Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No mention of Nope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

He is definitely playing Fred Flintstone

They'll never top the original movie casting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kind of an interesting thing is that the transformation gives Billy a chance to be a kid more than being an actual kid does. He finally has something going on in his life that distracts him from his abandonment, and he takes a genuine interest and has fun with it.

I did love the whole montage where Billy and Freddy are using the scientific method to figure out how his powers work and practice with them. It's pretty traditional for a superhero to start out unaware of their full abilities and being comically clumsy wand unable to control their powers, and there's a few ways to play with that which can work very well, but it is fun to see it done that way- both having fun with it and showing genuine interest in learning and trying new things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zero_Grade posted:

loving lol that of all things to remake you pick Lord of the Rings, movies that caught lightning in a bottle and turned out incredible against all odds.

And is pretty much the template for 21st century movie franchises. They've already been trying to recapture that lightning with varying degrees of success.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martman posted:

idk I feel like lotr is at least a little bit about how you can destroy Satan and then usher in a golden age

It's really not a golden age they're ushering in- if anything it's the end of one, despite also beating the big bad guys. The marvellous friendly magical people all have to leave sooner or later as the world can't sustain them any more, and the great heroes and the societies they fought so hard to protect are all going to fade into myth and mundane history. And none of the heroes made it out without scars, physical and mental, Frodo and Bilbo explicitly leave with the Elves because the Ring's left a mark on them that can't be healed anywhere else, and Sam knows he'll eventually join them. All the best they can hope for is that life goes on, and there is joy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ynohtna posted:

Neal put all his points into the Outsider stat, leaving none left for Art.

Too much Inland Empire not enough Conceptualisation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martman posted:

the turtles should be played by Italians, this is erasure

And suddenly remembered the Lego Movie joke of Michelangelo and Michaelangelo.

Mikey is apparently the arty one now incidentally, I bet they'd get along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder if it's not helping with corporate loving around with projects trying to have all that Synergy and then of course regularly panicking and cancelling a ton of poo poo when their intended big tentpole is a bloated, incoherent mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Nonono, if he's the protagonist of a hypothetical Troll 1 remake, Chalamet would be playing the character of Harry Potter Jr.

It's a testament to the legacy of Troll 2 that it has so completely eclipsed the first movie in the public consciousness that nobody even cares that the first one stars a character named Harry Potter Jr.

Get Daniel Radcliffe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zack Snyder's Pumaman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Who was the director who did his own remake of Psycho shot for shot, not for any intent to release it but just as an educational experience?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty typical for Hollywood suits to really not understand what the actual appeal of something popular is and just mandate the insertion of random elements from the popular thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spectre's ending was so bad it was hilarious. It's like something out of a parody.

I still just want a Bond movie to end with him fighting a Metal Gear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

I have to admire Christoph Waltz for adhering to the Bond movies' most sacred tradition, that the best Bond Villain actors end up in the absolute worst Bond movies. He can take his place alongside Walken and Lee.

Reminds me of how someone said that Pierce Brosnan got better at Bond as the movies got worse.

Alhazred posted:

Somehow they're still making live action Asterix and Obelix movies. I don't know what's wilder, that they've been doing it for two decades and yet only been able to make five movies, not even once making a good movie, or that Zlatan Ibrahimović is playing a roman legionnaire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBknYdEECsw

Asterix is huge in France and popular around Europe, and most of the books hold up pretty great.

The only good movies are the animated ones, of course. Absolutely a case for 'I've seen lots of live action movies that should have been animated, I've never seen any animated movies that should have been live action.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

"Good Job 007 now that you've knocked out the African dignitary, take his clothes and assume his identity"

I literally can't not hear that as Diana Burnwood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn't know James Bond had such a similar upbringing to Batman.

I'm pretty sure basically everyone was saying Skyfall absolutely turned Bond into Batman, complete with his own Alfred.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Bond’s parents dying in a ski accident was a detail Fleming put into You Only Live Twice the novel, released in ‘64. A couple years after Dr. No was in theaters. Not sure how many movies mention it but it’s been some random trivia that I thought was pretty common knowledge about the character.

Heh, definitely not common knowledge. But that they chose to remember and specifically play up that detail is a deliberate choice nonetheless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A XCOM TV show would be great as long as it heavily references UFO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded that the Jack Reacher movie has an action scene that's one big Three Stooges homage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

High Warlord Zog posted:

DC may have gone ahead with their Miller movie and still plan to release it, but outside of that EM has nothing lined up. It's likely The Flash is the last time we'll ever see them in a major motion picture.

