Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's weird from a ludonarrative perspective as well - every time over the last 2 years you jumped off behind The Big Giant Head, you got instakilled from fall damage, except now you can jump down there because reasons.

If they do remove falling damage it'll make the situation with long-looking drops even weirder. Some long falls instakill you. Some long falls (like the pre-gorgon drop in VoG) don't, because they were designed for you to use your doublejump. Some will now presumably be designed for you to fall and take no damage. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Games have kill zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Just add the lovely maps back to Gambit if they’re not going to make new ones.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Resilience has become a very powerful stat so making it cost more makes sense.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kith posted:

it's also getting reduced in power so "it's strong now and that's why it needs to be nerfed with a cost increase" doesn't really fly

30% damage reduction is still a substantial amount. The stat does more than it used to so it should cost more.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Smoove posted:

Any Steam/Destiny gurus that may know a workaround for this. (when you uninstall on steam with cross play it takes it off console too it seems?)
Trying to find what is going on with online fixes and just had to download again on Xbox.

For whatever reason uninstalling both Steam and D2 it keeps pausing the update. Nothing I’ve found online has worked short of going into BIOS settings and playing with those.

Interestingly enough, other stuff on steam loads fine like AimBot though it likes to freeze up too, maybe time to put the rig down and replace it? I’m just massively confused on how it was running so good but now it’s trash.

You link your system accounts on Bungie’s website. Uninstalling the game doesn’t remove that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Champ discussions are weird because you can spend as much time as you like carefully wording why they aren't fun, are fundamentally a cockblock, force you to use specific guns in the game who's reward structure is 'give you loads of different guns,' and specific ones are even less fun than others (looking at you overload captains and shield servitors); and you still get a bunch of weird little guys coming out of the woodwork to go "ah no they're easy to deal with, you just need to [all the things you just said weren't fun]".

You’ve been playing this game for years. :psyduck:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i do sometimes think people underestimate the ability of people to complete objectives when the game is clear enough about them. ff14 has a matchmaking pool of like 60+ instances that all have slightly different stuff going on and everything is role-based and yet i feel like i can count on one hand the number of times ive had to straight up abandon a dungeon because someone wasn't doing their poo poo

that said: destiny dungeons/raids i think could never really be matchmaking friendly because of how necessary voice chat and callouts are; that's not how ff14 instances work outside of endgame. you definitely have to play a role and nail your mechanics but you do not have to do any real communication. i do think experimenting with harder matchmade content is great, though - i convinced a friend to come play the witch queen free weekend and plunk down ten bucks for seraph and he was super impressed at the heist battlegrounds, it's really the missing "heroic" difficulty in a lot of ways

Raids, dungeons, and GMs are considered endgame content and have no matchmaking. You’re not doing FF14 Savage raids with no voice chat.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ponzicar posted:

I've never played Destiny 1, but I get the impression that it was filled to the brim with grindy rng based bullshit and that people's fondness for it is a form of Stockholm syndrome.

Year 1 had hilarious things like Purple engrams decoding into blues.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Meiteron posted:

I want a raid encounter that forces someone to 1v1 a Tormentor for a mechanic, I'd take that job every single time.

The raid encounter will pick someone at random for that fight.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

easier when you are owned by a publisher who puts at least two support studios on the game

maybe Sony will throw someone at final shape but they're not really a support studio kind of company like activision or Ubisoft

Activision didn’t own Bungie.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think Bungie shouldn’t have had such a difficult final boss if they were going to end it the way they did. Maybe have just one Tormentor and cut down like half the adds. Also Tormentors shouldn’t be able to suppress you.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It’ll definitely have its place in PVP for montage quality kills, but I can’t see it having a place GMs. The speed running community will probably get some good use out of it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

victrix posted:

nope, not only is there no real need, they've stated they're not increasing the power cap this year afaik, so once you cap out you don't need to think about it until the final parallelogram comes out

Next season is confirmed to have no increased power cap.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The "new" leveling system was literally the infusion system that's become a standard part of Destiny.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Huckleberry is fun for easy content but for the harder stuff Osteo wins hands down.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So I’m guessing this raid will probably be the easiest raid in the game without Contest mode?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kith posted:

its ok to have things be a tolerable difficulty once in a while. like dsc.

DSC is my favorite raid so this sounds good.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The fan base is already incredibly toxic as it is thanks to streamers

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Nez did not feel like the cakewalk he was made out to be, but we maybe didn't have the best damage strategy and there might be a few mechanics kinks to still work out.

Any raid encounter is easy if you do it with 6 Starfire Well Locks and play the game for 14+ hours a day. I’m not upset that a new group got world’s first and I got my community to spam the video with comments about how they cheated. I’m not upset that I got smoked in this race by unknowns and got 57th. But this raid was incredibly easy and you should listen to me and only me.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

MJeff posted:

Lol wait what's this about getting his community to spam somebody

I'm being sarcastic, but Salt did get his community really up in arms about Wells so I'm not putting it past him. He also kept his comms muted during the race long after he lost.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I wonder if this has been patched yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mX1KFkSmBU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Funnily enough every time it’s not like that and things are made accessible or to not require you play Destiny exclusively, the usual suspects (streamers, YouTubers, Redditors who import their opinions wholesale from the former) pitch a fit

That was Year 1 of Destiny 2 and it was awful. Like there’s a ton of content in this game now for playing casually, but raids are endgame content so it does require a bit more time from the player. In Year 1 you could play on the weekly reset day and have nothing to do the rest of the week.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 14, 2023

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys are really dumb. The issue was that contest mode, a thing made to be a challenge, wasn't a challenge. That's it. That's all they're complaining about.

