Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Jeez, finally managed to catch up from the beginning.

My vote is to shove him into the mud, and or let him cook himself to death. Not even being worth shooting is absolutely the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Amechwarrior posted:

Dice roll of the game right here. Great job everyone, it's all led up to this.

A true thing of beauty. The only thing better would be knocking his PPC arm off and beating him with it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, if it wouldn't take too long, I would 100% demand bonks. We should probably just accept "coordinated beat down literally into the mud" and keep going.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scintilla posted:

Fun fact - of the 12 weapons fired during this turn's shooting phase, 10 were automatic hits. :golgo:

:rip:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheParadigm posted:

and the follow up

Today was good day
royal jerk thrown in pig sty
now we drink our beer

I punched a noble,
I even got paid for it!
It was a good day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

I punched a noble,
I even got paid for it!
It was a good day.

Jump jets billow smoke
Fail son only billows steam
It was a good day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Jump jets billow smoke
Fail son only billows steam
It was a good day.

Paid to pubby stomp???
Paid to mess this dumb gently caress up?!?!
It was a good day! :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Paid to pubby stomp???
Paid to mess this dumb gently caress up?!?!
It was a good day! :toot:

I'll buy the first round
I'll also buy the next round
gently caress it drinks on me :yotj:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

aniviron posted:

I seem to remember the contract stipulating that this training sim run might have a wrinkle in it later down the line...

Yeah, I assume this is going to be "Prince Dumb gently caress needs to go raid some pirates to show that he's a legitimate warrior and not to be trifled with," and we're going to be riding herd to bail his rear end out if anything happens.

I can only hope that the lance quality improves more the more secondaries we accomplish, so the final mission is "yeah they're mostly fine but there's an urbie that got past us, go stomp it thanks"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Something something The Ares Suggestions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

They're basically North Korea, they are obsessed with the idea that they are the arch enemy of a major power, and the most likely thing to kill their citizens is their own government. They also made not signing any kind of treaty about battlefield conduct their entire personality.

This reads as Space Texas though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

painedforever posted:

Really? That bad? Everyone in BattleTech has regressed to feudalism, but didn't TC have high education standards and decent medical facilities?

The Taurians brag about their universal literacy not because it makes them exceptional, but specifically because the Davions don't have it (the other four Great Houses all accomplish that feat). There's also nothing noteworthy about their medical technology, it's what you'd expect for the Periphery. Access to modern care on a handful of developed worlds, otherwise you're rubbing dirt in your wound.

This, and also "advanced" technology is a relative term here. Chemotherapy existing At All (only on New Avalon though) was apparently a giant coup for the Davions to crow over, since usually Space AT&T comes to give you a congratulatory hole in your head if it looks like you're doing something that might affect their complete technological dominance over the rest of the IS.

This was part of why The Clans were such a big deal, aside from being the Space Mongol Invasion. It wasn't just stuff half the size with twice the power, they had regular access to Lostech since Comstar didn't know they existed until they arrived.

... Actually, now that I think about it, did Comstar even bother looking at Wolf's Dragoons origins? Or did they just decide that the guys with access to functional warships and extremely effective weapons (iirc) that just appeared out of nowhere and DEFINITELY weren't the Minnesota Whatever-th just have just happened to stumble across a castle Brian?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, the Dervish's launchers are hot loaded so it's got no minimum range... at the cost of a mini ammo explosion if the launcher gets crit (with a chance for that to cascade into an ammo bin). That'll be a nasty surprise for recruits looking to get in close where all they'd normally have to worry about is the firepower equivalent of two Wasps.

That doesn't help the Quickdraw, but the Quickdraw's got better weapons to use at short ranges.

Is that only for the first shot, or for the entire fight?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

painedforever posted:

Aw dude...

Are we the bad guys here? 'cause it feels like it.

We are very specifically playing the bad guys at the good guy's dad's behest and payment. So yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Disappointing that we couldn't ring out the sentinel though. It would have been a delightful way to start the engagement.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's an interesting meta situation because scintilla has to act like he isn't aware of the players' thinking and honour the threat of them breaking out to the north even if they intend to do no such thing, which he can see by just reading the thread, which he has to by necessity

He's been doing ok with doing different types of actions for different characters based on their personalities. It's something the players don't have to do, at least.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Farseli posted:

Can a unit just spin in place to use running MP? Wondering if spinning up to running MP would allow for Evasive Action instead of shooting. Trying to picture this in my head is also hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlhgAkJBos

But in a mech.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:sbahj:

Popping the hunchback was a fantastic opportunity, and it paid off. With the commando legged, I would say head to the exit but try to get the hornet first, even though it will be a little bit of a slowdown.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SIGSEGV posted:

The Taurians can still win (on Taurian terms) if they destroy the bridge, find some civilians to war crime and set fire to an orphanage, place of worship, or hospital.

You say that as if it's optional, instead of now mandatory.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gotta admit, goons not letting someone go out in a blaze of glory as a "good job, you safely picked off that heavy, but the rest of the mechs got past you which was your primary objective. The orphanages are now aflame, hope you're happy" result is kind of disappointing. We got suckered by the glimmer of the bonus objective.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's definitely a minor victory for the goons but the fusiliers got some big kicks in this time

They got some kicks in, but still failed the objective. If goon lance didn't try to make a buck by hanging back, the result would be "congratulations, you destroyed a whole mech, and you only paid a 'capitol' price for it!" :dadjoke: That would be lovely and a pretty big rep hit for a Merc company, but for someone who's supposed to be the primary defense of the world it's pretty inexcusable.

