Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Welcome to the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship!

:siren: FULL RACE CALENDAR HERE :siren:

How do I watch?
Depends on where you live and what you want to pay. Use a search engine, I promise it's not hard. F1TV is also a thing.

What's new for 2023?
Red Bull are better and Ferrari are worse. Aston Martin are arguably the 3rd best team. Nico Hulkenberg is back working full time in F1.

TLDR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Formula_One_World_Championship

Teams & Drivers

Red Bull -- Oracle Red Bull Racing

Drivers: Max Verstappen & Sergio Perez
Team Principal: Christian Horner
No one knows just how good the Red Bull is because it’s good enough to get easy wins without pushing too hard. Christian Horner is of course being a huge prick about it.

Mercedes -- Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Drivers: Lewis Hamilton & George Russell
Team Principal: Toto Wolff
Mercedes had a bad car last year and despite dubious technical decisions in their favor from the FIA they remained bad. They are fighting to get on the podium this year. (Disclaimer: George Russell loving sucks, both as a human and a driver.)

Ferrari -- Scuderia Ferrari

Drivers: Charles Leclerc & Carlos Sainz
Team Principal: Frederic Vasseur
Ferrari fired their team principal and poached another. This has led to no changes in Ferrari’s fortunes, and they continue to make terrible decisions that limit the results they can achieve in their shitbox car.

Aston Martin-Mercedes -- Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team

Drivers: Fernando Alonso & Lance Stroll
Team Principal: Mike Krack
Aston decided to copy the Red Bull this year, and they have a very fast car. They also have the best driver on the grid now with Fernando Alonso.

McLaren F1 Team -- McLaren-Mercedes

Drivers: Lando Norris & Oscar Piastri
Team Principal: Andrea Stella (lol... pictured is Zak Brown because oops!)
McLaren continue to spiral down the order, even though the incredible rise of McLaren has been massively understated. Their rookie driver Oscar Piastri looks quick, but the car doesn’t.

Alpine-Renault -- BWT Alpine F1 Team

Drivers: Pierre Gasly & Esteban Ocon
Team Principal: Otmar Szafnauer
The team is more French this year with two French drivers, but the car is an embarrassment. Drama between the drivers or crashes are the only way they’ll get coverage this year.

Haas-Ferrari -- Uralkali Haas F1 Team

Drivers: Kevin Magnussen & Nico Hulkenberg
Team Principal: Guenther Steiner
Haas had a good car last year and have managed to keep some of that edge this year. Their veteran drivers mean they are cruising for all the easy points they can get, and they may manage to get some this year.

AlphaTauri-Red Bull -- Scuderia AlphaTauri

Drivers: Nyck De Vries & Yuki Tsunoda
Team Principal: Franz Tost
Inconsistent so far, and with a rookie driver Nyck DeVries, it’s unclear how fast the Alpha is.

Williams-Mercedes -- Williams Racing

Drivers: Alex Albon & Logan Sargeant
Team Principal: James Vowles
Williams are technically better than last year, but that’s a very low bar. They have a US driver now so they get lots of coverage and Florida man jokes.

Alfa Romeo-Ferrari -- Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN (powered by Sauber)

Drivers: Zhou Guanyu & Valtteri Bottas
Team Principal: Alessandro Alunni Bravi (team representative???)
Forgettable both because of their midfield position and because they are yet another livery that appears almost black on camera.

A special note about Valtteri… since leaving Mercedes, he has become a likable, interesting character as illustrated by these amazing photographs:

F1 Thread Fantasy Link: https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/leagues/join/C2LPQXCFV02
Netflix F1 Drive to Survive: https://www.netflix.com/title/80204890

OP REWRITTEN BY: Pragmatica on 28APR2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

The Venn diagram of people who think Perez or Alonso have any shot at the WDC this year is a perfectly smooth brain

Same with Ferrari tbh.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Grimson posted:

someone change the thread icon, f1 isnt racing. never has been never will be.

I realized too late that I should've made it the golf icon.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

Oh poo poo the Aston Martin is 100% legit we're gonna see Alonso in a proper car for the first time in a very long time.

This is gonna be loving awesome.

