children's Museum membership does not specify WHAT extra person I bring with me, if anyone wants to spend their time at the Minecraft exhibit instead of Gen-Con it runs until August 6

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

How early you getting in on Wednesday?
So early I will be there the previous Friday. Though that will be for Actual Children's Museum Stuff. I am usually busy all day Wednesday until Shots Aforementioned but you never know

Erainor posted:

Welp theres a GenCon dream. Someone tried to use a giant candelabra to burn down the convention center with us inside it. Luckily the goons put out the fire before Gencon had to be closed.
Thank you for your service.

1) A+ Gen-Con dream, very non-standard yet entirely dream-plausible, as we would totally band together against giant candelabra wielders
2) You reminded me I also had my first Gen-Con dream of 2023 last night, a meta-dream where I was goofing off in my hotel room on Sunday and sent a group text/said out loud and it became a text "oh my god I made so many jokes about forgetting to go to the convention center that I forgot to go to the convention center"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Okkult posted:

I've watched the auction for years; I promised myself that this year, I would participate. How do you sign up to bid on things? I couldn't find any instructions on Gen Con's website.
*slams RED ALERT button*
*papers flying all over the room as Quarex scrambles to answer the question*

It is fortunately a remarkably simple process, as you go up to the long desk (O.K. the long desk setup might be changed since we are in a new location, but it will probably still be on the leftmost side of the room) and tell them you want a bidder card. They have you fill out the back of a card with your name and address, and you give them either $1 for a white bidder card where you pay for items as you win bids, or a $50 deposit for a "tab-style" bidder card, where you can wait until the end of the day to pay for and pick up your hoard.

The $50 used to be fully refundable, and might be this year, though for the past few years it has been a credit towards your purchases rather than a pure deposit.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I respect not everyone is like me, when I paid the $50 for the tab without even understanding it was a deposit. Still remember my profound delight when they gave me that $50 back. Though I then felt like I needed to spend it in some sort of *rolls on random old reference chart* Brewster's Millions shenanigans

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bruxism posted:

Anyone have any favorite events or pet projects to recommend? Going to go ahead and disappoint you all by saying up front that I have no interest in the auction.
I spent my first year after checking out the Auction making fun of how dumb it was. Then the next year I brought somebody new with me to laugh at it and kind of enjoyed it. Two years later I was already into my friends asking "oh my god are you going to do anything BUT attend the Auction?" territory

I mean there is a reason I am not even looking at the events list this year. There is no point. Between the Exhibit Hall, Auction, and Goon meetups I know every waking moment is already filled

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

Officially going to be at GenCon!!!! Just got my exhibitor badge today :D
YOU DID IT

Also

theironjef posted:

Sweet, my Sentinels and Dallas games both sold out immediately. Now I just need to entice people to the live show.

But instead of trying that in here may I suggest that if you have some spare time Friday you should consider our free RPG Quiz show where I'll be asking trivia questions and handing out prizes along with Jon from my shows, James D'Amato from One Shot and Campaign and stuff, and somehow Linda Codega from Gizmodo. Get copies of our books and random other stuff! And it's free: https://www.gencon.com/events/221455?fbclid=IwAR1qnqTTF-tdPZteVQELJEuvYs-IAdkbX95OI78Exh0YFOgdwAYoPsDTl64
I saw people excited about the Dallas game, so good work there. I mean heck I am pretty excited myself

But even more intrigued by the RPG Trivia session. Might have to consider....purchasing an event ticket after all???

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
NOT AGAIN

https://discord.gg/w5M97Fa8

Wow links expire after 7 days now? I could have sworn they were, you know, useful before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shadragul posted:

https://discord.gg/RRmdxt6

This is a non-expiring invite link, feel free to update the main post Quarex
THERE IS SUCH A THING?! HOORAY thanks, on it