Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

italian quid posted:

The Venn diagram of people who think Perez or Alonso have any shot at the WDC this year is a perfectly smooth brain

More just hoping that Alonso gets the "first win after hitting 300 races" record before Hamilton, although the chances of either this season are slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Lewis also immediately came in and switched after that restart, which put him in the back, but he was in the Mercedes so it was still a pretty easy walk back up to the podium (Alonso notwithstanding).

I remember thinking that shot of him all alone on the starting grid was a pretty good metaphor for the 2014-2020 (minus 2016) seasons.

Dr. Gojo Shioji fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 13, 2023

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Masi vs Toto is the best story.

MIIIiiiichaaaal

It's a shame that FOM only had the team-to-race-control radio messages for one season. They were great entertainment.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

Also bring back Qualifying engines that explode after 12 laps please!

Mercedes tried that in the back half of 2021, and it kinda worked out for them.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Personal Lucubrant posted:

LMAO, a red flag so they can have a green flag finish.

I mean, at least they seemed to have come to a legitimate way of avoiding a SC finish after 2021.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Who reported this? Show yourself, coward

F1 thread gone soft

The F1 Thread is trying to emulate actual F1 by determining results days after the action has occurred.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

Dont forget the year they decided to have double points for the final race.

2014 was the first full season I watched, and I assumed double-points for the last race was the norm. A dumb idea, for sure, but it also would have changed several championships for the better.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

And it's not John Frankenheimers best driving movie .

Ronin was a much better feather in Jean-Pierre Jarier's cap than his F1 career.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Ethiser posted:

Sorry friend, when the Nurburgring Trials occur no one who is a part of Red Bull will be spared.

His only option will be to get Operation Paperclipped into a less evil team (like the Scud).

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

f1tv is better overall

their post race stuff isn't quite as spicy, but any interesting info gleaned from that shows up quickly anyway

It's a minor benefit, but the driver feeds are kinda fun sometimes. You can get some interesting video about pitlane procedure by team, amusing "lap of shame" drives back to pit after crashes, and most importantly Yuki's messages to his engineer uncensored. It's also neat to watch races and hear just the track sounds with no commentary.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ugh wait I thought I had this mapped out. Didn't racing point force India, with the pink cars, become Alpine?

No, the pink was because of BWT sponsorship. BWT moved sponsorship from (T)Racing Point/Aston Martin to Alpine (which is the renamed factory Renault team).

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Huh fascinating goons love an F1 driver that refuses to workout.

I love Yuki because he's very pretty, but the same goes for Alonso.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Dudley posted:

Yeah this is all just a lot of words for "Maybe don't park in the middle of the loving track."

Just let the drivers 180 after the start-finish line and come back in the pit exit. Then there won't be anyone trundling around on cooldown laps.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Crofty was right. Remove Max from this race and it was a good battle between Nando and Lewis, and Lando was getting some cool passes down the grid. Just ignore the energy drink cocaine cars and pay attention to Aston Martin and Mercedes while lolling at thr Ferraris.

This could also be said for Lewis and the entirety of 2014 through 2020 (barring 2016). The only thing that really differentiates the thorough dominance shown during the Mercedes period and now is that Red Bull isn't getting 1-2s every race (or even 1-3s), which is at least a bit fun in a schadenfreude kind of way against Perez.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Gerblederp posted:

Hard Boiled whips rear end but I like The Killer more

I always felt that Hard Boiled is more fun, but The Killer is a better film. However, I watched an HD version of The Killer not that long ago, and for some reason no one on set told Danny Lee that he had a single long hair on his face the entire shoot, and I can't not see it. Probably the one time where the VHS/DVD is the superior watching experience.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

If they want to appeal to the US market they should advertise it like Nascar by doing compilations of all the horrific collisions with a badass guitar riff laid over top.

At least one of the old BBC promos was just like this (although they get leeway for The Chain).

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It’s pretty rare for an F1 team not to win consecutive championships

Brawn GP was too good for this world.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

with 23 races and 20 drivers the red button implies at least 3 drivers will lose seats mid season after already winning a race that season

Could be that some drivers end up with illnesses/injuries, so you get Vandoorne, Giovinazzi, and Mick Schumacher as race winners.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Missed qualifying. What happened to Alonso ending in P10 did he get only a single run in for Q3?

Car seems to not be suited to Monza. I think they were trying to do tows in Q1 which didn't work out very well and why Stroll ended 20th (along with his being not good).

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Why does it seem like there were a lot more shirtless spectators at races than there are now?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are we still allowed to do that? I thought it was banned and we're only allowed to drink energy drinks and vape (uncool)

Just sit near the Verstappen fans and hide your cigarette smoke in the orange flare cloud.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

albon #2 confirmed for podium-

Are you saying that he is forecast for a podium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

What is the actual benefit of only doing one late run in a quali stage? Just one less hot lap on that set of tires?