Q3 is when we'll find out.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

poty posted:

How did Mercedes manage to make an even worse car

It’s because they’re bad OP.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

HampHamp posted:

Anxiety, mainly

Serious answer - just good quality carbides, we didn't end up getting special tooling in as we don't machine tungsten very much. It demolishes tools as its super abrasive, hopefully we won't be doing much of it in the future! They usually get wire eroded but we needed them quickly so had to chuck them on a cnc.

E: apologies for cluttering the thread up with machining talk, hope it's ok

I would take these inside baseball posts over any of the idiotic bullshit quid spouts as objective fact.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Lmao holy gently caress McLaren.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ilmucche posted:

There's like a while discord of goons posting about F1. Why not post here instead??

All of the Poois fans that got banned from Abu Dhabi 2021 got butthurt and are now moping in the discord.

It’s pretty fun sometimes to just throw a rando “DAS was cheating” or a super max YouTube link and watch everyone lose their goddamn minds.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pragmatica posted:

alright - who wants:

quote this so it makes it easy for me (or send me a PM)

I will take one pls. Please replace the Stroll one.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 5, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am ready for the season

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am not giving up on my papaya bois, but I will laugh my rear end off that they are this poo poo. I still have the GOAT Alonso to root for.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

just you wait until zak secures more sponsors for the car, will be unstoppable

McLaren are WDC's at monetizing the car.

Frond posted:

A really good qualifying session followed by an ok race. Benz are right hosed it looks like though - but it’s a long season.

I am loving the level of petulance that Toto has because he can't have races gifted to him anymore.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Dante posted:

Looks like Mercedes is ditching their concept entirely after Bahrain: https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-mercedes-toto-wolff-lewis-hamilton-b2294281.html

RIP zeropods

Why can't Lewis, the long-proclaimed "Greatest of All Time" simply drive the car to victory?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Seems like Mercedes would have done well to make that decision a few months ago imo.

Still, I wonder if this year they're just going to blast past the cost cap to perfect the car and not give a single poo poo how it impacts development next year.

They would be better off taking the McLaren strategy to intentionally come in last place so they get the most CFD and tunnel time.

2024 is going to be Big Zak's year.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rinkles posted:

What happened to McLaren? Are they just a poo poo team now?

They're sandbagging to get the most CFD and tunnel time so when their new windtunnel comes online they can get the most out of it and make a truly dominant car.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Zak playing 4D chess over here.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Other prophetic quid posts:

tony quidtana posted:

Not buying Aston's pace

tony quidtana posted:

Yap. Alonso can't develop a car for poo poo

tony quidtana posted:

These loving pastrami eating wops need to god drat stop huffing agip gas and actually loving understand that LeClerc can win them a world championship. Christ alive

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

All those are still valid. Atleast Khablam was able to dig up the one where I said newey was a spent force

People were acting like the Aston was a consistent race winner (It's not). Alonso has such a poor grasp on developing a car that Mclaren dropped the Honda engine because of him (the car was the problem, not the engine) so it's only downhill for Aston for the rest of this year, my comments on what Ferrari need to do to win have aged like fine wine

I don't put Khablam level effort into posting.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I will say that Ron Dennis wouldn't let Honda move away from the "size zero" concept even after they begged him to do so, Then they had to get help from the aircraft division so the turbo wouldn't fail, then they had to clean sheet the engine 3 times before it became a title winner. So to say wanting to move away from Honda was a mistake is a pretty hot take.

McLaren on the other hand after dropping Honda shoehorned in the 2nd worst engine on the grid into their car and suddenly was fighting for 3rd and 4th.

Much of the Honda/McLaren debacle should be put on Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Sacrificing long-term goals for short-term profit is peak American CEO. Zak is doing a bang up job.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
lmao get hosed Lewis

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/35803013/bahrain-gp-overreactions-lewis-hamilton-never-win-f1-race-again

We can only dream :allears:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

a pipe smoking dog posted:

1. yes
2. because it would make people mad

No, but for the same reason.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

Forget lewis, the funniest part of this timeline is Russel spending 3 years gargling Mercedes' balls and becoming the perfect corporate tory drone to then end up 3 places ahead of the williams.

