Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I remembered stumbling on a photo of a bloody scene in some article about Tetris. Something about a murder-suicide. I think it was rotten library back in the '00s.

It's still up https://www.rottenlibrary.net/library/culture/tetris/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then Dr. Drew put them on the same season of Celebrity Rehab and acted like it was a complete accident so he could continue abusing her but now on television.

Was Dr. Drew always a horrible quack or did that happen later because my memory of him on Loveline was "Dude with decent advice putting up with idiot co-host".

But that was also like 20 years ago at this point so I'm going to assume he always sucked and was just better at hiding it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

galagazombie posted:

It’s hilarious that they’ve adapted IT twice now and both times made the exact identical mistake of separate kids and adults chapters despite the adult parts in the book only being a framing device that makes up like a fourth of the book tops.

At least they basically knocked out of the park with the original Stand. I rewatched the 2020 version recently and then the 90's version and it was just baffling that the 90's movie had about 6 hours to tell the same story and managed to flesh out all of main cast and show the effects of the plague with less budget and is just insanely watchable and engaging, unlike the 2020 version that rushes to Boulder before meandering there for a while.

Also I barely cared about most of the cast or outright disliked them. Not to say it's not a talented cast, there's some really good actors in the 2020 version but they're wasted on a bad script and soulless direction.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If anybody read this and thought “why does the name Mike de Luca sound familiar?”, he’s the guy who wrote In the Mouth of Madness.

Dudes also been with New Line since the late 80's or early 90's, I know I've seen his name pop up in the credits of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies a couple times.

Zero_Grade posted:

Speaking of Stephen King novels, I'm still annoyed about the Dark Tower movie. It's clearly a property that (imo) needs the HBO-style big budget episodic adaptation for best results, instead of whatever the mess we got was.

Although considering how awful books 5 & 6 are, maybe it's for the best that it's never made.

Give it enough time and I'm sure we'll get a prestige TV adaptation at some point. I'm more surprised we didn't get a TV series while GoT was super hot.

Which reminds me I need to get finish the second book of that series. Probably should re-read Gunslinger because it's been a few years since I first read it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Mike Flanagan is doing an adaptation of The Dark Tower as a series for Amazon.

:getin: Flanagan is real good so I'm in, despite how much I hate dealing with Amazon and their stupid UI on my TV.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

2, 3, and 4 are all good, with 3 being my personal favorite and one of the reasons I think it would translate well to TV. I wish I could recommend skipping 5 and 6 because they really are dreadful, but you can't really. At least book 7 is somewhat better (it's not fantastic or anything, but alright enough and I'm also in the camp that likes the ending so there's that).

After skimming IMDB, I've seen nothing he's done, but it seems like he's generally well-regarded so here's hoping something decent comes out of it!

Absentia, Oculus and Dr. Sleep were all good and I've heard the Oujia sequel he did doesn't suck but I haven't seen that one yet. I don't think I ever got around to watching any of the Netflix series he did before canceling my subscription.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

The upcoming TMNT movie should just be a feature length adaptation of the superb game from last year.

This. Shredders Revenge rules and the soundtrack is killer.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

Just wait till they start scraping the barrel and do Robin Hood and Aristocats and Oliver & Company and The Great Mouse Detective and The Black Cauldron

Edit: Sword in the Stone, Rescuers, Fox and the Hound... They've got a lot of lovely runway left

Lol Disney wants everyone to forget the Black Cauldron happened. Mostly because it was a finacial bomb for them.

The rest? Almost certainly.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Because the French.

Presto posted:

Let's go the other direction. Make an animated version of The Black Hole.

I finally watched The Black Hole last year and it is such a bizarre movie I don't know if I actually enjoyed it or if I was just too busy being confused/amazed that Disney made something like it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

I unabashedly love The Black Hole and am of the opinion that it is a way better movie than people give it credit for.

Does it stick the landing? Not quite. And it tries to ask some deep philosophical questions that it doesn't really give a good answer to. But it has heart, great model work and a beautiful soundtrack by John Barry.

I absolutely agree with you about the score, the effects work, even the cast was interesting. I definitely need to watch it again because I went into it totally blind beyond "Weird Disney sci-fi movie that Anthony Perkins was in" and it's such a trip of a movie that I remember finishing it, and not really being able to figure out if I thought it was good or bad. It was interesting for sure and usually when I have that reaction to a movie I give it a second watch to get a better feel for it.

Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Double bill it with Tron, a movie I love more than I should.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

To be fair, we got a better deal with A View to a Kill in some respects. Christopher Walken is way more charismatic than Gert Fröbe as a Bond villain. Actually kind of foreshadowing the whole tech rear end in a top hat type that we're dealing with now. And at least May Day's about face isn't because of the power of rape.

