Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Geeze, I knew they handed the game maintenance to the D team but this is spectacular in its level of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A laughable question, but has there been any word on new maps for Crucible and Gambit? I know they're taking the seasonal stuff and shoving it into the Strikes playlist so that's some new (to me at least) content.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Forward_Bee posted:

Europa Gambit map would be sick, imagine if it has snow storms and everything to occasionally limit vision. But I'd settle for literally anything new for gambit, because I love the mode and it needs love.

Even bringing back the Dreaming City and Tangled Shore maps would be an improvement at this point. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Whirling posted:

I still have no idea why they went with the Megamind-esque design for the Witness. There was concept art I think I recall seeing where it looked kind of like a space pharaoh, and that was pretty sweet and matched up with the whole Pyramid aesthetic, no idea why they ditched that in favor of somebody with big ol' Pixar character eyes.

The Witness is a big ol' smokey head kitty who just wants to bat the traveller around. :3:

yes I saw the fanart and I love it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

LionYeti posted:

So I might be really really stupid but the season mission to find Mara Sov at the farm. I can't seem to find it and cursory googling told me that it got content vaulted.

Wait, we're going back to the farm? Is it the new HELM?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So how is anyone supposed to beat the weekly story stuff cause I keep feeling like I'm just slamming against a wall.

I've beaten Lightfall's story and got my light to 1770 but this poo poo feels near impossible.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Iron banner question:

I'm a returning player, last really played Destiny (as in completed an campaign and regularly played a season) back in Arrivals/Beyond Light/Hunt. I just noticed IB last season brought back some D1 IB armour with the wolf-hood cape.

I want D1 my wolf-hood. I notice its not in the IB engram focusing menu which sort of makes sense since class items are stat-less so why would you re-roll. Is the wolf-hood actually available in this IB?

I'd like to know before I throw myself into the grind.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I think I saw a second focusing menu for legacy items? Unless it's not there either.

Nope, the current IB armour is there, sans-cape. All the other legacy sets in that menu do, however, have their capes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I got my wolf-hood and three catalysts (Whisper, Suros Regime and Arbalest) all before my first rank reset. Not bad, not bad.

I'd forgotten that IB is a great way to boost power level due to all the pinnacles they throw at you.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Now that Orb making is tied to helmet mods, is there any point to masterworking weapons? The very small stat boost feels pretty pointless.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So when exactly are they going to unfuck the stasis grind?

Having come back to the game after a long long absence and barely touching unlocking Stasis, I found the trick is Ager's Scepter and Vanguard Stasis quests.

I was blasting through a quest a strike. Ager's makes freezing guys really really easy and that seems to be the primary goal of most of the Strike quests.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man at some point I hope the Lore supports us being able to reshape our weapons at the tower, or in space, instead of going to Year Five's Throne World

I wonder if it's for mechanical reasons the way the HELM is sequestered

I was under the impression the HELM is sequestered for story reasons, so the actors can walk in and do their weekly radioplays without spoiling anything for someone walking in.

I miss when the seasonal stuff was part of the tower but at least its less weird with the HELM in orbit. Flying to the hanger next door always felt odd.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sunday at work posted:

Big question at this point is did Lightfall suck because the rest of the saga is going to suck and that’s starting to show out, or did Lightfall suck just because they bolted it together from spare parts after reshuffling the story yet again?

The Final Shape's story is going to be so bad and underwhelming, it'll make Mass Effect 3's ending look like Shakespeare.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

New and casual players matter a lot more than some people would ever like to admit.

Yeah, watching that video, I never realized just how bad the new light experience is.

The funny thing is, a mish-mash of what we had before would be better.

Like what if you play through the Red War but get new abilities from Ikora and when you're done the campaign then you're directed to the Cosmodrome.

Or what if you start in the Cosmodrome and when you're done there you're led into the Red War campaign. The Red War campaign did a pretty good job as a primer.

What I'm saying is, D2 was better WITH the vaulted content. Some of my best times with D2 was helping my console playing friend start a new PC character and working through Red War/Osiris/Warmind/Foresaken with him.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

for now it seems like a runaway train until Final Shape, at which point I could plausibly see D2 going into a D1-Age-of-Triumph-style maintenance phase for a year or so while everything gets updated to match the status quo…but even then, maybe not!

