Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Mazerunner posted:

I've been working on my own schizophrenic lore deep dive and they've actually been laying the seeds for the Witness and what its trying to do since at least Forsaken

"You've no idea how fortunate you are to be my chosen. You hold the flesh of a god in your hands. You are mere steps away from our salvation. Only Light and Dark, together, can unlock my way back into your world."

Riven as 'Mara'

and there's a bunch of thematic stuff/recurrent motifs since even vanilla D1 that they're still hitting that's all coming together

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

My own schizophrenic lore idea has been that Rasputin was going to shoot humanity, not the Traveler. Excited to see if I was right or not next week, especially now that we know Rasputin never wanted to shoot the Traveler even when Clovis told it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Kith posted:

it sucks bad that the most interesting part of destiny is the space magic and bungie is like "we need less space magic"

This is the third(?) time they've decided the problem is too much of the fun thing happening.

What's it been like a week since they were all hyping how high APM Strand is going to be?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Second question: I have SO MUCH lore to catch up on. Is Ishtar still the place to go for that? I wanna read all the little lore greebles not just watch a summary from Byf or something

Ishtar is still the place to go if you want to catch up on the lore. At a minimum you want to read the seasonal lore books in order, the lore attached to any seasonal armor sets (same across slots for all three classes, start with the helmet and work down), lore attached to sesonal weapons, items (sparrows, ghost shells, ships), and the sesonal artifact.

You also want to read any of the Web Lore at Ishtar (these are Bungie lore blog posts) and the books from the collector editions of Beyond Light, Witch Queen, and Lightfall. You might need to dig up a reddit post linking to the collector edition books. Don't skip the collector edition books, Witch Queen especially has some really deep lore and as far as I know only the second book is on Ishtar right now.

You should also go back and read the Books of Sorrow from the Taken King to start.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

and Crucible!

The Io, Mercury, Titan and Mars tilesets were never removed from the game even when the planets were vaulted

In D1 the crucible maps were canonically actual destinations that the Shaxx Robots had cordoned off and kept safe for our playtime. I know the 'Lighthouse' is just a simulation, but I'm guessing things like Javelin and Pacifica are also simulations?

... Or Bungie assumes we don't give a crap and it's just there in-game because it's video games

Saint figured out how to simulate maps and suggested Shax do the same. Now all of the crucible maps are simulated.

Edit: Actually Osiris gave the simulation tech to Saint then Saint built it out for trails, then gave it to Shaxx.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 21, 2023

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah, I got no idea. Like I said, I am assuming they're just trying a bunch of poo poo to see what works and what doesn't, and wouldn't surprise me if they turn things off and on over the course of this year's seasons to tune things.

Ninth year of the franchise is a great time to be doing this and not at all reflective of large structural issues with design and work flow.

Although Lightfall is effectivly going to be what, like Destiny 5? For all intents and purposes this game never really left beta. The Final Shape isn't an expansion title it's just something they are hoping will qualify as a 1.0 release.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

remember when tractor cannon buffed void damage far more than it did the other types, so everyone only ever ran void because why wouldn't you?

This is another thing they don't ever seem to get. Players are going to optimize damage in the best way they can and only that way because you built your Fantasy MMORPG inside and arena shooter engine so every class is glass-cannon ranged DPS and the only thing they have to do is the most damage. No one cares about rotators or class flavor during the boss fight. Just let me use the stuff I think is fun FFS.

If you want variety in player choices you need to offer variety in player actions, not just different damage vaules.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

RBX posted:

Huh? I've literally never heard of this line of thinking. Why would that be a worry? Is that some new buzzword I don't know? How dumb do people think the average player is in this game that they can't comprehend basic reward structure.

A couple of weeks ago in the Vanguard Ops playlist I ran Scarlet Keep with two people who had a combined 583 season levels (I was around 140 at the time) and neither of them would pick up an orb at the first bridge. I don't know if they refused to or didn't know you had to but after I dunked the first one they just stood there for a while. I wasn't in a hurry so I waitied a few minutes and they sort of moved around but didn't make for the second orb. I'm pretty sure if I hand't gotten the second orb we might still be stitting there.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

This city sucks. This is what the decendents of the Ishtar Collective spent a 1,000 years building? It's a bunch of indistinct blue-grey rectangles and giant HVAC components.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Calus getting a Hero Ship instead of a Pyramid really kills the whole unform final shape vibe of the black fleet. Even the Witness doesnt' have a uninque ship.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I swear to God if there is some punch line about how they mean ten Neptunian years.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Okay. Huh, well, aight.

