Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Columbus turning around and sending Quick to a division rival is very funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Punch Broadbent

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This is going to be a fun run down the stretch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jhet posted:

I don’t care that they aren’t playing, and they should keep getting paid. I care that more players aren’t getting paid as much because Arizona is cheating the system. That’s a handful of extra contracts, and a bunch of raises for players in Arizona just so they hit the cap floor.

They're getting mad at me there. Because Oungey got mad Chychrun was getting paid to sit in the press box and players should play. I'd like to hear their thoughts on the cap being good or bad (it isn't).

whatis posted:

this woman has broken a bunch of news this week and I'm hoping she's right about this too because it has the potential to be very funny

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631364834934546444

She just won't hockey write of the year. Shayna rules and is a legitimate insider. If you're on Twitter and like hockey she's a nobrainer follow. For the last weeks she's been doing Gossip Girl tweets about the TDL and it's been pretty funny.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I still think about when Torts got mad at the players for stepping on the Rangers crest in the locker room.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

secret volcano lair posted:

Perhaps this humbling reminder of the total irrelevance of their team in the broader sports world context will be the spark that convinces Rangers fans to reconsider their smug attitudes toward smaller market franchises, ushering in a new era of harmony and mutual respect

Cocky and smug is way more fun than woe is me I'm a martyr. Wonerllama cracks me up and rules.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

No one should ever try to convince Tortorella to do something he doesn't want to do because he'll just mail it in

From Seattle

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This rules. I hope Kravtsov becomes a good player and makes Drury and Gallant look like idiots. It's ridiculous that he never got a fair shake here from 2 different coaches.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tony D reunited with his best friend. They're gonna restart their podcast.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Who the gently caress is Dryden Hunt

Analytics darling 4th liner who stinks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1631757631126740998?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

What's an Anthony Blidh?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/bardown/status/1633185279354732545

Lmao

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I think Briere was running the Rangers ECHL team when Drury took over?

Drury has been up and down but he was an advisor to Gorton and the Hartford GM before taking over and it's worked out. Then again, Gorton built the team.

We constantly bitch about the old boys club but it's good to see some new guys (even if they're familiar faces) step in.

If I was a Flyers fan I'd be cautiously optimistic?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's an interesting thought exercise--how many individual players in the league would you trade the Bedard pick for, the trade is one for one, if you had it? Obviously you would trade it for McDavid in a heartbeat. Obviously you wouldn't trade it for Crosby or Ovi, as much as Marketing would love it in the short term. But Bedard isn't a certain thing whereas established stars are, so... how low would you go? Would you trade the Bedard pick for, say, Pastrnak? Fox? Kasperi Kapanen?

Absolutely not. I can't think of a player id trade Fox for, known or unknown. He's that drat good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m begging the refs to call blatantly obvious penalties instead of calling them at random. The Sabres outplayed the Rangers for 90% of the game but lost due to a penalty call in OT when the refs called almost nothing the entire game. Early in the game, JJ Peterka was hit in the face by a high stick six feet in front of a ref who did nothing. Then later they called a non-existent hooking on Girgensens. loving embarrassing league.

Edit: yes I am mad that my team played an incredible, complete game and lost because of some bullshit!!!

We’re we watching the same game? I thought it was pretty even and both teams played well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

th3t00t posted:

Anecdotal, I know, but the Rangers fan sitting next to me at the game would say a variation of "I can't believe it, the refs usually hate us!", every time the Rangers would get away with a blatant penalty. He said it at least 5 times. Also said "Wow, the refs really hate Buffalo!" a few times.

