Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

slurm posted:

I just don't know what leg I have to stand on here as an American lmao

Time matters. We like to talk as though it doesn't but it does. If you were an European colonist in the 1700-1800s building "your home" on "your property" which was recently stolen native lands, then yes, it would be a fair moral comparison. It doesn't make you a hypocrite to note that imperialism and colonization are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turtle Watch posted:

The larger question of what Crimea’s future looks like does interest me though.

I listened to an interview with Ben Hodges earlier today (whom I have to assume has a pretty good idea what he's talking about) and he thinks that by mid-year Ukraine will have the manpower and equipment it needs to cut the "land bridge" and take Mariupol and/or Melitopol, once that happens they're close enough to the Kerch bridge to take that out. That would completely isolate Crimea and make the Russian position untenable. If that's what you mean by it's future then we might learn that as soon as June/July.

If you mean what does its longer term future look like, then nobody knows. The knock-on effects of the war will last for decades or even centuries if after the war mass graves full of civilians start being found everywhere.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

fizzy posted:

Why do you assume Ben Hodges has a pretty good idea what he's talking about?

He's not just some random pundit ex-general though. He was the commander NATO ground forces while Russia was invading Crimea, prior to retirement.

He certainly knows many many times more about war, armies, and logistics than I could ever hope to though and I at least take his opinion seriously. I have no reason not to. I'm open to being given one if there is.

This is turning into DND style post, so I'm real loving sorry about that.

quote:

The timeline for that has, of course, not been specified.

It is reasonable to expect that Russia could be pushed all the way back to pre-February 24 lines, before the end of this year. I think it is very possible.

The full restoration of Crimea and Donbas, I think that is going to take longer. But that we should be publically committed to that as policy — that we want them, that that is the desired outcome.

That's the full quote of what he said about that and it looks like a pretty reasonable speculation given what was happening at the time. That was in May and in September Ukraine pushed Russian right out of northern Ukraine.

Anyway here's the whole 90 minute interview timestamped at the part where he talks about Ukrainian forces, what he thinks they're capable of, and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcK87PT2yxs&t=4448s

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Slugworth posted:

Even something like cutting Crimea off from Russia has certain implications, as far as making life untenable there for Russian transplants.

It would make the Russian military position untenable. Ukraine is incredibly conscious that its survival depends on western aid and western commitment to supplying that aid. There is no way it's going to attack civilians or even attack Russian positions if they have good reason to believe doing so would end in civilian casualties. And in attacking civilians I include things like starving them. Ukraine and its allies will be more than happy to supply any civilians in Crimea or surrendered Russians with all the food and water they need. The only reason food and water would not reach civilians in Crimea is the Russians do something to stop it.

Footage (that isn't another bad Russian fake) of starving Crimeans or dead civilians caused by Ukrainian attacks could lose the entire war for Ukraine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

fizzy posted:

Ukraine already cut off Crimea's water supply in 2014 after the Russian annexation, though.

This does not justify Russia's invasion of Ukraine, of course, but it's worth pointing out because the best antidote to Russia's onslaught of lies, deceit and propaganda is factual truth.

I'm well aware. I did not create any kind of humanitarian crisis. Did anyone die of thirst or starvation as a result? There was plainly enough drinking water left for everyone. Any excess water beyond that is an economic resource they were right to deny the enemy. Why should Russia get to profit off the grain and the industry they just stole?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They could make a wicked spice bag out of them though. I'll eat any old mystery meat that's sufficiently battered, deep fried, and coated with salt, spices, and spring onions.

They could call them squirrel sacks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
From what I understood from the video it's more an evolution of the second part of their anti-mech tactics. They have infantry teams going in with anti-tank weapons that take out the lead and rear vehicles. It's at that point that tanks and artillery start trying to hit vehicles stuck in the middle. It's just that now that they've found a way to put their tanks out of counter-fire range while they do it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
More to the point: Why repair it if nobody is going to buy the gas? At least not any time soon.

I think up until mid last year Russia probably could have withdrawn and relations would have returned to something like they were before the invasion.