Well that's reassuring.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

In both the Ikora journal for uhh Witch Queen? And hopefully in some upcoming lore stuff you will see more of the thoughts I put into the Light side of things. Where I do try to articulate a possibility of escape from the tyranny of 'optimize thy own values away in favor of Growth'

Ikora's reconciliation of the Light and Dark was beautiful. Legitimatly moving stuff, no matter what Bungie ends up doing with the plot, the underlying question you hung everything on is profound.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I couldn’t care less if the two blueberries I just dragged through a seasonal playlist event think I’m joyful.

I’d be joyful if they bothered to make tutorial missions.

A version of the seasonal activity but you are solo and WILL NOT PROGRESS until you personally pay attention and complete every mechanic would be far more useful.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 2, 2023

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Tormentors own. Whoever dreamed up Champions please take note.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The answer to “why isn’t THING working” is “20 year old bowl of spaghetti that barely let Halo games ship on time”

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

If you are comparing Taken King to Lightfall I think it's fair to include Season of Defiance as part of Lightfall as the seasonal model wasn't part of the game for Taken King.

Edit: not to try and minimize the huge problems Lightfall has but Defiance is basically a whole additional storyline plus what will amout to three new strikes.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 6, 2023

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Void Hunter is stronger than ever with the new mod system and no more match game. An invisiblity + volatile rounds build does not require much precision at all.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

It sucks but AAA is at a point where the only thing that is going to break the hold content creators have over developers is a major title taking a really big hit or flat out dying after too much catering to people who play for a living.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Weren’t you all paying attention when Joe explained how random drops are more exciting than getting the cool thing you want in a reasonable, predictable time frame?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Having just two people to defend an entier city is dumb. Chosing to make one of them a teenager with no expericne of anything is really dumb. Giving that teenager a lethal amount of body modification (and then I guess hoping they are a quick study) is irresponsible and unethical and dumb.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Sucks that the reality of your ten year old fantasy of playing video games for a living is that you'd be a joyless twerp who ruins the game for everyone else.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t mind the difficulty of LLSs I just think the low drop rate necessitating multiple runs in a row makes them mega tedious.

This is the real problem. Difficulty can be adjusted and offered at different levels, but in their way of missing the point Bungie heard 'make the game more rewarding' and decided to make it blanket harder instead of making engrams drop more. Or just letting us focus yellow engrams at the Cryptarch for specific armor.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd be interested to hear what people would consider more of a reward, y'all already get most of the coolest guns, historically a bunch of catalysts and an extra armour slot locked behind higher difficulty activities.

I put it right there in the post you quoted:

sunday at work posted:

making engrams drop more

If I can't focus exotic engrams then I don't see any reason I should ever leave a LLS without one.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don’t have any of those :(

I finally beat Downfall on Legendary. Just had to really take my time and clear adds. I still really like Skyburner’s Oath. I know that primary exotics are pretty weak, but it just feels great. That and a special shotgun in my primary slot with the Strand machine gun feels like it covers all my bases. Probably dogshit single target DPS, but if I’m actually doing hard content I typically put myself on add duty just so I’m not handicapping my team anyway.

Exotic Primaries and trace rifles have a 40% buff in damage against red bars including any effects they cause. They are practically the only primaries worth using right now.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I’ve heard some really funny poo poo about what it’s like to play Legend Dares of Eternity now lol

The Crota fight is some bullshit. Got the bonus round the one time I ran it and I swear half of us were dead at any given time. I can't imagine who tested that and thought they were good to go.

Bungie has never been averse to killing you really fast but the current sandbox difficulty feels less like a design decision and more like a cheap shot; like they felt they had to ship some kind of change after content creators started piling on about powercreep over the last year but they couldn't fundamentally rebuild the game in response to how they had fundamentally rebuilt our characters.

And what really gets me is that my Gyrfalcon + Le Monarqe build theoretically feels stronger than ever, but it feels less like a well executed power fantasy and more like it's carrying me, like the instant I stop leaning all the way in on that power I just get demolished. I have to play the build to its utmost potential at all times. They didn't leave any room to breath.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

They really screwed themselves with the idea of contest mode as it’s own thing that isn’t the normal raid but also isn’t the master raid or whatever other level. There isn’t a test sever in Destiny, no one has ever run the raid prior to release. The only day one thing should be a verified first completion. Contest mode is just marketing and trying to make content creators happy, to the point you can get an emblem for watching enough twitch.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Would unsunsetting gear also bring back a pre-Shadowkeep sandbox where legendary primaries are effective and satisfying to use?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I don’t think I’d find Nimbus as annoying if the structure of there only ever being two Cloudstriders made any sense.