Sometimes the raids are easier than usual. There’s only so many times you can stand on a loving plate in a raid.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have thoughts i'll fart into the wind about the raid but Master mode has a weapons surge and the presence of champions which mean you just roll an aeons or 2 and heavy everything to death. I unironically believe that you'll get through master maining just a MG and be fine. Enemies also do NOT have more health and are NOT harder to stun so it will be much easier than contest which is.....dissapointing.

I also agree with everything datto said so :shrug:

I’m expecting Master mode to have -20 power like a Master NF does.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

gently caress you too.

If this means Bungie has to reconsider the mutators on Master then fine - the central point is that having an aspirational challenge that players only have a day or two to actually do is an inherently stupid idea. Even several streamers have admitted they hate the grind race in the first week and a half of an expansion to be able to compete in contest mode. If they want to put themselves through it for bragging rights on how fast they can do the raid after launch, be my guest, but it shouldn’t be a requirement to ever be able to do it. This isn’t even getting into how the placement race is already its own kind of challenge.

None of these streamers had to grind like they did because contest capped players at 1780 anyway.

Like Sweatcicle played Lightfall for 21 hours on release day. He was raid ready like 10 hours in.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 14, 2023

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I have no idea how good they were but the black armoury stuff had some of the coolest design in the game imo

Kindled Orchid had a curated version that had Rampage and Kill Clip. You could two tap in PVP with a 140.

Then there was the infamous Blast Furnace. This pulse’s base range was 79, and it could be forged, so it was very easy to get one with 90+ range and beam people from insane ranges. It also gets kill clip.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kith posted:

solo master campaign missions are such a loving slog, christ almighty

shoutout to the insanely aggressive and nearly immortal wyverns that can one-shot you through 100 res and double void resist

additional shoutout to the even more aggressive and even more durable boss wyvern that attacks twice as fast

tertiary shoutout to the boss hydra that spams void explosions like it's going out of loving style, all of which one-shot you

last but not least, all three champion types being present, plus tormentors, drastically restricting your loadout more than match game + champs ever did

god tormentors suck so fuckin bad

Its so funny how Tormentors in Raids have barely any health, but in any other activity they take ages to kill.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Roctavian posted:

New shader in the bright dust shop today just doesn't resemble its icon at all, and I know that's a theme with shaders but this is completely giving up on a visual language.

There are a lot of shaders that look dramatically different depending on what they’re applied to.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I kinda burned myself out doing Legendary Seraph Station so I haven’t even started Avalon.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Definitely wait for a sale, that content isn't going anywhere. I don't think there's a "complete" legacy pack, there's one that gives forsaken/shadowkeep/beyond light and then stand alone witch queen. There's also the thirtieth anniversary, and last seasons dungeon pass.

Imo witch queen has the way better campaign, but the other pack has way more items and another subclass.

The dungeon pass is a fun 10 dollar buy if you can find someone to go through it with you, same with thirtieth. But for solo play it's not a great idea.

Forsaken is a separate pack. The legacy collection is now SK/BL/WQ.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

None of D2 Stadia's data was actually hosted on Stadia, it was all the same Bungie-controlled backend servers as the other platforms. They depended on the platforms to do authentication that proves the user controlled that platform account and therefore should be allowed to access the corresponding game account. Cross-save just let you override that so you could route your PSN login to a character you had created through Stadia if you could prove you controlled both accounts. With the Stadia service shut down, there's no longer any way to prove you control the Stadia character, so you can't log into it or re-establish the cross-save override. So yes, the Stadia characters most likely still exist, just in a dead database that users have no path to

I went looking to see if Bungie had ever announced a plan to rescue Stadia characters by allowing some way to reassign them to other platforms, but they don't seem to have ever made any announcement about that. Even aside from the technical obstacles, there's probably a major risk of mistakes or intentional account theft there, and if it's not something the database was originally intended to do it may involve a significant amount of work and/or downtime to pull it off

Bungie spammed reminders to move Stadia accounts to other platforms. There was no excuses.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

neutral milf hotel posted:

Problem is you can't really move characters to other platforms. You just link them together

You link your game platform account to your Bungie account. I’m not sure why you think that means you should be able to just use whatever characters you want from any platform at any time. That’s not how game data works for Destiny.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bungie put Forsaken together with the 30th Anniversary Pack. Its now the only way to buy Forsaken content.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is 80 hours post Lightfall too much to refund it?

Sounds like you got your money’s worth

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Let's not pretend there wasn't an era where everyone was loving off the second they loaded into Exodus Crash, for like a year or however long it was.

This is me with The Corrupted. Pubbies still cannot do this strike.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love this week's new shader.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Windows 11 gets a security fix – but it has broken some PC games

TLDR: Bungie has been too lazy to update BattlEye, and now it's broken with the latest version of Windows 10 and 11. :allears:

Windows 10 is not mentioned in that article at all.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

EVERY DAY I WAKE UP AND PALM SLAM A COCK AND BALLS INTO YOUR FACE

Excuse me but it’s “Glock and Balls.” :v:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

One of the factors in banning players in any online game is how much hard currency they spend. Maybe Sir VAC-ban-a-lot open his/her wallet a lot and the back end just lets them pass.

Vac bans are on a per game basis and have nothing to do with how much money they spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Omni’s damage reduction was insanely strong. People had trouble seeing you and you took less damage. It wasn’t so bad in 6s but it was absurd in Trials.