Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vegetable posted:

Even by Ted Lasso standards this show has been too chummy. Nate shouldn’t suddenly become a good family man and also get the girl. Keely shouldn’t be a successful businessperson and mend her relationships with her staff and embark on a frictionless new queer relationship. I think Ted Lasso works best when it’s about accepting failure and cherishing the silver linings. Everybody wins is some ancient network TV bullshit.

Keeley's relationship is a recipe for toxic disaster though. It definitely feels like they're building to something with that. Keeley is professionally and financially dependent on Jack - it's dodgy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Data Graham posted:

What is up with the gray hair anyway? It happened all of a sudden and I thought it was going to be some Twin Peaks poo poo

It happened gradually throughout season 2 as he became more of a oval office.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bobjr posted:

The "Ted's son was actually the bully" plot also seems weirdly out of place in this season.

I actually forgot about that. They did... nothing at all with it did they? We don't really know what happened or why, and it's not come up between them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it not cheaper to have the characters sing the song rather than play the studio recording?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scott Forstall posted:

also, as a premier league manager who got his team promoted the season after they got relegated, he has to be making millions, right?

The show really doesn't like to dwell on the fact that pretty much every character is absurdly wealthy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Is there really that kind of money behind these teams? I wouldn't bat an eye if this was the NFL, but aren't these smaller local teams? I just did a quick Google and it seems like there are 7 of these teams just in London? I'm trying to translate that to the NFL or the larger collegiate teams in the US, but the US teams seem like they have so much more available population per fan base.

It... it's the premier league. It's sort of big.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Like, I assume fans of the Detroit Lions are almost entirely from Michigan, and there's like 10 million people in Michigan. That's more people than live in London, and London is divided up between 7 teams, so like, I just don't understand how any one of these teams is worth that much.

Most of this has been comprehensively answered already but it's worth noting that supporting a club in the UK isn't entirely down to geography. While plenty of people support their local club (so North London is divided up between Tottenham and Arsenal, Manchester between City and United etc), many, many more people support clubs for other reasons. Usually it's inherited from family, or because they just find them the most entertaining to watch. Or because they're winning.

The UK is small enough that you could feasibly support just about any major team and travel to see their home matches every fortnight if you really wanted to.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LividLiquid posted:

Why would somebody who's never been to, say, Manchester be a U fan? That's bananas. And pretty cool.

Sometimes it's glory hunting, usually it's inherited from friends or family that support the team. Or you might just be a fan of how they play.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BooDooBoo posted:

Also tea is awful.

gently caress you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really liked that episode. :shrug:

I know people are talking like the series is wrapping up or heading for a spinoff - but they've specifically said they haven't decided if this is the end haven't they? I remember Nick Mohammed said on the Off Menu podcast the other week that he doesn't know if it'll carry on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Penitent posted:

It felt very weird for Rebecca to intentionally spit tea all over Ted's face for the sake of an inside joke callback.

Like... Ted handed her the customary box of biscuits with clockwork precision and then she intentionally spit tea in his face... wtf.

I vaguely remembered that this was a reference to something earlier in the show but I couldn't tell you for the life of me what it was. It's an odd decision to end the episode with something that'll confuse a big chunk of the audience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smackfu posted:

The part that confused me was that I thought the whole point of that kind of league would be to not invite the Richmond-level teams.

I got the impression she was there because Rupert specifically asked and invited her to score points in his petty game. And Akufo agreed for... Reasons. Most likely tokenism as it sounds like she's the only female owner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like some of the ambiguity is deliberate at the moment. Maybe it'll come out in the finale.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I sort of like that idea actually. It would explain why she suddenly started liking Nate out of nowhere (assuming the Jade we saw in previous seasons was real) and why Nate left the team.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PantsBandit posted:

Depression is a joke and also is something you get over after a talk with your mommy.

That's not what happened in the episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Data Graham posted:

I'm wondering where Jamie picked up that Mancunian accent when neither of his parents (I think, can't remember his dad) had much of one.

Just a Royle Family superfan growing up or what

I'm guessing he was raised in Manchester since his mum lives there?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tweak posted:

the video review uncertainty

This is most certainly a thing in football.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

higgins valued the club at around two billion. he was the one who said they had offers for the 49% so you have to assume his estimate for the full thing is pretty close.

so how did the fans raise a billion to buy the 49%?

Mae is a secret billionaire.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know much about company trading (beyond what the psychopaths in Industry get up to) but could Rebecca have agreed to sell the shares to the fans below their estimated value?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hed posted:

Let's not act like petering out in later seasons isn't something Bill Lawrence can do

At least season 8 was a pretty good ending.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Adrianics posted:

I'd be very surprised to see Brett Goldstein involved, I would think he's too busy with his commitments in Hollywood.

His only major ongoing/upcoming credit is Shrinking as far as I know. And a voice role in the Garfield movie I guess.

He has an MCU role but it feels unlikely that they'll do anything with his character any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sheri posted:

And he's supposed to find a place to live in another country when he doesn't know for sure when he's coming back during almost all of that three years?

He at least knew a week in advance. That's enough place to find a quick temporary rental when you're a multi millionaire.