The last big leak heavily implies a revamped New Light experience at some point this year. Maybe the Red War with the Witch Queen style Normal/Legendary treatment? I think a lot of old timers would be psyched to play through Legendary Red War for some new rewards. Look how excited people are for Titan (I know I am.).

The Final Shape is going to flub the ending and ignite more Internet flames than Mass Effect 3 but I think Bungie could do a lot of goodwill by unvaulting and revamping all the old planets (maybe including Venus?) for an Age of Triumph style season. Hell, the rumors also say that Final Shape will only have 2 seasons.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 17, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

All that really matters is we can now rotate weapons and ships on the details screen.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Certainly looking like the last big leak RE: Final Shape is 100% true.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Is it good or bad? I don't mind stuff being spoiled but seeing Cayde again is actually pretty cool imo and it'll be nice to have him back unless it's something weird?

I thought the stuff I read sounded like an appropriate end to Destiny 2. The leaks I've read all sound a bit different though and the last "big one" reads like a mish-mash of Lightfall and Final Shape (definitely hinting that Lightfall was filler).

RBX posted:

How bad was Lightfall that they already put a teaser out this early.

I feel like we got our first Lightfall teaser around this time last year. . NM, we got a teaser for the August showcase in July. Definitely screams "we have a plan, please keep playing!".

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm assuming there's a yet-unrevealed explanation as to why The Witness was sent off into deep space during the collapse, otherwise he probably could have just done what he did this time and touch the Traveler to figure out where the veil was?

There was also that bit when the Traveler broke free of Ghaul's chains and woke up the pyramids at the end of Red War - the implication at the time felt like it was a "oh they know where we are now" but surely they already knew since the traveler didn't move since the collapse? I wonder if something was stopping the pyramids from coming sooner, or if it was more that they were waiting for the time to be right, like linking the veil and traveler would have not been possible sooner.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the whole thing in D1 was that the Traveler was dead or near dead? The opening cinematic said something along the lines of "with its dying breath the Traveler created the Ghosts".

I'd assume the Witness was like "oh poo poo, we went too far, the Traveler is dead and we lost the Veil. Retreat to dark space and figure out what to do next!". When Gaul was defeated, the Traveler sprung back to life and here we are.

What I'd like an answer to was what was the Veil doing when the Witnesses' people found it. Was it just cruising around space, ala the Traveler, giving out Darkness sub-classes?

I assume the third darkness subclass is the ultimate key through the portal into the Traveler, we'll get some seed of it and in the first mission of Final Shape we get the power and fly through the portal to start the campaign.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

None of the craftable guns seem all that appealing to me this season, not that I've really touched crafting at all (checked out after beating the Witch Queen campaign).

I notice Xur is selling a neato non-exotic trace rifle from season of the seraph and apparently it's craftable?

If I buy 5 of this gun and use my 5 deepsite harmonizers, will that work to give me the pattern?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I think vaulting came down almost entirely to tech issues? Like I dunno if I'm doing a telephone thing, but I heard the reason some stuff got vaulted is because it basically was built wrong - like mars strikes were basically full on duplications of the mars patrol zone, in a way that all the assets were duplicated rather then referenced.

I think it also came down to a QA thing. Look at the layers of cruft and how the game is barely holding together now. I strongly suspect if there had been no break from Activision, Season of Opulence would have been the end of D2.

Supposedly Shadowkeep and the Cosmodrome were proof that it was super easy to port old content into the new engine, but the Cosmodrome remains unfinished with no day/night cycle so I'm not sure what I believe now.

Its a little thing, considering how rarely I go to the Cosmodrome, but I'm still a little bitter at how Bungie handled the unfinished area. Promising they'd finish it and then sneaking a note into the TWAB the season it was supposed to hit with a "whoops we ran out of time, byeeeeee".

quote:

I also heard Io was repurposed cut D1 destination, so I wonder if there's some of that in there to with which destinations got vaulted. Maybe Neesus was just built in a way it was much easier for them to revisit and update, or less work overall to fix.

