Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Likewise, I didn't even know this existed until the announcement. No hate for PTN but I strongly prefer this to Alpha Strike, the mechs just don't have any soul when you aren't rolling weapons individually

Same. PM Sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm enjoying rereading them even with the problems, but I've been a Battletech lover since I was 8. There's also plenty in this bundle I've never read, not really sure where to start after finishing the Gray Death books.

You can always try reading them by chronological order of the events featured in each novel, as seen here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer checking in, mission looks great! Three of my favorite mechs, and a Blackjack (sorry Blackjack).

Hey gently caress you man :argh:

Seriously though, I like this Blackjack variant and I usually mod the default Blackjack in the HBS Battletech game to this variant because it's so easy to manage.

Jump+fire LLs, then jump+fire MLs/1 LL to stay at 0 heat all day. Very simple and straightforward to use.

As the only Mech with JJs, I could also scale the mountains to the north of the Dropship to snipe in coordination with a push from the rest of the lance.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This looks to be a fight where dictating range is the key.

Only the PHawk, Scorpion, and 3 of the vehicles have any notable long range weapons and everybody else save the dropship are decidedly short-range. Taking out one of those targets early can stack things in the lance's favor.

In addition, the short-range units are decidedly light on armor including the Treb. Our Hunchback's area denial caused by the AC should allow us to dictate distance.

Given the Blackjack's positioning, my best move this turn might be to run to 2207 which should put me just about in range to snipe the LRM Scorpion tank. I should be out of LOS to everything aside from the Treb from that spot.

Or the lance could swing to the left to take out the Stinger and light tanks first.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 14, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Do we wanna swing towards the Stinger and light tanks or move to snipe the Scorpion tank?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Claiming 2207 for my Turn 1 ending hex and sniping the Scorpion tank.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I probably should have claimed my tile as well I'm going to be one above you in 2206. I won't be firing this turn since I have limited ammo on my ranged weapons. I am under the assumption that the 16 shots I have are calculated for individual launches. So if I fire both of them I'll only have 8 shots. If I'm correct, I feel justified in my decision to hold back the fire

Yeah save your LRMs for now. These are just potshots at targets of opportunity.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What's the deadline for sending in orders? End of day Tuesday in the US?

Asking because I'm on UTC+8 and it's almost 11am Tuesday here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

So the team positions right now are:
  • Treb to 2306
  • Hammer to 2309
  • Hunchie to 1808(?)

I'm actually thinking of holding position where I am in 2207. I'd be out of LOS to the Scorpion Mech and I'm not that concerned about the firepower of the Scorpion tank, and I'd be out of range of everyone else. That position also allows me to jump up the hills to the west into cover if the Stinger tries a backstab next turn.

I could also move backwards 3 hexes to 2204 to put me at the Scorpion tank's long range bracket (I'd still be at long range for my LLs either way) and still have the flexibility to jump for the hills next turn.

Anybody have other suggested moves for me?

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 20, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Actually if you want to jump to 1808, I'll take 1709. I need to stay out of the woods for now to give me movement flexibility next turn, but since you have jets, no reason not to take advantage of them.

Nah you can take 1808. I don't have a shot on the Scorpion tank from there, and the to-hit penalty for jumping isn't worth the repositioning right now. A +3 on my to-hit vs a +2 on the enemy's to-hit isn't to my advantage without bringing range into play yet.

Learned the hard way on megamek that slower jumpers should really use their jumpjets as a defensive maneuver (such as jumping out of LOS to cool down) or for point-blank backstabs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Orders in - I thought about it some more and I agree now with Gwaihir's approach. Jumping to 1807 to position myself in anticipation of the Stinger and Firestarter making an aggressive move, and taking another potshot at the Scorpion tank.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

aniviron posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Locust stamping on a Demolisher - forever.

No need to imagine.

Maybe not the same mech, but close enough lol

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I would actually just sit still. You're not generating a movement mod from that movement, and you're hitting that treb on 6es (4 base + 2 enemy movement) with the LRMs while it needs a 10+ (4 base + 2 ran + 4 long range) to hit back at you.

I think this is a good turn to try and get the best shots possible in, because with our relatively poor gunnery those chances are going to be few and far between. Once we get closer to the dropship it'll be much more important to be maxing out our movement mods than it is while we've still got range on our sides here.

I'm considering moving on top of the tank in 1509 and shooting at the one in 1511. That gives me an 8 to hit which isn't great, but it also stops fire from the second galleon on me and lets me kick it on a 7. I'm also thinking I can turn and back up one hex in to 1708, and unload on the firestarter on 8s. I'm pretty likely to eat extra heat on this because the firestarter can light the woods up, but it's better for me defensively since at least the woods will give enemies a +1 to hit on me. The firestarter is also a slightly larger threat than the Galleon.

