Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Sooo, the best army to defeat Russia..... is Russia? :kstare:

Aren't they the #1 weapons supplier of Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tai posted:

17th of May 2022 marks the day that the worlds former second largest army first started their offensive to take Bakhmut

So in just under 4 days it'll be a whole year to try (and fail) to take a small city.

World's 2nd 3rd 4th 5th best army!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Even if the PAC gets blown up in a day or two, the amount of infra it's already saved is well worth the cost. They've already splashed 30 missiles/drones/rockets that were trying to take it out, and any one of those could have been a building or critical piece of infrastructure.

Or, y'know, something strategically important like ammo storage, but lol at russia opting for the non-war-crimey possibility.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Not to buy into Russia declarations about anything, but the track record of those drone boats seems pretty lovely. Wonder if they're worth the cost; you could say they're keeping the Black Sea fleet on its toes but the antiship missiles UAF field seem to be doing that on their own.

So the russian position on the downed jets is....the American system is just TOO good and plinks all russian airpower out of the sky at will? That's...an interesting take from the military dictatorship.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Isn't smoking a bridge typically used to hide unit movements and/or obscure the bridge against attacks?

Though why they're just smoking a tiny part of it would be the question...testing?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I disagree about Romney.

Outside of their troll farms and the nuclear arsenal (assuming that it works, of course) Russia is not anywhere close to being the main threat to the US.

Now, a regional threat to their neighbors? Totally different story, as we've seen time and again.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Also Saldo: "Ah, Kherson. Truly the Venice of Ukr...er, Russia! Come visit!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Dr. Rovatnik
:golfclap:

Well played, sir.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

lmao yeah I think Wanker accused the regulars of mining their retreating route and capture one of their commanders even, pretty bizarre

And stole tanks, ammo, and heavy equipment. Can't forget that.

5-finger discounted procurement!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

....ok, a republican has finally done something I agree with. Someone mark down the day!

This is the kind of hardball I can get behind.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It's like Steak-umms, but with more remote "smoking incident" capability!

There's been bipartisan noises coming from congress about giving AFU these weapons, so Biden's probably feeling more comfortable discussing it and entertaining the idea. Which won't be total game-changers per se, but they'll definitely shake things up a bunch.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I thought that there weren't enough ATACMS to make a difference in Ukraine, because US wants to hang on to a certain amount in their inventory, and no-one is making new ones at the moment?

We certainly have enough to "make a difference" but we can't make more. However, these missiles are Old Tech from 20-30 years ago (that's 1990s-2000s era) and their replacement PrSM (Precision Strike Missile) is still coming on-line. If the pentagon feels that the PrSM rollout is far enough along that we can spare the older stuff...well, then the conversation gets interesting.

Alternatively, we can probably spare a few dozen of them to give Ukraine limited long-range capability so they can attack distant targets. That may or may not be bridge-shaped.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Let's hope Russia never develops pallet technology.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

So long distance drone, but tiny warhead. Might be enough to kickstart an ammo dump 'splosion?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Victis posted:

Shahed drones have a 15-50kg warhead by comparison, but part of what makes them annoying is their small size

A HIMARS rocket has a 91kg warhead

Huh. For some reason I thought it had a bigger payload.

These would wreak havoc if they're at all accurate (remains to be seen)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Welp. Time to queue up "Ride of the Valkyries" and see how close this clown car gets to Moscow.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Quick and dirty

My god, not the purple nurple!

This situation is definitely escalating.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Disappointed in Shoigu. He had the chance to make a killer conversation pit and he went with chairs.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1673636872835170306

Well, wrap it up. Orban has spoken.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

BoldFace posted:

At this rate, they'll still be fighting over Bakhmut five years from now.

It's only been--what, a few weeks, a month?--or so since Bakhmut was taken, and Ukraine is taking solid steps to cut it off from support. Barring some massive game changer like Russia blowing ZPP or the russian version of Patton arising to command Ukraine will have pushed the front past that city before the end of summer.

Nothing's guaranteed, of course. But so far they've been making good progress.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Could cluster munitions also serve as a makeshift mine clearance tool?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

How are there still so many mobiks? Have they done another round of mobilization that I missed?

Hundred of thousands of mobiks takes a while to churn through. Even with how Russia is tossing them away into meatgrinders.

Put it like this: if you believe Kyiv's numbers (which you shouldn't take at face value) the initial invasion force has been neutralized (in pure numbers), with all the 200k-300k mobilized troops still to go. They have plenty of manpower.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DiomedesGodshill posted:

JFC the rockets that fly off into the surrounding neighborhoods.

:stare:

You'd think that after a year and a half of this stupid war where drones are heavily used by both sides they'd would have realized "hey maybe we shouldn't have this ammo dump completely out in the open." Nope.

They don't even use pallets for quicker logistics. it's literally a pile of rockets out in the open. Russian logi is both turbo lazy and inefficient.

As far as being located right next to a hospital and residential area, well--human shields/guaranteed collateral damage is a feature, not a bug.

Edit: VVVV The US, France, and GB threatening to rain (conventional) missile hellfire on their units the likes of which God has never seen probably had something to do with it too.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 5, 2023

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I can't wait for the rubble to be the next Iraqi Dinar currency fad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

celewign posted:

I'm not sure what cluster bombs the US is giving away, but if it's the newer CBU the bomblets should deactivate on a timer and limit UXO issues.

