Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1631070638457643011

Wow how rude, the Kings didn't even observe a day of mourning for Quick.

This is a good trade, Portillo didn’t want to sign with Buffalo anyway. He’s going to graduate college this year so he’ll still require another few years to develop. Sabres have Devon Levi coming down the pipeline so that third rounder is more valuable right now.

They still kinda need to fix their goaltending situation right now, Kevin Weekes tweeted rumors that they are shopping UPL which doesn’t make sense to me. They need someone to play in a tandem with UPL and Anderson can’t play too often or he turns into a pumpkin like last night. Eric Comrie is bad and probably has no trade value, would be cool if they could dump him for someone decent but they probably won’t be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pungry posted:

Karel Vejmelka is the answer, and the Coyotes seem to be accepting literally anything at this point for their flotsam.

If they could trade Comrie and somebody and a pick for Vejmelka or something like that, that would be extremely good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage Thompson has the same number of points as Pasta, but is signed for $5m less per year. Tage contract continues to be the best.

Sabres fans on Twitter are melting down because Kevyn Adams hasn’t sold the farm for a guy who might help them sneak into the playoffs, even though there’s zero chance they win a round. Also the trade deadline is over a day away, gonna laugh so hard if he makes some blockbuster trade and they all have to eat poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sabres should get Karlsson imo

Selling the farm for a guy who’s one injury away from blowing up his ankle, brilliant! Get on the phone, Kevyn!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

T-Bone posted:

Doesn't Buffalo need defense and goaltending? Outside of Karlsson dream move there's not a whole lot out there for that.

Hronek would have been a reasonable move for them, but not sure they could have beat Vancouver's offer comfortably, or that Detroit would have traded him in division.

I'd say like Garland or Boeser could be an interesting pickup for a young team that's still growing and has cap space, but they're so loaded on wing as it is.

They do need to get a goaltender, UPL has been decent but Comrie has been bad and Anderson is done after this season.

As for defense, they just got Riley Stillman who is likely an upgrade over Jacob Bryson but probably not enough to have a huge impact. If they got another RHD to replace Jokiharju that would be cool but otherwise idk what else they could do.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fawning deference posted:

I think with the gauntlet the East is, Buffalo probably shouldn't be too aggressive and focus more on keeping their young core together and making smaller depth moves to see if they can sneak in to a WC spot.

I don't know who else is available on the D/G front.

I agree that making an aggressive move could backfire. There are a few players that are expendable but selling the farm for a pending UFA would be a mistake. Also Buffalo trading their first round pick this year would also be a mistake.

We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes right now, the GM of Arizona might have asked for too much from Buffalo which was why they traded with Ottawa, whose 1st rounder is going to be more valuable than Buffalo’s.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

T-Bone posted:

I forgot that the corpse of John Klingberg hasn't been moved yet, maybe Buffalo will get him

I’ve seen the talking heads throw his name around, would be a, “maybe he’ll play well in a different environment/system!” trade like with Stillman.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1631391452419727380?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Lmao

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grack posted:

1.6M in cap space

They don’t need cap space, I don’t think???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1631396877454176263?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Albino Squirrel posted:

"Kessel" means "boiler" in German so I presume it's an occupational name like Smith or Taylor (or, Schmidt or Schneider, as the case may be).

It’s cognate with English “kettle” but can also mean “cauldron.” You’re right that it’s probably the name of someone who made cauldrons. For witches???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

With Dahlin and Tuch on IR and no moves at the deadline I think it's safe to stick a fork in the Sabres playoff chances. They had been treading water for the past 10 or so games, along with all of the other Eastern WC contenders but are now 0-2 without Tuch/Dahlin and they have the 2nd hardest remaining strength of schedule in the league.

Not falling out of the WC race until March is a success for this joke of a franchise, but the way it played out is pretty disappointing. The holes in this lineup are so glaringly obvious and they just refuse to fix them, while sitting on $25mil in cap space.