That's not happening now.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

fizzy posted:

Couldn't the Russians also be down-playing their successes / over-exaggerating their setbacks to lure the Ukrainian into over-extending their forces? Why take Russian propaganda at face value, when they are known to be habitual liars?

They might be but literally everything on that channel is for internal consumption. It's who they're lying to that matters in this context and it's not for Ukraine. I also think they'd have a hard time bullshitting Ukraine about the actual situation since they know exactly how many vehicles they've destroyed, how many shells have been fired at them, roughly how many soldiers they've killed, and that's fairly easily checkable against known Russian capabilities. The Russians can hide a little bit but not enough for anyone to drastically underestimate what they've got. With all the eyes they have on them at the moment if they're somehow concealing a significant force somewhere then it's been one of the most brilliantly executed military operations ever. It's up there with the inflatable tanks and disinformation campaign before D-day.

Earlier in the war I'd see these and ask "How does them saying than help keep Putin in power?" and usually the answer would be pretty obvious.

These days I have no idea, but I don't bother watching them much. I think maybe they're trying to reinforce the sense of helplessness and nihilism in Russia?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Alchenar posted:

I think RUSI were on to the answer here: from the tactical level upwards the Russian system punishes any admission of failure, so everyone reports massive success. Because this remains true at every step in the chain upwards there's every incentive to repeat the story of massive success while failures are mysterious and unavoidable surprises that are Nobody's Fault.

The result is a system where everyone knows that the stats they have are nonsense and they can't possibly have destroyed 50 HIMARS last week, but there's no person in the system who can call that out so the number keeps getting repeated as 'true' all the way to the point where its published.

That's obvious but sometimes you have segments like the one in the clip where the actors seem despondent and melancholy about the way things are going.

I don't speak Russian so I can't (and don't want to) watch that show in full to see the context it's in. It might be that they're being set up as the gutless sad sack for every other person on the show to argue against. Or it might be that their purpose is to get through to the people that know that things are going terribly for Russia and instil a sense of nihilism in them so they don't try to change things.

I don't have a point. It's just one the things about Russian society that I don't get.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
We all want peace, but it's always just out of reach.

So, what's the best to get peace?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The narrative now is in Russia's favour. They're not being beaten by Ukraine they're fighting a war against the entire West. That's not entirely untrue BUT the most important defeat Russia faced was at the beginning of the war when Ukraine alone stopped the Russian advance in its tracks with only fairly cheap western anti-tank weapons and the army they already had - which was almost entirely dated Russian equipment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think that narrative even sells in Russia, so I don't think this is true. Most Russians just want to ignore the war more than take sides.

I don't know what Russians think. I can only guess at what the government wants them to think and I'm cynical enough to believe that a majority of Russians either believe or don't spend much time questioning what they're being told.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Philonius posted:

Wow, those drones have considerably more lift that I would have thought. If those are 155mm shells, that's 40kg hanging under each.

The average (non-American) could hold one in each hand and fly away.

Oh I'm not falling for it. There's no way they can lift those.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just saw a CGI re-enactment of the incident over the Black Sea today. Not even mad at those Russian pilots, it was 100% funny what they did.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrassRoots posted:

Did they throw a pie in its face?

No but they did piss on it and then teabag it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Power Khan posted:

Idk what the real numbers of casualties are, but this country is on it's 2nd wave of mobilization now. Where's the initial invasion force of ~+200k AND the 1st wave of mobbiks?

Russia doesn't value human life at all so it doesn't matter where they are. They're gone and they need more. Don't think about it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The hesitancy of NATO to properly arm Ukraine is so frustrating and terrifying.

I feel like the frustration needs no explanation but the terror comes from the fact that Russia's threats are being taken seriously and are incredibly effective at deterring NATO.

31 Abrams? They could send hundreds, no problem.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vengarr posted:

They would also have to send the ocean of jet fuel, mountain of spare parts and pallets of ammunition hundreds of Abrams would require through the same extremely stressed railroads currently supplying all of Ukraines’ military needs.