Meanwhile, goon lance could have given them that hollow victory as a strong "keep your eyes on the prize" lesson. I feel like the secondary objectives were there as a distraction to lure players in and do exactly what they ended up doing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scintilla posted:

I can confirm that it's not a Helepolis. I actually did consider it, but then I realised that giving goons access to heavy artillery would probably definitely result in a shot scattering and causing a catastrophic friendly fire / collateral damage incident.

I'm confused why this would make you not do it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Extremely disappointed in the lack of a "shove a unit into a fuel tank to kill it" bonus objective.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

painedforever posted:

Note to players - please do this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"Oh, ok, you guys are going to just hang out there like a trap? Cool, we're going to start systematically destroying buildings here while you just sit there, lmk when you change your mind."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scintilla posted:

You have the patience of a saint for doing it for thirteen years. I've tried to be lenient so far, but from now on I'm putting my (justice) foot down.

Given that PTN interprets "I don't have your orders" as "silence implies a 0 movement, 0 weapon use order, enjoy standing still and just taking it, idiot" you're still quite a bit more generous in actually positively controlling the unit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm surprised the simulated Hetzer crew wasn't forced to bail out.

If you want to keep up the "break them apart piecemeal" tactic you could always knock out the vedette.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Would 0708 have LOS from anything except the Hetzer? Someone could just take a couple steps back and put the tank out of its misery.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

With great effort, Etienne swallowed his disappointment and opened a comm channel to the rest of the Fusiliers. The Hetzer had been a valuable asset, but in destroying it the mercs had chosen to linger in an area that was ripe for encirclement. He had already sprung that trap once, but if the mercs were going to let him do it again then who was he to complain?

This might have been an encirclement, except that it's more "we're not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with us" situation. Etienne is still trying to play the part of bait long after that's no longer relevant, and the rest of his lance is going to get chewed up as a result.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

biosterous posted:

absolutely this, it was great to utterly humiliate him when he was a shithead but now that he's growing up i want him to succeed (but i want goonlance to get cbills more than that)

Yep, I am glad that even the concept of encirclement and maneuver are present for him, it means he really could be reached :unsmith:

He just needs to start being a little more aggressive himself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Medium Building (Hex 1215); needs 0, rolls 8: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 1215) takes 10 damage, 30/40 CF remaining.
-Fires LRM-10 at Medium Building (Hex 1215); needs 2, rolls 8: 3 Missiles Hit! Medium Building (Hex 1215) takes 3 damage, 27/40 CF remaining.

... Whatcha doing there, Etienne?

Gwaihir posted:

almost entirely disarmed sentinel.

Dis-armed you say?

:dadjoke:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wedgekree posted:

Liking how the meta-plot here is going. The trainees are doing better this mission - point is that this is training after all. They're doing better with tactics and coordination so it's one jump jet at a time.

Same, at a minimum they can probably do something about pirate forces that try their luck, and can at least discourage opportunistic raids. It's much better than the first fight!

Our little pilots, growing up so fast :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

I’m thinking about that old counterstrike smoke effect lol

I was going to comment on how this is probably CPU bound not GPU bound, but then I realized
1) no, physics can be GPU now
2) In the magical Space 1980s this is MW2 mercs level graphics I'm sure, because they probably wouldn't have discrete GPUs for processing the rendering

So really anti aliasing is probably not something they have on a mid tier simulator. If they're lucky, there's anisotropic filtering.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SIGSEGV posted:

Goblin MVP, the little SRM carrier that could.

Getting awful cocky for something in stomping distance

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scintilla posted:

Full disclosure - I've been partly using this series of missions to experiment with various SPAs, since I've rarely used them before now. In retrospect I probably should have given him Sniper instead.

There is no one to challenge your retcon but you!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I wouldn't say that an AA mech can't exist so much as that it's a waste of a mech at this point. You're stuck loading flak rounds for your ACs to get the bonus, which is useless against other mechs. Once there exist weapons that have the flak bonus without being useless against a hard target, that's no longer quite so much the case. Still, you're mostly just fishing for lawn dart rolls so your main advantage, longevity under fire, is not quite so vital.

You can choose to load non flak rounds if there is no air threat, or have a smaller loadout of both flak and standard rounds?

I assume the dedicated AA vehicle will be cheaper, but won't be as useful for assaults.

Also, the whole concept of using Mechs comes apart if you stare too long at it, just accept that you're getting everything in the Stompiest fashion possible and enjoy your 10m death machines

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

someone is gonna try to escape in that karnov :thunk:

The card does say "Objective: wait for Paul Montagne"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

I mean he might die but we don’t have to want him dead

My thinking. He's at least working to learn, and to put in effort. That puts him way above the failson level by far.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The dice giveth, and the dice taketh away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Etienne is fine, there's realistically absolutely nothing a non jumping Hermes can do to a jump 5 unit with a big hill and forests like that to play with. The Phx can keep up, but a gunnery 4 pilot that is jumping while shooting at another jumping mech is going to score barely any damage at all.

:battletech:

He's probably fine, but the dice could be angry and land a critical that makes him fall. If nothing else, I don't like the idea that they're able to just 2v1 our VIP.