On the other hand, Roger Moore was really showing his age by then. And I can't decide which title track is "better". Goldfinger is really when a lot of the now classic tropes of the franchise and James Bond character crystalized.

View to a Kill has a good theme but Living Daylights is the superior 80's bond theme. And I say that as someone who loves both Duran Duran and A-ha.

https://youtu.be/DfFbiFoAWjM vs https://youtu.be/Fp4CR2HcHLQ

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

duz posted:

Only if he's played by John de Lancie.

:dudsmile:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

:golfclap:
Not going to let this slip by unattended.

Also Reynolds was the highlight of Blade 3 if anything.

Hey now, HHH was fun as a big Mook vampire with his stupid silver teeth and Blade 3 has the best insult.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Dwayne didn’t use to be this big. He got there for his Hercules movie and has stuck with it for about 10 years now. Mid-2000s Dwayne looks kinda small by comparison.

Hell go watch any of his matches or promos from 1999/2000 and see how tiny he was back then. Dude was still in amazing shape but he hadn't become the muscle monster he is today.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remembering when a roided out Vince McMahon tore both quads simultaneously sliding into the wrestling ring for a TV bit

E: Dave Bautista won the fight, even without the tiny glasses that would later become his trademark

His son blew a quad on Sunday doing a leapfrog in the ring. Because Shane apparently forgot he's a man in his 50s who doesn't actively wrestle.

Vince blowing both sliding into the ring is still some of the funniest poo poo ever.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

And this is how I learned that Shane still wrestles, lol. Never change, WWE.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, "Still wrestles" is a big stretch.

"Showed up for the first time in a couple years for Mania" is more accurate. And when I say "Couple of years" I mean he came back briefly in 2019 or 2020 as an authority figure for a bit, probably wrestled a match or two and then bounced again.

Snoop Dogg subbed in for Shane at Mania and did a people's elbow to Miz to win the "Fill time with the Miz and Snoop hosting" segment.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

duz posted:

Supposedly all those rip off movies were rejected scripts they filed the names off of.

Not going to lie, Banana Splits Movie was a lot of fun. Really gory too which was a surprise. I'm pretty sure those were robots. It had a very "FNAF with the serial number filed off" except it had the Banana Splits which I'm only aware of because it was on Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

G14 was fine the 1st time around but I haven't been able to sit through it again without getting bored. KotM was a mess but I had a good time. Godzilla vs. Kong was dope but had a lot of distractingly hokey vfx shots.

What I'm saying is Shin Godzilla is best Godzilla and it's not even close.

Shin Godzilla loving rules.

Also Skull Island is dumb as hell and I loved every stupid minute of it.

I know I saw KOTM and GvK but I don't remember much of either besides giant monsters fighting.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sorry, best I can do is 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1MvSkNKb0

(Although this has Lee and Cushing in it, it is by no means good)

Also re: Hopping Vampires (Jiangshi) you should look up Mr. Vampire and Encounters of the Spooky Kind which are both incredibly entertaining.

Aww cmon now, you're telling me you don't enjoy seeing Dracula run around the swinging early 70's England?!

Ok I admit most of the later Hammer Dracula films are not good, but at least they're amusing. "Satanic Rites of Dracula" is straight up bonkers nonsense. https://youtu.be/eMAgmFScQvU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream Metroid movie would still be a quasi-documentary about Chozo history and mythology like Fata Morgana. Like just literally send Werner Herzog and some Metroid accurate costumes and props to Greenland and let him go wild for a couple of months. The only requirements he should be given is that the story should generally be about a bounty hunter named Samus learning all this stuff and that she has cool armor and some random Metroid Prime lore entries to stick to for the narration like "Chronicles of the Chozo Part II" and "Small Energy Refill".

Is Klaus Kinski still alive, and if so, how do we get him in this movie.

He can be Ridley.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cast him as Kano, what the gently caress are you doing Hollywood.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean the guy they got Kano in the first one was good so don't replace him. Just let him do his thing more

Wait Kano was in the reboot movie?!

I have seen it and I honestly don't remember much about it. I was talking to a friend last night about this news and I said the new MK Movie was "Both better and worse than the original".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

We Got Us A Bread posted:

They ended it suddenly, in the middle of filming a season, not after they had a season finished. They were going to finish filming that season, but nope..the terrible crew wanted to join a union.

:thunk: could it be that the corporation is bad and hates unions? No, surely they wouldn't do something so obvious and petty.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that's the thing, who looks at this bleak nihilistic portrait of the arms trade and says "I see a franchise here"?