I'll focus on whichever one my blackjack buddy has a better shot at I think.

Blackjack

I'm thinking of reversing 2 hexes to 2006 to put me out of range of the Firestarter's flamers.

Definitely gonna fire the LLs this turn. If my math is correct, that would mean 8s to hit on the Firestarter and the Galleon in 1508, 10s on the Galleon in 1510, and 7s on the Stinger. The Stinger's easier to hit, but the Firestarter's the bigger threat right now so I'm willing to focus fire on it if you are.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack orders in - 2006, firing both LLs and a ML at the Stinger.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Alright, the Stinger's effectively out of action this turn and the Firestarter's RT is a soft breeze away from exploding.

Biggest threat this turn is probably the Treb. 'Hammer can run to 2310 and still have two hexxes of light woods + PPC long range protection from the Scorpion, while our Treb can run for the woods where the Hunchie and I am for cover.

Let me know where you wanna move to and who you want to focus fire on. I've got several options and don't want to accidentally bodyblock anyone making for the woods.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer
I'd consider throwing some punches instead for the chance to hit high on the Treb, but I'm pretty sure I'm taking an extra to-hit penalty because the Warhammer has pool noodles instead of hand actuators. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there.

It's -2 to rolls to kick vs +0 to punch, but no chance of falling over if you miss a punch.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I think the Warhammer can get directly behind the treb and shoot it's lasers plus kick. The treb only has a choice of two ML or 1 laser 1srm to shoot something behind it, so it's going to be taking the worse part of that exchange.

The firestarter is basically impossible for me or any of us to hit this turn, the best case scenario is needing a ten on the dice. I think the treb is our best target for now, the firestarter does basically nothing if you're further than 3 hexes away from it.

Hunchie, where are you planning to move? Was thinking of going 1907 > 1908 > 2007 to get a move mod in before firing on the treb, but I don't wanna bodyblock you if you'r planning on moving through the woods too.

+1 to-hit against me is nice to have but not at the expense of lessening your AC/20's to-hit chances.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

We can't block each other so long as we end in different hexes. I'm not sure where I'm going to try moving yet. I think it'll be an attempt to get shots on the trebuchet though. Have to math out various spots on my PC.

Edit: I'm an idiot and did the math wrong - can't move 3 hexes to 2007 so I'll have to settle for a 1-hex movement there that should put me at 7s to hit with my LLs and the enemy Treb at 8s with its arsenal.

I currently don't see any way for you to get into short range for your AC, so you might be best off running to my current spot in 2006, which should give you and the Treb 9s to hit each other. You might be in range of the Firestarter, but there are two hexes of woods between you plus partial cover because of the level 1 hex in 2005 which puts the other at 10s or 11s to hit.

anakha fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 25, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Also, argh, forgot to post and you might not be able to ammend orders in time, but Blackjacks have flippy arms- You can flip your arms and shoot straight backwards at the Treb with no movement at all, for the best possible shots. Just standing in the woods is already as much of a defensive bonus as you'd be able to get otherwise, too, anyhow. And it saves you a point of heat.

But that exposes my rear armor to the Treb who'd still have 8s to hit on me - not a risk I was willing to take.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Dachshundofdoom, I assume you're gonna hole up in the woods hex in 2405?

I might be jumping north towards the woods on the hill, just waiting on a clarification regarding LOS.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

The warhammer doesn't have enough MP to make it in to those woods unfortunately, not without using the (potentially pretty dangerous) hurried movement rules. I'm not sure if we're using that one, since it's from TacOps, but it lets you ignore extra MP costs for entering various types of terrain, in exchange for doing a PSR with a +2 penalty for each extra MP ignored. So for ignoring the +1 mp cost for entering a hex of light woods, you'd have to make a PSR with a +2 penalty. To ignore the cost for entering heavy woods, it would be a whopping +4 penalty.

It can get you out of a sticky situation, but used recklessly it can get you in to an even worse one!

Oh is that how it works? I thought it was just a flat -2 movement due to heat being at 11, which would still allow the Hammer to move 4 total.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah 2106 is the other option I was considering if i don't have LOS on the Treb from the hill. I'm still pristine anyway and can jump away to cooldown if I get tagged.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

In terms of gameplay, an upper arm crit adds a +1 accuracy penalty to all weapons in that arm, a +2 penalty to physical attacks, and halves the damage from punching.

Yup, and that upper arm crit happens to be on the arm with the SRM in it, which is why I don't mind getting in behind the Treb this turn.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

My orders are in - moving to 2106 and firing 1 LL and both MLs at the Treb's back.

