Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Real question for our IK-Mod-Admins watching this thread like a Globalhawk:

How much of a celebration can we hold in here if/when its announced that monstrous goblin Kadryov is dead? Like a full page of dance gifs or can we just repost sombre and equivocating PBS/NPR grade announcement tweets without putting this thread back into double-secret probation?

Fucker's obit doesn't deserve more than a "Good" and humanity collectively moving on from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FirstnameLastname posted:

yes, i wouldn't ever bother bringing that up to people actually fighting them, it doesn't matter for them, and isn't possible to make matter until the conflict is over
the people I was responding to aren't Ukrainian soldiers though, and were mirroring that black/white mindset of being in a war, that's why i brought it up :razorfront:

The thing is, it is black and white. Or to be more accurate, it's binary. Russia is the aggressor, fighting a completely baseless and fairly monstrous war of aggression, and it is objectively bad every time that is rewarded. And it's good every time they are hurt. And the innate humanity of the average Russian soldier, while entirely worth remembering, doesn't change that. It's good every time Russia takes losses. Period. The best possible outcome for humanity is for Russia to suffer the worst possible conditions in all facets of their entire army to help encourage this situation to not become a thing they or anyone else try to repeat in the near future.

Same as Vietnam, as was mentioned. We hosed around in that country for nearly 20 years, and the only thing that got us out was being so psychically brutalized that it could no longer be ignored. It's not like we couldn't have kept fighting physically. We had troops and equipment. Our will needed to be broken to get us out of the country, and it was. Did every American soldier deserve whatever happened to them, were they all monsters? Of course not. Were their deaths necessary in a practical sense, the only way to truly end the conflict? Yes. If it didn't hurt as badly as it did fuckers in charge would have stayed in that country another 10 years if they could.

And that's sad, and infuriating.....but also, there's only so much you can beat the poo poo out of yourself over required actions in bad situations. "I LUST FOR ORK DEATH RAR RAR RAR!" is obviously hosed up, sure, but so is constantly whipping oneself for perceived sins in every action. There is nothing wrong with being happy when Russia suffers setbacks, even if the reality of "Setback" is actually "A lot of Russian soldiers died brutally". One doesn't have to do pelvic thrusts and let off an air horn every time a tank gets lit the gently caress up, but it's perfectly fine to acknowledge that it's always good when Russia is being hurt over this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He's a bear, camps are good things to him!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

And let's say Ukraine mounts the counter offensive of the century and thoroughly pushes out all the russians to the borders of 2014. Then what? They're still neighbors with doctor dipshit and the armies of the seven muppets. The gently caress you do with that?

Militarize the poo poo out of the border, rebuild your civilian infrastructure, operate under the assumption that Russia will build up to try again. Join whatever multinational organizations you can, be it the EU or NATO. And then, to the best of your ability, get on with your life. Realistically speaking the best they could do short of getting their old nukes back is joining NATO or the EU and then placing an international base right up against Russia, force them to truly make it an international war if they want to try again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Little dudes just like natural construction projects, it comforts them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

XYZAB posted:

that's the power of JESUS :angel:

edit: if you can believe that a white dude in israel turned water into wine and sand into fish 2000 years ago and then came back to life after he was publicly executed or whatever the gently caress, your brain is already primed to believe the dumbest grifter poo poo anyone can throw at you. this is the common thread that binds them: blind faith. if you're looking for a cultural event that happened to make both sides' chuds think so much alike, you'll want to investigate the possibility that Jesus was a psyop invented by the Roman heads of state to control the uppity jewish population by replacing them with a docile idiot population. somewhere along the line it got a little bit out of control, and all bets have been off ever since. thanks for coming to my ted talk.

edit 2: look at me i'm in an anime avatar sandwich

I love the transition from "People that believe in Jesus are so loving stupid" immediately into the stupidest loving conspiracy theory nonsense. People are people, and I am endlessly entertained by that fact.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Is that trash panda high, I've never seen a raccoon that chill and affectionate before.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

beer_war posted:

How have people not caught on to fizzy's gimmick yet?