If the Black Sea was available for shipping you would see the floodgates open. Right now they have to be much more selective.

These are easily solvable logistical problems. The US/NATO could arm Ukraine in such a way that would 100% win the war in a matter of months, weeks even. The reason they don't is political/ they're deterred by Russia's nuclear threats.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lmao did they get a pizza delivered to active combat zone?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I put it to google translate and got Tropas de desembarco de gran movilidad de Ucrania back.

I ran that through google translate and got this: Wysoce mobilne wojska desantowe Ukrainy

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I'm guessing they don't do May Day parades there anymore but surely they're not going to cancel victory day parades in the middle of a war?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah wtf. Which cereal box did you learn ancient history from?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think half-assing it will ever be a problem for the Ukrainians, but I am legitimately worried that this it for them. If they don't manage to retake their country with what they have now then they're gonna get off and pressured into accepting a peace where Russia gets to keep whatever it still holds onto.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What internet shitholes are you guys burrowing into that you feel the need to constantly mock all these dumbass positions that nobody here is taking?

Who cares what some hypothetical people that are not posting here might say in any given situation?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, I guess that makes sense. I don't use social media so I never feel the need to argue with people that aren't around to read it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lammasu posted:

I'm not saying this isn't 100% a good thing but wouldn't that lead to lot of unemployed mercenaries in Africa?

No the demand for mercenaries will remain the same.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TulliusCicero posted:

...What is even the point of continuing this war?

It's an entire country committing economic/ generational suicide like Sweden in the 30 Years War. It's just a giant cultural temper tantrum.

Glory. For some people to fight and win a war is a reason in and of itself.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Xlorp posted:

Offbeat idea. The USA is chock full of personal firearms and ammo. And lots of citizens dying in entirely predictable and preventable means.

What say we ship it all over to Ukraine.
Perhaps an agency such as the National Guard can receive all donations for central sorting. Useful stuff gets sent over in useful groupings. The rest gets safely destroyed and/or recycled.
It's the patriotic American thing to do. Let your firearm be used to fight for freedom. Help solve two problems at once globally.

Anyone displaying or brandishing firearms like an idiot after that is a nihilistic, fascist sympathizer. Before as well, but now it's a public statement and political act of ill intent.

There are more than enough small arms in Ukraine. Dumping a whole bunch of extra guns into a society going through extreme trauma isn't going to help. If anything it would just be exporting an American problem into Ukraine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm pretty sure the Russia position is that none of their missiles have been intercepted. Have they ever actually acknowledged one?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh this is completely the wrong thread. Sorry.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 19, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not quite. Throwing eggs at a house is harmless. They're trying to murder people. It's more akin to randomly shooting into a crowd of people.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

bratwurst massage posted:

Yeah I know. But the sheer stupidity...

And I agree with you completely that it's as petty, childish, and pointlessly mean as egging a house. It's just that the outcome is a few orders of magnitude worse.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have to learn that when there's 200 new posts ITT it's not because something happened in Ukraine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How credible is this? Do we have independent corroboration?

Notice the words "could be" and "close" in the sentence.

Let me rephrase the whole thing "We might be approaching a point where we'd be near to a tactical encirclement". It's nothing.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 21, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's not true people love improv comics. Colin Mockery, Ryan Stiles, and the list goes all.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only way it could be funnier is if it turns out most, if not all, of the Russian army is already in Ukraine and these guys just have relative free reign to run around inside Russia.

Those good troops have gotta be around there, somewhere, in wait...

It is pretty much all in Ukraine and they do seem to have a fairly free reign at the moment. I don't expect it to remain like that but it seems to be true at the moment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What does "again worked for five plus." mean?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

zone posted:

He's sarcastically saying they did a superb job by allowing this to happen instead of anticipating it and preparing something for it.

I get the sarcastic tone of the whole thing but that particular part is lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My guess is that it's because all of their soldiers are in Ukraine and they're afraid to divert them too hastily in case that's the whole plan.