George doesn't have enough petulant meltdowns to feed my schadenfreude.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Valtteri baby stay cool stay cool

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

the milk machine posted:

i think max would be really petulant and funny on a bad team with a slow car (mclaren)

Mods?!?!

McLaren is a great team with a slow car.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Shift F1 for Rob’s hot takes
FF1S for giving F1 the amount of respect it deserves: none.

FF1S is British though so much of what they say is bullshit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
The Race is an Aramco mouthpiece so they can get hosed.

Everything WTF1 is poo poo
Those two idiots that used to run WTF1 are poo poo
FF1S and shift F1 are both bad, but they’re the best of the bad podcasts and ultimately you need something to listen to on the train.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

My initial gimmick for my name change was that I was gonna use ChatGPT to make Tony posts but after the AI Seinfeld poo poo I realized that would probably last about 3 days before it got me permabanned

The Seinfeld thing used a different language model from GPT and they ran it without restrictions. ChatGPT is pretty tame by comparison.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

I don’t really understand hyper-partisan sports fans and never will. Being passionate is one thing, but online is full of complete frothing insane people.

This is all online communities tbh. It doesn't really matter what the subject is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Take Italian media for what you will, but sounds like Freddy is trying to pull a Ross Brawn and fire all of the Italians.

google translate link: https://www-quotidiano-net.translat...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Original Italian: https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini/v2-e-la-ferrari-di-vigna-e-vasseur-senza-sanchez-5.7924

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qMchPv9kY&t=53s

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

When I used to watch MotoGP, the races usually had like 45 mins of pre-race discussion on the current drama and stuff, is that similar with F1 coverage or do I need to get all that here instead?

I know that D2Survive is edited to be interesting, but it's made me interested in watching the races and like, getting a little invested and stuff.

F1TV does a weekend warmup, qualifying show, and a pre and post race shows. They broadcast those on YouTube as well if you don’t sign up for the service.

Welcome to the nuthouse, couple of guidelines:

- Mercedes and Red Bull are the bad guys
- McLaren is great, but they hosed the car so we’re all taking the year off to root for Aston Martin instead
- lmao Ferrari
- The real drama is in the news that comes out the Monday after a race
- Lewis is only as much of a good person as it plays into his brand
- Zak Brown is both cool and good
- Quid is largely to be ignored
- Rhopunzel is still salty about getting burned like 3 months ago
- Charles LeClerc (the poster) is on his 5th marriage now or something, I think he gets the next one free
- Khablam has a database of thread elder history, you can ask him to flesh out any details I’ve forgotten

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
While they don't do it as often, Mercedes has had some Ferrari level strategy calls.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

Still on s2 of Drive to Survive, but just watched Niko Hulkenberg go from 2nd place at home to not having a racecar to drive at Renault anymore, that was painful to watch but I like Ocon more so maybe that's good.

Don't watch Season 4 and just go ahead and watch the 2021 season in it's entirety. Season 4 of DTS is balls and completely glosses over the major storyline of the 2021 season.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

I want to get into the current season so I dont know if I can take a break and do a whole older f1 season.

After the race this weekend, and the Aus GP on April 2, you have a whole month until the race in Baku. An F1 race is 2 hours, and you can skip Spa 2021. You have time if you binge it.

The 2021 season is good and maybe the most important season of F1 since 2009. Rules are changed and whole orgs are restructured because of what happens (a whole subsection of posters here were banned and refused to come back), and DTS barely talks about it.

[edit] actually you could probably just watch the 30 min highlights on youtube for most of the races and then just watch UK, Baku, Hungary, Italy, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi full races

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 13, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is technically true, but more to the point this season is going to be loving shite so you're better off watching the criminal injustice that was 2021.

Abu Dhabi 2021 is maybe the hardest I've laughed at an F1 race in my entire life.

The Big Jesus posted:

Did Lewis ever send that gift to all the fans?

I don't think so. He got the clout he wanted from just putting his offer out there.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

That disgraced Indian trump type guy shows back up with a shadow investor to win his team back.

Vijay Mallya goes to prison and Canadian Lex Luther buys the team.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Spa 2021 to see Williams last podium finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Isn't Canada 2011 like 8 hours or something?