Nobody reads that poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Starsfan posted:

do not thread ban the catpetter, his posting in CSPAM will only intensify if he has no other outlets

Is that physically possible?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

What was Russia supposed to get out of the grain deal, and were those terms fulfilled?

It seems less like Russia 'backed out' and more like the west never actually fulfilled its end of the bargain and after a year Russia's good faith efforts ran out.

There's faster ways to get a probation.

e: Like everyone knows how this ends, at least speedrun it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Hail Satan, Slava Ukraini and don't feed trolls

I was going to feed the trolls, but Russia bombed my grain shipments and 3 orphanages in the name of world peace.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

I really thought that was Seagal from the tiny preview and almost died of an irony overload.

RIP Julian Sands, you were a real one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Who the gently caress has spared a single thought for Hillary Clinton in years?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

god please help me posted:

As a leftist, I'm so pissed at the failings of Hillary that I'm going to support the active invasion/genocide of another country.

Eta: oh yeah, and buy $400 of jpegs i guess.

It's not the money. Some people have high paying jobs and can throw out a few hundred like it's nothing. What they can't cheat is the time spent setting up properly sized individual avatars and going through the process of assigning them to each person. Christ even if you just had a bunch of them ready for....some reason....that's still each person you are going through to do it.

Easily had to have been like half an hour just sitting there giving people Hilldawg Avatars.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

Well, that sucks, wonder what the range is.

Less than the missiles that can track the jamming signal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Guns for Taylor Swift tickets and you could buy every Ukrainian a tomahawk

For Taylor Swift tickets I'll loving tomahawk Putin myself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

The US only entered WW1 on April of 1917. So it was either done under non-war economy or ramped up in under 8 months using 1917 technology.

You forgot the third option: The United States is a massive war profiteer and was already ramped up to sell arms to people during WW1, even before they officially entered the fight. Which is, you know, the actual answer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Ukrainians dragging crimean settlers in the street to maim would be pretty horrific and wouldnt get much sympathy

.....wanna bet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It’s funny but when I was writing my post I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that I was forgetting something, lol.

Yep, you’re right.

What we need are food replicators and tri-corders, although there are reasonable facsimiles of the latter as a field medical device using algorithms to determine a variety of things using tissue and blood samples and a smartphone and less focus on laser blasters but laser blasters will be a thing long before the other two.

Nah, making a laser that can replace a gun is a really long way away. Making something for naval or aviation use to shoot down missiles or whatever is one thing, making something in the roughly ten-ish pound range that a rando can carry that will kill a person at a distance? That's really, really hard. We need like two separate revolutions in power generation and battery technology before that can happen. The tri-corder thing, not as much. You might just live to see that one.

Replicators though, that's just magic. At the point we have that society as you can reasonably understand it is over.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

wit posted:

This is all kinds of yikes. There's a lot of private work during wars sure, but this is straight up human trafficking.

I feel really bad for the mercenaries that were just trying to get paid off other people's suffering.

No wait, what's the other thing?

gently caress'em.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

The estimates are that ukraine kills 5 russians for every ukranian killed and that is still not enough for ukraine to win.

I mean.....yeah it is. Russia doesn't have a population five times Ukraine. If both sides decide "Ok we are doing this" Russia dies first with those numbers.

It's mostly just saying "Russia stronk!" and that inevitably Ukraine will simply give up. Ok, what if they don't? Ukraine as a nation is destroyed, but so is Russia. Where is the belief that Russia inevitably will deal with collapse better coming from? It's not the manifest reality of their incompetence, or the bumblefuck of a near coup that almost kind of happened recently. There hasn't been a single sign of Russia dealing well with hardship at all, come to think of it. So really, where is this mindset coming from?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Comstar posted:

You could call it a global defence...initiative.

Not sure who plays the part of the Brotherhood of Nod. I guess it would be the Republican party.

Kane did nothing to deserve that comparison.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
"I mean they talk about how they sent a ton of people at this hill and they all died, and then they did it again and again, and when they took the hill they all got shelled and lost the hill, but nobody ever explicitly said the words 'Human wave tactics' so it could be anything.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I just pop into the Ukraine threads from time to time, I have no special sources.

....so your source is "I made it the gently caress up"?