Yeah, the US may be an imperialistic hegemony, but credit where it's due--all our stuff for the last generation or two has focused on reducing UXO situations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, the REAL UXO threat is the fuckton of mines Russia has laid across dozens if not hundreds of kilometers (I'm bad with distances). I guaran-drat-tee that their stuff doesn't go inert after a while, and Russia sure as poo poo hasn't marked out the minefields beyond "don't go past this line on your map"

A few dozen or even a few hundred unexploded submunitions is like complaining about a light rain when you're in the deep end of a pool.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

how many 155 shells would Ukraine need to meet or exceed rus arty advantage, and why don't they already have them? I'm sure there is a given reason and I'm guessing it is stupid / lazy

give floods of shells, that ought to be trivial, and the atacms. are those himars shotgun warheads not right for trench blasting? maybe supply a lot more of those

edit this was partly answered

They need more 155mm shells than can be made currently. The real takeaway from this war is "lol the west has dogshit munitions production capacity for what a peer war requires"

As far as giving from existing stocks, the US's position is that it's maintaining a certain level of reserves for any potential conflict, and Ukraine will get what we can spare. Which, to be fair, is still a hell of a lot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Tunicate posted:

The US also doesn't focus on artillery as part of doctrine, and isn't spending money to kick up manufacturing for someone else's war

Actually...

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/2023/03/28/us-army-eyes-six-fold-production-boost-of-155mm-shells-used-in-ukraine/

Sixfold production increase has been ordered.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But WHAT about AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Don't worry, some states are working to be at parity with Russia on this issue.

Which just shows that America Bad!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Better than the last day before retirement

Not for the doctor. :smith:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

With regards to the DPRK/North Korean arms shipments, I have to wonder if the quality of their product is better than the stuff they used for their propaganda pieces. I recall seeing one a few years ago and while the audio was dubbed you could still visibly see numerous misfires and jams in their wildly-firing automatic rifles.

Of course, they could have been using ancient stockpiled ammo for this and not (presumably) more reliable, newer stuff...but if I was a mobik watching those reels I'd get me some dinosaur head grabber sticks to handle those munitions at arms' length.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

The way he wrote that reads like it's pro-Ukraine

"Nato said Ukraine can join if they give up disputed territory, only problem is Russia disputes that whole country so it's not gonna happen"

Maybe my comprehension is lacking.

Medvedev is much like Bluto in animal house: just say "Forget it; he's rolling." no matter what inconsistencies or batshittery he espouses in the moment. Because I assure you--he already has.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Obama dragged Mitt Romney during the 2012 election for saying that Russia was the US's greatest geopolitical foe. Then there was the invasion of Crimea and intervening on the side of the autocrats in the Syrian Civil War.

I really hate when I have to agree with Mitt Romney

Ehh...I don't know if Obama was wrong. My position is that Russia is a regional power with limited projection capabilities. They weren't utterly toothless, obviously, but I'd venture to say China was/is more a 'greatest geopolitical rival.' Russia had some int'l sway due to an established weapons manufacturing business held over from the Soviet days, and their oil exports, but their alliances didn't run deep.

Of course, a regional power seeking to flex is still extremely dangerous if you happen to be in that region. And especially if you essentially lacked a trained military worthy of the name.

Edit: Their nuclear arsenal is really the only thing worthy of a "rival" designation, and that's a defensive guarantor only. Unless/until Putin or his successor goes batshit insane(r).

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 22, 2023

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

The nuclear arsenal is the sole and also most important reason they are a superpower and not a regional power. That detail really does make all the difference because if you can end global civilization on your own, by definition you are a global power.

It's also an empty threat. "I can end the world!" well that's nice and all but you die too, soo...

They serve to keep Russia from being invaded (in a serious manner; no one expects the Belgorod shenanigans to stick) and to keep the US at arm's length. But all that buys them is operating room, and their ability to project beyond their backyard was limited to Wagner. Their economy has been poo poo and their space program has been decaying at an ever-increasing rate.
So yeah, if you're far away and are a dictator or dictator wanna-be you can get some decent firepower behind you, but if Russia wasn't invited in they couldn't muscle in. Their military simply isn't a credible invasion force (unless you border them already)--and that was true then as well as now.

China's economic alliances are far more of a threat to american interests. And they, too, have enough nukes to delete anyone on earth and no one is second guessing their nukes' viability if they had to launch.

Russia wasn't inconsequential, but it also wasn't the biggest threat to the US outside of everyone-dies-anyway nuclear war.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

zone posted:

Yes, but it wasn't one launcher, but a whole battery and their radars.

Now this is potentially some Actual Content. How do you even lose an entire spread-out battery?

...wait, they just parked all the systems next to each other, didn't they?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

wait, India and Russia were both landing stuff within days of each other? Were they competing? Just a orbital timing thing where it was advantageous? India's lander was actually offensive and damaged Russia's, right?

Unlike other bodies in the solar system, there isn't much incentive to wait for an optimal window for the moon outside of time of day. So one or the other was competing, or it was just incredible coincidence.

Edit: ^^ Exactly. You can take fuel-efficient long treks to it or you can come in burning. In Russia's case, they just hit the emergency brake from ludicrous speed and held it too long so their deceleration into captured orbit became a lithobraking trajectory.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 23, 2023

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Issaries posted:

In Moons case the day is almost the length of a Earths month. India timed the landing to start of the lunar day to get most out of their solar panels.

Ach, good point. Forgot about the tidally locked long day. Yeah, that would definitely limit your launch window for a specific landing area. I was thinking more of just the "Get into orbit" phase, but yeah--no sense leaving it parked there when you could just time the launch better.

You can do some crazy Expanse-course-plotting stuff with a tiny injection motor, if you have the patience for it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Tigey posted:

He fell out of the plane window.

At 30,000 feet

Dammit, you beat me to it. Well played. :golfclap:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Ukraine should make inflatable decoy hospitals and schools and theaters and such

They serve both as decoys and as bouncy castles. Win/win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Don't forget that they're raiding the pension funds of their citizens.