I also think there's going to be very little movement by the Sabres in the offseason.

Craig Anderson will retire and they'll roll with UPL and Comrie with Levi signing his ELC and heading to Rochester.

The entire defense is signed through next season. Ryan Johnson will sign his ELC, or he'll turn into a 2nd round comp pick in 2024.

Okposo, Girgensons and Hinostroza are UFAs and Jost is an RFA.

Okposo: nice little resurgence last season, named captain over the summer, lost another 2 steps and is completely cooked this year. Almost guarantee they'll extend him.

Girgs: Fine 4th line guy with good defensive metrics at 5v5. Hope they resign him

Jost and Hino likely gone

I expect the Sabres will wait for the dust to settle in UFA and sign a bargain bin NHL/AHL tweener or two for the 4th line and make no other moves of note. And I expect to be right back here next March falling out of the WC race again.

They scored 7 goals in their win vs Washington on Sunday without Dahlin & Tuch. Sorry about your short-term memory loss.

People saying the team is doomed because they lost to the Bruins in Boston, where they’ve only lost five times? Really? Their schedule is going to be tough but don’t count them out yet.

Okposo might retire at the end of this season. Not sure why they wouldn’t keep Jost, he’s been good and they wouldn’t let an RFA walk. I would think Kevyn would want to trade Hinostroza instead of letting him walk but they’ll need him while Tuch is out so :shrug: your hyperbolic pessimism is pretty stupid, actually!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

I'd have plenty of hope left if Dahlin and Tuch were healthy.

Washington had just sold off Orlov and Hathaway, hard to find a team more checked out than them.

Did you forget the 5-3 blowout loss at home to the last place Blue Jackets?

Cool so you’re agreeing that they won a game without Dahlin and Tuch and that you’re wrong? Columbus game was embarrassing and might come back to bite them, but only time will tell.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/1631720935123296276?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Granato is making it sound like Buffalo isn’t going to make any more trades.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Look, this is the kind of poo poo that shows up on my timeline that has me laughing

https://twitter.com/vindestefano1/status/1631723983799238656?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

This was apparently about Philly shopping JVR for a third rounder but like lmao at this guy making up a weird hypothetical situation then getting himself into a tizzy about it. That poo poo is hilarious.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Simplex posted:

Apparently Greenway to Buffalo for a 2nd and 5th

Jhet posted:

Thank goodness.

Sorry Buffalo, guy is big but doesn't seem motivated to do anything with his size or hands this year.

He played under Donny G in the USA development program and was teammates with Tage Thompson. Don clearly thinks he can fix Greenway. Sounds like he might find some motivation here?

They also did an AHL defenseman swap with Anaheim.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jhet posted:

I hope so, he has a good shot, but he's just kind of been coasting this year and it's not fun to see. Absolutely dominant defensively last year, still decent this year.

That’s exactly what they need right now, so if he pans out all the people saying the Sabres were doomed should apologize to Kevyn.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Stillman played 1.5 games for the Sabres before being murdered by Tanner Jeannot, RIP

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Today was kids’ takeover day at KeyBank Center and the Sabres had a kid as the guest announcer calling the goals and stuff. He was clearly really excited and it was fun. Local dumbass beat writer Mike Harrington apparently thought he was too energetic which led to this incredible exchange:

https://twitter.com/hinostroza12/status/1632121869653487616?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

What a King

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Very excited to drive to Buffalo and watch the Oilers in person for the first time since 2019. Gonna eat some wings and watch Connor rock out.

Where are you planning to get wings?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No clue since its been 4 years since I've been in Buffalo so definitely up for suggestions.

My favorite spot is Gabriel’s Gate on Allen Street. Their food is also pretty good, they have a lot of hot sandwiches and their French onion soup is very good.

Anchor Bar on Main is the original but their wings are pretty meh. I like the Spicy BBQ ones though.

