Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For the record I did not approve the closure of my thread, but I expect nothing less from the Hitler Moderators of the Something Awful Forums.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Diet Crack posted:

We need Pastor to spice things up

We do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not watching as I have sworn off FOrmula One after the red bull cost cheating scandal but I assume it's yet another effortless Scud victory

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nico Rosberg Ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kirios posted:

Did you guys know that Nico Rosberg beat Lewis Hamilton for the championship in 2016 in equal machinery?!

Checked and he did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SocksAndSandals posted:

Rosberg is the bad+lame Nico

Hulkenburg is the good Nico

Hulkenberg is fail.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khablam posted:

Do yourself a favour and avoid the World Endurance Championship (WEC) like the plague. It is a boring, predictable and expensive snoozefest that only appeals to the most die-hard fans of hybrid technology and fuel efficiency. The WEC is so dull that even the drivers fall asleep behind the wheel, as evidenced by the numerous crashes and penalties that plague every race. The only thing that keeps the WEC alive is the stubborn pride of Toyota, who refuse to admit that they have wasted billions of dollars on a project that nobody cares about.

Ive heard many people say this, OP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khablam posted:

If you think WEC is a good form of motorsport, you are clearly delusional and have no taste. WEC stands for World Endurance Championship, not World Excitement Championship. Do you know what endurance means? It means to suffer through something unpleasant for a long time. Is that what you call entertainment? Watching cars go round and round for hours on end, with no overtaking, no drama, no action? How boring is that? That's not racing, that's just surviving. And who wants to watch survival? That's what reality TV shows are for. Go watch milf manor for 4 hours instead. WEC is like watching paint dry, except paint has more colour and variety than WEC cars with their dumbass liveries. If you want to watch racing that isn't F1, try demolition derby or lawn mower racing. Anything is better than WEC.

*nods*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Haven't been watching this. Been watching cycling instead. It looks like red bull are cheating frauds still???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've done a deep dive into the results and it seems like Ferrari had realized that the great sport of Grand Prix Motor Racing is dead and are concentrating on real racing like Le Mans instead. Good move

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maybe the Jordan 199 was actually the greatest F1 car of all time and HHF and Damon Hill were simply frauds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is a tragedy what the Dutch and Austrians have done to the great sport of Grand Prix Motor Racing. I suggest banning all Dutchmen and Austrians from F1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

*nods*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have been the forums greatest formula one fan since 1999 and "there was a good battle for 9th" has always been the primary form of bad race cope

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khablam posted:

You're just wrong.
2014-2020, bar subtle changes, looked like this every week

Merc: Untouchable. Applied massive amounts of sandbags because they thought people would revolt if they won races by 30s*. Sometimes they'd gently caress up this balance and actually be assailable, but usually for just one stint of a race giving someone a chance to win if it was the final stint. (or the drivers rammed each other off)
[+5-10s performance deficit that we can see by race end, obviously potentially higher if you paid attention]
RBR & Ferrari: Clear second tier, competitive with each other but ultimately fighting for #2 in the WDC and the third step of the podium on a weekend.
[60s+ usually lapped by race end]
Everyone else: no one in any other team had a shot at a ""genuine"" win or even podium.
Grid spread and car deltas were much higher, meaning many races started with all the drivers going 2 by 2 down the field or close to it.

The old fantasy league had you predict the race outcome (for the top 10) and you could just leave it the same for the whole year once you'd worked out which midfield team was 7-8 and which one was 9-10.

This is a typical early hybrid era result:

This week everyone finished on the lead lap with no safety car. Cut out Max's lead and 60s covers you to 10th place.
There are currently 5 teams, half the grid, who have been competing for race wins, podiums and poles this year. We've had drivers finish in wildly different positions all season.

If you're only watching it to see the race winner maybe just follow the sport on tiktok or something.

* - it turns out they were 100% right because your brains are all loving mush after watching Max give no fucks for optics and win by half a minute every week

A lot of those seasons sucked rear end op. Thank you. The nintendo switch is epic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What kind of an argument is that. "the 2015 formula one season was also bad". No poo poo idiot. Die. Die. Die!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is a truly goated console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2023 tour de france. drat what a race. Even has a Netflix special for the Amerikkkans.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles Leclerc posted:

You forgot 2010. For all the whinging about the Vettelreich at the time, 50% of the seasons were hard fought to the wire.

I remember 2010 as one of those seasons where the championship fight was good but the actual races weren't very good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Diet Crack posted:

So what is your actual point then, genuinely?

It sounds like you should find new sports to watch.

This season has, in all metrics, been more fun to follow than the previous ones up to rosberg v ham

My point is that "you think this season was bad? well this other season was also bad. what now?" is a terrible argument op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most back-breaking stretch of a season was 2012 where it was decided by that string of races in Asia which were pretty much all Vettel romps. For some reason they were just on another level to the field in that stretch of races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

This is approaching 1992/2002/2004 levels of awful. It will likely be the worst season I’ve ever watched.

2013 might have been my least favorite. 2004 was horrendous though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A good race is not about the number of overtakes on a chart. A good race is about vibes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

smackfu posted:

Feels like overtake numbers would be very polluted by engine penalties by the end of the season.

Also if Checo screws up qualifying and then passes 10 cars to get from 15th to 5th, is that ten overtakes? Is that “good racing”?

reminded by a list of "most overtakes" from the 2004 season where the number one driver for overtakes was Zsolt Baumgartner, because that is what happens when you start dead last every race

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sunk Dunk posted:

drat 1970 seems like it was fun

the 1989 ferrari ftw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tony quidtana posted:

I'm always surprised Ferrari's 90 campaign went as well as it did tbh

They fixed the inherent issue which was the semi-automatic gearbox not getting enough power. Mansell winning the opening race has to be one of the least likely wins ever, that gearbox had no business surviving.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles Leclerc posted:

We've done the '96-'99 chapter of the story, now it's time for the '00-'04 part :getin: :italy:

It's time for the cheating Austrian (the home country of Hitler) team to be kicked out of the sport at last. Ferrari ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ethanol posted:

ever heard of Mussolini???

Not a rebuttal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Road America FTW

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
baku is a good circuit though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dorna are panicking and will change all the rules because not enough Spaniards are winning. Sad but true

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Something really disgusting about a 500k watch

That's just because it's a Richard Mille

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
does anyone have the old wicka av with the mclaren watch catching on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

marshalljim posted:

I think it's more that many fans of motorsports and expensive watches have very bad taste.

I think it's just this thread