They're not wrong! But it was a pretty fun game to watch last night. Buffalo attack like crazy and the Rangers finally learned to play some defense again. The third period was back and forth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

gently caress I really am turning into a 80s Islanders fan

FTFY

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Garden was fun tonight and they showed all the cartoon stuff on the Jumbotron.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm happy for Blais. He was a lump of poo poo here and Tank has been awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/nyrangers/status/1637278290766356482?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

Igor was A+ tonight. Glad to see him rounding into form.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

A guy making 8 million a year gets free rent in Pittsburgh. This is bullshit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Same for MLS here in NY. No one gives a shiiiit about NYCFC or the Red Bulls.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Jack Han (who was a video scout for the Leafs at the time) confirmed in a post today that Dubas’ target in the 2018 draft was K’Andre Miller until the Rangers traded up to get him and I will continue to be upset about that for a very long time

https://youtu.be/5asSo5XWtzc

:owned:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man that amazing goal from one year ago sure would have hit the spot in their recent 7-2 loss

He had 2G and 2A in one period the other night. That might help?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

pseudodragon posted:

The good thing about bullshit like this is that it makes it obvious which orgs are decent and which ones are garbage.

Considering how much they all leech off taxpayer money to fill their Scrooge McDuck vaults, they're all garbage. Some just more than others.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pungry posted:

Thanks guys. I'll go back to never feeling good about anything ever.

There's nothing wrong with being happy about Pride Night. It's awesome and I'm incredibly angry at Dolan for cancelling it in the city that is home to the Stonewall riots.

But one corporate whitewashing night doesn't make the shitbags who own these teams good. Broken clock, etc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1638949431016824834

Shesty’s new mask is a Richter tribute.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who's the oldest goaltender who will be available this summer? Could $5M persuade Craig Anderson to go one more year? Could it lure Mike Smith back?

Asking for a friend who absolutely probably doesn't work for the Penguins.

If he doesn’t retire, Halak?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah I think the Canes are gonna be fine without Svech. This sucks and I hate it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Just blast this from every screen of every arena every game for the rest of the season. A+

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

secret volcano lair posted:

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1640015222000988160

Congratulations to the New York Rangers. The Devils are incredibly loving stupid and Mackenzie Blackwood is going to gift you the first round

Nope, not falling for this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Okposo isn't saying poo poo there. It's just a mealy mouthed non answer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

I think that card explains nicely why they’re boring as poo poo to watch, fun teams are good in transition. The Hurricanes cycle and grind you to death with shots from anywhere while doing it

I realized this last week for the 2 games the Rangers played against them. They’re a very good team but they suck all the fun out of a game and are a chore to watch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers punched their playoff ticket.

If they beat Columbus tomorrow night, thursday’s game against NJ is huge.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Excellent deal for Chytil. Still underrated as hell (only below Kakko).

https://twitter.com/based_shesty/status/1641217923640442880

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 30, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Weren't Rangers fans down on Chytil like, as recently as last season? Or am I thinking of another bozo

He’s gotten labeled as injury prone (so was Mika). and he was a little streaky but he caught fire in the playoffs last year and has been drat good this season. Needs to be a little more consistent but hes still young (which is crazy considering hes been in the league for 5 years).

Easily Gorton’s best pick during his tenure.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Pretty sure Laf is what he is at this point. Good, not exceptional.

Nope. He's flashed some serious skill but just hasn't been consistent. He will get there.

It's funny because Chytil is only 23 and is going on his 5th year and 300games and only now is rounding into form.

They'd be very stupid to give up on Laf at this point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

When we say "get there" what do we mean? He was projected as a superstar for a while before he played on the Rangers and it's hard to think of anyone who turned their career around to that degree. I don't think people are doubting that he could turn in to a productive player but meeting his potential seems off the table. They're not going to give up on him in the sense of waiving him or trading him for a 5th rounder but when's the next time they give him an extended shot on the first powerplay?

Predeaft hype is what it is. What I meant was he's is not what he is right now. He's got a ton of room to grow. Not to superstar status (which is disappointing) but I think he will be a very good first liner eventually.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lafreniere just scored a beauty

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1642581726047158274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

I think you could more simply call it frustration, but sure, write that fanfic.

I said this in the GTD but Goodrow definitely got away with an elbow on Ovie that the refs missed but the reaction to that was loving ridiculous and then Wilson was the icing on the cake.

I'm glad the Rangers didn't really take the bait.