Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well that's what you get for dumping a rookie into a race session at short notice when the regular driver is hurt.

* whisper off stage *

"He's WHAT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Max looked over the line at 4.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Stroll saying he can be on the front row.

Mate, you can't physically follow the racing line in turn 1.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"I will come back to you" is the 2023 "We are checking".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Charles Leclerc posted:

Apparently you get a hard ban for asking why Naomi Schiff is on Sky's revolving roster of dogshit pundits.

Naomi's only problem is she's one of those interviewers who asks a question then for some reason keeps talking for 30 seconds.

eg

"Checo do you believe that incident was your fault?......because in 1994 a similar incident was judged to be the fault of the driver in front and that driver went on to win 3 races, also I was working in finance at the time and my mate Dave said that it had precedent in the following 9 decisions made in 1954.... oh sorry we're out of time back to you Ted".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ilmucche posted:

It's race day! :dance:

Rada Cey!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"Please don't gently caress my car daddy Stroll" says Alonso as soon as they get a mic on him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Edit : See Below

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Arc Hammer posted:

Lewis, Nando and Esteban are the only ones who didn't come from cash and connections. Everyone else gets there by tossing cash around.

Nando's a pay driver, Non-racing sponsors bought him his first F1 drive.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

daslog posted:

Welcome to my virtual Podcast, where I will discuss in depth the status of all the F1 teams. Spotify has signed me for eleventy billion dollars for this exclusive content.

Red Bull - Will win 20 races this year and be boring
Aston Martin - Their superior driver lineup will allow them to stay ahead of Mercedes all season
Mercedes - Imploding due to poor leadership. Look for Binnoto to replace Toto next year.
Ferrari - Strategy errors won't matter because their car is poo poo due to design errors.
Alfa Romeo - No one really cares about this team so whatever.
Alpine - What happens when you combine French owners and French drivers
Williams - F1 finally has an American driver. Too bad Americans don't care about back markers
Alpha Tauri - Nick looks Awesome! Yuki looks like a bust
Haas - Gene will sell because they suck again
McLaren - It's a shame to watch this awfull team waste Lando's career.

Interesting. 5 stone cold facts, 5 total gibberish.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

By at least 5.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

toadee posted:

DTS 2008 would be incredible. Imagine slow mo 4k footage of the Massa family garage reaction.

Or they'd ignore the whole thing in favour of a manufactured drama between Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Watch the 1986 Spanish GP.

Unironically this.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tuo posted:

Doesn't the whole electronic and electric part (ECU, Battery etc.) come from McLaren? Or did this change with the current regs? I seem to remember that at least at one point the electronics and battery package was supplied by McLaren Technology or however that part of the company group is called. Or was that only the display unit for the steering wheels?

You may be confusing it with Formula e where Williams and McLaren have both supplied stock parts.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Looks like Williams currently have the F E gig which explains why that now sucks less.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They've got a fast car

It turns out if your competition is a company that spent £5bn on F1 to get no wins, some French people who forgot to put the wing on the car, someone who doesn't realise he's not a literal cowboy, a dentist and the company that built the car your great granddad drove it's slightly easier to get the odd pole.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Although the bit about "no exceptions" is going to run them straight into disability legislation should F1 ever visit a 1st world country.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Diet Crack posted:

I can't get over how terrible this track is

It somehow gets worse every time I see any part of it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Red Bull 1-2
Alpha Tauri 19-20

Come on Adrian, send them some design docs!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I just did an F1 race in VR and Max went out on lap 1.

Ok the race was at Silverstone. And last year's car. And it was Mick Schumacher he hit but I think you'd agree this is a 100% nailed on prediction.

Also I passed Lance Stroll at Copse, proving he is dogshit.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

refleks posted:

how are these rules so ambiguous. get your poo poo together.

I like the idea that if you agree something isn't against the rules it magically isn't.

Maybe Logan should do 50 laps on Saturday and then claim he agreed that didn't count as a jump start and thus he won the race by 24 hours.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

busalover posted:

The Saudis have all the money in the world, and this is the track they come up with? Just build some multi-billion Trackmania insanity out in the desert. Why not done?

They were supposed to replace it with an actual track but appear to have decided not to bother. It was due to move this year but now it's "2027. Maybe."