Yeah, just because WB/DC is doing it doesn't mean it's actually a good idea. Which should be fairly screamingly obvious by now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Filmmaking is literally the art of smoke and mirrors, and you use whatever tools are available and seem to work the best for a particular shot. All those blooper spotters point out a lot of places where props are swapped around between scenes, as well as stunt doubles and so on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Have Scully and Mulder find and kill Q in the first season or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

There was reporting recently that the animated X-Files spin off is officially dead.

I was gonna say that'd be awesome if they did it like the old Men In Black animated series, but then lol'd remembering The Springfield Files happened and may be canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sourdough Sam posted:

I can only think of animated ones. GDT's Pinocchio was in development for at least 10 years. Phil Tippet had been trying to make Mad God for even longer.

I guess James Cameron was trying to get Avatar made since the 90s and I understand that was something of a success.

Pretty sure Titanic was also his passion project.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

The new Puss In Boots is okay but very derivative. You can tell that they saw Spiderverse during pre-production and decided to just do all the action sequences like that for some reason.

Because it looks loving awesome, that's why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mike Myers seems to just drastically overestimate the appeal and novelty of putting on a stupid accent and appearing to be vaguely foreign. It's not the early 90s anymore, and he's not Sacha Baron Cohen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is with passion projects is that if they're actually A: good ideas in the first place and 2: allowed to be made well with adequate resources and creative freedom, they can be, y'know, some of the best and/or most profitable movies in the world, because the people in charge are bringing their A-game and allowed to show it off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indeed. I think one of the key factors here is that 'high-profile actor starring in adaptation of mediocre children's book only boomers remember, or something that might as well be' is one of the 'not a good idea' categories. Hell, the Simpsons made fun of it with Troy McClure.

Doesn't help it has heavy overlap with actors suddenly doing a bunch of mediocre to garbage kids movies because they want to make appropriate fare for their own kids, or just pass themselves off as family-friendly in attempts to break out of their niche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean the original marketing for Last Duel had them as the leads which let's be honest no one could believe either would care about a woman more than they do each other

They don't, that's literally the point of the movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

B-Rock452 posted:

Pain and Gain was where he went insane

There's a rap in here somewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Pain and Gain came out first but the physical transformation was done for Hercules.

A lot of people were mad that the trailers conned them into seeing what turned out to be a demythologized Hercules movie, but I thought it was pretty decent.

We have enough 'demythologised' movies as it is, and a lot seem to miss that if King Arthur doesn't pull a sword from a stone and fight evil enchanters and giants, then you'd better actually make him an interesting character in some other way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe they're going to get the Walking Dead writers to do it so "Rich art thief falls in love with the insurance investigator chasing him" can get two seasons just for the initial art theft.

I feel like this is just gonna turn into Sly Cooper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's still lol they didn't do a Harry Potter animated series, which woulda fit perfectly, but you know how people are like about cartoons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Godzilla + Kong, star-crossed romance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not sure if it was on purpose but like how the control setup for Mechagodzilla is basically a Drift.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

KOTM is filled with awesome looking shots that seem designed precisely for a kick rear end trailer. I love the overhead shot of Rodan and the wake of destruction.

Best bit of the movie by far is the fighter pilot ejecting but he falls straight into Rodan's mouth lmao

Say what you want about the Monsterverse but they definitely manage some kickass visuals. The Godzilla 2014 trailer with the HALO jump comes to mind.

Also some of the discourse about 2014 was lol, like some poster picking up on a blatantly obvious framing theme of the movie and calling it a 'mistake they keep making'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeh I'd love to get some of that vampire hunter D

Canonically so do much of the cast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

One thing I'll say is the people who wants this prequel movie to have "G1 cartoon designs" are crazy because in G1 the Cybertronian people have the same designs they have on Earth 4 million years later with only their vehicle modes being different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ujpoDlgRU

This a chance to make up new designs for the characters like the High Moon games and Transformers Animated did, which recalls their Earth forms without looking too similar.

Most G1 Transformers fans don't actually remember G1 at all. Funny thing is the Michael Bay movies actually make a lot more sense if you figure he specifically used G1 for ideas, because that show is bizarre, ridiculous and sometimes downright batshit crazy. A lot more human antagonists than anything since, too. And not particularly watchable outside of novelty value, the animation and voice acting is VERY 80s and not in a good way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do they bother with their vehicle forms at all when the entire planet has watched these giant robots fighting for the past fifteen years?

Merchandising funds the war effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah comedy sequels are tough and one after so long is weird. But Dodgeball was good so hopefully this one is too

Is there any reason to believe it would be?