No kicks as my walk speed won't let me face the Treb and kicks only apply to my front arc.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I just realized that the Stinger in this mission is the one that got away in the prior mission. Poor bastard escaped last time and is now probably hating his life.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With the three Mechs out of the picture for this turn, I think it's time to take those Galleons out

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ok, dumbass question time because I still keep getting this mixed up.

Since my left side is now vulnerable, shots coming from what hexes will hit my left side in the picture below? 2005/2006 or 2205/2206?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Here's a handy diagram showing how hit locations are determined:

So it's not 'mirror image' left. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Gwaihir, do you need help with the Galleon in 3009? I have enough movement speed to get to 2507 which would be at the 5-hex sweet spot range-wise for my LLs, and that location should also just be out of range of the Dropship.

I can also move to 2504 to go after the Galleon in 3004, if you feel you've got enough damage on board with your weapons plus the supporting PPC from the Hammer.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I think the blackjack has a nice potential move to 1709, jumping in to the heavy smoke. Your shots on the treb are bad, but, nothing else can really hit you either with a +4 defense mod.

Or you can move north and help clean up there, too. I think I have good enough odds on my galleon to finish it off.

I'll be sure to amend my orders with a contingency for the firestarter just in case, thinking about it though.

You might be thinking of 1708, since I can only jump 4. But yeah that's also an option if the Hammer and Treb are confident they can take out the other Galleon.

I'm still inclined to overkill the Galleons right now though. Better to definitively get them off the field and then have the luxury of deciding which of the crippled Mechs we go after as a group next.

glwgameplayer posted:

Trebuchet

hmm... I had another idea though. If I move to 2304 and turned to face 2404 I could fire both my LRMs at the healthy Galleon at an 8+ to hit. I know those odds have burned me before, but maybe this time I'd get lucky.

With your limited ammo, I wouldn't waste the LRMs on these small fry. I'd save them for the Mechs. Running to 3003 or 3008, firing the MLs and kicking would be the option I'd take, personally.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 3, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Orders in - running to 2603 and firing both LLs at the upper Galleon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Ok, insects swatted. Time to go after the main target.

I don't see any better moves for myself aside from running to 2707 or 2806 and taking a potshot at the enemy Treb, unless someone can point out an option I missed.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 5, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Orders in - running to 2806 and shooting the Treb.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 7, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Calling dibs on 2909 to finally finish the Trab off. Keeps me out of short range of its infernos, and I'm planning to jump into the gully next turn to mix it up and cover my approach to the Dropship.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Well I’m a little mad that I didn’t get to sweep the leg but that engine crit was beautiful.

I still need to look at the field a bit more but I think I can safely pressure the fire starter with my missiles

Blackjack

Running 2712 > 2612 > 2613 costs 8 movement but puts you at short range (7 hexes) for your LRMs to the Firestarter if you wanna try bringing it down. Should be 8s to hit.

I'll probably just jump to 2913 or 2712 to position myself for further pushes south and take another LL potshot.

anakha fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 12, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Orders in - 2913, shooting at the Firestarter.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

I'd say finishing off the Firestarter and taking out the Scorpion tank should be our priorities this turn since the PHawk and the Scorpion Mech both effectively have +3s to hit. Just keep in mind the Firestarter has a +1 to hit for being prone at range.

The PHawk could also jump to the area around 2917 next turn so the Hunchie playing area denial around there could be huge.

I'm thinking to jump to 2917/2613/2612 depending on what the rest of the team wants to move to.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let me know if you're committing to that move to 2518, as I may need to revise the orders I've already sent to jump to the hex you're vacating.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Wait I’m confused. Do you mean you’ll be landing in 2518, or that you’re jumping to where I currently am?

Landing in 2613, the hex you are leaving. Go ahead and take 2518.

Revised orders sent in.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Alright boys and girl, time to save the Hauptmann's rear end.

The PHawk might have a +3 to hit, but some of us can also close in to short range on it this turn and have 7's or 8's to hit. With the Dropship guns silenced for this round and next, this might be our best shot to complete the first main objective.

The two tanks near the dropship will be shooting at their long ranges, so as long as you max your movement, you should be fine against them. The Scorpion Mech's PPC might be a threat, but you can place yourselves in a hex where the PPC is at medium range and have the woods hex in 1913 interfering with its LOS for an additional +1 to-hit. The immobilized Scorpion tank might have its LRMs, but you can move within its minimum range.

Currently thinking of charging to 2216 or 2317 and firing on the PHawk, but let me know if you see a better move that I missed.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 19, 2023