You wouldn’t even really need to introduce more of the others. It would make sense that they would stick our new in town character with the rookie while the oldest one works with Osiris and the rest are active defending the city.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

They kneecapped precision primaries in PvE to make finishers a thing. Double special or Whitherhoard + SMG has been the general play since Shadowkeep launched.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

If you aren't going to bring back SLR then please stop making me get on a Sparrow as part of a mission.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The real story was the exploits we found along the way.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Trials is a complete haves-and-have-nots over The Immortal, what the gently caress was Bungie thinking with this gun?

"Let's take the Ikelos SMG, already arguably the best PVP weapon in the game, and add ten to every stat. Should be fine."

Bungie has never really acknowledged that the weapons in this game aren’t just stat sticks and flavor text but functional items that can be strictly better than anything else based on nothing more than the collection of numbers that determine how they function. This always seems to catch them by surprise when it happens. Even if SMGs have been dominate for a while, and they have discussed a couple of specific nerfs to range and zoom the past year, they can still ship something like Immortal somehow.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Thanks Guardians! Looks like I'm going double bow (primary+heavy) from now on. Any legendary recommendations or is it always precision frame+fastest drawtime+dmg perk?

That is basically it for legendary bows.

All bow is a neat idea but you might want to consider a utility special like Riptide or a disorienting GL, especially with auto loading holster.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Legendary Witherhoard style AoE GLs would be amazing with the new elemental perks.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Going to have to add “determinism” to my list of words no one at Bungie understands.

As always all they needed to do was make the engrams drop way more often but for some reason they won’t do that. Anything but just having more engrams drop.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Does the cost matter when the source is random exotic engrams that drop once or twice a season?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

RBX posted:

Oh yes they were. They need to feed their egos and have something to gatekeep or else why would anybody give a gently caress about what they think. And actually I agree for vets they needed a real challenge but infiltrating that challenge in every facet of the game was horrible. It's not even real challenge just artificial challenge. Which is all Bungie knows how to do since day 1. Which is why I never look to their games for a challenge.

Amen on the artificial challenge. Does Neomuna patrol have interesting design and new mechanics? Nope, just a bunch of bullet sponge enemies half of which can two tap you. I suppose we’re lucky they didn’t nerf ability regen on patrol to really up the challenge.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's lame that Destiny's new difficulty is just a puzzle solved in orbit, IMHO. "We gave the enemies 50% more health so you'd have to use the guns that do 25% more damage in that activity" is not something you actually engage with, in the actual gameplay experience

Like it reminds me of Octopath Traveler where a boss kicks your butt because you didn't have Daggers equipped and his only weakness was Daggers

But then you give everybody Daggers

And then you win it really easily because you had Daggers

We tried to do a master raid using our normal raid loadouts and it was really hard

But then everybody ran the Curated Selection of Surge/Overcharge Weapons and it was really easy

Woohoo?

This is the problem with their idea of difficulty. It’s never about you doing anything different or better it’s just about you being weaker and limited while running basically the same content.

I’d love some optional challenge if it meant something different but the same Lost Sectors except I take a ton more damage and enemies take a ton less isn’t it.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This has always been Destiny's difficulty, though? Even more so before thanks to Match Game and Equipment Lock (the latter which is still around).

Honestly the new surge/thread is actually cool? It nudges you in a certain direction week to week. It's only fault is that they're being too static about it. Having the two surges all season being strand then void/solar doesn't leave much play for other stuff when you can settle on strand all season. Same with artifacts overcharging those weapon types. Cool idea but having those 4-5 types be THE weapons for a season reduces your choices.

Also this is a pretty drat choice of a complaint "oh we tried the challenging hard version of the raid making no changes whatsoever to our loadouts and it was hard" .

Changing my load out isn’t a challenge, it’s housekeeping. Surges and champion mods aren’t interesting designs or mechanics, they are arbitrary limitations.

I don’t need to be nudged to use cool stuff. I don’t have enough time to play games to use all the cool stuff I have as is. And loosening those arbitrary limitations is just letting me use what I want so what’s the point of having them to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m genuinely curious as to what you think difficult content should look like if those things seem as arbitrary limitations. So your scaling for difficulty would be…. More enemies with more health that do more damage? It’s hard to step outside of that without beginning to be “limiting” and at that point you just have a really loving boring game.

I think maybe I’m just not looking for “difficult content”. I was fine with most of how the game was and I’m not interested in a going down a checklist of arbitrary surges and modifiers. That just feels tedious to me.

For me the reason to play Destiny is moving around a big arena shooting cool weapons at lots of enemies. The one thing I’ve always wanted out of this game is a proper Firefight mode if that tells you anything. Ideally I think difficulty should be outlasting and overcoming a lot of enemies that I’m more powerful than rather than a few enemies that outclass me constantly taking off huge chunks of health while I peak out from behind cover or just matching my class to the flavor of the week.