They made 2sequels to Jarhead.

Edit: correction IMDB says there were actually 3 sequels

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Looks flat and lifeless compared to the original, and it’s trying to do some cartoon physics stuff that doesn’t work at all with the overall approach of quasi-realism; more stylized direction might be able to sell the idea that a little crab could pull a full-sized mermaid to a stop, but that’s not what Marshall et al are doing here

https://twitter.com/etnow/status/1656011151220801536?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA

Thanks I hate it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Monks are an underpowered class, let them Deflect Missiles all they want :argh:

Pick a better class next time!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I honestly can't believe this thing has any legs left. There hasn't been a new game since the disastrous "Security Breach" two years ago and Scott got outted as a republican dipshit not long before that.

Also there have been at least 2 other movies that just ripped off the "Killer kids entertainment animatronics" bit that came and went in the time it's taken for this thing to drag itself out of development.

At least it's coming to Peacock so maybe it'll be worth an hour on a Saturday afternoon when I'm bored and remember I have a Peacock subscription.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

If it's coming to Peacock they'd be smart to just be like hey 5 Nights creator gently caress you we own your poo poo now and just incorporate it into Chucky. Damballah can't be the ONLY spirit who was invoked with bad timing to get someone stuck in a doll after all.

That would be smart, but he's got his name in the credits for the script, which TBH could mean he wrote a draft at somepoint in the life of the production, or it means he actually worked on the final draft that was shot and will be released later this year.

So I would assume that he was smart enough not to completely gently caress himself over on rights, and could in theory take them to court if they tried to do a crossover he didn't like, but I'm speculating wildly about a contract negotiation that I have absolutely no knowledge of other than as I said, wild speculation and extrapolation from what little I know about hollywood contracts and such.

Also the Banana Splits movie was way better than it had any right to be and deserves your viewership more than the FNAF movie. It's also gory as hell which I'm almost positive this FNAF movie won't be. PG-13 tops.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's John Carpenter, someone gave him a bag of money he could use to buy more Fallout 76 merch and keep making electronic music and said sure why not.

More power to him.

John Carpenter and his lack of fucks to give/love of video games and banger electronic music is what I aspire to be when I'm his age.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Are we getting a HCU

What does your heart (and by heart I mean capitalism + the last decade of CU bullshit) tell you?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

People loved Top Gun Maverick

But have you considered that "Plane go zoom pew pew pew"?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

davidspackage posted:

:( man, that sucks to hear. I know GDT's movies aren't always financial hits, but he's one of the most creative writer-directors out there. Studio bosses are probably like "an original property? Nahhh, how about you do a remake of something that came out five years ago?"

edit: adding quote for new page

Executives are not creatives. They do not give a poo poo about anything but making money number go up and remaking poo poo that people recognize is more likely to make number go up than an original idea that gasp might fail.

GDT is a dude with big ideas that cost a lot of money. Money that could be lost if the movie isn't the biggest thing since *insert bajillon dollar property* thus we cannot take the risk because the executives would lose a couple of cents from their bank accounts and heaven forbid they lose those cents!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

*Black* Thunder Cat, as we have now established that having electrical powers is what makes you black.

His name is Panthro
:goonsay:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

How do we make the purge movies even more tryhard? I know

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1677320176113426437

They're not so much try hard as they are just extremely unsubtle in their social commentary. Like yes, the rich are bad, no poo poo Purge series.

That said, still like all of them except the first and last one. The TV series was pretty good too

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

Highlander: The Series? It wasn't good, but it was definitely schlock.

Still better than the Crow TV series.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hasturtium posted:

I didn’t know what to expect from Blue Beetle, but “Latino teenaged Iron Man, but blue” wasn’t on my bingo card. These movies make me feel tired.

That's pretty much the gist of the character. Well that and doing buddy comedy poo poo with Booster Gold.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

I've only ever seen this beetle in the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon, is the comic similar to this portrayal?

I want to say once Jaime took on the mantle, yes. Maybe not quite as zanzy as Brave and the Bold (which is a great god drat show) but certainly a bit more lighthearted. And like I said, him and Booster Gold doing buddy comedy shenanigans.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There are a lot of good ideas in this one but it's difficult to get through between the terrible effects and the very mid-90s "humorous" racism.

Counter point: Melinda Clarke as Julie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

They’ll have to explain why it was in fact not woke once number go up

Dastardly SJWs buying up all the tickets! It's a psyop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Nobody actually "wants" to "have fun" at "the movies", that is capitalist propaganda. There were no movies in the Soviet Union for just that reason.

Andrei Tarkovsky would beg to differ.