There was originally supposed to be a 3rd DLC for D1 set on Mars. The Pyramidion strike was apparently originally a raid. The opening cinematic with the Vex was repurposed for season of the undying.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

They're apparently supposed to be giving a similar treatment to Exodus Crash? (can't remember if they confirmed the other Neesus strikes as well.)

Just Exodus Crash, so they can expunge Cayde from the game just before they bring him back.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

As one of the few people who enjoyed Gambit to the point of getting the Reckoning title it’s sad to see Gambit be abandoned like this.

Yeah. :(

At the bare minimum they could have brought back ALL the old maps. I liked the Tangled Shore gambit map.

...but nope, now no one needs to touch gambit so the player base will drop off a cliff. Nice.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Season of Victory Lapping

You joke but it's probably going to be something like Season of Triumph or something.

Throughout all the fake leaks, I've noticed one thread in that the leakers always claim there's going to be a "back-to-basics" season, where instead of there being a big story, Bungie just focuses on making more content for the ritual playlists. More Strikes, more Crucible maps, more Gambit maps. While highly unlikely, I think I'd like that.

That Final Shape showcase is going to have to have some killer reveals in it.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 3, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

haveblue posted:

Of course, we don't know what their internal books actually look like, so maybe D2 really is dead and they really did need the money. If only we had all bought those event tickets...

There was that weird story going around a while back that before Foresaken came out, the game was weeks from being completely shuttered which seems wild to me.

Engagement seemed up during Warmind, but maybe Activision didn't like the trends they were seeing?

I mean, when 0.1 of the playerbase can provide 70% of the income of a game (not real Destiny numbers), I suppose its when the whales start dropping that management gets worried.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 8, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sunday at work posted:

By “weird story” do you mean the GDC presentation where they outlined how the near complete failure of D2 at launch led the company to change the development of the game into a live service?

Ah see, I never watched that GDC presentation but I assume that's also the infamous GDC presentation that "don't overdeliver" came from.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Yes, I predict Destiny and Mass Effect will end similarly.

In the fanbase being irrationally angry and sending death threats to Bungie until they capitulate and change the ending?

Nah.

Bungie won't change the ending.:v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm falling behind on hunter exotics due to lack of playing and the changes they made to how and where new exotic armor drops.

I tried a legendary lost sector solo and it was profoundly un-fun. Is there anywhere else I can the exotics I've missed from?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I've only had a chance to briefly dip my toe into the season.

The deck of cards mechanic looks like a fresh progression system and the activity seems pretty fun!

Now for the real question: where can I get that sweet sweet monte carlo catalyst?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Barbenheimer that has been Armored Core and Baldurs Gate. To the nothing about Spider-Man or the "good at last" version of Cyberpunk, all of which seem like something the Destiny audience might be very into.

I'd argue that even "bad" games this year could be someone's Baldur's Gate 3. I haven't even gotten to Baldur's Gate 3, because I'm enjoying......*gasp*.......Starfield. Which the Internet tells me is garbage but I'm having a good time and if I'm having a good time there must be DOZENS OF US!

But yeah, this year has been a banger for great solo experiences and I think most people are just tired of GaaS. I signed in for Season of the Witch and even without the light grind the dread set in and I turned it off.

There's so many better (shut up, I like Starfield) end-to-actual-end experience out there...why would you waste them on GaaS?

Where Destiny hosed up was scouring and neglecting their so-called "core" playlists, now the chickens come home to roost. Was it ever sustainable? Probably not, but here's where we're at. I'll play Final Shape cause I'm a hopeless addict who always assumes Bungie wasn't the master of the minimal-viable-product (muh finished Cosmodrome and Titan Patrol Zone revamp :().

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 1, 2023

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Man, I can't wait to read the 10 retrospective on "What Went Wrong with Destiny" from former Bungie employees.

I'm still curious what was so bad about the Destiny 1 vertical slice that caused Bungie to throw the entire story out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Speaking of Mara, did we ever find out what the "asset" was that she needed moved to the outer solar system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Io was originally supposed to be Mars at one point, wasn't it?

A cancelled D1 Vex focused expansion. The Pyramidion was supposed to be a raid.