If you want to try something new, I’ve heard that Lenox Grill on North near Delaware is really good. It’s in the basement of the Lenox Hotel, a hotel turned apartment building. I’d be interested to hear about them.

If you want pizza & wings there are a million places, I’m a big fan of Just Pizza but their wings aren’t amazing but they aren’t bad either. It’s on Elmwood and Summer. LaNova supposedly has great wings but the city location is kinda far from downtown. They also have Buffalo-style pizza which is divisive.

Those are just a few spots close to downtown off the top of my head.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lmao my girlfriend broke her foot this morning walking our dog cause ice so I will not be venturing to beautiful Buffalo and instead eating wings at uhhhh my house.

That sucks!!!! There’s always next year, as we like to say here in Buffalo lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mike Harrington deleted his Tweet from Saturday about the kid doing the PA goal calls after he was dragged for it, and then this came out this morning. Absolutely incredible, we all knew he sucked but this is on another level.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lost Season posted:

Even better, he suggested a team in the "sudbury - thunder bay" market, two cities that are roughly an 11 hour drive from each other. For comparison, this is about the same amount of time it would take to drive from Boston to Detroit.

I think this is the original article.

e: beaten

Canada is so loving big, it’s kind of difficult for Americans to understand tbh. It goes so ridiculously far north and there are such huge swaths with basically nothing. Alaska is obviously similar, but most Americans haven’t been there and don’t realize how big it is, either. I guess Texas is similar although it isn’t even half as big as Alaska.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Just Pizza and LaNova are 4 minutes apart fyi

And they’re both 9 minutes from Keybank Center.

Yeah LaNova is four minutes further away from downtown. I was trying to give him options closer to downtown. Anyway I’m not a big fan of Buffalo-style pizza anyway so I dunno if it would be worth going there for wings.

Edit: Ottawa getting crushed by Chicago was the silver lining to last night, tough loss for the Sabres but at least it was to a western team. But if they lose tonight they’re pretty much done.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

trilljester posted:

Right now it's Karlsson with 82 points, Morrissey with 67, and Rasmus Dahlin with 63. I know Winnipeg is in playoff contention and Buffalo is a big question mark to make the cut this year. It could be that we get a Norris winner who doesn't make the playoffs.

Dahlin fell off a little bit and missed a few games due to injury, but his defensive game has been solid this season. The kid is only 22!!!! He’s one or two seasons away from being elite.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This was called not a goal due to the distinct kicking motion, but Toronto overturned it:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1633296578902388736?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I hate everything.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/bufsportstalk/status/1633301932998623232?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m going to scream

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the
Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public
Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an
attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is
deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO
GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately
batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

If it's not a kick because it wasn't off his skate, then it was intentionally batted in by his shin. It's still no goal.

There’s no way you can determine intent there, that’s just silly.

But if the rule says kick has to be foot or skate then that loving sucks and maybe the refs should know the rules?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there any serious reason other than tradition that we don’t want to allow kicking a puck in? Honestly, who cares?

Probably to prevent players from trying to kick the puck in the net because their shoes have sharp blades on them and that could lead to some injuries?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

It's perfectly legal to re-direct the puck into the net off your skate or off your leg.

But the only thing you can use to propel the puck into the net is your stick.

Watch the video and pay attention to the follow-through of his leg. It's still moving towards the net after contacting the puck.

That's clearly propulsion.

No goal.

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

You can't use your leg to bat the puck into the net.

https://twitter.com/BUFSportsTalk/status/1633301932998623232?s=20

If he had stuck his leg out, and the puck had bounced off his stationary leg, like a basketball backboard, it would be a good goal.

Once again, let me point out that the rule says, “…if it is deemed to be done deliberately…” The puck can bounce off a leg/skate into the net; it happens all the time. They deemed that it didn’t violate this rule because it wasn’t deliberate. I know it looks deliberate slowed down, but it would be extremely difficult to determine that, in the 1/4 of a second that the puck was flying toward him, Fasching decided to move his leg like that to try to redirect the puck into the net. It really sucks that it happened and cost the Sabres the game. And it’s embarrassing that the refs didn’t even know the kicking rule required that it be done with the foot/skate. But tbh it’s a stretch to say that it violated that rule. Toronto was right and our suffering has been prolonged.

