Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

calling cap on the death threat until i see an actual police report

Yep, if they don't go to police about this I will call bs on threats.
It's easy to believe most devs about them receiving threats because it's GAMERS after all, but it's also really easy to believe sociopath executives lying about it.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ShinAli posted:

Godot is led by a bunch of wieners
Elaborate please.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

I wanted to see if any Godot developers have talked about the Unity thing. Most I found was this banned former dev who has a different axe to grind.
Most of the main developers I follow on Twitter had something to say about the Unity thing. You'll have to go look for them yourself though, sorry.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hogama posted:

I definitely have not manually excluded 5,956 titles, that's way too much effort.

Idk what it's excluding for you, but you can go to the explore page to confirm how many you've ignored manually.
https://store.steampowered.com/explore/

I have been using explore queue since it became a thing and...

I play a pretty large variety of games and yet I have had to ignore that many games. There's a lot of not so good stuff on Steam.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Resdfru posted:

I wonder what percentage of steam users would keep buying games on steam even if they were cheaper elsewhere. Either by ignorance cause they just open the steam client or because they choose to stick to steam despite price

Personally I'm one of those freaks that buy things on steam even if they're cheaper/free somewhere else. I stopped getting the weekly free epic games cause I realized I never played them and I ended up buying them on steam anyway.

I just don't want to deal with another client even if it's free, if I own a game that isn't in steam it essentially doesn't exist. I've tried gog galaxy but it keeps getting disconnected from stuff and being more of a hassle to use.

It sounds like you aren't aware of steam key resellers like Humble, Greenmangaming or Fanatical?
I use https://isthereanydeal.com/ and buy games on all sorts of sites because they're cheaper there, sometimes it will take months for Steam sales to match authorized reseller discounts. I guess only about 25% of my games are bought from Steam store.

E: For example here are current prices of Last of Us Part 1

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 29, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Remote play together is another really useful steam no added value piece of bloatware feature

It's not perfect and takes a few tries to get working sometimes but playing local coop games across the internet is very cool

Yeah! I'm very thankful for that feature's existence. It works surprisingly well when it works and I've been playing all sorts of local multiplayer games with my friends every week via RPT :)

It has some really annoying issues with controllers and moving them between slots and sometimes you have to retry or even restart Steam on both ends to get it working properly. Classic Valve never fixing glaring issues in features that they lost enthusiasm for.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DaveKap posted:

The worst bloatware of Steam is the inventory crap and all the ways Valve's swerved it, like with christmas event points and cards.
Oh yes, and they haven't bothered to even make it more pleasant to use after all these years. It looks and works like crap.

Back in 2014 they added a new kind of currency that you gain by uhh... melting down trading cards and community items that is used to create booster packs and they might've also wanted them to be used for trading instead of TF2 keys. The latter never happened and I've never heard of anyone talk about gems after the 2014 winter sale ended.
This feature works so poorly that I have gems taking up 5 slots in my inventory, unable to be merged. So even if I wanted to do something with them I couldn't use gems in 4 of the slots.

Also, they can't really pull back on any of this crap because it would make lots of people really mad that they lost their "investments", some have poured loads of money into this for whatever reason.

DaveKap posted:

Once Valve decides your game is worthy of having cards, anyway.
That is pretty low bar to reach and it works okay to prevent certain types of "games" from just gaming the dumb system

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 1, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

claw game handjob posted:

You can actually force a merge on these. Click "Pack Gems into a Sack" in the inventory with one highlighted, select as many as possible, it'll draw from all of the piles and then you can just unpack them if you want 'em in one single stack.

(Or you can sell the sacks on the market for a buck or two. Whatever works.)

Nope, it doesn't pull from all piles, only from the one that actually has 1000 or more gems. Clicking that button on piles that have less does nothing. If it worked I would've done it all the way back in 2014.

Though, thanks to testing it I learned that sacks cost nearly 30 cents so yay free money.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Kins posted:

Sorta like the "Cheater's Lament" thing item in the Team Fortress 2 days where everyone who didn't use an Achievement Unlocker tool to get the new weapons immediately got a cosmetic.

I didn't get it and I hadn't even heard of SAM before few years later. Maybe it was because I followed a friend to achievement idle server to mess around a few times?

Zokari posted:

that was actually related to using a 3rd-party idling tool instead of idling in the actual game, which i continue to maintain does not count as cheating

also they later gave it to everyone anyway so who even knows what the intent was

I still didn't get it :(

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 16, 2023