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

spaceblancmange posted:

already know how it ends, yawn

Imagine if they go rogue, he survives Imola and they do 6 series of him winning every title until 2001.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Josuke Higashikata posted:

george russell sucks and shouldn't be trying to get publicity from his stolen trophy

maybe he should just be better at driving than nando

Maybe when his teammate is better at driving then Lance Stroll.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tony quidtana posted:

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1022632/1/michael-schumacher-s-wife-prisoner-everyone-wants-talk-about-him

Brutal story about Schumacher's wife. If only she could do something simple to end all the suffering like pull a plug

A picture of Eddie Jordan captioned with "Look at me" would say as much as that article does .

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I don't think it was, they just continued it after a few years away.

Which also we do not talk about.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Arc Hammer posted:

They're rebooting it again. They made a big huff about how they managed to get John DiMaggio back.

Which begs the question: what the gently caress were they thinking if they decided to reboot Futurama without already having DiMaggio onboard before any announcements?

Oh christ.

Yeah let's not talk about that either.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

They bought low (buying out the Williams family and other small stakeholders) and F1 has appreciated in value even in the few years since, and there are still multiple groups circling around entering and possibly needing to buy a team. So from their main metric of “we can sell it for a profit” that should be fine.

This is the problem really, Dorliton's plan seems to be "Sit there" so they won't spend anything more than they can grab from external sources and the goal is just to keep the team from actively falling off the back of the grid.

While we're only allowed 10 teams (and the fact that one of the world's premier motorracing teams and a major manufacturer isn't good enough suggests we are) then they have an asset.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Big Jesus posted:

They don’t have to worry about falling off the back of the grid so long as Mclaren exists.

There's always a McLaren.

Sometimes the McLaren is Haas.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tony quidtana posted:

Instead of watching qualifying which is boring in tyool 2023 (assuming a cheating red bull got pole) I watched Lost Highway. Pretty good film, pretty spooky.

Pole AND Reverse grid Pole!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Just caught up. loving hell at least Nascar are honest about it.

Feel very good I didn't get up to watch a 15 second long grand prix.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I remember an actual F1 strategist on maybe a Reddit ama(?) saying that refueling never added any interesting strategy from his point of view, because it functionally capped any potential strategy to a maximum number of laps instead of having opportunity for drivers to extend stints and make new strategies viable.

Perhaps “from his point of view” is holding the water here though because he wasn’t speaking as a spectator certainly.

He's right refuelling does exactly 2 things.

1 - Makes all tyre changes the same time because it's fuel limited.
2 - Means every car is basically the same the entire race and there's no worn tyres (because you'll hit the fuel first and can't extend stints) and not burning 100kg fuel (because at most you'd put 50 in).

So you've removed 2 of the biggest variables in the sport to gain a small chance of an exciting fire.

It actively makes racing worse even if overtaking is marginally easier now. No-one will try outlandish strategies because the quickest one will almost always be obvious.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Toe Rag posted:

Half distance, so ~20 minutes. It’s grueling on the riders though, and they get actually injured in crashes.

Yeah, all this got us so far is 5 riders and bikes missing from the grid in the last race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Especially given MotoGP hasn't figured out the concept of having reserve riders being less than 2 weeks travel away so despite Pol being injured in practice for round 1, they didn't have a replacement even at round 2 and the works Honda team got themselves into a situation where they couldn't even field an entry at the start of round 2.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tony quidtana posted:

they have Stefan bradl but for whatever reason he rightfully doesn't want to jump off into the woodchipper that is riding that Honda through two races a weekend.

Yeah, it's almost like he didn't enjoy travelling halfway around the world busting his semi-retired hump for 1 points scoring finish last year.

harperdc posted:

I don’t remember the wording specifically but for one or two rounds a team is allowed to not field a bike. So in this case Repsol Honda can keep Marquez out from Argentina and bring him back for COTA.

With injuries that are longer term there’s a requirement to have a replacement rider, which is what KTM/GasGas/Tech3 have done for Pol from COTA forward.

Tl;dr blame the rules, as usual.

It's a surprise you need rules though. You'd think it'd be in their interests to have a bike out there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm sure that kind of poo poo is on the way. I'm amazed we've not had a playoff system like Nascar yet.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The problem with F1 Manager is they launched it broken then said "Sucks to be you, you want bug fixes buy next year's version".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rebus posted:

NowTV Sports Pass is (or was when they had the deal up) £20/month.

£21 this year, but of course that's also in 720P. I presume the reason it costs so much is servicing computers old enough that counts as an acceptable resolution.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

TheBacon posted:

WEC team isn’t actually run by the Scud tho, less passione

Although unlike the F1 team it IS run by a bloke called "Ferrari".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's ok Craig, Ferrari don't know what "RACE" means either.