Edit: the kicking rule also uses the word deliberately:

Section 37.4 of the NHL rulebook states: "A 'distinct kicking motion,' for purposes of video review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net."

That’s kind of silly, I could think of a few situations where it could be determined to be deliberate but like 99% of the time it wouldn’t be deliberate.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 8, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

He was looking at the puck carrier, saw the puck coming and deliberately kicked out his leg at the puck.

He deliberately moved his leg, yes. He was not having a weird, involuntary muscle spasm. It would be extremely difficult to determine that his intent was to deflect the puck into the net.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

clearly the script writers at Disney hate the Sabres

Cool, their final game against the Islanders is on ESPN+, so that means they definitely can’t make the playoffs. Unless they win every other game for the rest of the season but only lose that one…?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

They have won three in a row and 4 of 5 and are 5-2-1 in their last eight. Without fail they go all world over the last twenty games once their playoff chances are spent. Just once I'd like to see this garbage team strip it back to the bolts and pack in a season. They have like eight AHL guys on the roster right now, so rather than playing them they're rolling out Hughes/Pettersson and Miller for 25+ mins a night each. Hughes is regularly hitting 30 minutes. Someone needs to tell Tocchet he isn't coaching for his life and to play literally anyone else because this is once again screwing the team's draft position and running his stars into the ground isn't a viable strategy long term.

A lot of teams in the bottom have runs at the end of the season because they have nothing to lose and no pressure on them. That’s why Columbus keeps beating good teams, because they don’t have to care any more. Teams fighting for a playoff spot have to deal with the pressure to win and it can cause them to be unable to perform. Looking at you rn, Sabres!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

xzzy posted:

Also ruining a playoff team's playoff chances is a victory in its own way.

Tbh it feels good to be in a position where the Sabres are close enough to a playoff spot in March that they can even be in that scenario lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Losing to the Islanders on Tuesday all but ensured that the Sabres are going to miss, they would have to go on an insane tear for the rest of the season including beating the Islanders on the 25th. But they also still have to play the Rangers three times, the Devils twice and Boston & Carolina once, among others. The losses to the Islanders this week and Columbus last week were brutal. They’re so close to being a playoff team but are lacking the goaltending and depth on defense to make it over the hump… probably. They could still technically make it!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/matthewfairburn/status/1633855780456628225?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jason Jord Greenway, top-line winger

Also sitting Hinostroza instead of Olofsson, who is garbage at back-checking and hasn’t scored a goal in like a month, is a choice

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 10, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

You'd think playing their captain there could be viable, but no.

Okposo is a grindy boi now, he wouldn’t mesh with the rushy bois Tage and Skinny. Jack Quinn was playing that wing but he’s small and kept getting manhandled. Greenway is big and won’t get manhandled. Might even score on the rush, who knows?!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

corn on the cop posted:

here lies buffalo. you tried

i hate my life and want to die

Edit: they gave up ten goals but somehow Ilya Lyubushkin was +1 lmao

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 10, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m begging the refs to call blatantly obvious penalties instead of calling them at random. The Sabres outplayed the Rangers for 90% of the game but lost due to a penalty call in OT when the refs called almost nothing the entire game. Early in the game, JJ Peterka was hit in the face by a high stick six feet in front of a ref who did nothing. Then later they called a non-existent hooking on Girgensens. loving embarrassing league.

Edit: yes I am mad that my team played an incredible, complete game and lost because of some bullshit!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Matt Zerella posted:

We’re we watching the same game? I thought it was pretty even and both teams played well.

My bad, it was like 50/63 minutes so we’ll call that closer to 83%. Both goalies were incredibly good, I really wish UPL couldn’t gotten the W there.